Start by marking “Relay (Changing Lanes, #1)” as Want to Read:
Relay (Changing Lanes, #1)

Relay (Changing Lanes #1)

3.75  ·  Rating details ·  417 Ratings  ·  136 Reviews
Captain is not a title Alejandro “Alex” Cantu takes lightly. Elected by his teammates to helm the US Men’s Swim Team, he proudly accepts the role, despite juggling endless training, team administrative work, and helping out on the family farm. And despite his ex-lover, Dane Ellis—swimming’s biggest star—also making the Olympic Team.

Dane has been a pawn in his celebrity par
Published January 8th 2018 by Riptide Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Relay, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Relay

Optimist ♰King's Wench♰ & MANTIES Champion
2.5 Hearts

Spoilerish?

I was so excited for this book and trust me when I say I wanted so badly to love it. There were things that I liked but on the whole it was mostly a miss for me. However, please bear in mind this is coming from a sports fanatic so, grain of salt.

It started off rough. Both Dane and Alex have tempers and tend to become physical when they're angry. Big 'no' for me there but I pushed on and things did approve somewhat after Alex called the truce around 30%. They continue to be p
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
*2.5 stars*

Decent story that gets bogged down with melodrama.

When I read a sports story about Olympic athletes I honestly expect something more... realistic. I mean, these guys acted like children. I wanted more discipline or something, something to make this story feel more grounded.

There is so much guilt and resentment here that it's hard to find the romance underneath. I had a hard time believing that a summer fling from 14 years ago would be so impactful on day to day life. I get that there
Mirjana **DTR - Down to Read**

***3.75 Stars***

He'd loved Alex from across the pool and across a dorm room, then from across the country and across the years. Across everything that had stood between them.

Oh the HATE LUST is strong in this one!

Dane and Alex were each other's first loves, and 10 years ago Dane turned his back on Alex because of his parents' stronghold on him. Parents whose entire focus is on their image.

Now reunited as teammates, Alex can't let go of the anger, disappointment, rejection, and still ever p
Elsa Bravante
Jan 11, 2018 rated it it was ok
Una decepción. Llevaba tiempo esperando que se publicara, ¿qué puede ser más apetecible que un libro de nadadores? Poca cosa. Pero al final, es la historia la que ha resultado poca cosa.

Alex y Dane y su amor de segundas oportunidades se queda en un bluff, con un desarrollo de los protagonistas muy superficial, un plot con agujeros y con muchos momentos de entornar los ojos ya sea por poco creíbles o por ridículos. Los personajes son nadadores, son majetes, son buenas personas, pero tienen 26 año
Renée
Dec 03, 2017 added it
Shelves: dnf, martyr-bullshit
DNF at 21%

This one isn't for me. Which is a shame since I did enjoy the Agents Irish and Whiskey series.

But what we get here is a whole lotta martyr complex, grown men in their late twenties throwing tantrums like three year olds, and zero communication.

How else would we treat someone we love and miss? Be unusually cruel at all times, right?

Right.

Sorry, but I can't keep pushing myself to continue.

Hollis
I'm not really sure how I feel about RELAY.

The beginning of the first book in Reyne's new series started off pretty rocky. We have almost-thirty year olds acting like children, causing problems for their team (Olympic mind you, not some intramural gang), which thankfully started to mellow out near the middle, mixed in with a poster boy full of regret, shame, and anger over how he lets his parents dictate his life drama and how he has none of what he truly wants despite his privilege and stardom
Diana
Jan 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley-arc
4 Te amo Stars

I am a huge fan of this author and I couldn’t wait to get my hands on this little gem.

Alex Cantu is Captain of the US Swim Team getting ready for the Olympics in Madrid. Although he didn’t really want to be Captain, he takes his position seriously working with the Olympic veterans and mentoring the newbies. What he is not used to, is having to deal with the “poster boy” of the Olympic Swim Team, Dane Ellis. Ten years ago, Alex and Dane had a teenage romance, and since Dane though
J *deep in the heart of Texas*
While I didn't enjoy this one *quite* as much as the Irish and Whiskey series, it was still good.

Yes, there's some martyrdom going on with Dane and some lack of communication but I was still almost always engaged in the story.

My one complaint would probably be Dane's heinous parents. And while, I didn't always agree with or like the way Dane acted....in the end I thought he made up for it.

