Start by marking “A Normal Pig” as Want to Read:
A Normal Pig

A Normal Pig

A picture book about a spotted pig in a class full of pink pigs who learns to accept her differences.

Pip is a normal pig who does normal stuff: cooking, painting, and dreaming of what she’ll be when she grows up.

But one day a new pig comes to school and starts pointing out all the ways in which Pip is different. Suddenly she doesn’t like any of the same things she used to
Published June 4th 2019 by Balzer + Bray

Start your review of A Normal Pig
Ms Threlkeld
Jan 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
A fun look at what it can feel like to be an outsider and how to embrace that which makes you stand out.
KDV
Aug 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Aw, I love this. I like the reminder that there's a big world beyond the bubbles we live in, with all sorts of different people (and pigs). And in the meantime, if you're stuck in school (or at work or wherever), this book also has some good ideas for dealing with your detractors. Truly, it is the year of the pig.
Jeimy
Aug 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Pip looks different than her peers, but it is not until a new student points it out that she realize it. Thankfully her parents know just what to do to make her feel better.
Villain E
Aug 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
A good story of about how a child can get insecure about something just because somebody else is making fun of them for it. In this case one pig teases another pig about her lunch. (What's weird about her lunch, I don't know.)
Peacegal
Jul 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
4.5 stars -- I adored A NORMAL PIG. The pig in this story thinks of herself as normal. She looks a little different than the other pigs in the class. She enjoys food that's a little bit different, too. But this doesn't bug her until a classmate calls this out and she is thrown into a bit of a crisis--is she "normal?"

This sweet story explores a common concern for both kids and adults--feeling singled out--as well as the pressure to conform that is so prevalent even in the earliest grades. This
Amanda
Jul 12, 2019 rated it liked it
(POC here stands for "pig of color"...hahahaha)

The MC is a cutie-patootie, though I found the message to be a bit heavy-handed and pedantic. I wish that it was handled a bit more gently.
Syntha Green
A great story about tolerance and being yourself
Michele Knott
I am so grateful that Rebecca from Harper Collins made sure I get a copy of this book at ALA. Chad Everett talked about the word diverse and when we use it, what are we centering as the norm? That was a huge a-ha for me, but it's hard to tell really young readers what that means. This book will help explain that concept to them.
Kelly
Jun 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
the pig art in this is everything to me?? I could look at these pigs for hours.
Aliza Werner
A story of identity, what it means to be “normal”, interracial families, standing up to bullies, not letting others define you, and what it feels to be labeled and othered.
Tasha
Aug 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
Pip is a pig who loves to make art, cook with her family and dream about what she is going to be when she grows up. But then one day, a new kid at school teases her about the lunch she brought saying that it stinks. The new pig also doesn’t like Pip’s art projects either. They even ask if her mother is her babysitter, since they aren’t the same color. Pip is furious when she goes home and she demands that they make her a normal lunch. Instead, they travel as a family into the city to explore a ...more
Rachel
Sep 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
I loved this one! Pip is a "normal" pig who does normal things - at least, she thinks that she's normal until a classmate makes fun of her lunch. Suddenly, she feels vulnerable, exposed and weird. She begins to reject the ways that her family is different from the other pigs in her class, and so Pip's mom decides to bring her to the city to get some perspective. There, Pip sees pigs of every variety and realizes that its okay (awesome, even!) to be different. A happy ending is in the cards for ...more
The Library Lady
Sep 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
This book has a clear message, but it's so well told that you don't develop "Berenstain Bearitis" reading it. And it's a message simple enough for any kid to get:"Maybe it's weird for you, but not for me."
(Or, as my then 6 year old told her best friend, "Different families do things different ways."

Combine this with some lovely funny pictures, and you have a winner.
Arminzerella
Chris
Jul 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
In school, the last thing a child wants is to be different. “A Normal Pig,” by K-Fai Steele, tackles this issue with humor and clever cartoons, as it introduces young readers to a porker with a problem.
Meet Pip, a spotted pig among solid pink piggys. Pip was normal—“She liked art and cooking with her family, and thinking about what she wanted to be when she grew up.” Yet at school, her spots stood out, as well as her lunch.
Pip brought food from home that was unusual. Once her porcine classmates
Denise Menger
Aug 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The biracial experience, identity, appreciating yourself
Meredith
Sep 04, 2019 rated it liked it
Pip thinks of herself as a normal pig until the new kid in her class points out how she is different.

This is a very clever, complex, and subtle book. On one level, it is the story of someone happily marching along to the beat of her own drum when someone else decides to rain on her parade. It's a classic case of someone tearing down another person in order to make her/himself feel big. The story addresses the issue of bullying, how it makes someone feel, how to respond, and what motivates the
Jana
It's easy to let other people's opinions influence the way we feel about ourselves and how self-confident we are. Pip, the pig in this lovely picture book, is a happy little pig at school, participating in art, recesss, and lunch with no problem. Until someone new comes along and starts pointing out how different her lunch is from everyone else's, criticizing her artwork, and making her feel embarrassed about her family. Obviously this is very upsetting to Pip, who feels like she's not good ...more
Sarah Corrieri
Pip is an energetic pig who loves food and to cook and her family. A new pig starts at her school and starts to tease Pip about the things she likes. She decides she doesn't want to like those things anymore. She comes to learn those things she likes are different from other people but that is what makes her unique and Pip. Everyone is different and it would be boring if were all the same and all liked the same things.

