Start by marking “Beton Rouge (Chas Riley, #7)” as Want to Read:
Beton Rouge (Chas Riley, #7)

Beton Rouge

(Chas Riley #7)

On a warm September morning, an unconscious man is found in a cage at the entrance to the offices of one of Germany's biggest magazines. He's soon identified as a manager of the company, and he's been tortured. Three days later, another manager appears in a similar way.

Chastity Riley and her new colleague Ivo Stepanovic are tasked with uncovering the truth behind the
Published August 7th 2017 by Suhrkamp

To ask other readers questions about Beton Rouge, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Beton Rouge

Start your review of Beton Rouge (Chas Riley, #7)
Susan Hampson
Feb 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: author-reads
This is the second book in this series but the first that I have read. I really took to Public Prosecutor Chastity Riley who is what I would describe as a little coarse, dry humoured and very entertaining. She is like one of the lads, smokes, drinks and knows a few apt phrases for any situation that she finds herself in. As the story opens she comes across the scene of a woman who has been knocked from her cycle and has to go and take a look, not a pleasant sight.
The case she is asked to go to
Paul
Mar 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime-thrillers
Beton Rouge – A welcome and unconventional crime fiction story.

Beton Rouge is the follow up book, by the German author Simone Buchholz, to her debut Blue Night. This book has been translated, rather excellently, by Rachel Ward, and nothing has been lost in translation. There is a great energy in Buchholz writing and that is reflected in the main character Chastity Riley.

While this may be classed as a novella it certainly punches above its weight, with short snappy sentences and chapters, there
Rachel Bridgeman
Feb 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: february-2019
Orenda Bookshave an established and critically acclaimed selection of translated works, and reading 'Beton Rouge', it is easy to understand why. It's sharp, biting novel that at 186 pages packs in lots of story and characters without ever feeling overloaded.

Chastity Riley is on of those characters that gets under your skin, like the Hamburg fog, you don't realise she is in there until you are bone deep into the story. Her relationship with her new partner is precariously balanced, her friends
Tez
Aug 31, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Love these short, snappy krimi books by Simone Buchholz. Now we play the waiting game until her next novel is translated into English...
Tracy Fenton
Jan 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Having read Simone’s first book Blue Knight last year I was delighted to be invited on to the blog tour for the next book in this fascinating series, Beton Rouge.

Once again, it’s a quick read with short chapters and Chastity Riley is back, drinking too much coffee and alcohol, smoking too many cigarettes and generally being the brilliantly sharp, sarcastic and super dry character she was in the first book.

This time Chastity deals with a hit and run, two naked men tortured and left in a cage
Beverley
Feb 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019

When I read Blue Night by German writer Simone Buchholz last year I was swept away by how utterly brilliant it was and it ended up as one of my Top Five Reads of 2018. I have been wanting to get my grubby little mitts on Beton Rouge for a while but then realised that once I’d read it, that was it, it was over. So I tried to read it slooooowwwwwllllyyy, I really did, honest. Except I failed spectacularly and gobbled it up. Whoops.

It’s not my fault, I promise.
Stephanie
Feb 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed my first meeting with Chastity Riley last year in the novel Blue Night so was looking forward to catching up with her again. I was happy to see that she hadn’t changed a bit. She is as cynical as ever.

There are two cases, the first a cyclist killed by a hit and run is a bit gory despite its brevity. Chastity is only there because she was walking by whilst the investigation was being carried out. The second concerned businessmen who had been stripped, tortured and locked in a cage
Kelly Van Damme
Dec 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book, I ached to continue reading when pesky things like work got in the way and I highly recommend it!

