Start by marking “The Dead of Night (Piper Blackwell #2)” as Want to Read:
The Dead of Night (Piper Blackwell #2)

The Dead of Night

(Piper Blackwell #2)

In Spencer County’s history, mysteries are numerous—and lethal…

As Sheriff Piper Blackwell rushes to a clandestine meeting with an aging, paranoid veteran who believes spies are trailing his every move, she is caught in a fierce thunderstorm. Pounding rain drums against the bluff, washing away the earth and revealing a grisly secret someone tried to bury a long time
Published September 15th 2017 by Imajin Books

To ask other readers questions about The Dead of Night, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Dead of Night

Start your review of The Dead of Night (Piper Blackwell #2)
Aly
Sep 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
In this heart pounding thriller, "Sheriff Piper Blackwell and Chief Deputy Oren Rosenberg seeks to expose a truth someone wants to remain forever hidden". There are several twists ands turns in this book. I loved what I found in these pages. Sheriff Piper Blackwell is a great character for me. I wanted to read more and more of this book and it was hard to put down. The story kept me on the edge of my seat. * I received this book from the author and this is my honest review*
Janet Deaver-pack
Jul 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: finished
One of the most difficult things an author ever does is try and bring his or her second volume in a series up to the level of the first. Jean Rabe has done just that in her encore appearance of Piper Blackwell, 23-year-old sheriff of a tiny town in the upper Midwest. The author's deep acquaintance with such small towns is evident, and her studies of police procedure make what happens in the department believable. Her characters are well drawn; some of them, such as the woman who serves as ...more
Christine Verstraete
Oct 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery
Fantastic, even better than the first! Piper is growing, she shows her heart and soul in what can be a tough, gritty job. Great characters and plenty of details. The research shows. Everything is tied up nicely, with one of the crimes having an interesting link from past to present. Can't wait to read more about Piper and her most interesting neighbors!
Mary
Apr 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Piper Blackwell is dealing with multiple crimes, once again. After a serial killer is dumped in her lap on her first day as Spencer Co. Indiana sheriff, she now stumbles on (literally) half-buried human bones that may be over 65 years-old. A late night meeting with an elderly veteran, Mark the Shark, who insists Piper investigate who is stealing his life savings, leads to the grisly discovery.

Like that isn’t enough, Gretchen, another senior citizen, is terrorizing mail boxes all over the county.
Jessica Bronder
Sep 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Mark the Shark is a 90 years old veteran he is and thinks that he is being followed. He calls Sheriff Piper Blackwell to stop whoever is after him. At the same time recent storms have exposed a skeleton on the bluffs. Clearly someone was killed but who were they and why were they killed? Piper and Oran Rosenberg step up to figure out what is going on. But someone wants the past to stay buried and will go to al lengths to keep it so.

Piper has recently been elected as sheriff and is in the middle
Shawn Remfrey
Jul 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I'm not normally a cozy reader, but I love the Piper Blackwell series. It's a bit darker than most cozies and instead of the cookie cutter format we find the unexpected.

Rabe's storytelling keeps you locked in the book. Though I don't really care for the main character, the rest of the town is full of old friends. In this book, we meet Mark the Shark, who is probably in my top ten characters ever created. Ms. Rabe, if you're reading this, please send me a picture of Mark for Christmas. I'll
Katinka
Sep 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: murder-mystery
Full review posted at www.momkatreads.com
Dinnl
Oct 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Good. Will read more of the series
Sandy Tucker
Dec 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another enjoyable reas

Love the Piper Blackwell series hope there are many more in the future. Love watching her grow into her role.
Mere
May 05, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed-on-blog
I didn't read the first one, but I dove into this one straight away.

This book had atmosphere to it, and it had some great writing as well. The characters all felt true to life in some ways. They weren't perfect by any means, but that made it better. I also liked that the mystery was interesting.

While it was a typical mystery, there were some twists to it so that was nice. It definitely had several mysteries going at the same time and it helped to keep the plot moving forward.

I would certainly
Roy Jefferies
Sep 17, 2019
Betty
Nov 08, 2019

• Circle of the Moon (Soulwood, #4)
  • Archangel's War (Guild Hunter, #12)
  • The Outcast (Summoner, #0.1)
  • Night Stalker (Rosie O'Grady's Paranormal Bar and Grill, #2)
  • Origins (Summoner, #0.5)
  • Well of Magic (Rosie O'Grady's Paranormal Bar and Grill #4)
  • Dark Dancer (Rosie O'Grady's Paranormal Bar and Grill, #3)
  • Shadow Hunter (Rosie O'Grady's Paranormal Bar and Grill, #1)
  • Prisoner of Night (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #16.5)
  • Emperor's Sword (Imperial Assassin #1)
  • Spacers
  • Templar Stone (The Brotherhood book 2)
  • Black Velvet (The Erin O'Reilly Mysteries #1)
  • Rebellion. The Complete Series.
  • When the Guns Roar (Siobhan Dunmoore Book 6)
  • Irish Car Bomb (The Erin O'Reilly Mysteries #2)
  • Fated for Felony (Psychic Eye Mystery #16)
  • WarDance (Chronicles of the Warlands, #5)
When I am not writing, I toss tennis balls to my cadre of dogs. My house is filled with books and dogs, you can smell both when you walk in the front door. It's a good smell.

I have 36 published novels and am currently writing in the mystery genre. My latest mystery, The Dead of Winter, was a finalist for the Claymore Award and is the first in the Piper Blackwell series.

I live in a tiny town in the

Piper Blackwell (2 books)
  • The Dead of Winter (Piper Blackwell #1)