Jump to ratings and reviews

Texas Rodeo #4

Fearless in Texas

He'd step in front of a bull to save a life
But even he's no match for a girl this Texas tough

Rodeo bullfighter Wyatt Darrington's got it all figured out. The perfect car, the perfect job, the perfect looks – the perfect lie. He may be on the fast track to the Hall of Fame, but he knows he'll always be an outsider to people like Melanie Brookman. Texas-born and bred, with the arena in her blood, Melanie's come to see Wyatt as her personal enemy, and that suits him just fine – this way, she'll never realize the truth.

He's been crazy in love with her for years.

Melanie's always been a fighter. Fiercely independent and tough as nails, she's stood up to everything that got in her way – including Wyatt. But now her infamous temper's got her on the ropes, and there's nowhere left to run but toward the man she swore she'd never trust... and this time, there's no denying just how hot he makes her burn.

450 pages, Kindle Edition

First published April 3, 2018

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Kari Lynn Dell

11 books261 followers
Kari Lynn Dell is a native of north central Montana, a third generation ranch-raised cowgirl, horse trainer and rodeo competitor, most recently the 2017 Canadian Senior Pro Rodeo Breakaway Roping season champion. She attended her first rodeo at two weeks old and has existed in a state of horse-induced poverty ever since. She currently resides on the family ranch on the Blackfeet Reservation, loitering in her parents’ bunkhouse along with her husband, son and Max and Spike the Cowdogs, with a tipi on the front step, a view of Glacier National Park from her writing desk and Canada within spitting distance.

Come visit at KariLynnDell.com and sign up for the newsletter to get first shot at early releases, special prizes and bonus content, and keep current on what's next on the publication front

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
13 (2%)
1 star
5 (1%)
Displaying 1 - 30 of 55 reviews
Profile Image for Anna's Herding Cats.
1,274 reviews307 followers
February 15, 2018

Reviewed for herding cats & burning soup. (posting to blog 4/23/18)
Amazon: http://amzn.to/2o3wUma

Fearless in Texas. So, yeah. The hero... isn't a cowboy. And the book takes place... in Oregon. So, the cover is a bit special this time. Hot but, erm, yeah, okay. lol

The Gist: Melanie needs to escape town after shit hits the fan and winds up agreeing to put her professional skills to use saving Wyatt's floundering bar. The two have kind of been at odds but both needing each other in different ways agree to work together... for now.

Mel and Wyatt were fiery. They are rocking that love-hate thing. They absolutely love to rile each other up which was entertaining as all hell. They're so perfect for each other, too, when they could just stop themselves from being punks. lol

Mel is a headstrong heroine. She goes full force into everything and doesn't back down. Loves fiercely but battles a temper that gets the best of her now and again. I didn't always love how she handled herself but liked her overall.

And Wyatt. Yall. He's nearing 40 and has never felt like he had a community connection or that anyone would ever pick him when things were on the line. He's always stayed on the outside looking in, almost. He's a total giver even if it's behind the scenes and others don't know it's him. He's brilliant and crafty. And NOT a cowboy. He's a bullfighter but that's it. Doesn't do cowboy gear, doesn't have a ranch, isn't a fan of any of that. He's clean cut and polished. And can't ride a horse other than for proper showing. NOT A COWBOY! lol

I did like them both. And them as a couple. Seeing them let down their guard and try to stop sniping at each other long enough to actually get things done and find out more about the other.

So why only a 3. I don't know. The other books flowed so nicely but this one felt rougher. Like it needed a bit more polish to it. And I had issues with the "white guilt" "white privilege" crap that kept sneaking in. Gag and eye roll. I also had some trouble with a trope used. I hate a secret baby trope and somehow this managed to have a secret baby even though neither the hero nor the heroine actually have a child so that was weird and not my favorite thing

Overall, I enjoyed Fearless in Texas. There where some funny moments and some incredibly endearing ones as they each deal with their own issues. I just wish I had clicked with this one like I did the previous three. I had to fight a feeling of being out of sync with the book nearly the entire time. Something was just off this time.
Profile Image for Book Lover.
553 reviews42 followers
April 6, 2018
Melanie and Wyatt have been dancing around each other for the last 5 years. Attracted but constantly butting heads and arguing. "Though if she were honest, it was usually her taking the shots and Wyatt deflecting them - but he did have a killer backhand return."

Melanie use to be a roping rodeo champion but got sidetracked by a marketing career. She is headstrong, outspoken, and has a very poor brain to mouth filter. Her latest outburst was responsible for the loss of her reputation, job and career. Her friends send Wyatt to make sure she doesn’t doing anything else stupid and he ends up offering her a job. He wants her to use her marketing skills to make his newest acquisition, a bar, a successful venture.

Wyatt is much more than he appears. He’s not your typical bull fighter. He is not a cowboy hat, jeans and boots guy, preferring ironed dress shirts, dress pants and tasseled loafers. He comes from a wealthy, religious family that he left behind due to their blatant hypocrisies. He has strived to make his life mean something by helping others and giving back. He is well connected.

