Start by marking “Blanky” as Want to Read:
Blanky

Blanky

Published September 12th 2017

To ask other readers questions about Blanky, please sign up.
Renata I took it to mean either Steve was right and it was the blanket all along, or the grief and hollowness he describes cause him to sink further and disa…moreI took it to mean either Steve was right and it was the blanket all along, or the grief and hollowness he describes cause him to sink further and disappear into another world. Either way, it had a supernatural element to it instead of the homicide angle.(less)

Start your review of Blanky
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin

Lord have mercy! This was good and creepy! It's a very short novella on Kindle Unlimited for those that have it 😊

Stephen and Lexi had a baby girl named Robin who died.

You say you can't imagine what it must be like to lose a child.

Let me make it easy for you.

It's the beginning of the end of your world

Stephen is left in their home alone as Lexi is staying with her parents. I mean I would have sold that house. Just sayin'

The author does a brilliant job of setting up the creepy atmosphere an
Edward Lorn
Sep 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This dude makes this writing shit look easy. I've come to expect a certain level of quality from KPB and every year, without fail, he raises the bar. He is, simply put, one of the best in the business. His novellas are better than most big-named author's novels, and his writing is the closest thing to perfection I've found anywhere. Most of you motherfuckers are playing. This man's writing.

BLANKY is a study of grief and madness marinated in a stew of dread and sorrow. I constantly found myself o
Zoeytron
Sep 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Steve Brannigan’s life has turned into a nightmare full of jagged edges. His dreams are filled with menacing images – a room full of dolls, baby fingers, and a hideous old woman with long yellow fingernails that make scritching sounds as they tap tap tap on the table, waiting.

And now, here is that damn misbegotten baby blanky that is at the heart of all the trouble, turning up yet again. You know, the one with the glowering bunnies (view spoiler)
Carol
Sep 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
A horror story of grief and pain begin with the loss of a child in Kealan Patrick Burke's wicked little novella BLANKY and then.....

Intensify as evil thoughts and dark visions pervade the mind of a father....haunting him into a realm of madness....fueled by something always watching....following....and seeking him out.

CREEPY!

¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪SomeBunny Reads (Phoenix)•*¨*•♫♪
A chilling short story about horror, grief and a child's death.

It's not easy for me to read contemporary horror, because, let's be honest, if you are a horror aficionado like me, you likely have read/saw everything. Every single trope, plot twist, horrific image, cursed child, demon, porcelain doll, animal mask etc. I mean, we see these things so much that it's almost impossible not to feel at least a bit annoyed when you find them in a story. You can't help but thinking "on no, another cursed
Jon Recluse
Sep 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: horror
They say there are seven stages of grief.
They are wrong.
There are eight.
The final stage is....BLANKY.

This review is a bit more personal than is my norm, as this novella hit me harder and deeper than pretty much anything I've read in living memory. Having recently lost a loved one, and still in the grip of grief, reading BLANKY was a cathartic experience, for good horror brings the fear....great horror goes to the emotions that underlie the fear. And no one writing today knows that territory like
Maxine (Booklover Catlady)
Long listed for my Top 17 Books of 2017!

Blanky is dark, creepy and delightfully disturbing. This brilliant novella creeps up on you as you turn the pages before revealing its plot whammy and leaving you gasping for air. I'll never look at a baby blanket the same way again.

Kealan is a talented and clever writer. His writing is smooth, impacting and engaging on every level. You don't get bored reading books from Mr Burke and Blanky is no exception.

This horror novella is unique in plot and I really
Ashley Daviau
Apr 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It’s official. Kealan Patrick Burke is the KING of novellas and short stories. He always manages to pack such a gut wrenching punch to the stomach in the smallest package and it blows my mind every single damn time! Blanky is just packed to the brim with so much emotion and dread and it was just SO haunting! I could literally feel the heartbreak soaking through the pages and reaching deep down inside of me and sinking it’s hooks in. I think this just might be my favourite Burke story I’ve read y ...more
Ron
Jul 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
I buy into this one because the writing is just that good. You may guess where the story goes, but maybe you're the one being led. Tragedy and heartbreak turn to paranormal with an baby's blanket at the center of these parent's nightmare. Thought I had it all figured out...and then the last page.
Bark
Sep 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Blanky is a grief saturated read that will ring true for anyone who has ever lost anyone prematurely. It nails those dark, hopeless feelings that envelop you in the early stages of grief. It’s sad and it’s scary and it packs an incredible punch in so few pages. This kind of writing, the kind that is able to creep into my heart and shatter it, is what keeps me coming back to books when there are always so many other things trying to pull me away from them.

“One rainy night I put her to bed and whe
Kimberly
BLANKY, by Kealan Patrick Burke, is an emotional, literary work of art–nothing less than I’d expect from this veteran storyteller! While the title may seem innocent enough, the cover clearly shouts out an eerie malevolence, giving the reader a sense of unease just as they are about to turn to that first page.

