Start by marking “Invisible Heroes of World War II: True Stories That Should Never Be Forgotten” as Want to Read:
Invisible Heroes of World War II: True Stories That Should Never Be Forgotten

Invisible Heroes of World War II: True Stories That Should Never Be Forgotten

This unique collection documents twelve fascinating and largely untold stories of minorities, women, and Native Americans who supported the Allied cause in World War II. Courageously serving as soldiers, spies, POWs, builders, medics, and movie stars, they fought for the cause of freedom and democracy against the combined threat of the Nazis and Axis powers.
Published May 1st 2019 by Shadow Mountain

To ask other readers questions about Invisible Heroes of World War II, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Invisible Heroes of World War II

Susan
May 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a slim book, but it speaks volumes about the incredible bravery, determination, and triumph of ordinary people in an extraordinary time. I knew about the Navajo Code Talkers and about the Rosie the Riveter contribution, but I hadn't heard any of the other stories in this book. They're both interesting and moving. I enjoyed this quick, but inspiring read.
Venky
Feb 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: bibliocase
In a poignant, penetrating and pertinent work, Jerry Borrowman pays wholesome tribute to some of the indomitable heroes of World War II, heroes whose exploits have either been recognized long after such an act was due or have been acknowledged much later than even the lifetimes of the valiant protagonists.

“Extraordinary Wartime Stories of Ordinary People” is a rousing paean to the will of the common man which rose beyond its own determination and packed punches well beyond its expected weight. T
Jade
Apr 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Invisible Heroes of World War II is a collection of unique stories of WW2 heroes that we don’t hear so much about, or, as the subtitle more accurately conveys: “Extraordinary Wartime Stories of Ordinary People”. The first half of the book focuses on the stories of individuals, the second on groups of people who performed heroic feats together over the course of the war. The main focus is on people from the US on the battlefield, behind enemy lines, and at home.

I really enjoyed how Jerry Borrowm
Cathy
May 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoy books by this author. I love the way he tells the stories about the people in this book. His writing makes these real people and groups jump off of the page. It almost seems as though the reader knows them.

I loved the way I learned about all of the people and groups. Even if I thought that I had at least a basic understanding of the groups, I was able to learn new things about them.

And the individual people were great! I hadn’t heard of any of them. It was so great to learn a litt
Becky
First sentence: The story that follows comes from personal interviews with Henry Robert "Pat" Patton, a survivor of the infamous Bataan Death March and prisoner of war in Japan during World War II.

Premise/plot: The first half of Invisible Heroes introduces readers to five heroic individuals: Pat Patton, Nancy Wake, Joseph Hyalmar Anderson, Joseph Medicine Crow, and Dickey Chapelle. Three men who served during the war. One woman who was part of the French Resistance. One woman who was a photojour
Denise Hershberger
Feb 02, 2019 rated it liked it
I've always been interested in learning about the years of WWII so this book caught my eye. It was neat to read about specific examples of heroes. I especially was intrigued by the photographer's story. I cannot believe how brave she was.

Some of the other stories didn't capture my attention quite as much because I'd already read more about them.

Another aspect that surprised me in this book was that it wasn't really about WWII so much as it was about all the wars and conflicts the US was involve
John Purvis
Feb 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
"Invisible Heros of World War II" Book was published in 2019 (May) and was written by Jerry Borrowman. Mr. Borrowman has published a mix of 20 fiction and non-fiction books.

I received an ARC of this novel through https://www.netgalley.com in return for a fair and honest review. I categorize this novel as ‘R’ because it contains scenes of Violence. The story is set in the years of World War II in both the European and Pacific Theaters.

This is really a collection of short stories about those who
Stephanie
May 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Very interesting! The book flowed well from story to story and I couldn't put it down. I liked that the author gave background info of many of the people in the book which helped drive home the point they were ordinary people that did extraordinary things. I thought it was good that the struggle the Navajo's went through when they returned to America was included. Since their job was classified they couldn't talk about how they served and people didn't know how much they did.
I fully enjoyed the
Bonnie
May 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
What amazing men and women supported and served our country during this time of war. It was humbling to read about these invisible heroes who helped shape the war. It's heartbreaking to know what some of them went through and how little the santity of life meant to others. Some of the things were very difficult to read and I had to take it in small doses, but I would recommend it to almost anyone.
Tessa
Jan 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was an interesting compilation of WWII stories. Some I had heard of and others I had not. But all of them were well-written and from unique perspectives from the war. I constantly amazed at the "greatest generation" and what they went through. Their strength is unparalleled and these stories showcase that.

Thank you NetGalley and Shadow Mountain Publishing for an eARC.
Cheri
May 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: history
#InvisibleHeroesOf WorldWarII #NetGalley

Very well written stories of WWII. My favorie, were about the Navajo Code Breakers, The Purple heart and Nancy who was with the French Resistance.. We owe our freedom to those who fought so valiantly.
Proforma
May 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Honesty. Loyalty. Patriotism.

That's the stuff heros are made out of.

Bravery is a side-effect of loyalty, honesty and patriotism in war. Not all heros die bravely swinging the scabbard, cutting down the enemy left and right. Sometimes it takes more bravery to watch a man die and do nothing.

Borrowman's latest offering is about invisible heros. Those who waged war at the front lines, those who built the lines and those who fought far from the front line.

From him we learn about Pat Patton's war in
Lori Riley
Dec 02, 2018
Kathryn Veil
Mar 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is right up there with Jerry Borrowman's other titles. It is a superb read that brings to light the true stories of some behind-the-scenes warriors of World War II.
"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things: the decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks nothing worth a war, is worse...A man who has nothing which he is willing to fight for, nothing which he cares more about than he does about his personal safety, is a miserable creature, who has no
John
May 12, 2019
Becky Porter
May 01, 2019
Elaine
Nov 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Thank you net galley for the advance reader copy of the novel. This book was filled with the short stories of unsung heros of WWII. My favorites were the first (Bataan death march) and forth (WWII photographer) stories. The author clearly spent a lot of time interviewing, searching records, and fact checking for this great work. I am so glad I was able to read this work. Highly recommend this for any history lover!
Gene Reams
Micielle
Robert
Susan
Apr 18, 2019
Jerry Borrowman is a best-selling author of fourteen published books, most military fiction and co-authored biography. He and Rudi Wobbe, co-authors of Three Against Hitler, are recipients of the prestigious George Washington National Medal of the Freedom Foundation at Valley Forge,"for their contribution to the cause of freedom."

Jerry is known for his meticulous attention to historical detail, in