As Wyatt and Melanie spend time together, their attraction goes from smoldering to exploding. I just loved Wyatt. He was a friend to everyone but didn’t feel he was worthy of their friendship in return. He had been in love with Melanie for years but just knew she would never return the feeling, so he "...continued to live off the crumbs she tossed..." and helped her behind the scenes whenever possible. Melanie irritated me at times with her attitude but she eventually figures it all out.

The one complaint I have is that the cover model in no way reflects Wyatt’s description.

This is the fourth book in the series and another hit. I really enjoy this author's ability to pull out your emotions and get you invested in the characters right from the beginning. I’m already anticipating the next book in the series!

I voluntarily reviewed an ARC provided by NetGalley and the publisher.
Profile Image for Tonya Lucas.
1,107 reviews10 followers
July 17, 2020
Ever so often I’ll stumble on an author that rocks my world.
Last summer a new author exploded into my life, when I read Reckless In Texas.
I had sworn off authors who wrote about Rodeo, because growing up in that realm, no author I’ve ever read knew what they were writing about. Then I read Kari Lynn Dell’s book and I was catapulted back into my world. She got it and gave it due justice!!!!
Now I’m on the 4th book in this series. Fearless In Texas, with it mysterious storyline of a character, who had been teasing us since the 1st book.
Wyatt Darrington, unique to say the least, is quite a character that needed his story told. Wyatt not fitting the norm in the rodeo world, which he resides in as a professional bullfighter, but it actually works for him and his amazing personality.
Melanie Brookman, Texas born and arena raised has always just been right there worming her way under his protective reserve and secretive desire.
This book has kept me on the edge of my seat from the beginning, scratching my head, tapping my chin, and trying to jog my memory, as to what I missed before. It’s that captivating and mysteriously written.
This book is beyond phenomenal, it’s deep, inquisitive, and certainly shows Kari Lynn Dell’s ability to write exceptional books with a classic-scholar depth.
Profile Image for Blodeuedd Finland.
3,372 reviews290 followers
October 25, 2018
Oh Wyatt, can I just tell you all how much I love Wyatt. He was just so sweet and wanted to save everyone and I was all but what about you! You need someone too.
Oh and cowboys! If you had not notice I really like this genre. I do have to mention that since my last one I did actually see a rodeo on tv! Whaaat? Yes it was on this sports channel, but ok so I can read, but watch it, ha, no.

To the book! Wyatt is a cutie and we learn so much about him.

Melanie used to be a great rodeo roper, but her career took more and more time, and she just stopped doing it. And she loved it. Not to mention riding. Poor Melanie, oh you will see. She had a savior complex too, this regarding her little brother (who made me so mad).

They always argue and now they are stuck together. The best banter makes for heated...talks ;)

I liked how it all happened. There was much talking things through and getting to know each other better. It was just these two working through their issues and falling hard. What is there not to enjoy.

Good romance with that ever present rodeo vibe

Narrator Johanna Parker
I like her accent and she really makes me feel like I am there. She has a good range and she is perfect for this.
Profile Image for Alison.
3,080 reviews119 followers
October 8, 2018
Five years ago, at their friends Violet and Joe's wedding Wyatt Darrington and Melanie Brookman realised that they had off the charts chemistry, sadly they also both had large intellects and tremendous tempers and realised that any relationship between them would inevitably crash and burn, destroying their relationships with Violet and Joe forever. So they agreed to step back, walk away and never cross that line. And in five years they never have, they goad one another incessantly on the rare occasions they do meet but no more. And since Wyatt threatened to have Mel's kid brother Hank blacklisted in every rodeo in the USA Mel feels more dislike than anything else.

Then Mel discovers she has been betrayed in the worst way possible and burns her bridges with gusto, luckily Violet and Joe call Wyatt to help her out - I mean an omniscient billionaire with connections is always handy to have in your back pocket, right? Feeling like she's made a deal with the devil (and possibly endangered her heart) Mel agrees to work for Wyatt in Oregon in return for his help in tracing Hank, who has disappeared without a trace.

Wyatt realised a long time ago that it wasn't lust he felt for Melanie, but recent events have meant that he is keeping devastating secrets from her, and lying about it. It's pure torture working with a a woman who lights up his world when he knows at any second that she will discover the truth and leave him forever.

Wyatt has been ever-present in the last three novels and really deserved his own HEA. I wasn't sure if Kari could pull this off, so often the greatest characters fall flat in the romance stakes, but I needn't have worried. Wyatt's secret is a doozy and he HAS TO keep it a secret from Mel but ho boy do those sparks fly!

Great romance, worth the wait ... now do I want to read Hank's story? I'd rather read Gil's.
Profile Image for Brandee (un)Conventional Bookworms.
1,315 reviews135 followers
April 11, 2018
*4.5 Stars*
This series just keeps getting better! Dell excels in entertaining and poignant storytelling. I was eager for Wyatt and Melanie's story and Dell delivered a one that kept me glued to the pages. I can't wait to see who's next. ;)

***
In my review of Tougher in Texas, I said this about waiting for Fearless in Texas

"...since the stories keep getting more entertaining, I *know* it'll be worth the wait."

And guess what? Dell DID NOT DISAPPOINT! Seriously, this series just gets better and better! I think I'm suffering from a book hangover. Dell delivered another compelling story with characters that are brilliantly brought to life. I'm chomping at the bit for the next installment!

