Start by marking “Her Hometown Girl (Belladonna Ink, #3)” as Want to Read:
Her Hometown Girl (Belladonna Ink, #3)

Her Hometown Girl

(Belladonna Ink #3)

I had doubts before the Big Day—doesn’t everyone?—but I didn’t expect to find my fiancée banging the caterer’s assistant right before the ceremony. Especially because he’s a guy. And we’re lesbians. The proper sort of Southern Californian lesbians who invest in hedge funds and wear bedazzled wedding dresses and wouldn’t be caught dead in a Subaru.

But then I became a runawa
Published September 4th 2017 by Riptide Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Her Hometown Girl, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Her Hometown Girl

Start your review of Her Hometown Girl (Belladonna Ink, #3)
Lexxi Kitty
I received an ARC of this book from NetGalley and Riptide Publishing in exchange for an honest review.

First off, a little snippet on why my rating isn't higher than it is: It is quite possible that if one specific aspect had not been included in the book, I would have likely liked the book about . . . oh, maybe 75% more than I did. It is one of those things that just shuts me down, drives me away, and makes me want to not read what I'm reading. If this book had been by anyone else, and if I hadn
Pin
Her Hometown Girl is a novel of about 65,000 words, a third standalone piece in the Belladonna Ink universe (standalone stories linked by the female-centric tattoo parlor Belladonna Ink), written in first person present tense, from the point of view of both protagonists -- Cai, a thirty-nine years old tattoo artist, and Tansy, a twenty-five years old school teacher.
The writing is again exceptionally good with a strong plot and characterization. The main characters are very likable, but at the sa
Luce
3.5 Stars for Lorelie Brown’s Her Hometown Girl.

This is the third book in Brown’s series, Belladonna Ink, but you can easily read them in any order, because they are only connected by the tattoo parlor. This book is told in the first person from the point of view of the two main characters by chapter. I admit in the middle of a conversation, I sometimes had to check first page of the chapter to remember who’s talking. With no “so and so said”… I would forget which MC’s chapter I was reading. The
Gaby LezReviewBooks
Aug 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is book number 3 in the series Belladonna Ink. It's surprising how all the books in the series are so different from each other. Ms. Brown manages to create romances with flawed, conflicted characters with unusual but realistic plots. This is the story of Tansy, a 26 year-old bride who cancels her wedding at the very last minute when she walks into her fiancée cheating. That same day she meets Cai, a 39 year-old tattoo artist, and eventually gets involved with her. Tansy realises that she w ...more
Corrie
I stayed up waaaay past my bedtime finishing this book and it's something I don't do often, but when it comes to Lorelie Brown I gladly make an exception.

Her Hometown Girl is the third standalone book in The Belladonna Ink Series and will also find a way to my favorites shelf. Ms. Brown grabbed my aching heart, ripped it out of my chest and stomped all over it and I willingly let her. Can I have some more please? Gah!

Tansy Graves, a 25-year-old teacher from Idaho meets Cai, a 39-year-old tattoo
Tara
Her Hometown Girl is told in the first person, shifting between Cai and Tansy’s perspectives. This lets us quickly realize exactly how fucked up Tansy’s relationship with Jody was and its lasting effects on her because we see how intentionally gentle and careful Cai is with Tansy, and how Tansy responds very differently than someone would if they weren’t carrying the same trauma. Lorelie Brown made a brave choice to tackle abuse in same sex relationships, because it’s especially rare in romance ...more
Ami
Aug 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc-books, ff-romance
3.75 stars rounded up

Her Hometown Girl is the third book in Lorelie Brown's Belladona Ink series. Each book is stand-alone and can be read in no following order. This is the first novel length, though, also features dual narratives for the first time.

Tansy and Cai couldn't be more different. Twenty-five year old Tansy is a girl from Idaho; she is sweet-natured and tends to be more shy. Thirty-nine year old Cai is a tattoo artist, definitely bolder than Tansy (even if it plays around the but
Les Rêveur
Sep 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I can’t believe this book is finished! I stood by the fact that book one in the Belladonna Ink series was my favourite but book 3 just demolished that ideal.

Book 3 opens on Cai from the Belladonna Ink tattoo shop where Tansy is her client. Tansy tells Cai about running out on her wedding after walking in on her fiancé having sex with a man. As the story unfolds we find out that all is not what it seems for Tansy and she is tormented by her previous relationship.

I love the dynamic between Cai and
Alicia
Aug 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
The best scene in this book for me was when the bird crapped in Cai's hair. I was laughing because it brought back memories when it happen to a Aunt of mines.

