Start by marking “Close to the Edge (Unbroken Heroes, #5)” as Want to Read:
Close to the Edge (Unbroken Heroes, #5)

Close to the Edge

(Unbroken Heroes #5)

They are part of an elite unit. On task. Off grid. These are the men of the Shadow Ops task force. Be seduced and thrilled by Close to the Edge, the next Unbroken Heroes novel by Dawn Ryder.

HOW FAR WILL ONE MAN GO

Jenna Henson always plays it safe. It’s what has gotten her through all these years . So she never expected to end up in arm-to-arm combat with a gorgeous, musc
Published February 27th 2018 by St. Martin's Paperbacks

To ask other readers questions about Close to the Edge, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Close to the Edge

Mindy Lou's Book Review
I did not finish this book at 35%. This has several issues for me as a reader. This book seemed to skip over the beginning. I don’t know where Jenna came from and how she ended up as Dare’s witness. I did only read the previous two books in the series but there is no mention of Jenna in those. Admittedly I can usually jump into the middle of a series and adjust, but add in the fact that I can’t stand Dares treatment of Jenna means I won’t like this book if I continue. I do not like a hero treati ...more
Feb 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
ARC received for review

More action packed Shadow Ops intrigue. Along with Dare taking a fall for a beautiful Jenna. But of course Dare does act like a dick and throw her away. But with a little help from the boss, all will be well in the world of love. Why can't these bad guys all just die, already. I'm so sick of some of them. Loved seeing more of Thais. I really hope the next book is hers.

What the heck is going to happen with Greer's sister, Sorcha? And what the heck is an Unperson?
♥ WishfulMiss ♥
Getting caught in the middle of ruthless power hungry men and the tough as nails group that’s trying to bring them down, Jenna finds herself thrust into a world of secret identities, death defying missions and harrowing getaways.

She was just a girl in the wrong place at the wrong time. Being an eye witness to a dangerous killer, Jenna is whisked away in protective custody but being kept in the dark makes it hard to trust anyone. Even the good guys. Developing a crazy crush on her rescuer is so
Anita
Jan 30, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc, romantic-supense

I have no idea why I requested a book that is #5 in an ongoing series. I usually don't drop into a series like this. But, I have to confess, this isn't the first time. Some have turned out great: Tracers Series by Laura Griffin and Midnight Man Series by Lisa Marie Rice are two where that worked out really, really well. Will this one? Let's read the book and see.

Well, "Close to
Beth
The ARC that was sent starts on chapter 2 with the 1st chapter appearing at the end of the ARC copy. I believe that started the read off with some confusion why the main characters were at odds right from the start.

Close to the Edge is a complicated, multifaceted plot and plot directions. The base story was strong but there was so much going on that some of the strength it held was lost.

Overall, I found CLOSE TO THE EDGE fast paced, action intense and providing the required white knuckle readin
Sissy's Romance Book Review
Close to the Edge by Dawn Ryder is the Fifth book in the "Unbroken Heroes" series. This is the story of Dare and Jenna. I have read the previous books so that helped me with the enjoyment of this one. This does have a fantasy type story line I thought but also a good drama filled romance. Ms. Ryder write some exciting stories with some hot romances and this one didn't not disappoint. Loved reading their story.
Caitlyn Lynch
Mar 05, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Dare Servant is a member of the Shadow Ops task force. Fiercely dedicated, he has no intention of letting emotion cloud his judgement. When innocent Jenna Henson stumbles into the middle of his op, though, all his plans go up in smoke.

I wanted to like this book, I really did. Romantic suspense is probably my favourite of all the many genres I read, and a tall, dark and handsome Special Forces agent is definitely my favourite kind of hero. The problem is that Dare Servant is a complete and total
♆ BookAddict  ✒ La Crimson Femme
I have read a couple of books in this series. This one started out confusing for me because for some reason the story started near the end rather than in the beginning. I think my copy was perhaps a bit messed up. Nevertheless, I was able to get the story from the beginning which makes more sense.

Jenna is a friend who tries to help a friend out. As a person who can sub in for catering, she shows up a little too early to a job only to catch people wiring her client's house. This is how she stumbl
Elaine
Rating: 3.5/5

This is a treat for anyone who enjoys romantic suspense involving Shadow Ops and involving betrayal, double crossing, danger, intrigue and, of course, a hot romance. It is the fifth book in the series and it does work as a stand alone but I suspect would be enjoyed even more if other books in the series had been read first as there is an ongoing investigation through the stories.

The hero for this story is Agent Dare Servant and he is determined to keep Jenna Henson safe after she in
Romance Rehab
Feb 13, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I received a copy from NetGalley free of charge.

