Start by marking “The New Guy (Office Aliens, #2)” as Want to Read:
The New Guy (Office Aliens, #2)

The New Guy

(Office Aliens #2)

Maggie works in Enquiries at DETI (The Department of Extra-Terrestrial Immigration) and they're a little under-staffed. She's confused but grateful when a handful of Teissian refugees fresh off the spaceship are allocated to her department. She is put in charge of training Ro, a charming, scaled alien with a sexy voice, cute dimples, and a lot of secrets.

She knows office
Kindle Edition, 1 edition, 360 pages
Published August 2nd 2017

To ask other readers questions about The New Guy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The New Guy

Start your review of The New Guy (Office Aliens, #2)
namericanwordcat
I really loved the first book in this series and while I enjoyed aspects of this book, it suffered from some logic problems in the world building and lack of communication between the characters.

The heroine is into the hero because of his sexy voice and he is nice. They move into dating. It is sweet.

And then they don't talk and she doesn't seek out knowledge about him and I can't believe the other couple wouldn't have talk to them and that basic knowledge about the aliens wouldn't be around...
Chappy
Mar 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I'm really getting into this series and especially how we're learning about the various Teissian races. Ro is a Balin who live underground and have very dark scales with splashes of vibrant color.

Maggie trains Ro at his new job and she likes him right away. It's unfortunate that Ro has so many secrets and holds himself back. His lack of self-confidence makes him doubt Maggie's commitment and this leads to problems.
Spuffed
Aug 13, 2017 rated it liked it
Not as good as the first book. The repeated issues between the mc's were essentially the same and became tedious. Almost dnf'd at 65%. Ending was a bummer making me wonder why I even bothered.
Jessie Potts
Sep 22, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle-unlimited
I liked this one, but somehow didn't fully connect with the MCs. I also felt like Ro kept too many secrets... she's human why would she know about the heat cycles, unless she's an idiot and everyone in DETI knows?? Then that should be made clear. I'm not sure. I love this series though so I really hope the next one is even better.

Not a fan of the Balor, and not sure if she can introduce a hero that works with that race. I want more of the winged race :)
Lisa
2.5-3 stars

Not as good as the first one, I feel???? because Ro annoyed me with his lack of communication (view spoiler) but I still enjoyed the story somehow??? amazing
Kelly
Nov 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Okay. We have another alien looking for love in all the office-y places and...he has a few secrets (that aren't really secrets, just cultural differences, kind of) that make hooking up with a human a little sticky.

First off, Ro's new to the planet. Literally new. Like, he's been on Earth a week. When he's assigned to Maggie's group in Enquiries, they hit it off and things seem to be going well. BUT...but there are a few fundamental physical differences between his type of alien and humans that
Joyce Mercês
Jan 07, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: office, sci-fi, aliens, mf, 2020
description

Quick Review: I love that the heroes in this series are so alien! And that there are 4 different species with very particular characteristics. It makes the read interesting and makes me want to read more and learn more. The only complaint I have is the "issue" of this story: miscommunication. I'm not a fan of that plot strategy... But the world-building is amazing!

Keywords: Sci-fi / Human h / Alien H / Interesting (?) Shapped
Ashley (Red-Haired Ash Reads)
Maggie and Ro. Co-workers. Slow building. Instant attraction.

Ro, a Balin, is a new coworker who Maggie is instantly attracted to. Their relationship wasn't without issues though. There is a major cultural difference that they gave to overcome, on top of dealing with Ro not telling all the facts.

