Start by marking “Pippi Longstocking” as Want to Read:
Pippi Longstocking

Pippi Longstocking (Pippi Långstrump #1)

4.12  ·  Rating details ·  140,977 Ratings  ·  2,960 Reviews
"Who will challenge Mighty Adolph, the World's Strongest Man, in a wrestling match?" cries the ringmaster.

Who else but Pippi? She lifts him high in the air and carries him around the ring, to the delight of all the children at the circus.

But then everything about Pippi is strange and wonderful and funny ... whether she's teaching two burglars to dance or murdering arithmet
Published 1972 by Scholastic, Inc. (first published 1945)

Elyse
May 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm in bed - again -today with some type of nasty bug - a relapse from last week...a traveling flu bug? cold? allergies? It's now in my chest...
Right when I'm reading the interview on Goodreads from Fredrick Backman about his new-HIT- novel BEARTOWN - my doorbell rings. A delivery guy brought a huge vase of flowers from our daughter, Katy. Tomorrow is Mother's Day! (sweet daughter)
Paul got the door - brought the flowers to the nightstand next to my bed. I told Paul what I had just read about Fre
Annet
Aug 13, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids
I used to feel connected to Pippi as a kid. Because I had red/orange hair ;-) I was even called Pippi Langkous (the Dutch translation) sometimes then.. I swear I have this photo of myself as a kid, spitting image then, now my hair is white/orange mixed, I'm sure Pippi would have the same as an older and still eccentric lady? :-)
I remember my mother, when I was a little kid, used to deck me out in a two piece suit, skirt and jacket and top it off with red stockings. I really used to hate that, d
Lisa
I think Swedish schools today are far too influenced by Astrid Lindgren's most famous character!

There is not a single person in this country who doesn't know the story of how Pippi Långstrump started school. Her friends Tommy and Annika told her that they get to have a "Christmas break", and Pippi, always staying home on her own, and therefore not entitled to a "break", thinks that is unfair.

"Orättvist" is by far the word I hear most often in my conversations with Swedish adolescents, and it al
Manny
Since I love Scandinavian authors and review many Swedish and Norwegian novels, I'm often asked what the best language is if you're planning to read one in translation. It's early days yet, but I'm starting to feel more and more certain that the answer is German. Just like Komet im Mumintal , which I read last year, Pippi Langstrumpf was an absolute winner and felt 100% authentic. It was exactly like reading it in Swedish: the melody of the sentences was the same, the word-play was the same, an ...more
Manybooks
Feb 02, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who enjoys children's literature, especially literature with strong female characters
Astrid Lindgren's Pippi Longstocking (originally published in Swedish as Pippi Långstrump in 1945) is likely one of the most well-known and famous Swedish children's books of all time; it has been translated into more than 50 languages and is still globally loved and admired.

The original concept for the novel originated in 1944, when Astrid Lindgren's then seven year old daughter was ill with pneumonia and Lindgren told her imaginative stories about a fantastical and mischievous little girl nam
Ahmad Sharabiani
Pippi Långstrump = Poppi Lang strump, Astrid Lindgren
عنوان: پی پی جوراب بلند؛ فی فی جوراب بلند؛ نویسنده: آسترید لیندگرن؛
عنوان: پی پی جوراب بلند؛ نویسنده: آسترید لیندگرن؛ مترجم: گلی امامی؛ تهران، ؟، 1349، در 152 ص؛ چاپ دیگر: تهران، هرمس، 1378؛ چاپ دیگر: 1379؛ 1381؛ شابک: 9646641784؛ شابک دوره: 9647100930؛ چاپ ششم 1394؛ در 173 ص؛ شابک: 9786001216626؛ موضوع: داستانهای نویسندگان سوئدی - قرن 20 م
مترجم: فرزانه کریمی؛ ویراستار: حسین فتاحی؛ تهران، قدیانی، بنفشه، 1380؛ در 135 ص؛ شابک: 9644173346؛ چاپ دی
Nomes
Here's my daughter reading Pippi

First, the story. Pippi was written in the 1940's and it's still utterly captivating to this generation. Pippi is such an endearing character, irreverent, infectiously ridiculous and charmingly caring. Bonus to all kids everywhere: she makes adults look silly and kids look brilliant. She champion's the kids world: all imagination and no rules. Anything is possible and everything is an adventure. She's like the imaginary friend we'd like to be, except, in the end
Riku Sayuj
Jan 21, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: r-r-rs