I'm afraid I couldn't finish this one. It DEFINITELY isn't a stand alone. Right from chapter one, as a reader, you're dropped into a story and it seems that you're expected to understand what's going on and who these characters are. Well, I don't, because I didn't read the other books in the series, and no one warned me that I needed to. So I'm just not going to keep reading. Life's too short.
Becky
Jan 30, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Gifted read by Netgalley for an honest review.
Romantic suspense story. From the beginning of this book it was confusing, I even went back to the beginning to make sure I hadn't missed some chapters or an introduction to this story. I looked at the others books in this series to see if they were continued storylines because that's how confusing this book is. It just jumps right into the story like it's a continuation of something. Like your supposed to understand why she has a chip implanted in h
Donna Repsher
Apr 22, 2018 rated it did not like it
While I usually end my book reviews by stating that I voluntarily read an advance reader copy of this book, in the case of Close to the Edge, I'll have to start with that piece of information, for a number of reasons, which is why, although I try to avoid giving them, this book gets a 1-star rating.

To begin with, when I requested an advance reader copy of this book, it was because I'd not read anything by this popular author before and wanted to give her books a try. The Netgalley blurb did not
Cathy Geha
Close to the Edge by Dawn Ryder
Unbroken Heroes #5

Another unbroken Hero meets the woman that will change his life when Dare Servant, setting up hidden surveillance, runs into Jenna on her way to help her friends out. After she has been debriefed and warned she is released only to find herself picked her up again by Dare. She ends up in hot water a few times, is saved a few times, she has to run for her life and is given a place to hide…for a bit… Her life is very very busy as the dark ops team tr
Eva Millien
Feb 24, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The newest Unbroken Hero novel is a rollercoaster ride of danger and emotional turbulence that holds readers in its grip from start to finish.

The hero and heroine of this book draw readers in and refuse to let go as they work through a relationship that highly impacted by some emotional turbulence that has readers emphasizing with the characters and determined to find out if they can ever work things out enough to discover that they just might have what it takes to have a happily ever after type
Kathy Martin
Jan 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
CLOSE TO THE EDGE is the fifth in the Unbroken Hearts series but stood alone quite well for me even though I haven't read any of the others in the series. Jenna Henson finds herself involved with very secret agents from a covert government organization when she goes to Kirkland Grog's house as a substitute chef for her best friend who is a caterer. She walks right in on a team of agents who are bugging the house to try to get evidence that Kirkland is a criminal who specializes in human traffick ...more
JoAn
Feb 03, 2018 rated it liked it
Close to the Edge by Dawn Ryder was an action packed romantic suspense that intrigued me but also left me confused. Since I had not read any of the previous books in this series, I felt like I was missing something since I couldn't relate to many of the secondary characters in this story. Nor did I understand why Jenna had been chipped and was in protective custody.

Dare and Jenna were both strong characters and Jenna grew by leaps and bounds as this story progressed. Dare set my teeth on edge at
Denise
Feb 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc, net-gallery
Close to the Edge is a fast-paced, complicated action intense military romantic suspense. Special Op Dare Servant is an alpha male who doesn't believe in happily ever after but this does not deter spunky, petite combustion specialist Jenna Henson from going toe to toe with him.

It's been a while since I have read a book with such a strong female lead. Jenna Henson is not intimidated by person or circumstance. Don't worry there are plenty of hot steamy scenes between Dare and Jenna. You know imme
Minx
I love a series with an overarching plot and in this book, Close to the Edge, it absolutely delivers on that! Things are really heating up for Kirkland Grog and Carl Davis as the Shadow Ops teams are closing in on them. In this story, Special Agent Dare Servant is leading the team that is in charge of getting the solid evidence needed in order to take down Kirkland’s sex trafficking ring, among other things. Kirkland is the one who is responsible for funneling the money that is paving the way fo ...more
Margaux
Feb 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
I am critical when it comes to an author’s skill in writing characters’ movements in an action romance story. My definition of a good action book is when I can clearly see in my mind’s eye how a scene is playing. This book has not only done that, it has also successfully drawn a clear picture of the places where the characters are. I can imagine the characters moving in a specific environment.

My issue with the book is its story flow. I have read uncorrected proof copies before but I only encount
Reen
Jun 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Advanced Reader Copy (ARC) provided by the Author and Publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an fair and honest review. I struggled with the beginning of this book and looked for the first chapter thinking they were out of order but did not realize until the end of the book that it was at the end. I started a little confused but picked up the storyline which was complex and engaging. I had some issues with the names of the men in the Shadow Ops group, Who is named Dare or Vitus? Dare and Jenna ...more
Book Him Danno
I started this book right away feeling very lost as if I started the book in the middle of a chapter. I stopped picked up the first 4 books and quickly reviewed them thinking I missed something from the last book.

No I didn't miss anything.

