Start by marking “Life Saving Dal” as Want to Read:
Life Saving Dal

Life Saving Dal

Nathan has been divorced for a year and is waiting for a grand romantic gesture to change his life. Kris isn’t what he’s waiting for but might be something better.

~ Short Story, 4000 words
Published July 26th 2017 by Ada Maria Soto (first published June 28th 2017)

To ask other readers questions about Life Saving Dal, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Life Saving Dal

Start your review of Life Saving Dal
Meep
Sep 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: short-fic
This is sweet, a very short story it could be an extended one-night stand or the start of a HEA but there's an otherworldy feel about it of comfort. It's brief and feels like the start of a story, yet perhaps it's better not knowing all the details, what's here is a dose of warmth. ...more
namericanwordcat
I love what is here but after the main set of scenes everything is rushed and that makes it more of a vignette. Those can work but this one leaves me unsatisfied. The writing is good but needs completeness.
iam
Aug 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lgbtqia
Lovely short story about Nathan, who one year after his divorce still visits the bar where he proposed to his ex-husband. There he meets Shrikrishna, called Kris, who might be just able to give him exactly what he needs.
I loved the melancholy and emotion the story conveyed, the easy but deep dynamic between Kris and Nathan and how warm it made me feel from the inside out.
Skye Kilaen
Aug 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Hopeful meet-cute / meet-sexy short story about Nathan, who needs to start getting closure on his previous relationship, and Shrikrishna, nickname Kris, who's more than happy to help with that process. They meet in the bar where Nathan proposed to his husband, a year after their divorce, where Nathan is hoping for a grand romantic gesture that will reverse the end of his marriage. Instead Kris invites him to start accepting something positive from someone else. It's a moment in time when Nathan' ...more
Grace
This is how you write super short really effectively!

This is mega-short, but the author still manage to draw me in with sizzling chemistry and just enough backstory to give me context without dragging down the narrative. Hopeful ending, because you don't actually need to tie up everything in a happily ever after epilogue bow for readers to enjoy your story.
Simon
Apr 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: short-stories, queer
Sweet, tender, fun, funny. So far I've enjoyed everything by this author. ...more
Calathea
While I liked this read and the characters (as far as we got to know them) and it's very well written, it just feels to me like something is missing. The whole thing gives me a sense of one scene taken from a bigger story and the ending was a bit too sudden. It's like we got the first half of a promising start to a new relationship but due to the sudden end I can't trust that they have a fair chance at actually making it work. ...more
Alison
I read this a while back, but never said anything about it. I remember it being a nice story and nicely written. I loved that it has a lovely Indian-American guy as a main character. This is quite short and it's pretty much just the beginning of a story, but it's nice and I enjoyed it. Also, it's free. ...more
DC
Apr 13, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
2.5 stars rounded up. This is a really sweet well-written SHORT story. And that’s the problem. You get drawn into the story and then it suddenly ends. It leaves you feeling like you didn’t get the entire book. The table of contents lists the entire story as Chapter 1, and that is what it seems like. Is this the first chapter of something more to come?
Tailtiu
Mar 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: free
3,5* upgrade because I would love to read more...
Jamie
So short, so simple, so sweet, so satisfying.
Maria Lima
Sep 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lovely little story.
Lala Albert
Jan 26, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well written. Short and hot.
Zeoanne
Jan 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wish it would've been longer. ...more
KawaiiOni
Aug 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Lovely

I love this story. This author has become an auto buy for me with her ability to create characters and atmosphere. Only one but - this was way too short.
Karen
Jan 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a sweet story!
Laks
Oct 29, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A sweet story where a divorcee is rescued during a dark night. Both Nathan and Kris are cute together. I wish this wasn't so short though. ...more
Aster*
Dec 30, 2017
Murphy
Mar 06, 2020

• Boyfriend Material
  • To Touch the Light (Irons and Works)
  • Take a Hint, Dani Brown (The Brown Sisters, #2)
  • Spooky Business (The Spectral Files, #3)
  • Screwed (Four Bears Construction, #4)
  • Radiant (Men of Hidden Creek - Season 4, #1)
  • A Ferry of Bones & Gold (Soulbound, #1)
  • Immediate, Not Gradual Abolition
  • Tic-Tac-Mistletoe
  • Sunshine & Shadows
  • Marked by Death (Necromancer, #1)
  • Speed Dating the Boss (Cowboys and Angels, #1)
  • The Sugared Game (The Will Darling Adventures #2)
  • Capitalism: A Ghost Story
  • Learned Behaviors (Higher Education, #1)
  • In the Closet of the Vatican: Power, Homosexuality, Hypocrisy
  • Downtown Devil (Sins in the City, #2)
  • How We Get Free: Black Feminism and the Combahee River Collective
Ada Maria Soto is a born and raised Californian, Mexican-American/WASP, currently living as an expat in the South Pacific. Writing is her day job for the two days a week her toddler is in daycare. The other five days a week her toddler is her day job.

A psychologist once told her she has a fantasy prone personality, but since she’s trying to be a writer that’s not a bad thing. She has dysgraphia an