“You say you can’t imagine what it must be like to lose a child. Let me make it easy for you. It’s the beginning of the end of your world.”

Stephen is struggling with the recent loss of h
Char
BLANKY is a powerful novella, full of grief, pain, and horrors previously unknown-those both real and imagined.

You can't let Kealan deceive you with that innocent looking cover. Any of you already familiar with his work wouldn't fall for that anyway. This is a tale that touches on everything it is to be human, both good and bad.

The time we spend with our families, even the irritating or angry times, are all something special. We may only want to focus on the fun, good memories, but that's not
Janie C.
Mar 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
A gripping and expertly written horror novella, Blanky affects the reader on more than one level. The main character is struggling with overwhelming loss, and his grief is palpable. The unnerving dreams that occupy his nocturnal hours are ominous, threatening to emerge into his daily reality. This is a psychological study that asks us to suspend disbelief. Supernatural overtures, grief-driven actions and the looming reality of death combine to weave a not-so-cuddly blanket of suspense and uncert ...more
Sadie Hartmann Mother Horror
What a perfect book to read on the last day of October, Halloween. I had been hearing about Kealan Patrick Burke for quite some time now but this book, Blanky was recommended to me specifically by several people who read a lot of horror and who typically enjoy the same books I do.
So I bought it and of course I read it in one sitting (the day I got it) because it's a short story.

Read the plot summary if you want those kind of details but I suggest you just go into it blind.
My review, my non-spoil
Richard
Oct 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Kealan Patrick Burke has rocked it again with his latest novella and lands an effective balance of sadness and terror in this story about a man who loses his infant daughter to crib death and struggles to move on. But things take a darker turn when his daughter's blanky reappears, the blanky that was buried with her.

Burke takes one of the most horrific things that can happen to a parent and punches it up even more with the idea that there might be something much darker behind it all. And like mo
Jayme
Sep 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
The sign on the rickety old stall read : Baby Close

The blanket was faded blue cotton, with rabbits and balloons on it-a baby’s favorite “blanky”, until she the night she died.

The World is full of evil...could some of this EVIL actually be contained in a blanket?

A disturbing, little HORROR novella, just in time for Halloween.

Trigger Warning: Not graphic, but Baby’s cot death is basis of story.
Ellen Gail
Aug 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
4.5 stars! What a treat this was!

All these moments, even the less pleasant ones, are snapshots we can never replace once they’re lost, and it leaves us wishing for just the slightest glimpse of them if it means we can feel whole again. If it means we can pretend just for an instant that we’re still alive.

Kealan Patrick Burke continues to be one of my go to authors for really great, original, and (in this case) sad horror.

Steve Brannigan is grieving. The loss of his nine month old daughter R
Johann (jobis89)
Nov 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"All these moments, even the less pleasant ones, are snapshots we can never replace once they're lost."

Following the tragic death of his infant daughter, Steve Brannigan is lost in grief, finding solace in alcohol and bad TV. His estranged wife can no longer be in the house where they lost their child, so Steve is left to himself in their family home. That is, until he hears a noise upstairs...

I must admit, I get pretty nervous when it comes to reading the books of an author who is so present on
Kimberly

Stephen is struggling with the recent loss of
Chandra Claypool (wherethereadergrows)
Grief works in mysterious ways. Anyone who has lost someone deals with the sadness and emptiness left in their own way. No way is more right than another. Time actually does not heal all wounds and that gaping hole left by the person who is no longer with us feels endless.

The author takes us on Steve's journey after the death of his 11 month old daughter and that damn Blanky she seemed to adore. Why does this keep showing up? They DID bury her with it, right?

This is one of those novellas that l
Mindi
Nov 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I'm going to suggest that if you haven't read this novella yet that you stop reading this right now and go read it instead. Honestly, the best way to go into this story is knowing nothing about it. If you have the paperback, like me, don't even read the blurb on the back. Just read it. And if you aren't planning on reading this novella; read it anyway. It's 73 pages long, and 100% a single-sitting read.

For those of you who have read blanky, join me in appreciating another fantastic story from Ke
Michael Hicks
Aug 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: horror, bought
When I was first introduced to Kealan Patrick Burke by way of his short story in Bad Apples 2: Six Slices of Halloween Horror, I knew immediately he was an author I would be reading more of. After checking out Sour Candy and, now, Blanky the only thing I don't know is why I haven't read more of his work. It's a personal deficiency seriously in need of correcting.