I'm definitely looking of forward to Jacob and Seb's book.
.Lili.
Aug 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m, arc-netgalley

I have to admit that the cover whore in me was immediately intrigued- cause, well gorgeous cover! Then the blurb finished hooking me in.

Relay by Layla Reyne was different than I anticipated but in a right way. I was expecting a fluffier enemies to lovers story. You know, some UST that eventually led to an HEA, but what we got was way more than that.

Some highlights:

-Dane and Alex. These men came from two different places, but once they came together, it was... beautiful.

-Enemies to lovers. I l
Nora
Jan 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
There's a reason Layla Reyne is on my Must-Buy list; only she could get me this hyped about a swim team. It'd be easy to fall back on tropes with so many pieces to juggle, but she never once loses her footing. The ensemble team is lovingly crafted, with personalities and stories of their own, and the pressures of preparing for the upcoming Olympics are handled with a deft hand. And Alex and Dane? In a word: flawless. Protect them 2KAlways.

RELAY is a story about an Olympics team coming together,
Natasha
Review also on my blogTwitterBookstagram

I received an arc from the publisher via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

Relay follows Dane and Alex, short for Alejandro. Alex has just been made captain of the US Men's Swim Team, while being openly gay and Mexican. Dane is a star swimmer who has just made the team. He's the son of a famous preacher, putting him in the public eye.  The two are also ex-boyfriends. They met when they were sixteen at a swimming training camp and were roomma
haletostilinski
4.5 Stars!

I loved Layla Reyne's debut series Irish & Whiskey, it was one of my favorites that I read this year. So I was excited that we were getting a brand new series from this author, I was excited to see her writing outside of the Irish & Whiskey world.

description

And I've been waiting to read this for months, just waiting for it I was that excited! And I can honestly say that Layla Reyne did NOT disappoint with her first book outside the debut series that put her on the map.

From the first page
Mandi Schreiner
Not a fan of this one. The antics of the olympic athletes on this team were ridiculous. And then there was a hacking scheme?? And over-the-top parents...meanwhile the romance gets lost.

Review to come
Laxmama
Nov 07, 2017 rated it liked it
ARC provided for me. I was looking forward to this book, sports romance and second chances are my thing. Yet this just was not for me. A few things: IMO it almost felt like two books, the first half written one way then a 180 turn around in the second half. The behavior of professional athletes who returning to Olympic games was both unprofessional and far fetched. Lastly I question the bond of a 14 year old summer fling after 10 years. I may take a chance on book 2, both those characters felt i ...more
Marion
I enjoyed this story and can’t wait for the second book in this duology. I read the reviews and was totally prepared for the bad behaviour at the beginning of the story. I was still entertained. It’s not perfect, the MC’s are sometimes annoying, the story perhaps jumping the rails a bit near the end...but I was still entertained. Sometimes, that’s all I’m looking for, to be entertained.
Messy review:

I felt that the romance aspect of the novel was lost due to the over-the-top plot line. We have hacking, rich helicopter parents, doping, the drama on the team ... add to that second chance romance with no chemistry, and I just didn't feel it.

I really didn't care that much for the love interests. Dane was an overgrown child who really needed to grow a backbone. Alex was childish and not cut out for captain of an Olympic team. I also didn't believe their romance - I mean, they fe
Joyfully Jay
Jan 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: jay
A Joyfully Jay review.

I am a huge fan of Layla Reyne’s romantic suspense Agents Irish and Whiskey series, so I was really excited to see what she could do with a more straight contemporary. Relay has many elements I really love, including an enemies to lovers story and a focus on elite athletes. I can also see Reyne’s style here, particularly with the bit of a suspense storyline toward the end of the book. The focus here is on the relationship between Alex and Dane, but it is set under
Sami
Jan 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
4 super adorable stars!

Okay so I am OBSSED with the enemies to lovers trope and this book FREAKING NAILED IT!! Seriously soooo cute! I totally love Alex and Dane!

Alex Cantu is the captain of the US Men's Swim Team and has all the responsibilities that comes along with it. He juggles swimming, his captainship, working, and taking care of
Nichole (DirrtyH)
Sep 25, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018, m-m, kindle-lendable

Difficult to rate, because there was so much I really loved about this story. But it kind of unraveled there toward the end with a lot of melodrama, and that whole thing where you somehow guess someone's computer password by looking at the pictures and mementos they have at their desk?

