Start by marking “The King's Favorite (Daughters of Avalon, #1)” as Want to Read:
The King's Favorite (Daughters of Avalon, #1)

The King's Favorite

(Daughters of Avalon #1)

It has been five years since King Stephen took the English throne. The border lands are fraught with tensions. Loyalties are uncertain. Only the strong will hold their lands, and behind every strong man is an even stronger woman.

The eldest of five daughters born to King Henry's mistress, Elspeth fears she and her sisters will be used as pawns in the wars to come. When h
ebook
Published June 26th 2018 by Oliver-Heber Books

To ask other readers questions about The King's Favorite, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The King's Favorite

April
The King's Favorite (Daughters of Avalon Book 1) by Tanya Anne Crosby is a riveting new series, with bold characters and a suspenseful storyline. Her multi-dimensional characters and rich, detailed story lines will pull the reader into her story and hold them in complete and utter awesomeness.
Fast paced, well crafted and intriguing story. The characters are fantastic, charming and engaging. The storyline will capture your attention and hold you in awe as you follow  Elspeth Pendragon, the
Kathleen
Didn't know what to expect going into this one, entered to win because it looked interesting and then saw it recommended on a few blogs I follow. So when I won I was excited but guarded... I hate being disappointed. Happy note, I really enjoyed this story! this was a first read for me by this author so I had no background from the previous series, I didn't feel lost. After exploring the writer and seeing the other series I can see where it may have enriched the story having that background knowl ...more
Kathy Brickert
Jun 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful beginning for a new series!

Loved it! Took me a bit before I realised this was Pages step son! I love it when books and families are linked! Although it is a stand alone novel, you get a richness and depth to the story if you've read Tanya's other books. Great start! I can't wait to see where it goes! Wonderful read!
Barbee
Jul 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Book: The King’s Favorite
By Tanya Anne Crosby

Series: Daughters of Avalon, Book 1

Reviewed by: Barb Massabrook (of)
Tartan Book Reviews
Purple Tulip Book Reviews
Celtic Barb’s Tartan Book Review Blog

Heat Rating: Sweet, loving and passionate🔥

Overall rating: 5 Stars/ 5 Kilts

Llanthony Priory, Wales
Late summer, 1148

I have been waiting for this novel since 1992 just needed Malcom to grow up. This novel ties in with (The MacKinnon Bride
Ira
Jun 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ebook
Okay, I can't say that I didn't put the book down because I did. For several days. Honestly? A couple of pages in, my heart was broken. I was so upset about the things that I read there about sweet little Malcolm (at least, once upon a time in another book he was sweet and little), that it took me some days to get over it and read on. And then I barely put it down anymore because it was so good!

What I really love about the books by this author, is her manner of weaving a story by combining hist
Debbie Glenn Brown
Jun 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Elspeth and her sisters are the illegitimate daughters of dead, King Henry, and have been kept in a monastery for years. Elspeth the oldest of the sister fears they will all be used as pawns in their Mother’s games as her pawns to gain power. Morwen, their mom just happens to be an evil witch with plans of her own for her off spring, so the sister decide to help Elspeth to escape. They believe Elspeth’s “gift” can help their sister Matilde win the throne.
Not wanting to face the wrath of a new
Maria Dariotis
Jun 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was an EPIC read! Be prepared to sacrifice sleep for this story – I did. There are so many devious twists and turns in this plot that you never know who to trust. This was well written with so much descriptive detail I felt that I was a living bystander in the story!
Elspeth is one of five ilegitamate daughters to the now deceased King Henry by his very devious mistress Morwen. A woman so power hungry she’ll use her daughters in advantageous marriages to control the realm. Morwen is so
Sandra Standefer
Jun 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Fearing her "gifts" will be used to defeat her sister Matilda, Elspeth Pendragon escapes the Black Mountain priory that has sheltered her and her sisters since their father's death, only to find herself indebted to, of all men, a Scotsman, whose loyalties are in question. Left to face the wrath of a new sovereign, Malcom Scott is forced to swear fealty to Stephen of Blois in order to keep the castle he won by slaying his own grandfather. But having done that, he's pitted himself against Scotia, ...more
Petula
Jun 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Elspeth and her sisters are the illegitimate daughters of dead, King Henry, and have been kept in a monastery for years. Now their mother who is once again the mistress of the King, has found a use for them. If she can punish them at the same time, that is a bonus.
Mother and daughters are all "Daughters of Avalon" and have special powers. The mother is extremely dangerous and evil. The girls are innocent and are not used to using their growing powers.
The time has come for a showdown. The thron
E J
Jun 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing

Elspeth is the eldest of five illegitimate daughters of a dead english king. These girls, each who have mystical gifts inherited from the female line of their ancestors, have been sequestered at an out of the way priory since they were children by their mother. Sensing that old “mom”, who, just happens to be an evil witch who gives new meaning to the phrase “she’s had a little work done”, has something nasty in store for Elspeth, the sisters urge her to flee the priory. While on the run, she hap
Maria
Jun 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I am so happy this author has returned with a brand new series with a character from a past tale. Malcolm and Elspeth both have very intriguing things that have happened in their lives. Each have secrets. There is danger, intrigue a bit of mystic and a developing love. This for me, is a series that will give me hours of enjoyment. I look forward to the other sister's stories. Everyone has explained the plot and I just want to say how this story drew me in. In was because of this talented author' ...more
Ann L
Shelves: reviewed
At last, the start of another epic series The Daughters of Avalon, by the weaver of tales Tanya Anne Crosby, and we are transported into a time when magic was abound, Elspeth and her sister's each have a power and in this series we will follow them as each sister's gift grows and gets stronger.
This is Elspeth and Malcolm's story and is one fabulous read, I loved it and could not put it down. I can't wait for the next one.
I received a copy and I am voluntarily leaving my own honest op
Lisa C
Jun 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
An incredible read! The way the author weaves history into the story is like no other.
This story started off very sad, as the characters were well known from another of Ms Crosby's series, but gladly I can say there is a HEA for more than just the couple. And the couple, Malcom and Elspeth, oh the couple! They are such caring people, that they worry over others before themselves. If you, in any way, enjoy a good story, fantasy, romance or HEAs - this book is for you.
Denise
Jun 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A great twist on the legend of the Pendragons, this story goes forward in time to tell the tale of Malcolm and Elspeth. Set in the time of the warring factions of Stephen and Matilda, falling in love is the least of their worries! The lingering doubt for Elspeth of “Is it love or is it Majik”, thanks to her sister, Rhiannon, was a nice twist to the romance.
I loved the interspersed mysticism, the love of the sisters, the evilness of the villain and the way the author so expertly tied everyt
Dianne V. Weems
Jan 27, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Witch Or Not?

The Daughters Of Avalon started with 5 sisters held captive for years at the command of their very evil witch mother. She had her own agenda to use them as pawns when they came of age to further her political career. She was determined she would rule England one day. King Henry was their father, but he died without knowing where they were and they suspected she killed him.
The only daughter not his biologically (even though he never knew) was the child of incest of sister and
Glenna
Jan 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If I could give double 5 stars I would. I had received the next book A Winter's Rose and couldn't at first place if I had read Malcome's story so Tanya suggested that I read it again plus Holly and Ivy, a 1.5 book of this series.I am so happy I did. Not only did I enjoy it the first time I really loved rereading it again!! For the whole enrichment of this series you really should start with McKinnons Bride for you then know the more stories of the characters in this one. This is a must read espe ...more
Cat C
Aug 04, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: giveaways
I received a copy of this book in a Goodreads giveaway and it has not affected my review.

I was surprised that this book was the first in a series, as there was so much going on. There's a lot of detail and complicated relationships. It took me a while to get into this book because of that. But it's an epic historical romance with a bit of the paranormal (the sisters all have some white magic, and their evil mother uses black magic), and I think fans of medieval romance will really en
shannon young
Oct 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Slow to get started because author used SO MANY actual historical figures and ALL of their politics. At points it made it difficult to keep straight. Once the story really got rollin' though I could not put this book down. Loved it. Hate that I have to wait for the release of book 2, I want to tear through this series. So much potential for these wonderful characters.
Lesley
Jan 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: i-books
I didn’t realise when I started this story that it was a paranormal and because this is not my usual genre I did find some parts of the novel difficult to comprehend. The history of the time is cleverly interwoven but I feel footnotes would have improved my understanding. Having said all the above I did enjoy the story.
Sharon
Nov 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A fascinating beginning to a new series. A man caught in the middle, a woman who has allegiance to make her his sworn enemy and a love to make their allegiance to each other make this an excellent story.
Cindy
Feb 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
As usual, it looks as though this is going to be another of Tanya's SERIES I won't be able to stop reading. It took me longer than usual to finish BOOK 1, due other items in my life I needed to accomplish, getting done.
Judith Sherrod
Jan 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The King's Favorite