Highlights:

*Character Development
Dell excels here and this might be her best yet in this department. (it's a toss up between Melanie/Wyatt and Shawnee/Cole) With Melanie, we have this extremely intuitive gal who makes an art out of reading people. But she isn't so good at turning that talent on herself. With a little help, she does and she isn't all that fired up at what she sees. She does become introspective whenever she's sorting things out so to see her use that introspection on herself, be along with her as she decides on what to change and how to change it and then watch her execute was inspiring. In Wyatt, we have a man who yearns for a connection...a community...a family. Learning his backstory made his behavior and his actions understandable. But it saddened me that despite having the community  and family he longed for with Joe and Violet, the Jacobs family, and the rodeo, he still felt like an outsider. Witnessing Melanie give him his heart's desire was...well, heartwarming.

*Secondary Characters & Side Plots
Dell has crafted quite a colorful cast and they along with the side plots add depth and complexity to the story. They also make me debate with myself over who I hope to see in the next installment. From Louie and Gordon, Helen and Rowdy, Grace...gosh! There's so many wonderfully drawn characters and then I get to spend time with some whom I've already met as well. *sigh* I love them all.

*Setting
Up to this point, this series has spent most of its time in West Texas and as I've said, Dell captures life in West Texas well. This installment, due to Melanie's need to "get the hell out of Dodge", was spent in and around Pendleton, Oregon. What are the odds Dell would pick another place I'm familiar with? And she nailed the description of the town and the landscape. She's really about to put you there and I love that. Also, the rodeo took a bit of a back seat here but it still had its place and we get to spend time with the horses, cows, and rope. =)

*Thought-provoking
I mentioned this in my review of Tougher in Texas but this I'm mentioning it again because it's worth saying. The Texas Rodeo series is romance but the romance is secondary to the story, in my opinion. I like that Dell has her characters take deeper looks at themselves, consider their mistakes and learn from them, figure out what they want in life and how to go about making that happen. And a common theme seems to be never, ever denying yourself love.

I suppose Fearless in Texas had a little different tone since the rodeo wasn't front and center but it was every bit as riveting as its predecessors. Dell wove together a cast of characters I couldn't help by love with a story that kept me captivated. I can't thank Anna enough for turning me on to Dell!

Parker continues impressing me with her ability to keep the pace just right and deliver on all the emotions. And for the most part, she keeps her voices distinct. She's become a favorite narrator of mine, honestly. And I'm once again anxious for the next book in the series!

*I received an eARC from the publisher via Netgalley as well as a complimentary audio copy from Tantor. This did not affect my rating and my review is provided voluntarily.*
Profile Image for Glenda Kinard.
223 reviews4 followers
May 12, 2018
Omg I give up this author Kari Lynn Dell keeps making me love each book even more just when I think I can’t love her books even more she does just that!! I don’t know that I’ve ever been blown so away by books as I have been this Rodeo Cowboy series!!! I will love KLD books forever!! I could probably write this review on and on but I won’t!! I do love Melanie and Wyatt and certainly can’t wait till next book by this amazing author Kari Lynn Dell has blown me away!! BLOWN ME AWAY!!!
Profile Image for Stephanie Jenkins Ortiz Cerrillo.
372 reviews10 followers
April 19, 2018
Another great addition to the Texas Rodeo series. Melanie Brookman is what I call a true Texas woman, very independent, tough, has a quick temper, (which isn't a good thing but it often goes with these other traits) smart, loves horses, cattle, rodeos, cowboys and tries like heck to not ever wear her heart on her sleeve. A quick temper lands her in trouble and in the path of Wyatt Darrington that she has tried for five years to avoid.

Rodeo bullfighter, Wyatt Darrington, appears to everyone to be a man with a perfect life, wealthy, smarter than most, handsome, has everything he wants in life including his dream job. Well almost everything, he hasn't found the woman to share his life with. Growing up in a privileged wealthy family a rodeo cowboy is about the farthest thing from how he was raised could be. He is very much an outsider to the world he's chose to work in and his best friends are part of. Wyatt has been hiding some big secrets from his friends and particularly Melanie. So what was he thinking by offering Melanie to promote his new bar. How will he keep his secrets from her. It is just another instance of Wyatt always going to everyones rescue.

A great read and I can't wait to see what happens and who the next book is about. I never read the spoilers, blurbs or reviews on a book that is by an author I love. I like to go into the book not knowing what its about. So I'm hoping Kari Lynn Dell brings on more rodeo action in her next book.
Profile Image for Isha Coleman.
6,796 reviews131 followers
March 28, 2018
Melanie and Wyatt have a history. From acquaintances to enemies, attraction has always meandered in the shadows. Their issues reach the boiling point when secrets start to reveal themselves little by little. What seems complicated is relatively simple, if these fighters give up the battle and surrender to their hearts. Ms. Dell checks all the boxes for any romance lover. Tempting, engaging, feel good read.
Profile Image for Jerri.
94 reviews2 followers
April 4, 2018
Can't fight what the heart wants

Wyatt and Melanie go through so much turmoil to arrive at undeniable passion. The story is a long and torturous one. Saddle up and hang on. Kari Lynn Dell has put a lot of emotion into this one. The series just gets better and better. Don't shortchange yourself, read all of the series. Rodeo written by a knowledgeable professional. Characters with such depth you want to meet them. Best series out there, bar none.
Profile Image for Babs.
Author 16 books188 followers
January 24, 2018
Melanie has really messed up with time but dating a client whom she finds out is married. Everyone throws her under the bus but her best friend sends Wyatt to watch out for her.