For the full review please visit my blog at https://frombelgium.wixsite.com/withb...
Karen Cole
Feb 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Beton Rouge sees the welcome return of Chastity Riley following her introduction to English-speaking readers in Blue Night last year. This time the public prosecutor is paired with a new colleague, Ivo Stepanovic from the Serious Crimes Office as they investigate why first the head of HR and then the publishing director of a leading magazine company are left in cages outside the magazine's offices, naked and with extensive injuries indicating they've been brutally tortured.
Chastity is rapidly
Julie
Feb 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
A memorable series of crimes, a contrary investigator, a view of downtown Hamburg, this atmospheric mystery novel is an interesting slice of life from a very different perspective. Chastity Riley is an anti – hero of surprising depth and feeling, even if along very different lines from many fictional crime investigators. This is life on the other side, not merely observed but lived, tough and exacting, challenging on every level. While some of the characters are wealthy and powerful, here are ...more
Jessica
Feb 20, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An unconscious man has been found outside the offices of one of Germany’s biggest newspapers. He is locked inside of a cage, naked, and on display for all of those who walk by to see. Chas Riley and her new colleague, Ivo Stepanovic, are placed on the case and immediately discover this mystery man is one of the managers of the newspaper company he is caged outside. Three days later, the detectives receive a call informing them another man has appeared under similar circumstances. When it is ...more
Susan Corcoran
Mar 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I would like to thank the author, publisher and blog tour organiser for the ARC of this book in return for an honest review.

Chastity Riley is back and what an absolute joy it is!

If I was to list why this book is for me, such a phenomenal read, at the top of that list would be Chastity and all of the other bold and unique characters that fill the pages of Beton Rouge. She commands the reader’s attention throughout, she young, she is acerbic, drinks and smokes too much, with a fractured personal
Cheryl M-M
Feb 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I think what I enjoy most about the particular style Buchholz brings to the table, is the ‘I don’t care what is going on around me – my grasp on reality and life in general is more important’ attitude of the main character. This is what gives the Chastity Riley series a distinctive noir touch, and of course the more brusque character interaction and dialogue.

She always seems, and interestingly enough she says it herself, completely distanced from everything and everyone, including the cases she
Shelley
Mar 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is the second novel featuring Chastity Riley and although I don't think it is vital to have read the first, it could possibly give you a little insight into her back story. The case she is called in to help on is a strange one. A man is discovered in a cage outside his place of work. He's been tortured but he's alive. Immediately you know this isn't your regular crime story. They're not looking for a murderer but it suggests a different kind of criminal who is looking to terrify and ...more
Cassandra MADEUP BookBlog
WOW! Just wow! I adored this book, and despite it being the second in the series I connected easily with the main character Chastity Riley very early on and I totally ADORE her! The way this is written, with the reader seeing her inner monologue in situations as well as what she actually says is done in such a witty tone it was wonderful. I laughed so many times at things she both did and didn’t say, at times what she says is subtly snide but of course the reader is the only one who sees the ...more
Gordon Mcghie
Apr 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Beton Rouge is the second novel to feature Chastity Riley. As I have not yet read the first book in the series (Blue Night) I can categorically confirm that Beton Rouge is a story you can read and enjoy without knowing what occurred in Blue Night. I can also confirm that I shall be looking to pick up Blue Night very soon as I thoroughly enjoyed Beton Rouge.

Told in a sequence of short, punchy chapters we join Chastity Riley – prosecutor – in an investigation into a humiliating and violent attack.
Jen
I'll be honest now. Blue Night, the first book in this series, took me quite by surprise when I read it last year. Why? Because it was so unique, so detailed and so ingenious in the way it was structured that it wasn't at all what I was expecting. It was, quite simply, stunning. Quite probably the first German book in translation that I'm aware of having read, I really did love the quirky nature of how the author pulled the story together.

With Beton Rouge, that style of story telling has changed
The Literary Shed
Feb 22, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There’s something very compelling about Simone Buchholz’s writing – something which draws us into Beton Rouge and keeps us in the moment, from the very first word to the last. We’re immersed immediately in her dark yet stylish world, and that world pays more than a nod to classic noir.

Opening with a short but graphic description of public prosecutor Chastity Riley’s discovery of a hit-and-run victim in Hamburg, an event which has particular resonance for her, the action moves onto the case that
Clair
Jan 30, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed my first read from Simone Buchholz, Blue Night, so I was looking forward to another Chastity Riley adventure.

As with Blue Night, Beton Rouge is a quick, fast paced read with its snappy sentences and short chapters which urge the reader to keep reading ‘just one more chapter’ and before you know it you’re half way through the book!

Beton Rouge is centred around the investigation into the torture and imprisonment of 2 men in cages in a high profile public place – Chastity and the
Bucks, Books & Beyond
Chastity is one of those deeply flawed characters that I almost felt sorry for. She seems to struggle to form close relationships with those around her but with the introduction of Ivo, who also seems deeply flawed, maybe she has met her perfect companion? Chastity has a very dry sarcastic sense of humour and I loved this about her. With the short snappy sentences I felt as if I was reading Chastity’s thoughts as and when they flew into her head.

