Start by marking “Running in the Dark” as Want to Read:
Running in the Dark

Running in the Dark

The silence of a prairie night hides many secrets.

Needing to get out of Manhattan after a personal tragedy, Abby Markstein accepts a teaching job in the heart of flyover country. One night while jogging through a deserted hollow, she comes upon a car consumed in flames. The only thing more horrifying than the dead man at the wheel is the live one smiling at her in the livi
Audio CD
Published February 6th 2018 by Brilliance Audio (first published 2018)

To ask other readers questions about Running in the Dark, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Running in the Dark

Mackey
Abby Markstein's ex-boyfriend has just committed the ultimate act of revenge by hanging himself and making sure that Abby will be the one to find his body. Once destined for a plum teaching job at Amherst, Abby now finds herself running the opposite direction in order to come to terms with her nightmares. What she finds instead, is a greater horror waiting for her in the heartland of America.

Landing in a small Midwestern town in Indiana, Abby assumed that her life would be boring. However, whil
Linda Strong
Abby Markstein is learning that when you run from troubles, the trouble follows you. After a disastrous ending of a relationship, she decides that moving across the country is just the thing. From big city Manhattan to a small university in Indiana ... what can go wrong?

Abby is settling in, getting to know a few people, teaching mathematics at the university. During her nightly run, she finds a car being consumed by fire. She can see the body inside the car, but there is nothing she can do excep
Atheinne
Mar 10, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley, 2018
The first chapter was okay. As I kept reading, I started to feel a constant monotony to the story and it bugged me big time. Several times, I fell asleep over the story but maybe that’s because I was tired. Or it could be because it bored me. Who knows? To me, there was so much black and white and maybe a sprinkle of a lighter shade of red, for the murder part. But even for the crime scenes, I could barely see the red. It got me wondering if the mystery genre was for me but then I thought, I’ve ...more
Mandy White
Jun 27, 2018 rated it liked it
It was ok, but not great. Found it a bit over the top at times but it was an enjoyable read
Bonnye Reed
Jan 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
GNab This novel takes place in a small town an hour of so out on the interstate from Chicago, a village called Lewisburg with Tippecanoe College, a small, private, expensive school. There is nothing exciting in Lewisburg but plenty just down the road.

If you happen to have a car. Imagine that. You need a car to go to the grocery store in Lewisburg. And it would help if you happen to have any experience driving a car. Of course our protagonist Abigail Markstein, born and raised and educated in Ne
Susan Angela Wallace
running in the Dark by Sam Reeves.
Abby Markslein accepts a teaching job after a personal Tragedy. Abby loves to run. but while running she comes across a burning car. afterwards she has the sense of someone following her. who are they? Are they dangerous?
a very enjoyable read. couldn't guess who it could be. 4*.
Jane
I want to thank Sam Reaves, author and Goodreads First Reads Giveaway for the eBook Kindle copy of Running in the Dark that I won in the Giveaway.

Dr. Abby Markstein, a math professor moves from a personal tragedy to a small town in Indiana to escape her bad memories and teach at a small local college for two years. Compared to Manhattan, Lewisburg, Indiana is a cultural shock although the University offers some culture and friendship with fellow professors.

One morning after getting settled in a
Salla (Booksonal)
Stars: ✦✦.5✧✧
So as usual, I'll tell 2.5 things I liked about the book and 2.5 thing I didn't like.
So what did I think?

+/- 0.5 | The idea is great. That and the cover was definitely what drew me into it. It is quite a typical thriller regarding to what happens, but since the setting is completely new to the main character, it brought a new layer of mystery

+1 | Entertainment value. It started off really well and I did read it to the end, meaning I definitely wanted to know what happens - which is
Bernie
Dec 29, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Running in the Dark written by author Sam Reaves starts out well but the story fizzles out. There is definitely a lot of mystery. The characters need more development. Thanks to NetGalley and Thomas and Mercer for the advance copy.
Lovey Dovey Books
Published on Lovey Dovey Books

Think about the feeling you get when you think someone is behind you or watching you from afar. Sam Reaves brings that feeling to life in Running in the Dark as protagonist, Abby Markstein, tries to acclimate to her new surroundings after witnessing a murder.