Melanie doesn’t need Wyatt to watch her she wants more, but he is complicated. Wyatt lets Melanie helps with his bar that is failing at the moment.

Can these two work together and not fight?

These two characters were fun to read about. They each had issues to work out and they work well together. It keeps the readers turning the pages.

I voluntarily read a copy of this book.
Profile Image for Susan Gorman.
385 reviews1 follower
April 1, 2018
Fearless in Texas by Kari Lynn Dell
The air sizzled during the first few pages of Fearless in Texas as Melanie Brookman and Wyatt Darrington dance at a friend’s wedding. The couple acknowledges their attraction but decides not to give into it. An affair would only lead to complications. Kari Lynn Dell’s descriptive writing and smart dialogue immediately drew me into this superbly written character driven story.

Five years later…..
Melanie let her temper guide her and as a result her career and her love life has taken a tailspin. She accepts a job offer from Wyatt and leaves Texas for Oregon. There is so much more to Wyatt- he’s not your typical bullfighter. I adored reading about this driven, well connected, complicated man. In exchange for Melanie’s help in reopening his bar, Wyatt has promised to help Melanie find her estranged brother. Wyatt’s promise is a key element in the storyline. The promise draws the couple together and it has the power to tear them apart. The plot choice made the novel a compelling read.
Loved that both Melanie and Wyatt were older and had history. Melanie is a fun character—it took me awhile to figure out this feisty, headstrong woman. Melanie’s emotions rule her heart and she misjudges situations; these actions provide insight to her. In contrast, the twice divorced Wyatt appealed to me. Loved Wyatt’s relationship with Grace, Gil, Louie and his dedication to his rodeo clinic. After five years, the sexual attraction between Melanie and Wyatt is still present in every conversation, text and meeting between the couple. The couple tries to keep their feelings in check but eventually passion overwhelms them.
Fearless In Texas is a well-paced sensuous read with two dynamic lead characters. Loved the chapter when Wyatt and Melanie hike along the Coyote Ridge trail and are forced to stay overnight in the woods because Wyatt has reinjured his ankle. I could imagine Melanie helping the injured Wyatt out of the ravine, telling him to lean on her and setting up their campsite. The Truth or Dare game they played by the firelight provided interesting insight into both characters. Wyatt correctly guesses Melanie’s fear of the dark. The secondary characters added to the storyline and provided just the right amount of humor and insight. The author balances the storyline by providing insight into the competitive world of rodeo. The author shows through the characters of Melanie and Grace how much practice, determination and strength it takes to compete in this venue. The conclusion of the novel was excellent. The author made several surprising plot and character choices which kept me reading.
This is the first book by Kari Lynn Dell that I have read. I bought book one in this series based on the authors relatable characters, strong storyline and descriptive writing style and I can’t wait to read it!
1,357 reviews32 followers
April 3, 2018
What a wonderful feeling to discover an author who charms you with her exquisite writing, her outstanding storytelling abilities, and utterly unforgettable characters!

Melanie Brookman and Wyatt Darrington had last met five years ago while attending a wedding. The air surrounding them crackles with their attraction, and what might have happened if Wyatt had let them, if he didn’t live in Oregon, she in Texas, if it weren’t for her brother Hank … Melanie was a champion roper who drifted into a marketing career, and doing right by her brother Hank has defined the paths she has chosen all her life. She is fierce, driven, and when her legendary temper gets the best of her, Wyatt offers her a temporary job in exchange for providing her with answers as to Hank’s whereabouts.

Wyatt is a fabulous hero: he is pushing forty, a golden boy who has succeeded at almost everything he does, except his personal life, and his backstory was unlike any I have read before. He exudes charm, yet he is a man of few words who has a tendency to retreat into himself when cornered. He is burdened by secrets, and stuck in all sorts of convoluted relationships. Melanie must have been a very difficult heroine to write; a touch more and she would have been unpleasant, but Ms. Dell’s mastery made it so that she wasn’t. Melanie is incredibly real, flawed, and ever so relatable with her short fuse and sharp tongue; she is also somewhat older than we are used to: she is thirty four.

What amazed me almost immediately was the exceptional quality of the writing: Ms. Dell’s uniquely descriptive voice bring every setting into sharp focus: I could see that blue sky, the chill in the air, the rodeo life, the animals, images crystal-clear in my mind. The dialogues seem to originate naturally from the characters themselves, seemingly without any outside intervention. Every word was perfect, every sentence enchanting, every paragraph riveting; the whole narrative infused with intelligence and genuine emotion. FEARLESS IN TEXAS is as intricately crafted as the best murder mystery, with a plot twist towards the end I never expected. It was a very daring move from the author, whom I applaud for this realistic turn of event. FEARLESS IN TEXAS is such relief from the banality of most contemporary romances these days. Although it is book four in the Texas Rodeo series, as you can see, it stands perfectly on its own, but when I think at what I missed prior to FEARLESS IN TEXAS, I could just cry! And to say that I cannot wait for the next book in this series would be a major understatement, because it will be epic!