This a short read at only 192 pages and I flew
Maria
Feb 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Chastity Riley is a Public Prosecutor and a quite interesting character, she is quite good on her job when she is not with a hangover of course. She has a quite interesting social life and friends… you’ll see.
Let’s talk about the case, because can you imagine finding a man inside a cage? Your worst nightmare I am sure, but the reality of two men, that work at the same place and had some past together… Chastity will have to discover what is threatening them; their past or their work… I will
Don Jimmy Reviews
Jan 31, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Keeping with the theme of cages, after reading this I felt like I had been in a cage fight with Brock Lesnar!

This book delivers punch after punch, and does so rapidly before I knew it, it was all over, leaving me dazed and with little ability to do much more than sit there. It was brilliant.

This is a thriller unlike any I have read before. It is quite a quick read, clocking in at just under 190 pages (in my print edition) but what is contained in there is a wonderfully written protagonist whose
Patricia
Dec 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I discovered the German author Simone Buchholz through her book Blue Night. And I discovered the most wonderful three dimensional complex characters in Chasity, Rocco, Carla, Calabretta, and Klatsche. Usually you only get one or two good characters. With Simone you get a treasure trove.

The main story itself is interesting and keeps the book moving as it unfolds, but its the characters I turn the pages for.

I am in dire need of her next book.
Emma
Jan 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I thoroughly enjoyed ‘Blue Night’, the first Chastity Riley book ( Review Here ) so when I was offered the chance to review the next instalment, ‘Beton Rouge’ I couldn’t say yes fast enough! There is always a worry that the second book won’t match up to the first, but I actually enjoyed ‘Beton Rouge’ more than ‘Blue Night’. I read it in big greedy chunks, completely unable to put it down. These books are fantastic and I highly recommend them.

Chastity Riley is one of my favourite female
Alena
Jun 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Reliably good. I was a bit lost in the beginning, but turns out that everyone in the book was, too, so that worked well.

Creepy case, as always just the right dose of melancholy.

I enjoy her language so much. Little things that touch me deeply. So good.
Kathy
Feb 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Interesting plot and characters. Beautiful prose.
Meggy
I spent my (extended) lunch break with Riley... Review on the way!
peter cherry
Jan 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Top book

First time I've read a Simone buchholz wow why did I wait so long.Thoroughly enjoyable book.Good plot,humour,who said the Germans have no humour.Highly recommend.
David Harris
Dec 24, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm very grateful to the publisher for an advance (free) copy of the book, and for an invitation to join its blogtour.

Chastity Riley, unconventional public prosecutor and habitué of Hamburg's seamier nightlife, returns in a sequel to last year's Blue Night. Still chain-smoking, still drinking far too much, still brooding on her life and loves, Riley is a protagonist who makes an impact, much as if she'd reached out of the book with a steel bar and whacked the reader across the head. Blue Night
Sandra
Mar 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One major criticism of this - it's over far too soon.

And one big relief, it is just as absorbing, alive and real, as vividly written/translated as 'Blue Night'. The crime plays a big part, but also does Chastity's relationships with colleagues, friends, drink and cigarettes.

Re-read in anticipation of the Orenda road-show.

• Killerinstinkt
  • Call Me Star Girl
  • Kureren
  • Worst Case Scenario
  • Changeling (Six Stories, #3)
  • Breakers
  • The Closer I Get
  • The Ringmaster
  • Nothing Important Happened Today
  • Violet
  • Red Snow (Tuva Moodyson Mystery, #2)
  • Deep Dirty Truth (Lori Anderson, #3)
  • The Home
  • En moderne familie
  • Blood Song (Emily Roy & Alexis Castells #3)
  • Welcome to the Heady Heights
  • Búrið
  • Attend
Simone Buchholz is a German author, best known for her crime fiction.

Chas Riley (9 books)
  • Revolverherz (Chas Riley, #1)
  • Knastpralinen (Chas Riley, #2)
  • Schwedenbitter (Chas Riley, #3)
  • Eisnattern (Chas Riley, #4)
  • Bullenpeitsche (Chas Riley, #5)
  • Blue Night (Chas Riley, #6)
  • Mexikoring (Chas Riley, #8)
  • Hotel Cartagena (Chas Riley, #9)