Start by marking “The Missionary Call: Find Your Place in God's Plan For the World” as Want to Read:
The Missionary Call: Find Your Place in God's Plan For the World

The Missionary Call: Find Your Place in God's Plan For the World

Christians of all ages recognize the heartbeat of God to take the Gospel to the nations and wrestle with the implications of the Great Commission in their own lives. The Missionary Call explores the biblical, historical, and practical aspects of discerning and fulfilling God's call to serve as a missionary.  Pointing the reader to Scripture, lessons from missionary heroes, ...more
Published July 1st 2008 by Moody Publishers

To ask other readers questions about The Missionary Call, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Missionary Call

Kailey (BooksforMKs)
Sep 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
This book is full of practical and spiritual advice about how to know if you are called by God to become a missionary overseas. I really appreciated the way the book was organized, talking about the Biblical basis for missions, God's heart for missions, and then branching into the history of missions since the Early Church, and exploring different branches of thought and belief that are present about missions and the missionary call today.

My favorite part was the short biographical summaries of
Clayton Hutchins
Jan 22, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: missions
I wrote the following review for a class:

Is God calling you to be a missionary? Or does God not call anyone in particular to be a missionary, and we are free to stay or go as we choose? Or does God call everyone to be a missionary, such that we would have to justify not going, like someone who opts out of a military draft for health reasons? “Confusion abounds for most believers about the missionary call” (p. 14), writes M. David Sills. Whether it is through potential candidates wallowing in “th
Cyntia Pitaloka
Apr 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
i gave this book five stars rate just from the first chapter. It's like M. David Sills knew me best, about my (and maybe most of us) question about missionoary call: am i really called or i just think that i am called? how will i know the difference? where do i start to know? and lots of questions that we will say "yes, that's so me..." when we read along pages. i once took a course in mission called Kairos course, and this book said much like the course did. if anyone of u have the same questio ...more
Nathan Albright
Aug 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: challenge-2018
[Note:  This book was provided free of charge by Moody Publishers.  All thoughts and opinions are my own.]

In reading this book I have a bit of an advantage (as well as a bit of a disadvantage) compared to many other readers, in that I have already served abroad as a missionary and can largely agree with the author's comments about the struggles and nature of missionary life [1].  For a book about a subject like this one, it is a surprisingly and impressively practical and tough-minded one.  The
Lindsey
Aug 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Funny how the first time I started reading this was in 2012, and the Lord used it to quickly show me that I was not, in fact, called to be a missionary in Africa. I knew that after 2 chapters, so I stopped reading.

This time through, after my husband and I have clearly heard the call to be full-time missionaries in Ireland, every page was full of affirmation and encouragement. This book put into words what I've been feeling, it was a reminder to press on as we wait for the Lord to orchestrate the
Marc Minter
May 24, 2018 rated it liked it
This book seemed to be an ambitious attempt to do at least two things. One, define the phrase “missionary call,” and, two, encouragingly motivate those who may have some inclination to serve as a missionary in some capacity. I think the book failed in its first goal and succeeded in its second.

Whatever a “missionary call” might be, the reader will want to go elsewhere to explore this idea. But the wide-eyed, missions-minded novice will certainly have his/her fires for missions stoked by reading
Joshua Reichard
Jan 11, 2018 rated it liked it
This is a helpful book about seeing God’a call in your life and knowing truly what he is calling you to do. Helpful book to read if it is your first book about missions. I still think John Piper’s book beats all the other missions book. But this is a much easier read.
Dan Mason
Oct 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
An excellent first step for any considering whether God is calling them to missions. It can be a bit repetitive at times, but is still full of helpful, practical information.
Christa Bergquist
Jun 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Excellent resource about the often perplexing topic of God's call to missions.
Victoria
Mar 09, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: books-i-ve-read
3.5 stars.
David Sills explains what the Missionary Call is and explains the process once you do have the call. He even gives examples of one who might be single and one who may be married who receives this call and how this might include or cause problems if your spouse doesn't gain this calling as well. It was an incredibly encouraging book and really is a must read if you long to become a missionary or are longing to understand where you might be called to serve God and others through fulfilli
Stan
Jan 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
There are few books which treat the question of The Missionary Call. This may be the first to treat this subject in light of 21st Century realities. Sills has given us a wonderful and much needed book!

He examines the subject thoroughly in three sections: What Is the Missionary Call?, Understanding Your Missionary Call, and Fulfilling the Missionary Call.