Great book and lesson for students on differences, tolerance, self-pride and
Jess
Sep 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
August 2019 - between this one and Noodlephant, I'm definitely looking out for Steele's future books! This one is a bit more cartoony in style, which again balances out the themes of what it means to be different, and what it means to live in a place where everyone else looks the same. It's a quick read, but Ben chose it again and again - he never explicitly made any comments identifying with Pip or feeling different than his classmates, but I can't help but wonder if it was just something he ...more
Cheriee Weichel
Oct 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Oh wow! Pip, the pig considers herself normal until a bully moves in and makes her aware of her differences. When her parents find out they take her to the city. There Pip is exposed to many languages and all kinds of different looking people. Upon her return home, Pip has regained her confidence in being herself.
I'm a person with one foot in a small, predominantly white, town, and another in a vibrant multicultural city. This book seems to showcase both of these realities.
This book has so
Candice
Jul 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Awesome picture book about what it means to be normal with the cutest piggy illustrations. Pip is adorable and happy to be herself until a new kid calls her out on her differences--her lunch, her artwork, her mom.

My favorite line is, "Pip hadn't changed, but she started to feel different." How many of us as kids and adults have felt that?

Wonderful, positive ending. I appreciated the dialogue translations--so unique and cool to have all those different languages peppered into one spread.
Lynn
Jun 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What is normal and does it matter anyway? Children, of course, run face-first into this question, often in school and mostly in a negative context. Steele's treatment is charming, cheerful and wonderfully understated.

The illustrations are a delight! My favorite may be the 2-page spread at an art museum but all the pages are packed with funny details.

Steele handles a tricky tough subject with a light but very deft touch that is as reassuring as it is practical. Kids get a wonderful easy response
Pam
Sep 19, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
Pig sees herself as a normal pig until a new classmate points out her differences. She realizes that she's the only spotted pig and sees other differences as well (lunch, etc.) It knocks her self-confidence until she realizes she's amazing as she is. She stands up for herself and invites others to join her. The rest of the class discovers differences don't really matter.
Use for celebrating differences and compare/contrast.
Erin Buhr
Oct 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019-books
Have you ever been that kid at the lunch table with the "weird" food. I definitely had those moments a few times as a kid and I felt for Pip - the heroine of this tale. This is a charming story about Pip, a normal pig. It's about being okay with who we are and understanding that there is no "normal." Well told and full of adorable piggy illustrations, this is a great one to include for an "All About Me" story time or unit about differences.
Sara
I love how this picturebook addresses microaggressions (food shaming, name calling, subtle but very overt bullying based on perceived difference). I saw a great piece written by K-Fai Steele about her own similar experiences when she was a child. It’s a powerful book that would be a great addition to any classroom shelf.

Part of my new office book haul purchased from a local indie bookshop in Arcata!
Robin
Jul 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Supercute picture book with a spine of steel. Pip the pig gets picked on by classmates (her lunch smells funny, they think her mom is her babysitter because of what color she is) and starts to feel different. A trip to the more diverse city gives her perspective and confidence, she stands up for herself when she returns to school and starts to feel normal again. Highly recommended for ages 4-6, great discussion starter.
Rebecca Ann
I love the illustrations in this book, and the story would be useful to explain bullying and how to move past it with younger children. It also addresses how it feels to be unique in a group that is mostly the same, and how sometimes you just need more context. The story was good but it was missing a little humor for me.
Monique Fields
Jun 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A Normal Pig is a story about differences. It looks at a common issue among children. They feel just fine until someone, in this case another pig, comes along and says she is different. This little book shows how a parent opens a child's eyes to a much larger world. We all have our differences, and that's perfectly okay. Pip, ultimately, embraces her differences as just a part of who she is.
Jenna Grodzicki
Sep 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is the story of Pip, a pig who has always felt normal. But when a new pig at school ridicules her lunch, Pip starts to think that maybe she's not normal at all. A trip to the city with her family helps Pip see that "normal" is a matter of perception. This book is an important read for all children. A must-have for any classroom, library, or personal collection.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Bear Came Along
  • Who Wet My Pants?
  • Once Upon a Goat
  • Saturday
  • Not Quite Snow White
  • The King of Kindergarten
  • Goodbye, Friend! Hello, Friend!
  • Truman
  • Amy Wu and the Perfect Bao
  • How Do You Dance?
  • Where Are You From?
  • My Papi Has a Motorcycle
Hi! My name is K-Fai Steele and I write and draw picture books.

A Normal Pig my debut author-illustrator book comes out in June 2019 with Balzer + Bray/HarperCollins. Noodlephant by Jacob Kramer and illustrated by me is coming out in February 2019 with Enchanted Lion. Old MacDonald Had a Baby by Emily Snape comes out in fall 2019 with Feiwel & Friends/Macmillan.

I live in San Francisco and I’m