Start by marking “The Other Side of the Bridge” as Want to Read:
The Other Side of the Bridge

The Other Side of the Bridge

Two coasts. Two strangers.
And a bridge that silently beckons them both.

Katie Connelly has lived in San Francisco all her life. Her late father made his career on the Golden Gate Bridge, and the many stories of how he saved jumpers still haunt her. And now her job assignment is to write about the history of the bridge—a history that includes a secret journal about a promis
Published March 6th 2018 by Shadow Mountain

To ask other readers questions about The Other Side of the Bridge, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Other Side of the Bridge

Julie Carpenter
A bridge.
Two strangers.
Lives lost.
Irrevocably damaged and changed.
A journal.
Changing course.
The Past.
The Present.
The Future.

Those words might not mean much but they very quickly sum up this book. Although this isn't a book to be quickly summed up. It took me a week to listen to it because I had family in town visiting. I enjoyed every moment with them and didn't turn on the story at all. But it was inside my mind, swirling and c
Aimee (Getting Your Read On)
Mar 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
3.5. rounding up

I was really looking forward to reading this book. The cover alone would make me pick up this book because I LOVE the Golden Gate Bridge. It is beautiful and because I grew up not too far from it, it speaks of home to me.

One thing I loved about this book was the bits of history it gave me about the bridge. It made me want to go find a book about the Golden Gate and read it myself. I love when books inspire me to know more about something or someone.

This book is basically two diff
Sheila
Mar 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing

Reading The Other Side of the Bridge is more than just reading a book, it's an experience. Readers are quickly immersed into the lives of two different people, Dave Riley from New York City and Katie Connelly from San Francisco. I enjoyed how the story was told from the two different POV's and it was intriguing how the author slowly wove together their two paths.

Dave at the beginning is happy and successful in his life, but experiencing the often mid-life crisis that people go through in their
Jamille Parks
Feb 20, 2018 rated it did not like it
Amy
Jul 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
After reading Rent Collector and Orphan Keeper, I really was excited to read more by this author. I entered a drawing for this book, and received a free copy! This is my favorite book by Cameron Wright that I’ve read. The stories are very touching how they weave together. I love the element of those that have gone on before us that is used throughout the book. I thought I could predict the ending, but I couldn’t. And the author’s ending is much better than the one I predicted!

Another reason thi
Mindy
Apr 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The Other Side of the Bridge is another beautifully written story by Camron Wright. I loved how this book was written. The author did a brilliant job of leaving the end of a chapter by hooking me to read more and more. I enjoyed the alternating stories of Dave and Katie. Katie was researching the bridge that was maintained by her father until his death. And Dave, having to cope with the death of his family and how he is drawn to the bridge. I loved the connection of their stories at the end and ...more
Kathy
Mar 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2018
content: a little mild language
Traci Brown
Nov 27, 2018 rated it liked it
I think I would've liked this book more if I had read it rather than listened to the audio version. It was a thought provoking story, and I did enjoy it overall. It made me want to go to San Francisco. 😀 It's always interesting when there's some history included in a novel.
Toni
Jun 12, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book included two different stories. One was about a girl who was asked by a professor to do research on the Golden Gate Bridge. She comes across a journal her dad had found back when he worked on the bridge. The other story belongs to Dave Riley (a man who lost his wife and kids in a car accident,) and discusses how he copes with the loss. And how he once again finds love. I enjoy this author. Although, I think I prefer some of his other books more.
Leslie aka StoreyBook Reviews
This is the story of two individuals with ties to the Golden Gate bridge's construction via family members. It is told from two different viewpoints which was a smidge confusing to me at first, but it did not take long to get into the swing of the characters and their lives.

Kate intrigued me and I found her passion for research interesting. Of course, at one point it becomes an obsession for her when trying to find Patrick O'Riley after discovering his journal in her father's study.