This was a nice slow building alien romance. I really love the unique aliens in this world. I liked this couple but I didn't like that Ro wasn't honest and forthcoming from the beginning.
Sonja Dishman
Aug 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Great story

This had a good story line. I like Ro and Maggie's interaction with each other. Wished we could have gotten a little more of the story to find out how Ro responded at the end.
Jessica
Aug 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Cannot get enough of this series

I've been waiting for this book! The author does such a good job with world building. There is a wonderful build up of the relationship.
Smittie
Aug 10, 2017 rated it it was ok
Somewhat Disappointing

I liked the title and expected to like the story but it wasn't possible. I am glad that I rented with Kindle Unlimited as I won't be re-reading this book. I made myself finish it--kept thinking it would get better. The attraction was not quite believable. The characters were not sufficiently developed like in the author's other books and at times whining in the dialogue. There was a great deal of mundane details that was boring and could have been more effective if
Susie
Sep 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Ro such a sweet but misguided alien.

I have to say I enjoyed this one so much more than the first installment in the series. I had no problem believing the attraction between this couple since Maggie was captivated with him from the moment she heard his voice. Ro was such a sweet alien and the imagination of this author in creating her aliens was amazing. He has almost obsidian scales, pink upside down crescent moons on his cheeks, matching pink patterns covering his body and pink eyes which
Wolgan
This book was really frustrating to read. I almost gave up on it a few times, but hung in there.

My primary issue was with Maggie. She was nice, in a "bless her heart", kind of way. Meant well but was unbelievably dense. Ro wasn't much better honestly. I think ultimately the two of them deserved each other.

They were both ridiculously oblivious to context clues and neither seemed to have any clue how to communicate in a relationship.

When I say oblivious, I mean painfully oblivious. To the point
Rachel
Jun 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Potential spoilers ahead.

I started off really liking this book. I enjoyed the relationship and thought it was cute overall.

HOWEVER

Lack of communication is my BIGGEST pet peeve in book relationships and in real life relationships. So, when he made the choices he made because he THOUGHT she would react a certain way really dropped him in terms of likeness for me.

He acted like a desperate male when he had no reason to be desperate in the first place.

Just fucking talk to your partner. She would
Tiffany Roberts
Aug 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this one more than the first! I really like these sweet, shy-like aliens who develop these crushes on the human woman of their choice. They get all protective and jealous if they so much as glance in the direction of another. The women are clueless to their culture, and don't understand that when another male is strutting around like a peacock, you're not supposed to watch as you're 'taken'. All we see is something pretty and different.

I swear though, these two have got to be the
Tiblu
Sep 04, 2017 rated it liked it
Very very s l o w moving.....

Not a bad story per say,but overloaded with too much description of things that are really important and inner angst and inner monologue...... the h spends most the books wondering what H is is thinking and feeling,while he holds back due to low self esteem...
To be the story wasn't all the interesting or compelling ,I felt like the h who at the end the story was seriously angry over his foolish behavior which could have easily resolved with a simple convo, I thought
Chrissy
Dec 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Sweet

This was a funny and very sweet sci-fi romance. I will say I was a little worried in the beginning that To might have some nefarious plans, and I don't know if I was the only one picking up those vibes. But he turns out to be a bit shy with some insecurities I think everyone can relate with to some degree. I think the problems this couple faced were very believable and how they progressed and where solved made sense. And Maggie was a lovable and relatable heroine. So while this story was
HB
Feb 26, 2019 rated it liked it
I love the world that Lancaster has created and the dynamics between an inter-species relationship. That said, I didn't enjoy this book as much as the first one. Their relationship developed so quickly? I know why Maggie was so into Ro but I don't know why he's into her? Maggie was literally the first woman he met. It felt like he was just angling for any human woman because he could not get a Balin woman. That said, I liked that both sides tried hard to make the relationship work although I ...more
Emalee Woods
Jun 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Good book

I really liked this book. I couldn't put it down and it was getting a five star review without a doubt. Until the end. It just ended in what I felt to be an unnatural ending point . I thought I pressed a button on my phone that made the book skip to the end of the book... nope I just reached the last page. I need a wrap up. The first book had an epilogue, with it ending nice and sweet. My only hope is that these characters are in the next book and I get to see their forever ending.
Theresa
Jun 26, 2018 rated it liked it
Not as good as first book. It seemed to be missing as much communication with the reader as the characters were missing with each other. Still...ok. Three star is ok. Average. Nice change of scenery and break a few other books I am pushing myself through. Light reading, short, just not as sexy or satisfying. I’ll review third book soon before plodding on back to the other series I am forcing myself to finish.
Lisa
Maggie and Ro 's relationship is a storybook office romance with all the getting to know you, meeting outside of work and eventually sexual partner. But what do you do when the man you're falling in love with can only mate with you once a year? Jeepers!

