Start by marking “The Medical Examiner (Women's Murder Club #16.5)” as Want to Read:
The Medical Examiner (Women's Murder Club #16.5)

The Medical Examiner

(Women's Murder Club #16.5)

Two bodies arrived at the morgue. One was still breathing.

A woman checks into a hotel room and entertains a man who is not her husband. A shooter blows away the lover and wounds the millionairess, leaving her for dead. Is it the perfect case for the Women's Murder Club – or just the most twisted?
Audible Audio
Published August 10th 2017

To ask other readers questions about The Medical Examiner, please sign up.
Susan No. (Or at least, not yet... Some books have a large print version come out somewhat later than the original.) Ebook readers should let you adjust the…moreNo. (Or at least, not yet... Some books have a large print version come out somewhat later than the original.) Ebook readers should let you adjust the font-size upwards though. That the work-around I usually use.(less)

Sheri
Aug 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, 2017
A suspenseful short story featuring (most of) the Women's Murder Club. A nice change of pace to see Rich and Cindy as the lead couple. Intriguing storyline had me hooked, this one's a winner!
Matt
Sep 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bookshots
Continuing a mini BookShots binge, I found myself gravitating to another piece that links one of James Patterson’s long-running series, The Women’s Murder Club. Working in collaboration with Maxine Paetro, Patterson has been able to keep these stories entertaining and usually of high quality, amidst a number of hit and miss attempts at writing. With Detective Lindsay Boxer on a much needed vacation, the Club is down to three active members. Dr. Claire Washburn arrives to work on Monday and finds ...more
Stacey
Oct 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I didn't know that this existed until one of my friends reviewed it. Thank you Matt.

2 homicides come into the medical examiner's lab. 1 of them isn't dead and helps unzip the body bag she's in. CREEPY. She doesn't know anything about the man she was in bed with and has no recollection of the night. Dead end until gun shots trigger her memory and this case is off and running!

I'm addicted to The Women's Murder Club series. I liked that 16.5 was a BookShot. It had all the thrills in a condensed rea
Brenda
When ME Claire Washburn entered the mortuary for another day’s work she had no idea she’d be confronted by a little-known phenomenon that she’d heard of but not encountered before. With her night doctor passing the notes of the previous hours to Claire, she learned there had been several fatalities overnight. But it was the sudden awareness of noises that alerted Claire to the fact that not all residents were deceased…

When Sergeant Lindsay Boxer and her husband Joe left town for a week’s vacatio
Krystin Rachel
This felt like I was reading WMC Fanfiction written by a fan of Cindy's. Who is a fan of Cindy's? Please.

Bad writing, bad dialogue. Lazy plot.

But I don't really expect much anymore from the Great and Powerful Oz (erm, Patterson.)

Ohhhhhh a dead body in a morgue that isn't actually dead?! *fart noises*

An in the closet gay man and his boring ass wife? *fart noises*

This wasn't even pretending to be entertaining.

And who does Joan think she is? She doesn't belong in the WMC. No one is friends with Jo
Suzanne
Mar 24, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I hope we see more of crazy, but amusing Joan in future women’s murder club books, because that woman was entertaining to read about. Actually this BookShot had a few very entertaining characters. This is by far my favorite BookShot I have read to date. It had a great plot (woman not dead but pronounced dead) and gave a sweet fix on the characters we have come to love from this series.

My quick and simple overall: why couldn’t this have been longer? I needed this to be a full sized novel. Fun re
Marianne
The Medical Examiner is a short story in the Women’s Murder Club series by prolific American author, James Patterson. It is published under the BookShots: stories at the speed of life banner and is co-written by Maxine Paetro. It starts out with Claire Washburn being surprised by a body in the morgue that is not actually dead. Lindsay Boxer is on vacation with Joe Molinari, so Richie Conklin investigates. But reporter Cindy Thomas, always after a good story, sniffs out some details of her own an ...more
Tiffany PSquared
Lindsay Boxer gets a well-deserved vacation and Cindy and Claire take center stage in this Women's Murder Club short.

A woman is placed in the morgue with multiple gunshot wounds. Nothing extraordinary for a day in Claire's world. It's only when the woman wakes up and starts talking that her day gets more interesting.

How is this woman is alive and who thought they killed her? James Patterson invites us into yet another of gritty mysteries with the skilled and gutsy women of the Murder Club.