Dave Riley se
Susan K
Clean read, mild language
Beautifully detailed grief, mourning, and healing along with the search for a mystery and healing for someone else grieving the loss of a father. The stories intertwine, and the intertwined part, while brief, is poignant and lovely.
This is a dream ride of a read, literally. Hurting, healing, reaching, wanting, muddling through it all, and digging for an answer for two sets of problems. Little bit of romance, but not the main part of the story.
Loved this read, and will al
alisonwonderland
The Other Side of the Bridge is the first 2019 pick for my sisters reading group. The last three or four chapters made this a four-star read for me. I find a great deal of meaning in the metaphor of the bridge.
Angie
Apr 05, 2018 rated it liked it
I was hoping for more from this author, after I had enjoyed The Orphan Keeper so much. The story is just quite implausible. I didn’t feel like the male character, Dave, was believable in many of his choices, especially regarding his time in Colorado. That part had me rolling my eyes a few tines. The story didn’t develop very deeply, as Dave had many thoughts from his past but they were all only ever from the week or so lived at the beginning of the book. For example, his wife only ever called hi ...more
Julie
Mar 26, 2018 rated it liked it
A lovely read. Nothing riveting . Everything works out as it's meant to work out . No red herrings . No untidy endings . It's meant to make you think about your hopes and dreams and are you happy with your life. I can't say it actually did , but can't think of anything bad to say about it either! Just a pleasant read...
Michelle Llewellyn
Jul 29, 2018 rated it it was ok
I enjoyed The Rent Collector
I enjoyed The Orphan Keeper even more
This author's newest whimsical tale about two unremarkable characters and one remarkable bridge? Not so much.
The two characters are the very single Katie who lives in San Francisco and the very happily married Dave in New Jersey. The red herring is: how are these two characters going to inevitably meet, fall in love while still maintaining a clean read and live happily ever after under the long shadow of the Golden Gate Bridge?
Don'
Karen Nelson
Nov 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: pre-pub-books
#TheOtherSideOfTheBridge #NetGalley

A wonderful read with tones of love, loss, and life's purpose with the backstory of the history of the Golden Gate Bridge. The book’s two characters both dealt with grief and loss, with only the bridge in common.

The book was well written and brought in both characters, who were joined by a single person. Kate, a researcher, found herself looking for the author of a journal who documented the building of the Golden Gate Bridge. Patrick, having experienced a gre
Nancy
Jun 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018-challenge
My favorite quote from the book is “Baseball is symmetry and grace and beauty and power, all woven into a single fabric. Simply put, Doctor, it’s a perfect game.”

And you thought the book was about the Golden Gate Bridge. 😀
Becca
Mar 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
When the opportunity came up to review one of Camron Wright's books I jumped at it. His book "The Rent Collector" is one of my favorites, so I knew I was getting a good book.

This story was so complex, and beautiful. I have to admit I had read some reviews that made me wonder if I would love it as much as I did his other books, lets just say, everyone has their own opinion, and I loved this book. It was so moving.

We follow two different stories in this book, that end up being intertwined, but not
Cathy
Mar 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: a-to-z-challenge
Wow, I've read some really great books lately! This is one of them. I loved everything about this book! Camron Wright is one of my very favorite authors. He has a way of making the characters in his books jump right off the page and seem so real.

This book starts with Katie. She's a bit of a mystery. From the first chapter, I wasn't quite sure what to think about her. You don't really have all of the pieces of who she is or why she's part of the story. But I liked it that way. I liked her inquis
Kathryn
May 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What an inspirational book! It started out slow, but once I found the flow it soared.

Many life lessons are learned and discovered as lives are lost, hearts are broken and betrayed, and two people from opposite sides of the states try to find understanding and hope for a new day and a new start.

“ I think that’s what life must be about- helping others, leaving pieces of us with them, in return fitting borrowed pieces from them into our own voids, each person helping others along the way.” Katie
Wendy Jensen
May 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
It is hard not to compare one work by an author to another work by that same author but to do so would be to miss the beauty of this touching read. Loss is a part of life. Wright brings the emotion and struggle of loss realistically into his telling. The story is beautifully told as it moves forward in believable ways. Two souls with connection to the Golden Gate Bridge search for life meaning and purpose following painful tragedies that leave each heart broken.