This is the first book in the Unbroken Heroess series you will need to start with the previous books to even come close to understand what is going on. After being lost the story quickly recover with sexual tension that is steamy but is taken care of pretty fas
Christine
Feb 16, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc, dnf
DNF by the end of the first chapter, which I never do! I was so confused by the end of the first chapter that I looked back to find out the ARC starts with Chapter Two. So either I read the most confusing first chapter ever or there is a missing Chapter One. Either way, I was left with far too many questions and not enough answers to understand what was going on: Why did Dare put a chip in Jenna's shoulder? Why is Jenna under surveillance by Dare's team? Who's Kincaid? How did Dare not notice th ...more
Bette Hansen
Feb 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
While I've loved this series so far I found myself frustrated while reading this book. It's fast paced and filled with twists and turns and normally I find that a plus in a book but this one had so much going on at times I felt lost. Overall though I did find the book entertaining and enjoyable with all the nail biting action. It does have a nice romance and suspense.

While filling in for a friend on a catering job, Jenna Henson finds herself squarely in the middle of a covert operation being ove
Cheryl
Mar 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Instantly, I fell in love with Jenna. OMG. Jenna is one tough cookie. She really didn't need Dare to watch her back but what woman won't want a sexy man to protect them. Luckily, Dare can handle Jenna. Yet, he does have his hands full. They work well together as well as had good chemistry. When you have two strong main characters, you need a strong plot as well. I did get this within this book.

Can I also, mention the action. There is plenty. There was not a dull moment. In fact, there was some h
cupcakes and bookshelves
I'd not read any books in this series when invited to read this and overall it was an OK read. It had a good premise and the characters were interesting enough. Full of mystery and suspense however it did jump about a lot which I didn't like so much and left me a bit baffled with what exactly was going on by the end.

*ARC kindly given by NetGallery in exchange for an honest review. Thankies so much*
Pelusa Rivera
Rcvd an ARC at no cost to author. (netgalley) Well maybe it is my fault for starting the series with this book come to find out this the fifth. I love mystery, suspense action books, but this one just didn't do it for me I felt it all over the place and couldn't really get into it. Sorry folks just didn't win me over.
Donna
Feb 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shadow Ops Agent Dare Servant is focused and determined to do what he can to make the world a little safer. He can’t believe that some of his fellow badass agents have taken desk jobs for love. It will never happen to him. Never say never because despite his best efforts he finds himself falling for Jenna the feisty caterer in his protective custody. This story is filled with action and attraction. A hot, steamy runaway train that kept me up reading past my bedtime.
Though this is part of a serie
Ellen Anderson
Feb 27, 2018 rated it liked it
While I will give the author credit for a great storyline, I was not pleased with the book. To me it seemed to drag out and the conversations switched back and forth with no notice constantly. I also don't care for books that leave some of the main plot hanging at the end of the book. That is just my opinion. If those things don't bother you, then the story itself is great.
Heather 123
Mar 12, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Is the first part of this book missing????

DNF 15%

I don't get this book which may be because I haven't read any other books in this series but then it should be noted that this book cannot be read as a stand alone. The book opens with Jenna in a room apparently being watched while searching for jobs online. It's not clear who is watching her and why. Yet when confronted she doesn't see this as a huge issue and actually expects the cameras to be there.

There's no background to who she is, why she
Rebecca Whaley
Feb 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really good book! Some parts were a little slow but otherwise good. The plot was good and the characters were good. This is the first book I've read by this author and it won't be the last.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Heart Strike (Delta Force #2)
  • Total Bravery (True Heroes, #4)
  • Sexy SEAL Box Set: A SEAL's Seduction\A SEAL's Surrender\A SEAL's Salvation\A SEAL's Kiss
  • Hot as Hell (Security Specialists International, #4.5)
  • North's Nikki (Heroes for Hire #16)
  • Holding On (Hold Trilogy, #3.5)
  • The SEAL's Second Chance (Alpha Ops, #3)
  • Rough Edges (Edge, #5)
  • Compromised (Alpha Ops, #5)
  • Falling Hard (Bad Boys Undercover, #2)
  • Warrior (Crossfire, #5)
  • The Power of a SEAL (West Coast Navy SEALs #5)
  • Code of Silence (Seal Team 12, #7.5)
  • Special Forces Rendezvous (The Hunted, #2)
  •  Angel on Fire (Angel Investigations)
  • Fall Back (SEALs Undone, #6)
  • Cover of Night (Alpha Crew, #3)
  • Secrets (The Battling McGuire Boys, #2)
Dawn Ryder has not been abducted by gypsies. She stepped through a time tunnel and has been busy writing about Scots in kilts and English Knights for Kensington’s Brava line. but she will return, very soon to her special operations guys and the other characters that are demanding their turn to tell their story. please check back for updates and click on over to MaryWine.com to discover what she’s ...more

Unbroken Heroes (6 books)
  • Dangerous to Know (Unbroken Heroes, #1)
  • Dare You to Run (Unbroken Heroes, #2)
  • Deep Into Trouble (Unbroken Heroes, #3)
  • Take to the Limit (Unbroken Heroes, #4)
  • Don't Look Back (Unbroken Heroes, #6)