The Girl With The Dragon Boots

Having read The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, where Lisbeth is identified as a real world Pippi, I have been planning to read the supposed inspiration for a long time. For the first few chapters, it is hard to imagine how Larsson could have based the character of Lisbeth on Pippi. Eventually I learned to warp Pippi's world and squeeze it into the supposedly real world filled with rapists and thieves, where little girls have no super strength to get by on. I could the
sweet pea
Feb 04, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
i was thrilled by the thought of a new version of Pippi illustrated by Lauren Child. i grew up on Pippi. besides my wild hairstyles, she also taught me how to be spunky and lie extravagantly.

perhaps i'm hard-lined. but, certain aspects of this new translation leave me cold. Ephraim Longstocking being a "king of the natives" is too much to bear. too generic to process. he is obviously a king of the CANNIBALS, as anyone with an ounce of sense can recall. also, Pippi's full name changed from "Pipp
Iryna (Book and Sword)
Astrid Lindgren is not popular enough in the United States. And that makes me sad.

Her books, especially Pippi Longstocking and Carlson On The Roof are well known and loved over in Europe. It's a favorite children's classic. And it is so well deserved.

When I was little, Pippi was everything I ever wanted to be : wild, free and completely unapologetic. I would get sick a lot when I was a kid (colds, pneumonia and that kind of stuff). Reading about Pippi and her adventures always made me feel bette
Foad
تجربه ی بسیار لذت بخشی بود، خوندن داستان کودکان زیر ده سال، در بالای بیست سالگی! کلی با شوخی هاش خوش گذشت.

پی پی، دقیقاً بر عکس آلیسه! آلیس یه دختر کاملاً معقول (و حتا کمی تندخو و خشک) که وسط یه شهر پر از خل و چل و دیوونه گم میشه و سعی میکنه با بدخلقی اشتباهات دیگران رو بهشون یادآوری کنه، ولی هیچ فایده ای نداره.
اما پی پی، خودش عجیب و غریب و کمی دیوونه است، و وسط کلی آدم بزرگ معقول و خشک گیر کرده و مدام با کارها و حرف های نامعقولش، اون ها رو از کوره به در میکنه.
من فکر کنم لذت خوندن این دومی برای ب

L, is for Lindgren

2.5 Stars

Pippi Longstocking is absolutely a case of I-read-this-too-late-in-life.

This is NOT the kind of story my mom read to me as a child. I was too headstrong already, I didn’t need her reading about a ginger-haired nine year old who lifted up horses and refused to go to school. Wise move, mom, wise move.

I am at somewhat of a loss as to how to review this, to be honest. There is a cuteness to it, a toughness too BUT I can’t turn off pretend-mom brain. I can’t help but th
Manny
The following may be heresy, but, as Michael Dibdin says of his novel The Last Sherlock Holmes Story, it's the heresy of the true believer. Anyway, now that everyone's read The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, we can no longer avoid the question. What does Pippi think about sex? Lisbeth Salander is repeatedly identified with Pippi, and she's quite straightforward about sex. When she wants it, she goes for it; no shame, no hangups. It's hard to believe that Pippi isn't exactly the same.

Of course, Pip
Melanie (TBR and Beyond)
“I have never tried that before, so I think I should definitely be able to do that.”

This one is so nostalgic for me. I grew up having my mom read the books to me and I used to watch the movies all the time as well.

Pippi Longstockingis a classic that everyone should enjoy at least once in their life. It's about a young girl who lives in a large house with a monkey and a horse, she also happens to be "the strongest girl in the world." Beside Pippi live two other children, a brother and a sist
Sarah Grace
Jul 20, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens, classics
Very sweet, whimsical children's book! I enjoyed reading it to my younger brothers. They usually won't sit still long enough for me to read anything to them, but they actually were asking ME to read it to them! So it was a win-win in that area! If you're looking for a good "role model" children's book, this isn't really it, but it was fun, and there certainly wasn't anything bad in it.
Victoria Hansen
Feb 11, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
I remember the day my mother came home with a copy of 'Pippi Longstocking'. I was seven, and too scared to read such a 'big' book. After my mother convinced me to, I read Pippi Longstocking and fell in love with the adventures of the independent, yet immature Pippi. It took me a couple of years before I re-read it, which was where my view on the book changed. As I used to live in Denmark, I grew up with Pippi Longstocking, Karlsson-on-the-Roof, Emil of Lönneberga, and anything Astrid Lindgren, r ...more
Ronyell
To be honest, I have heard of “Pippi Longstocking” when I was little, but I only saw the movies of the little red haired heroine, but then again I might have read this book when I was younger. It is just that I do not remember many children’s books that I have read when I was small. “Pippi Longstocking” is a popular children’s book by Astrid Lindgren and it details the wild adventures of an unusual girl named Pippi Longstocking. “Pippi Longstocking” is clearly one of the best children’s books ev ...more
Caroline
May 29, 2012 added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Caroline by: Shelley
The past is indeed another country.