NetGalley for honest review
Alexis
A good read but it could have been way better.

Please note that this book has the following triggers: physical and psychological abuse and rape.

First off let me start by saying that I eventually did enjoy this book but the ride towards the end was not always fun. The main characters had good enough chemistry and the story was well paced which unfortunately hasn't always been the case with some of the books I've been reading recently.

There were several things however that just totally ruined the
Andrea
Aug 31, 2017 rated it liked it
I received an ARC from Netgalley and the Publisher for a honest review

This story was not for me and kind of bored me. I also did not like how it almost belittled tamsy throughout the story. Cai repeatedly calls her my little girl and good girl after Tamsy calls her daddy in a sex scene - that is just not for me and I caught myself to just skip a lot of those scenes.
charlotte, (½ of readsrainbow)
the whole daddy kink/cai calling tansy "little one"/fourteen year age gap was just NOT for me

Rep: lesbian mcs (although one calls herself bi then later lesbian, perhaps typo?)

CWs: rape, past emotionally abusive relationship
Dee
This story is told in first person, present tense, and from the point of view of both protagonists. This allows readers to become intimately acquainted with both leads, Cai and Tansy. While this worked for the most part, I had a difficult time reconciling the character’s actions with their thoughts.

For example, Cai goes all Daddy Dom on Tansy, calling her little one and taking the lead but then she states, “I haven’t gone so far as BDSM.” Well it’s my understanding power-exchange, Dominance and
Amanda
Dec 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: lesbian-fiction
I am a fan of Brown’s Belladonna Ink series. This is the third in the series, but each book reads as a standalone. I have to say I enjoyed book one the most, but this one is still well worth reading. Brown does a fantastic job of allowing readers to connect with her characters. I also enjoy her characters imperfections. They seem realistic, and have realistic thoughts. Brown does dialogue well, and the conversations between characters read like natural conversations. This is an area of struggle ...more
Alex
Feb 23, 2019 added it
Ankita Singh
Oct 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley-books
Thanks to NetGalley for giving me the chance to read this awesome book!
Her Hometown Girl was a sweet, endearing and beautiful story!

The characters, Tansy and Cai are both fighting their own demons when they meet. The story follows them as they try to escape their demons and work to keep their relationship intact.

It shows Tansy growing stronger as she overcomes her past, and embraces a new life.

At the same time, it shows Cai lowering the walls she'd built around herself and letting Tansy in.

It's
Kexx
The sort of book I needed - short, a good story, tears, a couple of laughs, redemption and true love winning through. Cheer for the goodies, boo the baddies. Yea, loved it.
XR
Jun 09, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019
Cai's so incredibly patient and loving. Tansy was a surprise and in a good way. Both experiencing such harsh times in their life and coming through to the other side for the better. I liked it. ...more
A.W.
Oct 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Tansy catches her fiancée cheating her on her wedding day and flees to Cai's tattoo shop.  Tansy looking for a rebound and Cai who is not looking to be someone's happy ever after, start a relationship of sorts.

Although this was my least favourite of the Belladonna Ink series, Her Hometown Girl was still a pretty good read.  I normally don't mind scenes involving BDSM, but I just wasn't really into the sexual dynamics between Tansy and Cai.

Despite that, I did enjoy the pacing of the story and t
Danni Mladenovic
Oct 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
The copy provided by NetGalley in exchange for an honest review

I have to say I’m very pleasantly surprised by Lorelie Brown. This is the third book I read (all of them are Belladonna Ink series) and I quite liked them all. There is one thing she does so good: she presents inner monologues so vividly, yet formulating thoughts, fears, hopes in a very laconic sentences and phrases. It picked my interest in the first book, and it keeps going through all of them!
Although I’m not very fond of partic
Crystal Marie
Oct 02, 2017 rated it liked it
This was a good read for me. I didn't love it, but I didn't hate it. It's a straight up "I liked this book" read.

Tansy was a really good character, the book starts out with her having left before her wedding and you find out how horrible her ex is/was. Following along as she paved her way into moving forward to a future that she wanted and that was hers. And I really liked how Brown didn't just make her completely "Overcome" everything that had happened to her. Tansy full on had to work at over
Alealea
Jun 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: f-f, romance
Ouch ouch
This was hard to get into the story at first. Far more difficult than Far from Home, probably because :
1) I read it instead of listening to it (no audio version available yet, snif)
2) both main have serious issues, one of them having been abused for 5 years
3) the trope of self denial, already present in the previous book, was back at chapter 2 and I was kinda of afraid of a repeat

Then, there is also
1) the chemistry between the two main, that is so hot, it felt like burning.
2) some rea
The_Book_Queen
TW: Rape [Somewhat on page, also talked about in terms of what happened in the past.]