Fleeing to The Middle of Nowhere, Indiana after a traumatic break-up, Abby merges into her new life and role as a mathematics teacher at a prestigious college. When she witnesses the murder of a local criminal d
Literati Literature Lovers
Good Story lack of character depth.

Very interesting suspense, but the characters in the story never connect on a deeper level. As a reader I need to feel what the characters are experiencing, but emotions in this book despite being visceral are glossed over by the writer. For a suspense book to work for me, I need to care about the characters and the characters lack of true emotional commitment to each other made me not care. There were moments in this book that the author almost achieved that
MA
Sep 17, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: giveaways, 2018
I won a free copy of this book through Goodreads Giveaways.

The ending twist wasn't entirely necessary in my opinion, but this is an easy one-day read if you're up to it.
Shelbey
In the aftermath of a personal tragedy Abby Markstien feels the need to escape Manhattan. She accepts a teaching position in small town rural Lewisburg, Indiana. What Abby doesn't know, but is about to find out, is that little towns can hold just as many secrets as any big city.

After witnessing a gruesome murder Abby starts uncovering secret after secret and just when she can't take anymore she must stop and face what is coming at her.

I started out really liking this book. I felt for Abby and d
J.E. Feldman
Jan 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
This story started off very promising! You're set up for lots of mystery and intrigue. There are many characters introduced all at once that makes it a little disconcerting at first. Then the action seems to slow down drastically until the ending, which leaves you with a strange twist that feels like it ought not to be included. Altogether a quick read, if you can chug past the slow points. Worth the read.
Charles Brackney
Good read.

Evolving characters & plot. Interesting twists. Main character, Abby, portrayed as a little too stilted & aggressive in reaction to student's excessive attention. But resolved in the ending. Big city corruption & Vice in small town college of mid-America. Definitely, a good read!
Denise Levendoski
Thank you to Sam Reaves and Goodreads.com I won this book in a Giveaway.

Fast paced, thrilling story that will keep you reading and make you lock your doors. My only complaint is that the story went several different directions in an attempt to make sure you didn't see the ending coming. I had to re-read some sections to make sure I understood.
Jessica
Feb 09, 2018 rated it liked it
I received an advance copy of this book, and overall it was a good book. I didn't love it though. I am not sure if I didn't like a lot of the characters or wasn't crazy about parts of the plot, but I was a little disappointed with the story after I had finished it. Maybe it wasn't as suspenseful as I had assumed it would be.
Brian Austin
Mar 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A really good read

I did not really know about this book, but thought I give it a try. Read it in three days, so that's says something about the book. Would have given a five, but book could have been a bit longer.
Sherron L Pace
Feb 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Where is the head

If you cut off a head where do you put it? How many can a person kill without being caught?
An excellent choice in reading has unexpected twists and a superb ending.
Sandi Schmersahl
Wow! Talk about a nail biter.

This has so many plots to it. Just when I thought I had one thing figured out, along came another. Read it straight through and thoroughly enjoyed it.
Linda Rainey
Mar 01, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I Love Suspense

I love suspense and this book has plenty.
Anne moves to get away from her previous life and instead finds murder and a stalker.
This well crafted novel gives you vivid characters that I very much enjoyed.
This book is recommended for those that like thrillers.
Linda
Mar 27, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: giveaway-wins
I didn't love this as much as I thought I would. Didn't attach to any characters, and the multiple whodunits was a little over-the-top for such a small community.
Rachel Casey
3.5 out of 5

I received a free copy of this book from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

A tragic event leads Abby Markstein to leave her life in Manhattan behind for the quiet and tranquility of Lewisburg, Indiana. She knows she’s probably just hiding from her problems, but for the time being she’s okay with it.