When I was a child I read voraciously. I have a memory that having rapaciously foraged my way through the children’s section, I was given an adult library ticket before my time. But I am sure that didn’t really happen, not even in the rough and ready borough of London where the transition took place. My wanting just made it seem real.

In spite of my impatience for the adult section, I adored my time with the children’s library, and at the pinnacle of all child
April Knapp
Review originally posted HERE

"Pipi Longstalking" is an easy read and I can see why kids enjoy it. Pipi is funny and different and draws little children out of their normal, every-day lives with her wacky adventures.

BUT, it has no plot and, therefore, is not very attractive to adult readers. It's really a series of short stories that have very little plot or meaning to them in themselves. About 75 percent through, I started just skimming the stories because they were plotless and all very similar
Bonnie
5 stars *(My child-experience rating, though my adult rating wouldn’t differ much.)

As an adult, I find it interesting to revisit books I read as a child. Pippi Longstocking is one of two I remember most vividly; The Ugly Duckling is the other. These stories are so different from one another that I find it odd – it must say something about my personality as a child.

Rereading Pippi recently, I laughed out loud throughout the first half of the story and then I’m not sure what happened. Maybe “Monke
Scarlet Cameo
Dec 07, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Scarlet Cameo by: The movie & the cartoon.
Shelves: rc-15

Acepto que Pippi es uno de mis personajes favoritos y que tengo recuerdos de mi infancia en los que ella era mi ídolo, pero ahora que ya estoy más grande me gusta pero ya no me fascina, lo cual no es que sea malo sino que ya no tiene el encanto que me cautivo cuando era niña (desgraciadamente no todos los libros tienen en mi corazón la trascendencia de Alicia y Mafalda).

Pippi es una niña peculiar, con muchas cualidades que hacen que tre agrade el personaje, aunque sí conociera una niña así en la
Oziel Bispo
Mar 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Adoro ler essas histórias que me lembram os livros que eu lia na minha infância. .Pippi uma garotinha sapeca, mas inocente ao mesmo tempo, que tem nos encantado por gerações.
Joselito Honestly and Brilliantly
Her mother died when she was just a baby so she has no memory of her at all. Her father was a ship captain who was thrown overboard during a storm at sea and disappeared. Pippi Longstocking, nine years old, believes her mother is in heaven watching her, and her father on an island and has become the king of the cannibals. She lives alone in their house with a monkey named Mr. Nilsson and a horse.

She often looks up at the sky and tells her mother "Don't you worry about me. I'll always come out on
Deborah Markus
May 28, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This is a review of a new translation of a children's classic. My comments and the number of stars this edition gets has nothing to do with my adoration of Pippi Longstocking, which my review of the previous edition should make pretty clear.

I'm always wildly excited to hear of new translations of books I love, so it saddens me to have to say I'm disappointed in this one.

It was published in honor of the 100th anniversary of the birth of Astrid Lindgren, the author of the Pippi books. (Lindgren li
Steffi
Jun 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Jeder kennt Pippi. Man brauch hier nichts rezensieren.
BAM The Bibliomaniac
Childhood memories of Sunday afternoon movies on channel 41 are dancing in my head. Pippy was my favorite second only to Shirley Temple. What adventures she had-keeping a horse on the porch; rescuing children from a burning building; outsmarting thieves and nine pin playing ghosts! And she always gets it over the adults. I think my favorite chapter was when she decided she must go to school so she can have a Christmas vacation. The student of my worst nightmares
E.F.B.
DNF