Shelley
Aug 12, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Love the series, hate the book. The writing is dreadful. People don't talk like the characters were talking in this book. There is no way an ME is going to call for an ambulance and say, "I need an ambulance pronto." Pronto was actually said twice. There were many of these. I was listening to an audiobook, or I would give more examples of the horrible writing.
Laurie Buchanan
May 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm brand new to the Women's Murder Club series by James Patterson and Maxine Paetro. I listened to the audio version of "The Medical Examiner" on a flight from Boise to San Diego and it didn't disappoint. This thriller series features an all-female cast of main characters—a homicide detective, reporter, chief medical examiner, and a district attorney. Will I read more books in the series? You betcha! And lest I forget, the voice talent for this audiobook was offered by Kate Russell—she was exce ...more
Tiffy
Sep 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved this bookshot of the Women's Murder Club. Can't wait for the next full book in the series!
Carol
Nov 15, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
FIRST READ: The Medical Examiner (Women's Murder Club)
I've really enjoyed some of the Bookshots written by some of the authors lately. I really like the Women's Murder Club books. I've read most of them, and when I saw this book, thought that would be very interesting and enjoyable. I was wrong. This came out quite disappointing. Was sorry it was so lacking in plot. The plot was light in this book and the story just seemed to miss the mark on this one. The concept is kind of a fun idea, but this
Meghan
Aug 17, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I generally don't write reviews on the books I read, because I never have much to say other than whether or not I liked it. But I'm feeling the need to comment here because as much as I hate to say it, this series has gone so downhill. These past few books have been difficult to get through, but this was probably the worst. It felt like I was reading WMC fanfiction.

My other complaint is Cindy. She is becoming more and more unbearable with every book and it makes me wonder WHY these women are fr
Donna
Aug 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good but..................

I have enjoyed ,very much so, all of James Patterson books!!! Especially, The Women's Murder Club Series!!! But in my opinion THIS SERIES DOES NOT BELONG IN THE BOOKSHOT CLUB!!!!!!! Putting it to a bookshot literally takes away from the story because it is so rushed !! It felt like every sentence of scene had to be written as quickly as possible so that it could remain in the "Bookshot Club"!!!!!
Please leave The Women's Murder Club Series in regular form😉😉😉
Donna
Aug 19, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Getting past the fact that I don't like short stories, at least this one was about one of my favorite James Patterson series, the Women's Murder Club. I always enjoy old friends Lindsey, Claire, Cindy and Yuri. Claire and Cindy figure most prominently in this story. The good part about these Bookshots is that they are easy and fast to read. One downside is being too short to develop the relationship between victim and killer.
Nurse Lisa In Ohio (PRN Book Reviews)
3.5/5 stars...funny and mysterious with one of my favorite Clubs :))
Keri
Jun 13, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bookshots
3.5 stars. I did like this story, it was nice not to have Lindsay as the focal point for once and get more with the other characters this time. I also liked it more I think since I’ve read all the books in this series. That way it takes out some of the rushed feeling because you know the characters already. Even so, I did feel like the story could’ve been more developed, if not for the short format. I enjoyed it, it was a full story with beginning middle and end, it just didn’t hook me that much ...more
☆Dani☆ ☆Touch My Spine Book Reviews☆

You can find this review on my website at http://touchmyspinebookreviews.com/20...
Claire Washburn, Chief Medical Examiner thinks it's going to be a busy night at the morgue when two bodies show up at the morgue but she is even more surprised when only one of them is dead! Since Lindsay Boxer is away on a much needed vacation with her husband Joe, Rich Conklin takes on the case of millionaress that returns from the dead was found in a hotel left for dead with her lover(not her husband) dead on t
Elizabeth
Cute novella from the Women’s Murder Club.
Amy "the book-bat"
It was nice having a story more focused on Claire and Rich, but it seemed a little strange being in this world without Lindsay Boxer.
Stephanie ((Strazzybooks))
Bookshots are so hit or miss. Though I love the WMC series and was glad to hear more from Claire, this shorter story fell super flat. Very forgettable and cliche.
Mahoghani 23
We all have to depart this world one day but what if you woke up in a body bag, in a drawer at the morgue? This is the mysterious plot that gets deeper into crazy than you or I may realize. Of course we know that there's death involved but a few other distinct characters join the team; infidelity, lies, homosexuality, even PTSD.

