Start by marking “Intermediate Thermodynamics (Chemistry Lessons, #2)” as Want to Read:
Intermediate Thermodynamics (Chemistry Lessons, #2)

Intermediate Thermodynamics

(Chemistry Lessons #2)

Aerospace engineer Esther Abbott doesn’t believe in love, but she’s perfectly happy hating her screenwriter neighbor, Jonathan. Until she’s forced to make a devil’s bargain with him: if he distracts her best friend from a mouth-breather ex, Esther will be his science advisor for the sci-fi script he's writing.

Her patience is put to the test when it’s time to fulfill her en
Kindle Edition, 1st edition, 310 pages
Published October 4th 2017 by Haver Street Press (first published September 21st 2017)

To ask other readers questions about Intermediate Thermodynamics, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Intermediate Thermodynamics

Emer
Started so brightly with lots of humour and initially likeable characters but by the end it descended into such a dull, maudlin tale of cliched broken people. And that ending??? Why??? It just was stretched out for seemingly endless chapters and then when I got used to the interminable ending and thought oh okay, we are having this little extra piece of storyline it actually ended pretty abruptly!!!! Such a shame. Read book one in this series if you want something cute. This one is very meh!
Ruth
Jan 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
I thought I liked Susannah Nix's Remedial Rocket Science, but Intermediate Thermodynamics surpasses it in every way. The characterization, the romance, the tension -- every aspect of Esther and Jonathan's swoon-worthy romance possesses a depth and heart that left me utterly captivated. If this is how Nix avoids the infamous "sophomore slump," I cannot wait to see how her writing progresses. Sweet, funny, and heartfelt - highly recommended!
Rachel McMillan
Jan 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
It is so hard to get me to fall for a contemporary Romance. It is not often my genre of choice and as readers we all know that we get in moods and rhythms and we need certain books to meet our cravings at certain times.

Intermediate Thermodynamics might be one of the best Contemporary Romances I have ever read. It is certainly one of the smartest. Definitely one of the best-written and it is the only contemporary romance that has ever made me ugly cry.

I LOOOOOOOOVE THIS BOOK

RTC
Robyn
Aug 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018
A very believable romance between two imperfect people- hit all the right beats and was a lot of fun.
mith
find my review here!
----
I was surprised by the fact that I found myself enjoying this! I wasn't the biggest fan of book one, so I was a bit hesitant, but I'm glad I gave Esther's story a try.

Part of the reason I liked this a lot was because there was a solid best friend in this book. Jinny, her BFF, was a great character to have and I loved the interactions between her and Esther--there's a whole different side to the main character and I was happy that the author made their relationship such an
Stephen
Mar 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
The first book in this series, Remedial Rocket Science, read like a first effort. A good first effort, but hampered by characters a bit too tropey, voiced a bit too young, the attraction between Melody and Jeremy not quite believable.

Intermediate Thermodynamics is much more accomplished. Esther and Johnathan are complete characters and well voiced. I particularly liked this exchange between them:
Esther: I just think I was meant to be alone. I rather be by myself or with my friends than with any
Richard
Jul 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
In a nutshell we have: Exhibit A, Esther: really smart, but flawed in the relationship department, protagonist who works in the aerospace industry as an engineer and she's good at her job. She's got a big negative thing for Exhibit B, laundry-facility-hogging neighbor Jonathan, who is a scruffy wannabe screen-writer, but not doing so well at that, so he can use some help. (Incidentally, this same guy appeared as a minor character in the previous book, Remedial Rocket Science, and some other char ...more
Thenia
Jul 09, 2018 rated it liked it
Another heroine in a STEM field job, who is unfortunately less likeable than I remember the one of the previous book being.

Esther, an aerospace engineer, aka rocket scientist, is a meddler and a coward. Her best friend is considering getting back with her douchebag ex and Esther, wanting to keep that from happening, decides that setting her up with her cute neighbour is the best solution.

In order for that to happen, she kind of forces Jonathan, her neighbour into asking her friend out and going
Leigh Kramer
Mar 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
"She could work with that. She'd be the Henry Higgins to his Eliza Doolittle if that was what it took. She'd Pygmalion the shit out of him. As long as Jinny was willing to give him another chance." p. 45

Let’s talk about Susannah Nix’s novels and how happy they make me. I loved every part of this smart romance. (The heroines all work in STEM fields in this series!) It made me laugh and cry! Typically I struggle when a character makes a lie of omission but somehow Nix made it work here and I think
Annika
4.2 points :D
Once again I enjoyed author's writing very much but sadly I felt the main conflict to be somewhat contrived and didn't see any HUGE issues with heroine's actions in the beginning that kicked off the whole plot. Everybody else in the book did though, so I might be an awful human being. It is entirely possible.

It was true though that h avoided coming clean to everybody a bit too long thus creating a bit of a mess but certainly there was no mortal sin everybody seemed to perceive.

The
Andree
Jul 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018
Maybe 3.5 stars, but I felt like this got better as it progressed. Mostly, I wasn't wild about the start, but once it gets going, it's fairly charming.

I really like Esther and Jeremy becoming closer as she critiques his screenplay. The secondary characters are all pretty great; females in STEM fields is always a plus. I enjoy how casual workplace sexism is dealt with. It's condemned, and it's also fairly realistically done, and a thing that I think should feature in more books. Bonus points for,
JG
Oct 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
I started reading this admittedly with some expectations that it was going to be a rom-com with a lot of geekiness/nerdiness topics squeezed between witty and humorous dialogue and basically lighthearted. Instead, I got a very snarky and abrasive female protagonist, who happens to be very smart and a potential love interest whose first impression was that of a highbrow would be scriptwriter. There were no sparks of attraction initially jumping off the page at all when these two are introduced. E ...more
Claire
Dec 27, 2017 rated it liked it
3.5 stars.