This was an adorable read. Or rather, these two were adorable together. Because the story itself is a bit heavy at times, as Tansy deals with getting out of an abusive relationship -- which she never saw as such until it was over. Related to this: I do wish Tansy had talked to someone, not just Cai, about that. Romancelandia, can we please start embracing therapy as part of a character's story? Love doesn't ma
Tabs
Apr 07, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: lgbt-romance, library
This f/f age gap romance features an almost-bride who cancels her wedding, gets a tattoo, and ends up in an unexpected relationship with her tattoo artist. There is a lot of heavy stuff at play here (see CWs below). Tansy is coming out of an abusive relationship and is working on rebuilding her life and figuring out who she is when she can really be herself and getting involved with someone new complicates that already messy journey.

CW: domestic violence, sexual assault (on page and in the past
Liz
Mar 10, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, lgbt
I’m not sure if this series is complete, but this is my favorite entry in it thus far.

It gave me things I’ve been looking for in the other books (more of the belladonna ink, which is literally the title of the series and has been sparse at best in the others, and alternating POVs for our heroines) while keeping the best parts of those other entries.

I loved these two together, they made sense and more than that, they actually helped each other grow.

The backstories content was a bit heavier than
Best Lesfic Reviews
Jan 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
From the back cover synopsis:

But then I became a runaway bride, headed straight for Belladonna Ink to get the kind of tattoo I always wanted and my ex
Gail
Aug 31, 2017 rated it it was ok
I rec'd an ARC from NetGalley/Riptide Publishing in exchange for an honest review.
A quick read, this romance with BDSM and angst just couldn't get me hooked into the plot. The relationship between Cai and Tansy didn't gel for me and sex (there was lots of it) scenes aside, I didn't find the plot/style of writing completely enjoyable. I actually struggled to finish reading but felt I owed Ms. Brown the courtesy of doing so before giving my review. 2.5 stars
Peritract
Sep 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance
Tansy is supposed to be getting married. Instead, after discovering her ex-fiancée having sex with one of the wedding caterers, she’s getting a tattoo. The tattoo she’s always wanted and her controlling partner has always stopped her getting.

Cai doesn’t do commitment. She’s happy on her own, independent and invulnerable. But when an adorable, impertinent, and deeply damaged Tansy appears in the tattoo parlour where she works, she’s tempted to reconsider.

Her Hometown Girl is a love story that’s a
Andrea
Nov 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was a really enjoyable read. It was in first person, alternating between the two main characters, which took some getting used to, but once I got into it that stopped bothering me. There were points though where the dialogue got a bit confusing, and I had to stop and go back to remember who was talking; it was never undecipherable, but it was a little irritating at times.

The story itself I found delightful. Cai and Tansy's relationship is so sweet, and they are both just wonderful character
Coral
May 28, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: romance
Book 2 is kind of the break from Big Trauma in this series, I guess.

I still like this one—it has the best date activity, hands down, of the entire series (so far?), and both of the main characters are really likable—but like the first book, parts of it make for really unpleasant reading. The book starts with one of the characters leaving an abusive relationship and (this is both a spoiler and something that needs a content warning) (view spoiler)

• Fire & Ice
  • Perfect Rhythm
  • Back to September
  • The Do-Over
  • Just for Show
  • Kiss the Girl (Soho Loft, #1)
  • Love All
  • Battle Scars
  • Aurora
  • Love Like This (Seven Shores, #4)
  • Just Business
  • The Goodmans
  • Things Hoped For: A Vow Series Spin-Off (The Vow Series #4)
  • Edge of Glory
  • The Inheritance
  • Hopeless Romantic
  • 30 Dates in 30 Days
  • The Times I Knew I Was Gay
After a semi-nomadic childhood throughout California, Lorelie Brown spent high school in Orange County before joining the US Army. After traveling the world from South Korea to Italy, she’s settled north of Chicago. Because going from California warmth to northern snow seemed like the proper order of events...

Lorelie has three active sons and a tiny shih-tzu who thinks he’s son number three—not fo

Belladonna Ink (3 books)
  • Far from Home (Belladonna Ink, #1)
  • Take Me Home (Belladonna Ink, #2)

News & Interviews

Looking for a fictional meet-cute in the new year? We've got some steamy novels for you to snuggle up with, including Casey McQuiston's...