A woman finds herself lying naked in a body bag at the morgue. She's been shot twice but can't remember what happened and no one knows why she's in the morgue, clearly s
McCaid Paul
This was my first Bookshot. It was by no means perfect, but I still enjoyed it.
The premise sounded great: a woman who wakes up at the morgue and can't remember the events of the night before, where the man she was entertaining--who wasn't her husband--was found murdered in their hotel room. It was a quick and easy read, although it felt much longer than it really was. Is that even possible?
Under 150 pages, and completely story-driven with no fluff, Bookshots are a great way to pass the time. I
Joyce
Sep 30, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a Women's Murder Club Book Shot so it was a very quick read. A couple were found dead in a San Francisco hotel room. They were brought in to the ME's office. In the morning when Claire came in she discovered the woman was not dead and arranged for her to be taken to the hospital where her two gunshot wounds could be treated. Rich, Lindsey's partner, asked to handle the case and began to investigate the circumstances of the murder and second shooting. Cindy is also looking into the case ...more
Rose
Aug 14, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This is a Bookshot of The Women's Murder Club series, and it was terrible! The writing is awful, I felt it was so poorly written. The first "murder" victim is cold and unemotional, yet she is suddenly friends with the group? It doesn't make sense. Also, the murderer too easily confessed. It seemed as if the author realized they had to wrap up the book to keep it under 150 pages, so the finish was rushed. Very disappointing.
Linda
Oct 26, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This Bookshots 125 page story follows the Women's Murder Club members as they risk life and limb trying to solve this case dealing with a body in the morgue that would not remain dead. After a murder in a local Hotel, two people are transported to be examined by the local M.A. One is heard making noises and is rushed to the hospital. There are several theories, and by the end, more are dead. Who done it? Read it for the answer. A lot packed into a few pages.
Teri Pre
Sep 26, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: No one
Shelves: 2017-reads, gave-up
This is why I quit:

Clair: She appeared to be dead, but in fact , she was cataleptic .
Cindy: Is that like catatonic?
Clair laughed: No! Not at all!

Um....excuse me???? Any author with an OUNCE of credibility would have noticed that the two words seemed related....and LOOKED THEM UP!!!
Tina
Riveting and made me want to read more, as all bookshots do. However, there was absolutely no character development of the Murphys which would lead to the very tidy conclusion and an unrealistic potential addition to the Women's Murder Club. A bit disappointed overall but did like that the story moved and kept me wanting more.
Marybeth Lapilla
Very enjoyable

As always the Women's Murder Club did not disappoint. The story was short but was filled with a lot of plot twists. I really enjoyed it and am looking forward the the ladies next adventure.

Jeanette Hurrelbrink
Medical Examiner

A quick read involving the Women's Murder Club. These ladies always make for an interesting read. It wasn't the best I have read but it was still interesting. A quick twist made it a fun read.
Purpose of using medical pc in health department 1 1 Aug 29, 2019 01:32AM
Medical, crime, New York city 1 1 Nov 24, 2018 07:26AM

• A Wedding in Maine
  • Tahoe Blowup (Owen McKenna #2)
  • Knock, Knock, You're Dead!: A Hamish Macbeth Short Story (Hamish Macbeth, #30.5)
  • The Delta Chain
  • The Guy Who Died Twice (Detective D.D. Warren, #9.5)
  • Year of Decisions
  • They Never Came Back
  • Plumbing For Willy (Select Sound Buys)
  • The Ultimatum (Jeremy Fisk #3)
  • Wedding Shots
  • Murder Mile (Tennison, #4)
  • Rabby (The Ghosts of Culloden Moor, #7)
  • Random Acts (Joanna Brady, #16.6; Ali Reynolds, #11.5)
  • The Silent Ghost (A Ghost of Granny Apples Mystery, #3.5)
  • Where Darkness Lives (Guardians of Eternity, #8.5)
  • Hidden (CSI Reilly Steel, #3)
  • SEALed with a Ring (SEALed, #3)
  • Lilith and the Stable Hand (Bluestocking Brides #5)
Official US Site
Official UK Site
JIMMY Patterson Books
ReadKiddoRead

James Patterson is the world’s bestselling author and most trusted storyteller. He has created more enduring fictional characters than any other novelist writing today, with his Alex Cross, Michael Bennett, Women’s Murder Club, Private, NYPD Red, Daniel X, Maximum Ride, and Middle School series. He has sold over 380 million books wo

Women's Murder Club (1 - 10 of 20 books)
  • 1st to Die (Women's Murder Club, #1)
  • 2nd Chance (Women's Murder Club, #2)
  • 3rd Degree (Women's Murder Club, #3)
  • 4th of July (Women's Murder Club, #4)
  • The 5th Horseman (Women's Murder Club, #5)
  • The 6th Target (Women's Murder Club, #6)
  • 7th Heaven (Women's Murder Club, #7)
  • The 8th Confession (Women's Murder Club, #8)
  • The 9th Judgment  (Women's Murder Club, #9)
  • 10th Anniversary (Women's Murder Club, #10)
“But Mrs. Joan Murphy, the subject, was not making Conklin’s job any easier. She was understandably distraught, traumatized, and possibly a bit squirrelly. As a result, she’d taken the interview straight off road, through the deep woods, and directly over a cliff.” 0 likes