Ultimately I did like the book and I will definitely read the next one. I really enjoy sports romances and this one had all the stuff I like. If you liked the book The Understatement of the Year by Sarina
Natalie
Jan 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
oooh i loved this. i'm all about second chance romance, and I was engaged from the beginning. Not gonna lie these boys frustrated meeee cuz I was just like omg please just talk this out!! But I enjoyed the back and forth, although I did want to throttle both of them when the thing!! happened with M cuz le gasp! :O but I still loved that push and pull between Alex and Dane.

Whooo boy Dane's parents tho, I despise them but we were supposed to but damn...would not save if drowning let's just put th
Alex
Jan 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sport-romance
Well. Layla Reyne definitely is in my list of author to follow because this book was very good. Just like the Irish & Whiskey series. Not the same tone though. But that's good too.

I loved Dane. So much. I have a soft spot for men that are bullied by their family and Dane was so vulnerable at the beginning... It squeezed at my poor heart.

description

So. We have Dane and Alex who are selected in the same swimming team to perform at the olympic games.
They met 10 years ago at a summer camp and they fell in
Alisa

This is an enemies to lovers story about two guys who end up on the Olympic team together. They first met as teens and feel for each other. Dane is not out though and as a result he shuts Alex out. Over the years they keep tabs on each other but have not been back together in ten years.

I had to suspend reality pretty early on. These two haven't seen each other in ten years but have built this huge amount of animosity that totally overshadows their lives. I didn't buy it but I went along
Jessica Alcazar
I had high hopes for this ... really high hopes and I can't believe I'm about to type this BUT this story, this story was really good ... the book, not even a little. I have so many issues I'm not sure which ones to share and which ones to just say whatever LOL .... full review coming soon.
Guilty Pleasures Book Reviews

I couldn’t resist this book about swimmers on the road to the Olympics and a love lost years ago when they were teens. A look at the rigors of training for the Olympics, controlling parents, jealousy, friendship, life and love, I thoroughly enjoyed Relay by Layla Reyne.

Alejandro “Alex” Cantu has more on his plate than any 26 year old should have; worry over his mother’s chemo treatments, the family farm needing extra help while he is away for Olympic training and the games, working extra shifts
Jess
This book just felt so small. The Olympic swim team is HUGE and I had no real sense of that, because you only really got names for a handful of swimmers. And the financial stuff for Dane didn't seem realistic, because I'm willing to bet a lawyer could have broken a trust to get out money from his sponsorship earnings.

Great cover, though.
Don Bradshaw
I enjoyed this lovers to enemies to lovers story. It was difficult to feel sorry to feel sorry for Dane. He let both his parents and sponsors rule his life at his age. I'm a fool for the whole gay athlete trope as I was one in my youth. I am looking forward to learning more about Bas in the next book.
Apolishedreader
I really enjoyed this book. I C.A.N.N.O.T. wait for the next book!
Full review to come.
Isabella ~Mikku-chan~

Relay was a really superb sports romance with a topic I haven't read before if I go through my book list. Not only was the pacing, the way how the sports - the competive swimming - displayed, right from the start the hate between Alex and Dane is visible. But this hate is based on hard feelings caused by broken hearts. It's really captivating how Layla Reyne made it believable that they "hate" each other although th
Kristie
Jan 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
So, I have a lot of feelings about this book. Because feelings are strong, I find it hard to articulate. If I could post a video of me waving my hands all around, maybe doing some charades, jumping up and down, making strange faces, and maybe floating a spoiler or two, that would be easier. Since that’s not going to happen, let me try and tell you what I think.

What I think is that this is a strong start to this series and I loved it. I loved it even though it had me frustrated and sad, pissed of
Cheryl
2.5*
I so wanted to like this book. I mean, what's not to love? guy's in skimpy speedos and... well let's face it, that should be enough right?! Sadly, it was far from enough. This was all a bit too far-fetched for my liking.

Alex (Alejandro) is doing just fine (kinda). He works hard to help support his family's farm. He already feels guilty about 'deserting' them when his mother is so ill but he's following his hard worked for dream. He's captain of the swim team and their focus is on the olympic
Author Layla Reyne was raised in North Carolina and now calls San Francisco home. She enjoys weaving her bi-coastal experiences into her stories, along with adrenaline fueled suspense and heart pounding romance. When she’s not writing stories to excite her readers, she downloads too many books, watches too much television, and cooks too much food with her scientist husband, much to the delight of ...more

Changing Lanes (2 books)
  • Medley (Changing Lanes, #2)