Throughout the book, Sills explores Scripture and historical viewpoints related to missionary calling. The examination of Scripture is faithful.
Jonathan Tomes
Feb 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
In short, The Missionary Call gives a useful introduction to missions, and particularly to those considering that vocation. The book could have been more concise, and reduced in size. There is some unnecessary repetition of concepts, quotations, anecdotes, and sentiments, throughout the chapters. This can serve a good purpose, and it isn't a good reason to reduce rating. On the other hand, The Missionary Call, in many places, tends towards an openness to mysticism, which works against his broade ...more
Brent Rosendal
Sep 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
A good book that talks about the Biblical basis and historical perspective for the missionary call and how it applies to one's life. I think this book would be a great aid to anyone wondering about what God's call is for their life, especially one who is contemplating mission work. It is also a great book for missionaries who have decided to go as the author does a good job explaining many of the decisions that one needs to make before leaving for the field and he also deals with some obstacles ...more
Mark A Powell
Mar 01, 2015 rated it liked it
Who is called to missions? How can someone know for sure? Though Sills tackles weighty issues, there is flatness to his writing that fails to engage. Much of the book is unnecessarily repetitive, consistently returning to the same issues and appeals. Still, there is much here to be commended and those questioning whether or not they are called to missionary work will find Sills’ work a helpful guide through this intensely emotional, mental, and spiritual process.
Kie J
Aug 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
A must read for anyone considering missions, especially young adults returning from mission trips and serving overseas that have a desire to return in some capacity. Sills provides great insight for those that want to learn more about the missionary call and what it entails. This book provides a look at the call from both a personal and historical view. Sills insight from his years on the field really helped me connect to his writings.
James Harmeling
Feb 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
Excellent primer for any prospective missionary. Sills writes lucidly and covers well the areas of biblical characters, historic missions figures, subjective issues, and preparatory training. He offers realistic warnings of missionary life but he does not discourage anyone from venturing forth. This volume gives the reader a good start in the direction of full time mission work as well as any ministry endeavor.
Mark
Apr 16, 2010 rated it really liked it
At first I thought this was just going to be another 'how do I know God's will for my life' book. Some of it did give helpful insight to that question--but it was much more than just a book on discerning God's will. It discussed many helpful topics that any prospective missionary would need to know. I would recommend this book to anyone who is seriously considering missions for either a season of life (2 years or more) or for a lifetime.
Matthew Grotheer
Apr 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: missions
I am very appreciative for Sills' careful handling of delicate issues in regards to the "Missionary Call". I would recommend this book for anyone who is wrestling with the will of the Lord in their lives. Whether or not we leave all and go overseas for the sake of the gospel, may our hearts long to see the glory of the Lord fill the earth as the waters cover the sea. May the Lord call many more to go and take the gospel where it has not gone before!
Nathanael
May 01, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a very helpful book about all the ins and outs of becoming a missionary. It could be used for seminary students or anyone considering or in the middle of applying to become a missionary. It was not so helpful for someone who has already become a missionary - that is not its target audience.
David
May 30, 2014 rated it liked it
This book is a great guide for anyone who is seeking to pursue the missionary vocation. The chapter on discerning God's will is one of the best I've read, as is the chapter of missionary biographies. Good theology, good guidance.
Jamie Smetzer
Apr 22, 2012 rated it really liked it
This book was very informative and helpful as far as perspectives go. I will probably go back to this book to use as a reference to the overall big picture of how "MISSIONS" came about through church history.
Christa Hagler
Apr 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book was very helpful for me in confirming the call my husband and I had already felt towards missions. I recommend his book to anyone who is considering missions.
Curt Mize
Jan 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
This book is worth the read for anyone wanting to determine the call of God on their lives, not just as it relates to missions. It's accessible in style and loaded with clarifying illustrations.
Connie
May 07, 2010 is currently reading it
Great book--so far at least. Very thought provoking!
Jessica Kathyrn
Apr 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Haven't finished it completely but it gave me an in depth revelation of The Great Commission and the mission of the missionary and what it means to be one in all aspects of life.
Mallory
Kevin
Dec 18, 2010
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • George Muller, 1805-1898: Delighted in God
  • Salvation to the Ends of the Earth: A Biblical Theology of Mission (New Studies in Biblical Theology (InterVarsity Press), #11)
  • Serving with Eyes Wide Open: Doing Short-Term Missions with Cultural Intelligence
  • Perspectives on the World Christian Movement: Reader
  • Missionary Patriarch: The True Story of John G. Paton: Evangelist for Jesus Christ Among the South Sea Cannibals
  • What is the Mission of the Church?: Making sense of social justice, Shalom and the Great Commission
  • Gospel-Centered Hermeneutics
  • Toward an Exegetical Theology: Biblical Exegesis for Preaching and Teaching
  • 40 Questions About Interpreting The Bible (40 Questions & Answers Series)
  • Cross-Cultural Servanthood: Serving the World in Christlike Humility
  • New Dictionary of Biblical Theology: Exploring the Unity Diversity of Scripture
  • Theology in the Context of World Christianity: How the Global Church Is Influencing the Way We Think about and Discuss Theology
  • God's Glory in Salvation Through Judgment: A Biblical Theology
  • The Story of Christianity: The Early Church to the Present Day
  • A History of Christian Missions (The Penguin History of the Church, #6)
  • Family Ministry Field Guide: How Your Church Can Equip Parents to Make Disciples
  • Rediscovering the Church Fathers: Who They Were and How They Shaped the Church
  • A Passion for the Impossible: The Life of Lilias Trotter
M. DAVID SILLS (B.A., Belhaven College; M.Div., New Orleans Baptist Theological Seminary; D.Miss., Ph.D., Reformed Theological Seminary) is professor of Christian Missions and Cultural Anthropology at Southern Baptist Theological Seminary. He joined Southern Seminary after serving as a missionary in Ecuador, where he served as church planter and general evangelist among the Highland Quichua people ...more