Profile Image for Char (1RadReader59).
2,074 reviews9 followers
April 4, 2018
This was a story of friendship, family, and love. But with a host of errors and secrets to keep you on your toes. We have Melanie Brookman the daughter of world famous and most respected tie-down roper and horseman, on the professional circuit, Johnny Brookman.
As an infant all the way through her young adult life she lived the horse woman’s life. Then working for Jacobs Livestock. Before moving on to college to become a marketing for the good old boy network. Who thought they could treat her like a second-class citizen. Not only working her more hours but giving her their work then taking the credit.
The final straw coming when she knew she was giving up all her precious time and once again having to cancel dinner plans amongst other things to stay to work. But when her boss pawned her off on a client. When after several meetings being single adults they start seeing each other she finds her boss holding it over her head, her so-called affair with him.
You see he was married. He boss knew it and arranged the setup and never tells her he knew Michael Miller’s wife. Being who she is she gets even causing trouble for herself. But when all her friends come into play they even her play the field on her behalf even though she’s out of there on a grand exit plan.
She is offered a job by the most unlikely person she could ever think of. But everyone agrees it will be good for her to leave home for a while. Since this is a consulting job to help Wyatt with Darrington’s the World famous pro bullfighter’s new bar. Who has become a part of the Brat pack like she has?
You see they’re part of the Brat Pack ~ The Brookman siblings (Melanie & Hank), The Sanchez brothers (Gil & Delon), The Jacobs sisters (Violet & Shawnee), and their cousin Cole-dragging in Wyatt with him (Joe’s BFF). I give this: 5 ++++ stars. Provided by netgalley.com. Follow us at www.1rad-readerreviews.com.
Profile Image for Jen.
1,220 reviews
May 3, 2019
I think I enjoyed this one a lot more than I expected. I'm not big on the secret baby trope and even though the baby wasn't theirs, it still puts a damper on things. Regardless, I still think this was one of the stronger books in the series, mostly because of Wyatt.

Wyatt is a rich white man who left high society life in favor of becoming a bull fighter. That's not to say that he doesn't still take advantage of having money though - I mean he owns his own plane. But underneath all that, we learn that Wyatt is a deeply caring guy. He's willing to sacrifice his own happiness to help others and it's honestly quite sad to see that he gave up on something with Melanie to protect others. Yes, he was stupid at times, but he really did have a huge heart and only wanted the best for those in his life. I was amazed at all he did to help his friends that went unnoticed. He really was keen on self-sacrifice it seems.

Melanie is smart, sassy, talented, and a bit stubborn. I mean you have to admire the lady and the way she went after Michael - it was quite hilarious, even if risky. And her marketing sense and reinventing the old brothel, genius. But she wasn't always the nicest person and came off mean at times. At least she figures out that she doesn't have the best personality and comes off as harsh and uncaring, but that only came about because her friends called her out on it.

If you ignore their personality flaws (because we all have them), the story really was a good one. It's a great story about loyalty, family, friends, second-chances and letting go.

Side note: The title makes absolutely no sense for this book as 95% of it takes place in Oregon, not Texas.
Profile Image for Ruthie Taylor.
3,500 reviews37 followers
August 15, 2018
~~I received a free copy of this book to read and review for Wicked Reads ~~

This is the fourth book in the series - and I have to admit the first that I have read. I did not feel the lack of the previous books, but I am also sure that I would have understood some of the other relationships better if I had. I may also have known Wyatt and Melanie's natures sooner. I have added them to my tbr pile, so that I can catch up.

The suspense or twist in this book is all based around one event, which has lasting ramifications. It is a while until we find out what it is, and also why it is such a big issue. I love how Mel reacts and how she rationalises everything. As we get to know more about Mel and Wyatt, we can see how suited to each other they could be. As they allow themselves to enjoy each other physically, but continue to hold back on their feelings, it is incredibly frustrating - but Ms Dell ensures we know just how they both really feel!

There are some great insights into the world of rodeo, and unusually from a female competitor's viewpoint at times. The school and training regime are also a good at bringing the world that these two live in to explain what is important to them. And the bordello bar is an inspired way of getting the two of them to spend more time together.

I will definitely be looking out for more in this series.

Wicked Reads Review Team
Profile Image for Miekenstein .
317 reviews5 followers
April 21, 2018
Fearless in Texas is just as good a book as the first three in the Texas Rodeo series. This is Wyatt and Melanie's story and it was a fun one to read.

This book can be read without reading the other books in the series but I think it is better if you have read the first three.

In the past books I didn't dislike Wyatt, but I found him a little bit off putting. He is someone who seemed to think he always knew best and he didn't care if you disagreed with him, he'd just manipulate the situation until it turned out the way he wanted it. In this book, he is much more likable. He is not really someone who sees himself as infallible in his judgement, as much as someone who cares deeply for the people around him and is unable to stop himself from trying to help if he can.

Melanie is likable from the past books and is very likable in this book too. She is someone who has worked hard for her success and keeps driving herself, even when she is unsure that it is all worth it in the end. She has spirit and cares deeply for her family and friends as well.