I listened to the audible while pa
Kim  Dennis
May 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a hard book for me to review. I really enjoyed it. There were a couple of things I would have done differently, which is why the 4 stars instead of 5. There was one scene in particular, that I could more or less figure out why it was in there, but didn't really seem to fit and I felt like the same objective could have been achieved in a way that fit more with the story. However, I loved the lessons that were taught and the characters were really believable. Wright has a way with words th ...more
Djbozung
Feb 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was a well written book. I had never read any of Camron Wright's books. I definitely will plan on reading his previous books. I enjoyed the stories of the two separate characters and how they were eventually tied together in the end of the book. The stories of the characters caused me to ask myself how I would react and feel in their situations. I loved learning about the history of the Golden Gate Bridge. I enjoyed reading this book.
NaDell
Feb 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Book is out on March 6th. I get to read it early as a perk from my job working in a bookstore. Loving it so far!
Just finished the book. It was a little hard to get used to the two different voices of narration, especially since they didn't seem like they went together at all other than a connection with the Golden Gate Bridge. Just when I thought it seemed cliche and trite, it threw a major plot twist in that confused me again and sent me digging deeper into the book to try to solve the puzzle,
Carol Wendkos
May 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing

This is the story of two individuals with ties to the Golden Gate bridge's construction via family members. It is told from two different viewpoints and goes back and forth between the 2 main characters. There is a lot of history about the Golden Gate Bridge and I found it all to be very fascinating. Another Cameron Wright winner!
Kirstin Dobson
Dec 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
So I won the book "The Other Side of the Bridge" by Camron Wright in a Deseret Book Platinum Member drawing. I just wanted to tell you how wonderful that book is. I just finished it and it is one of the best books I've read (and I read all the time). Especially glad I won this book because I  wouldn't have read it otherwise-- I'd never heard of it before and I don't often read church fiction.
Susan
Mar 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I’ve read everything this author has written and this book was certainly not disappointing. A wonderful story about love, loss and new beginnings with some history about the Golden Gate Bridge.
Sara Lefils
Feb 08, 2019 rated it liked it
Story was slow to get started in my opinion. A heart-warming ending, but definitely my least favorite so far of Camron Wright. Hard to beat "The Rent Collector" and "The Orphan Keeper" which were two fantastic stories.
Michelle
Sep 07, 2018 rated it liked it
3.5 Good. . .but not terrific. The Rent Collector is an excellent story by this same author.
Erica
Dec 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
  • Miss Leslie's Secret
  • Perfect Set
  • Tripwire (Saint Squad #10)
  • The Gentleman's Deception
  • For Castle and Crown
  • Belonging to Heaven
  • Only the Brave: The Continuing Saga of the San Juan Pioneers
  • Courage to Be You: Inspiring Lessons from an Unexpected Journey
  • Fresh Courage Take (Come to Zion, #3)
  • Ashes on the Moor
  • The Fourth Nephite (Fourth Nephite, #1)
  • Willowkeep
  • Silent Sting
  • Promises and Primroses (Mayfield Family #1)
  • An Unseen Angel: A Mother's Story of Faith, Hope, and Healing after Sandy Hook
  • Legend of the Jewel (Isabelle Webb, #1)
Camron Wright was born and raised in Salt Lake City, Utah. He has a master’s degree in Writing and Public Relations from Westminster College.

He has owned several successful retail stores in addition to working with his wife in the fashion industry, designing for the McCall Pattern Company in New York.

Camron began writing to get out of attending MBA school at the time, and it proved the better deci
“Plan for the very worst, then pray for the very best. Savor the days when the sun shines, but have your raincoat and boots ready for the storms that will always blow in from the bay.” 0 likes
“Courageous men are not fearless men, but those who climb despite fear. Everyone has a bridge to climb. At the end of the day, fear and I shake hands and part knowing we'll meet again when we climb our bridge together.” 0 likes