Okay, this was much better than the first book in this series.

The romance was better as there was a tighter plot to it.

Esther annoyed me as a character though which is why this wasn’t rated higher. I think this was because she wasn’t super flushed out as a character. There was little depth to her backstory as to why she was emotionally distant. It was just given and not fully explored until she decides to overcome it. I also didn’t care for her being so defensive about legitimate criti
Renee
Jan 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Read this book if you like brainy, complex, messed up heroines. Read this if you like hipster dudes sans man buns (man buns are the worst). Read this if you like choosy cats. Read this if you like romance. Read this if you like books. Read it.
Kim
Find this review and more at kimberlyfaye reads.

I am so freaking glad I finally made the time to dive into Susannah Nix's Chemistry Lessons series. If you read my review of the first book in the series, Remedial Rocket Science, you know how much I enjoyed it. It got me off to a good start with Susannah's writing and the series, but Intermediate Thermodynamics was a whole other level for me. I loved every little thing about this delightful book. I listened to the audiobook version and I think t
Shelee at Book Reader Chronicles
**4.5 Stars**

Lighthearted and smart, Intermediate Thermodynamics was a fresh and fun take on a rom-com. With Nix's unique characters, both immensely smart and well-tasked in their respective careers, their banter and intelligence played off of one other in a funny and charming way, making it easy to laugh and quickly turn the pages for more. Along with the humor was the slow, but beautiful progression from a love-hate dynamic to more, and the ease with which it was to transition from one to th
Valéria Alves
Aug 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Olha, a história e o desenvolvimento em si merecem três estrelas, porque demorou alguns capítulos para a Nix encontrar o ritmo que ela do livro e a Esther é mwio chatinha.
PORÉM, CONTUDO, TODAVIA!!!!
O livro mais receber uma estrela bônus por alguns motivos muito importantes:

• Os protagonistas assistiram "What we do in the shadows" e fizeram maratona de "Flight of the Conchords"
• Mocinha perguntou para o mocinho sobre as amigas lésbicas dele e ele disse, "elas não lésbicas, ela são BISSEXUAIS" (
Rhode
Dec 23, 2018 rated it it was ok
DNFed at 43% fairly soon after we learn the heroine, a young woman, is financially supporting her mother who isn’t disabled, just incompetent at working and budgeting. Then, we learn the hero’s mom is a surgeon who doesn’t bother to show much affection for her husband because she is so ‘type a’.

This is the second book I’ve read by this author and both books feature awful mothers, one successful but cold and the other poor but hopelessly unsophisticated and useless. In neither case is a mother a
Michele
My only complain is: If I want to see a story that ends as soon as the couple gets together I'd watch a Hallmark movie. I want to see them in a relationship, I want epilogues of them months/years later. I want more. This one ended quite abruptly. That being said, really adorable book. I'm reading the 3rd one for sure. Probably now lol
Shannon
Oct 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Another wonderful romantic comedy. The main characters are flawed and real. No punches are pulled with the situations they go through and there is no sudden (unrealistic) switch that gets flipped and makes everything turn out perfect. The happiness they get they worked for and even then it is not "fairytale perfect" but "real life" perfect.
Beth
May 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
for me these covers are what pulled me in right off the bat. I enjoyed this series, got 3 all at once. they were on a good price at the time of buying. Love the cover, I enjoy a romantic comedies ... new to Susannah Nix ... will read more from her in the near future. ( :
Kimberly Russell
Jun 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is such a fun series.
Elohor Egbordi
Mar 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Once again, I got to read about a heroine that reminds me so much of myself. Uncanny, really. I loved it!!!!
Veronique
Aug 22, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018, stars-3-5
3.5*
Kathy
Mar 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
So fun and lovely

I couldnt put this down. I loved Jonathan and was really rooting for Esther yo figure things out between her and her friend and between her and Jonathan.
Lorien
This one dragged a lot for me in the middle and I didn't like the heroine much and the whole book was her perspective. But the turned herself around and the last bit of the book was cute.
Heather
Apr 06, 2018 rated it liked it
This book was adorable. I love Susannah Nix's characters so far and the L.A. setting is also kind of fun to read about - I haven't read many books set there for some reason.
  • Making Up (London Celebrities, #3)
  • Game of Hearts (Fandom Hearts, #3)
  • Joy of Witchcraft (Jane Madison, #5)
  • Oh, Naughty Night!
  • Escape to Willow Cottage
  • Scenes from the Hallway (Knitting in the City, #6.5)
  • Home to You
  • Inferno (The Jinn Trilogy,# 2)
  • Stripped (Happy Endings, #1)
  • Another Woman’s Man
  • A Duke by Default (Reluctant Royals, #2)
  • The Princess Trap (Dirty British Romance, #1)
  • Wrong to Need You (Forbidden Hearts, #2)
  • Confessions of a Secret Admirer: A Valentine's Day Anthology
  • A Most Suitable Duchess
  • Her Naughty Holiday (Men at Work, #2)
  • Love Me By Christmas
  • Swept Away (Grayton #5)
Susannah Nix lives in Texas with her husband, two ornery cats, and a flatulent pit bull. When she’s not writing, she enjoys reading, cooking, knitting, watching stupid amounts of television, and getting distracted by Tumblr. She is also a powerlifter who can deadlift as much as Captain America weighs.

Chemistry Lessons (3 books)
  • Remedial Rocket Science (Chemistry Lessons, #1)
  • Advanced Physical Chemistry (Chemistry Lessons, #3)
“His blue eyes were brimming with affection. Too much affection. It was painful to look at. Like stepping out of a dark building into blinding sunlight.” 1 likes
“The carrots weren’t working; it was time for a little stick.” 0 likes