I'm very sorry to those who love Pippi, and it seems like quite a few of my friends do! Pippi and I just did not click. I tried to give her a fair chance and pushed myself to continue beyond where I wanted to give up, but alas, my feelings didn't change. I just found her annoying and could not make myself care enough about her to keep going. As I recall, even when I was very little, I had a Pippi Longstocking animated video I'd been given as a gift and it was one of my and my parents' *least*
Viv JM
I read this for the Book Riot Read Harder Challenge task to read a children's classic published before 1980. I can completely see why so many children have loved this. Pippi is a very cool, completely anarchic character - she displays a complete disregard for convention and yet always does the right thing and is kind to a fault. Deservedly a children's classic!
Mariah
Feb 06, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a cute story! It made me think of Roald Dahl's writing style and creativity. This is definitely a book I'll suggest to my students.
Amir The Fat Bookworm
When I was a kid, my mom used to read this before going to bed. And we would laugh so much that we couldn't keep ourselves from going on and on. ah, this was a good book. I would love to re-read it when the chance arises.
Reading 1001: Pippi Longstocking 3 8 Jul 11, 2018 06:32PM
101 Books to Read...: Pippi Longstocking 10 33 Sep 18, 2016 10:20PM
2015 Reading Chal...: Pippi Longstocking by Astrid Lindgren 2 16 Sep 02, 2015 04:32AM
Great Middle Grad...: Happy birthday, Astrid Lindgren! 8 10 Nov 17, 2014 10:08AM
  • Pünktchen und Anton
  • Naksitrallid. Esimene ja teine raamat
  • Die kleine Hexe
  • Moominpappa's Memoirs (The Moomins, #4)
  • Oh, wie schön ist Panama
  • Jim Knopf und die Wilde 13
  • Патиланско царство
  • Morgen, Findus, wird's was geben
  • Ramona the Pest (Ramona, #2)
  • Betsy and Tacy Go Over the Big Hill (Betsy-Tacy, #3)
  • The Wednesday Witch
Astrid Anna Emilia Lindgren, née Ericsson, (1907 - 2002) was a Swedish children's book author and screenwriter, whose many titles were translated into 85 languages and published in more than 100 countries. She has sold roughly 165 million copies worldwide. Today, she is most remembered for writing the Pippi Longstocking books, as well as the Karlsson-on-the-Roof book series.

Awards:
Hans Christian A
More about Astrid Lindgren

Pippi Långstrump (3 books)
  • Pippi Goes on Board

• Searching for Grace Kelly
    $15.99 $1.99
  • Bricking It
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Fifth of March: A Story of the Boston Massacre (Great Episodes)
    $8.99 $2.99
    $13.99 $1.99
  • The Elephant Keeper's Daughter
  • The Virtues of Oxygen
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Home to Harmony (Harmony #1)
    $11.14 $1.99
  • Dog Crazy
  • The Towers of Tuscany
  • The Noticer: Sometimes, all a person needs is a little perspective
  • Who We Were Before
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Reluctant Midwife (Hope River, #2)
    $10.49 $1.99
  • Sin No More (Reverend Curtis Black)
    $10.39 $1.99
  • We'll Always Have Paris: Stories
  • The Hidden Flower
  • Greyhound
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Take Two (Above the Line, #2)
  • The Heart Mender: A Story of Second Chances
  • Where We Belong
    $5.99 $1.49
  • Cashelmara
    $14.99 $1.99
  • Dumplin' (Dumplin', #1)
  • The Sisterhood of Blackberry Corner
  • A Scattered Life
  • Every Ugly Word
  • A Memory of Violets: A Novel of London's Flower Sellers
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Desert God (Ancient Egypt, #5)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • The Woman Who Breathed Two Worlds (Malayan #1)
  • An Amish Buggy Ride
  • Old Yeller
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Secret Healer (The Secret Healer #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Elizabeth Street
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Gates of Rome (Emperor, #1)
  • The Unkillable Kitty O'Kane
  • It Is Well
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Sinful Calling (Reverend Curtis Black #13)
  • On a Cold Dark Sea
    $4.99 $1.99
  • My Lady Viper (Tales from the Tudor Court #1)
  • Kings of Broken Things
  • Edward Adrift
  • The Restaurant Critic's Wife
    $3.99 $1.99
“The children came to a perfume shop. In the show window was a large jar of freckle salve, and beside the jar was a sign, which read: DO YOU SUFFER FROM FRECKLES?

What does the sign say?” ask Pippi. She couldn’t read very well because she didn’t want to go to school as other children did.
It says, ‘Do you suffer from freckles?’” said Annika.
Does it indeed?” said Pippi thoughtfully. “Well, a civil question deserves a civil answer. Let’s go in.”

She opened the door and entered the shop, closely followed by Tommy and Annika. An elderly lady stood back of the counter. Pippi went right up to her. “No!” she said decidedly.

What is it you want?” asked the lady.
No,” said Pippi once more.
I don’t understand what you mean,” said the lady.
No, I don’t suffer from freckles,” said Pippi.

Then the lady understood, but she took one look at Pippi and burst out, “But, my dear child, your whole face is covered with freckles!”

I know it,” said Pippi, “but I don’t suffer from them. I love them. Good morning.”

She turned to leave, but when she got to the door she looked back and cried, “But if you should happen to get in any salve that gives people more freckles, then you can send me seven or eight jars.”
148 likes
“But Nightshirts aren't dangerous," Pippi assured her. "They don't bite anybody except in self defense.” 81 likes