I enjoyed the relationship development between the characters and I loved the secondary characters as well. I'm really looking forward to the next book in the series.

I would recommend this book to anyone who enjoys romance.

I received an ARC in exchange for an honest review.
Profile Image for Veda.
340 reviews2 followers
August 2, 2018
I carried this book around for several months before reading it, because I hadn't read the previous book, and I knew I had to read them in order. When I finally was able to read this book, I wasn't disappointed, once again I was drawn into rodeo life. I was there, I could see the pain, love, and smell the smells of rodeo. Only a person with a passion for rodeo, can make you feel that way, and Kari Lynn Dell didn't disappoint me. I was drawn into this story and was upset that I couldn't read until I was done. I learned not to start an awesome book when you are moving from one state to another. I kept wondering what my new friends were doing, and if they were okay.
I can't wait to read the next book.

Profile Image for Laura.
2,218 reviews106 followers
December 13, 2018
***ARC Provided by the Publisher via NetGalley***

DNF at 18%

Angry and empowered is one thing. Destructive and vindictive is another. Unfortunately, while I wanted to connect with this story, I struggled with the beginning of the story, and I thought it was too focused on Melanie and the man she was, unknowingly, having an affair with.

I get it, she was scorned...but when I find myself feeling more sorry for everyone who has to deal with her, and the results of her actions, than I did with her...it was time to put this one down.
Profile Image for Daphne.
140 reviews5 followers
August 23, 2020
I have really enjoyed this series. I was disappointed with this book because it just didn't work for me. Wyatt was just not a believable character.

When I talked it over with a friend I started giving it the side eye. The secondary mess between Hank and Grace is the biggest problem.

I mean you cannot be reimbursed for adoptions. It's illegal. It's selling your baby. I thought, "maybe I'm remembering it wrong. Did I read it right?" (I rechecked it out from the library to see)

“You act like I’m a saint, and I’m not.” Grace bowed her head and laced her fingers together. “They paid me. Enough to cover all of my student loans and put something aside.”

I remembered it because Melanie's reaction was, "good for you."

Like I said this book initially was just a miss and I remembered the adoption thing being weird but when I talked to my friend I thought, "that's problematic."
This entire review has been hidden because of spoilers.
1,328 reviews8 followers
February 3, 2018
I can't help but be Melanie's champion. It seems that everyone thinks that she shouldn't have deep feelings and show them. She would probably explode if she kept them in. It is true what they say about true friends, her's stuck by her when it got tough. Wyatt is trying to be one of those friends, Melanie doesn't make it easy for him. It was a long process getting from enemies to lovers for them.
Profile Image for Christa Schönmann Abbühl.
871 reviews17 followers
July 6, 2020
I give this one a slightly lower rating than the others as it was less custom made for me personally. I did want to know more about Wyatt, and Melanie certainly was a great match for him. There was very little rodeo, less family and the secret that kept them apart was super complicated. They both are very complex people, and while the author did a great job making me understand them, they were a bit much for me. They both are experts at reading people and use it to manipulate others, generally for „good“ purposes, but I like my heroes more straightforward. I was deeply touched by Wyatt‘s hunger for belonging, and his steadfastness in love and friendship. Melanie‘s struggles are very real, too, and I enjoyed how she figured out what she wanted from life. I loved how she came through for Wyatt at the end. I was also very much into the project with the bar, and watching Melanie doing her magic was great.
This entire review has been hidden because of spoilers.
1,193 reviews28 followers
June 9, 2018
From the moment I started reading the advance reader copy of this title that I'd requested, I was totally at sea, and remained that way for the most of the novel. I'd obviously missed the notation at the end of the blurb that this novel was the fourth in a series, and because of that, for most of the novel, I had no idea what was going one or why. My issues all started Melanie, the heroine, who finds out too late that she's in an affair with a married man, and that her boss knew all about it, set her up, and said nothing. I was in her corner until she pulled the idiotic and spiteful stunt that cost her her hard-earned career. I didn't understand her previous willingness to be trod upon by her smarmy boss, and once she'd tanked her job and fled to the ranch with Wyatt, I was utterly clueless about what the familial relationships were among the entire cast of characters.

When I next encountered the mysterious animosity/attraction between Melanie and Wyatt, one that had been going on for years, I didn't understand that either, nor did I understand the reasons why Wyatt attached himself to this particular family like grim death. Add to that the secrets, the lies, the spite, the bitchy low blows, and the love/hate relationship between the Melanie and Wyatt, the two main characters, who have been clearly attracted to one another for years but have left that attraction on the back burner, the reasons for which may have been mentioned in previous novels in this series, which I'd not read. Also there are the issues with Melanie's missing brother, Hank, not to mention the secret child who shows up more than halfway through the novel, or the fact that this novel takes place in Oregon, not Texas as the title suggests, and the fact that we learn that Wyatt is a bullfighter, not a cowboy, as pictured on the cover, and I found myself desperately wanting to close my Kindle and walk away, but I stuck it out to the end, and because of all the aforementioned issues, I still could not give this confusing and slow moving novel more than a 2.5-star rating.