But Lewisburg isn’t as event-free as she’d hoped. On a morning run she comes across a car, lit up in a blaze, and a bubbling body burning inside it. The face of a tattooed strang
Debbie (Doc)
Abby was uprooted from the booming city of New York to Lewisburg, Indiana for a teaching position. By all accounts, Lewisburg is a sleepy college town where everything is in walking distance. Hoping for a new start and to leave behind a tragedy, Abby moves alone expecting for a quite solitude two years as a professor. No place to live and no car immediately throws Abby into a quarry on places to go. After one night at the sleazy hotel, Abby is offered an apartment, which has been converted from ...more
Jean Kolinofsky
Feb 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received a copy of this book from Goodreads for my review. After experiencing a tragedy, Abby Markstein leaves New York to teach at a small college in Indiana. On her morning run she witnesses a car in flames with the body of a local lawyer inside. She also sees someone else on the scene, but after only a moments glance he disappears into the bushes. As the only witness, Abby fears for her safety but has an obligation to her students to keep her occupied.

A second murder soon follows. One of Ab
Mary Cokenour
Apr 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I won this novel in a #Goodreads Giveaway, Math professor Abby has ended a relationship with boyfriend Evan, then he has the nerve to commit suicide in her apartment. Abby needs to get away from New York, so takes a position at a small town college in Indiana; it will be peaceful and quiet, right? Only there a few days and she practically runs up onto a murder scene, and sees the murderer make his getaway towards the creek.

Is the murderer stalking Abby, or is it someone else....one of the singl
Margie
Feb 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Small town, Indiana, college town. Wouldn't guess much crime happens in such a little burg. Wrong! Running across a burning car with a man burning inside is a big deal, a scary thing for Abby Markstein, newly hired math professor at Tippecanoe College in Lewisburg, Indiana. Abby seems to have a bad habit of being in the wrong place at the wrong time a lot.

There's lots of action and suspense in this well-plotted-out story. The author does a good job of keeping the reader guessing about what's go
Kathleen Gray
Jan 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A quick suspenseful read. Abby has left behind all she knows to move to Indiana, a decision she will come to regret. A New Yorker without a driver's license or any experience in a small town, she runs into a horrible situation with a dead man in a burning car. That's only the beginning of the creepiness. Who committed the murder and who is stalking Abby? Abby's the best fleshed out of the characters and she's also the most sympathetic. The others, while interesting, are familiar tropes (although ...more
KATHY
Apr 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 4good, 0azw, 0prime
This wasn't an Audio Book, Good Reads. It was good. Strong main character, atmosphere, interaction, & resolution. I would have liked the details of the mystery to have been more clear. And, at one point there was an apparent lack of recognition, but then recognition. Was the recognition hidden or did it come during the scene? Authors are taking us by the hand, walking us through an experience where we see only what they show us, and while there may be things I miss, I read pretty carefully & ...more
Kathy Clayton
Mar 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great read

This is a really great read. You wonder for the first part about where the book is going and when you are going to get there. But when you do you can't put it down and there are so many twists and turns that you are actually surprised at at the offing. I really enjoyed it A great afternoon read.

• Sam
  • The Bone Treaty
  • My Whole Truth
  • Supernatural
  • Passing Love
  • Death Drops (A Natural Remedies Mystery #1)
  • Run
  • Collide (The Solomon Experiments, #1)
  • The Enchanting Legends Of Shiloh Mansion: The Young King
  • Fender
  • Quaker's War
  • Bayou Myth
  • Renee (Reborn #1)
Aka Dominic Martell.

Sam Reaves has written nine novels, most set in Chicago, and co-authored the true crime memoir Mob Cop. Under the name Dominic Martell he has penned a European-based suspense trilogy. Reaves has traveled widely in Europe and the Middle East but has lived in the Chicago area most of his life. He has worked as a teacher and a translator.