Burke goes for the emotional jugular with this one, sinking his nails in deep and ripping loose scores of entrails chockfull of feeling
Kenneth McKinley
Oct 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Steve doesn't think his life can get any worse. His nine-month-old baby girl mysteriously dies in her crib. His grief stricken wife, Lexi, can't bear to be around Steve and the house where their daughter died. So, she moves back in with her parents, leaving Steve all alone to face the misery by himself. Then the mysterious baby blanket shows up out of the blue. Where did that come from? Didn't that become lost when they were clearing their daughter's room of all the belongings? What is going on? ...more
Latasha
Oct 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
get ready, cause this one is a tear jerker. I don't think I've read a book this hard to read (emotionally) since I was 13 and reading the vampire book that sparked my love for those undead creatures. The story starts out about a couple that has just lost their baby daughter. and yes, your going to cry right along with them. then it goes all to hell for Steve. the dreams may be my second favorite dream sequence ever (first place goes to Ambrose Bierce, sorry Kealan but I do love him very much). T ...more
Bill
Aug 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
A horrible tragedy. A life in pieces. A man looking for answers.

Unfortunately, he may get them.

Kealan Patrick Burke is one of the best, most consistent writers in horror today. The dude has big time skills. I never pass up an opportunity to devour anything that he has written. He could make a can of tomato soup interesting and terrifying. So it is with BLANKY.

Kealan thrives in this shorter format and with a title like BLANKY you know it's going to be creepy. Even though, I had an inkling wher
Rachel (TheShadesofOrange)
Jul 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror
4.0 Stars
Be warned: this novella is emotionally charged and soul crushing!

I am one of those emotionless readers who NEVER cries when reading, but this one actually made me tear up pretty badly.

Given the premise, I think that parents will connect the most with this story. As a new mother with a three month old, reading this book was particularly unnerving for me. Parents with young infants may be triggered by this story if they are at all anxious about SIDs and other infant mortality risks.

My onl
Michael Sorbello
Jun 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
Synopsis: In the wake of his infant daughter's tragic death, Steve Brannigan is struggling to keep himself together. Estranged from his wife, who refuses to be inside the house where the unthinkable happened, and unable to work, he seeks solace in an endless parade of old sitcoms and a bottle of bourbon. Until one night he hears a sound from his daughter's old room, a room now stripped bare of anything that identified it as hers...except for her security blanket, affectionately known as Blanky.

R
Ruby (aru.by)
Dec 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was my first introduction to Kealan Patrick Burke and I'm hooked!

A grief stricken father is dealing with the sudden death of his baby daughter. Estranged from his wife, Stephen struggles to get his life back together. Until one night, his daughter's blanket, Blanky, appears in her old room. An old and frayed patchwork, Blanky was loved dearly by Stephen's daughter, loved so much that she was buried with it.

In 74 pages Burke manages to create such an engaging and interesting story that I'll
Lee  drunkonbookz
Sep 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
I'm so glad to have reread this book. There were so many details I had forgotten it was almost like reading a book for the first time. KPB books always manage to have a sneaky surprise in them that you never see coming, even reading the second time I couldn't pinpoint the evil twist in Blanky.

Here is a creepy tale told by Stephen Brannigan, a Father that has recently lost his child.
The first few chapters left me emotionally exhausted! This poor man, and he is suffering so much. Normally stories
Jessica
May 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: partner-read
After reading KIN by Kealan Patrick Burke I couldn't wait to pick up more of his work. I started with his novella, BLANKY. I'm amazed that he could turn such an ordinary and unsuspecting item into some terrifying. With the novel being just under 80 pages, I don't want to give away too much information on it. We follow a husband and father that has endured every parents' worst nightmare - losing their infant child in the middle of the night. Events begin to spiral as the missing baby blanky reapp ...more
Books in the Freezer: Blanky Thoughts 14 78 Aug 07, 2019 02:02PM
Gore and More: October Group Read with Guest Author, Kealan Patrick Burke 44 81 Nov 06, 2017 04:04PM

• Dear Laura
  • Of Foster Homes and Flies
  • True Crime
  • Out Behind the Barn
  • The Forgotten Island
  • Wallflower: (A Coming of Age Tale About Addiction)
  • The Same Deep Water as You
  • Bones
  • The Roo
  • Brother
  • Crossroads
  • Night of the Mannequins
  • Seed
  • The Possession of Natalie Glasgow
Born and raised in a small harbor town in the south of Ireland, Kealan Patrick Burke knew from a very early age that he was going to be a horror writer. The combination of an ancient locale, a horror-loving mother, and a family full of storytellers, made it inevitable that he would end up telling stories for a living. Since those formative years, he has written five novels, over a hundred short st ...more

News & Interviews

“All these moments, even the less pleasant ones, are snapshots we can never replace once they’re lost, and it leaves us wishing for just the slightest glimpse of them” 2 likes
“Blanky. Such an innocuous name for something that had now cemented itself as the locus of my grief and horror and rage.” 2 likes