While I'll admit that some of my issues stem from not realizing I was entering a series nearly at its end, I also had problems with the cover photo (again, Wyatt isn't a cowboy and can't even ride a horse using a Western saddle), and while I liked Wyatt and admired his commitment to helping others, I really had zero patience for Melanie. I found her behavior childish, her personality irritating and downright bitchy, and, aside from her looks, I simply couldn't understand what Wyatt found to like about her.

While this novel isn't badly written, it desperately needed a prologue or at least a "family" tree for the uninitiated newcomers to this series, because trying to figure out who was who, what their relationships were, and how Wyatt even latched onto his family took way too much time and energy, and by the time I figured it out, I simply no longer cared. If you're new to this series, I strongly suggest that you start at the beginning, or you may end up as lost and frustrated by his novel as I was.

As stated, I voluntarily read an advance reader copy of this novel. The opinions expressed are my own.
Profile Image for Marsha Keeper Bookshelf.
4,241 reviews69 followers
Reviewed at Keeper Bookshelf

Wyatt and Melanie have been on the edges of the Texas Rodeo series for some time now, Wyatt from the start. Finally, in Fearless in Texas we get their complete story and yeah, it’s complicated. Wyatt is a quiet man, a man more likely to be on the fringe of things not pushing his way to the front, a man of secrets and, at times, a keeper of others’ secrets as well. Melanie is hot tempered and not afraid to speak her mind – which often and currently has gotten her into some very hot water. While Wyatt has been attracted to Melanie for years but kept his distance and silence, Melanie is slower to get to that point but when she does she is a power to contend with.

There are unexpected twists and turns in Fearless in Texas. Some that I suspected, others that came out of left field for me. But that’s okay, life is never easy and smooth it’s usually more like a lake with the wind whipping up choppy waters. There are answers to questions in Wyatt and Melanie’s story but since there is another story to come around Christmas time – I’m hoping that we still have some surprises in store for us. I liked this couple and it was fun to run into other old friends as well. I suppose you “could” read Fearless in Texas on its own, but there are a few threads woven throughout the series that I believe makes this a more enjoyable, complete reading experience if you’ve read from the start… but that’s my opinion. I would easily recommend this story and the entire series to any Contemporary Romance reader who enjoys a tight plot, a look into the behind the scenes of the rodeo world, interesting characters and just some really good stories. Kari Lynn Dell just keeps getting better with each book, I cannot wait to see where she takes us next.

*I received an e-ARC of this novel from the publisher via NetGalley. That does not change what I think of this story. It is my choice to leave a review giving my personal opinion about this book.*
Profile Image for 2shay.
134 reviews1 follower
February 25, 2018
By now, everyone knows that Keri Lynn Dell’s Texas Rodeo series is one of my all-time favorites. This was my favorite series of 2017. How do I go up from there? Do I even need to? Is this book actually better than the previous three? Yes. It is. Not because the previous books weren’t all 5 Star dream reads, but because of a kind of...hummm...maturity, I guess. Ms. Dell is progressing from being a really good writer and storyteller into something more...capturing and portraying emotional longing at a deeper level. Wyatt Darrington swept me right off my feet.

As Violet’s friend, I hadn’t given Melanie more than a passing thought in the previous books. She just didn’t jump out of the pages for me. Wyatt, on the other hand, was my favorite secondary character from book one! Not only is he Joe’s best friend and bullfighting partner, he has always been a good and helpful man to everyone who needs help. I adored him, so I was particularly excited when I got a whole book featuring him.

I was a little surprised about the deep connection between Wyatt and Melanie. Melanie carries a lot of baggage, and even more at the beginning of this story. Sheesh. Her life is a total mess and she just continues to make things worse. I wanted to shake her by the scruff of her neck. Then, in steps Wyatt to save the day. He’s so sweet! Have I mentioned that I adore Wyatt? A few times. Okay, then. It turns out that Wyatt had a big crush on Melanie for years. Sigh. There goes my man. Dang.

If you have read the first three books in this series, you won’t need a lot of convincing to jump right in for this new edition. If you haven’t, you should go to the beginning and read this series straight through. Pick up your copies now, and...

Enjoy!

ARC graciously provided by Sourcebook and NetGalley for an honest and voluntary review.

2shay
Profile Image for WycEd Reader.
2,064 reviews30 followers
April 7, 2018
Check out our Fearless in Texas post on Wicked Reads.

Reviews by the Wicked Reads Review Team

Ruthie – ☆☆☆☆
This is the fourth book in the series – and I have to admit the first that I have read. I did not feel the lack of the previous books, but I am also sure that I would have understood some of the other relationships better if I had. I may also have known Wyatt and Melanie's natures sooner. I have added them to my to-be-read pile, so that I can catch up.

The suspense or twist in this book is all based around one event, which has lasting ramifications. It is a while until we find out what it is, and also why it is such a big issue. I love how Mel reacts and how she rationalises everything. As we get to know more about Mel and Wyatt, we can see how suited to each other they could be. As they allow themselves to enjoy each other physically, but continue to hold back on their feelings, it is incredibly frustrating – but Ms. Dell ensures we know just how they both really feel!

I will definitely be looking out for more in this series.

Reviewers received a free copy of this book to read and review for Wicked Reads.