The beginning of a new series......Yes. I love the way this series is brought forth. The witchcraft, both good and evil, intertwined with romance and the settling of five sisters with the lives of their lives.
Kathleen Hoch
Aug 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book.
Lonely girl Is Lonely again
Oct 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
I actually quite liked this, though I was a bit confused at the beginning with who was who as I didn't realize it was a spin off from another series. Generally I don't like regency type books but the witchcraft and not too much of the social protocol stuff it was enjoyable. I will say the sex scenes were a bit dull though but that's fine it's just not that kind of book and "they made love" will suffice
Melissa
Jun 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The King’s Favorite

Elspeth was escaping to avoid a marriage her mother wanted for her. She and her sisters were good witches while the mother was a wicked one. Elspeth met with Malcom that became her champion. He tried to save her sister’s but was to late. Back at his castle with Elspeth all his clan was happy to meet his wife that they had hand fasted. The mother and King Stephen’s army came to over take the castle but King David’s army came to help Elspeth and Malcom.
Lisa Mills
Jul 24, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fabulous!

I had forgotten this was the grown up Malcolm from The Mackinnon's Bride. It was good to make the connection. I haven't read the other series yet so I don't know the connections, but this series promises to be fantastic!
Kathy
Apr 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
A love story about an escaping princess who stumbles into the arms of her soon to be beloved savior. A saga well-told that keeps your interest and leaves you wondering what will happen next in book 2.
Alisa
May 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audiobooks
I loved this story!! The narration was very well done with great accents and male/female voice distinctions. Lots of action and romance that had me not wanting to put the book down. I'm excited to read the rest of the series.
Gwen Hight
Oct 16, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Kong's Favorite(Daughters of Avalon Book1)

This is the first book in this series and it is the first daughter of Avalon Elspeth that loves Malcolm and uses her magic to help him in a battle against her mother
JR 'Thalia' Maxwell
May 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The historical details in this book were a-ma-zing. There were times I got a bit lost because there were so many characters, but I don't even mind because the textures were so rich.

• How the Earl Entices (Capturing the Carlisles, #4)
  • To Love a Duchess (All for Love, #1)
  • Governess Gone Rogue (Dear Lady Truelove, #3)
  • Laird of the Black Isle (The MacGregors: Highland Heirs, #7)
  • Undeniable (Highlands Forever Book 2)
  • A Rose in the Highlands
  • The Wrong Highlander (Highland Brides, #7)
  • His Wicked Secret (League of Rogues #8)
  • Highland Devil (Murray Family, #22)
  • When a Duchess Says I Do (Rogues to Riches #2)
  • Only a Duke Would Dare  (Seductive Scoundrels, #2)
  • The Highlander's Stolen Bride (The Sutherland Legacy #2)
  • Tempted by the Viscount (A Shadows and Silk Novel)
  • The Wicked Gypsy (Blackhaven Brides Book 8)
  • The Warrior's Queen (Border Series, #6)
  • Kidnapped by a Rogue (The Douglas Legacy, #3)
  • Duchess by Design (The Gilded Age Girls Club, #1)
  • How a Scot Surrenders to a Lady (Highlander Vows: Entangled Hearts #5)
Tanya Anne Crosby is the New York Times and USA Today bestselling author of thirty novels. She has been featured in magazines, such as People, Romantic Times and Publisher’s Weekly, and her books have been translated into eight languages. Her first novel was published in 1992 by Avon Books, where Tanya was hailed as “one of Avon’s fastest rising stars.” Her fourth book was chosen to launch the com ...more

Daughters of Avalon (4 books)
  • A Winter's Rose (Daughters of Avalon, #2)
  • Fire Song (Daughters of Avalon, #3)
  • Rhiannon (Daughters of Avalon, #4)