Wicked Reads Review Team
Profile Image for BookAddict.
1,442 reviews94 followers
April 6, 2018
It’s always great fun to dig into a cowboy rodeo romance, and Keri Lynn Dell writes some of the best. Add to that the phenomenal editing and practically perfect finished product from Sourcebook Casablanca, and this book is a delight to read in every aspect. I've been a fan of this author since I read the first book in this series, so I was excited to get an advance copy of this one to read. It was great to catch up with familiar characters from the previous books and finally read Melanie and Wyatt’s story.

After leaving her PR/marketing job with a bang, Melanie still needs to make money while she decides what to do next. She and Wyatt have had sizzling chemistry since day one, but neither have acted on it in order to avoid complications with their mutual friends should things not work out. When Wyatt offers her a job promoting the bar he purchased and giving it a makeover, Melanie fully intends to keep things professional. She’s probably better off that way, because if she ever learns the secret he’s keeping, it’s an easy bet that she’ll never forgive him.

This was such a phenomenal read! From the well-meaning, interfering friends, to the charming, quirky small-town characters, and Wyatt and Melanie trying to pretend that they hadn’t been in love with each other for the past five years, every step of their journey was endearing and entertaining. Wyatt and Melanie were very realistic, each with their own flaws, and they worked to improve themselves while still helping each other. I loved every part of their story and wholeheartedly recommend this book as well as the others in the series!

*I reviewed this book freely and voluntarily, having made no commitment to provide a review and receiving no compensation of any kind from any source for this review.
Profile Image for Romancing the Book.
4,420 reviews210 followers
October 28, 2018
Reviewed by Jen
Book provided by Netgalley
Review originally posted at Romancing the Book

When I saw that this book was going on tour, I knew I had to get on board. I’d read and enjoyed the first two books in the series. I went into this book thinking it was book three…. oops! A couple chapters in, something was mentioned and I suddenly realized I was missing something. This is book four in the series. It does stand alone, but there will be these random moments where you’ll want more information that can be found in the prior books.

Wyatt has been a secondary character in this series since book one. I know that I was intrigued and want to know more about Wyatt. He’s been shrouded in mystery and I couldn’t wait for him to finally get his story and find love. And enter Melanie. I’ll admit, that if she was in the prior books (that I’ve read), I didn’t remember her. But this book starts with a prologue that is pretty much Wyatt and Melanie’s meeting at a wedding of mutual friends and sparks are flying. But because of those mutual friends, they decide not to act on those sparks. Fast forward a couple years, and they’re thrown together.

Both Wyatt and Melanie are headstrong and therefore they dance around each other. It was quite the interesting dance. Both also had some major issues they had to overcome in order to allow themselves to have their happily ever after. Ms Dell took me on a roller coaster ride filled with laughter and even a couple tears.

I have to go back to read book three, but for a contemporary western romance series, this one has been added to my auto-buy list. Fearless in Texas is a great read and I definitely recommend it to western romance fans… especially if you’d like a slightly different look at the rodeo.
Profile Image for Suzie Weber.
692 reviews1 follower
April 21, 2022
Fearless in Texas (even thought eighty percent of this book takes place in Oregon) is the fourth in the Texas Rodeo series. Melanie, born and raised in Texas, came from a rodeo and ranching family. She has a baby brother Hank who was unexpected and slightly ignored or a disappointment. From an early age Melanie felt she needed to be a second mother. We have witnessed Hank’s screw ups in previous books. Hank has disappeared and Melanie made a bad mistake at work. I couldn’t help but sing Carrie Underwood’s Cheatin’ song about that poor old pick up truck.

Wyatt, comes from back East money and power. A life he wants nothing of. He has also had a thing, quietly about Melanie for five years. They are oil and water that has not been mixed properly. To get Melanie out of Texas, Wyatt who purchased a bar wants her help to redesign it. Hank has been found and wants nothing to do with Melanie and hates Wyatt.

All of Wyatt’s secrets come out in this book and there are several of them. Half way through I thought I should have paper keeping notes. He is like a Guardian Angel to everyone. Already I know this is a book I will reread because some things are a little fuzzy. I re-read the last four chapters just trying to straighten things in my head. We are left with a happy ending with little strands of a book to come.

I have enjoyed this series.
269 reviews2 followers
June 1, 2021
Review now that I read all the books but the first one in the series...

I started with Tangled in Texas, the second book because the review for Kari Lynn Dell's books I'd read singled out this one and Tougher in Texas as the reviewer's favourites. I figured I'd start here.

Next thing you know, I was several books deep and having a hard time thinking of anything else.

Fearless in Texas didn't quite stick so closely to the other books but it was still very good. It felt more like a traditional romance novel than the other books where the romance could have almost been a side plot.

You know how some authors will write a giant paragraph to describe a single gun and a quick fight scene stretches three pages? This, but for horses, rodeo and ranching. All of it was fascinating.

The books have diverse characters and touched lightly on indigenous identity, racism, sexism, addiction, living with autism and more... They started good and kept getting better as the series progressed and we got to learn all sort of things from how rodeo competitors train for different events, some of the work that goes behind producing rodeos, there's even the training of ranch dogs thrown in there.

So yeah, I got really invested in the characters and in their world.
Displaying 1 - 30 of 55 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.