This is one of the more realistic office alien romance that is out (yes sounds like an oxymoron) rite with intrigues of day to day working life and what sacrifices can be made for the people we love.
Liz
Jan 07, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: professionals, scifi
Maggie meets Ro when he joins her team at DETI and she has to train him. He's a different species on Teiss than the others we met in book 1. Slowly, they fall for each other but due to species issues and the typical men women miscommunication issues, there's a dramatic health issue that almost breaks them up.

I think my issue with this story is too much office procedural stuff and not enough character development. Also, I didn't really feel the romance between these two, despite the sex.

Shasha
Sep 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: alien, typos
Sweet and real

This alien romance was sweet. The office/refugee setting made it feel real. The cultural differences made sense and caused relationship problems. The setup takes a long part of the story so at the end I felt like there should have been a bit more. The intimate scenes were steamy and alien.

Mature content
E.L. Roux
Aug 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Wow, a great read!

This was a great second addition to the series! I would have loved a lead that was a little more different then the first, and more exploration into the political side of things on both sides, but I enjoyed the romance and connection the two characters developed throughout the story. I can't wait for the third book!
Llaph
I like how the aliens are so different. Different physically, culturally, and well really physically--as in how their bodies work.
I liked how the characters had mostly realistic emotions and vulnerabilities. It wasn't a total omgwannadoeachother sort of book.
Danielle H Chase
Aug 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Always well written

A unique blend of contemporary office romance with sci-fi alien genre. The characters are solid and the culture building of the other species is very well done.
Leyns
Apr 17, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: paranormal
3.5 Stars

It was another good read from this author. The heroes actions were more than a little frustrating though. I’d get it if the secrets were necessary- but it was more a miscommunication issue.
ANDREA
Aug 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
I have a love/hate relationship with V.C. Lancaster. I love reading the books but I hate the fact that I am incapable of putting them down until I read it all! Case in point; I am asleep before 10pm. It is now 12:56am and I just finished!
Lauren
Sep 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was a great book. I am in love with this series. Ro and Maggie were an adorable couple. I would have like more of a conclusion though. A longer epilogue from farther in the future would have been nice.
LowBrowReader
3.5 stars.
Enjoyable but I liked it less than first book in the series. Still a very nice cozy slow-burn read. Instead of usual uber-alpha warrior you will get an alien with serious self-esteem issues. :)

• Contagion
  • The (Alien) Nanny for Christmas
  • Contaminated: Cosmic Fairy Tales
  • Blind Fall (Stolen by an Alien, #5)
  • Won by an Alien (Stolen by an Alien, #3)
  • The Scorpion's Mate (Iriduan Test Subjects, #1)
  • Craved by an Alien (Stolen by an Alien, #4)
  • Claimed by an Alien Warrior
  • Her Cold-Blooded Protector (Levekk Invaders, #1)
  • Tamed by the Troll (Perished Woods #1)
  • Saving Askara (Tori & Aderus, #1)
  • The Kraken's Mate (Iriduan Test Subjects, #2)
  • Key to the Dead Fall (Into the Dead Fall, #2)
  • When She's Married
  • The Orc Wife
  • Alien Instinct (Alien #1)
  • Rescued by an Alien (Stolen by an Alien, #2)
  • Red

Office Aliens (4 books)
  • The E.T. Guy (Office Aliens, #1)
  • The Security Guy (Office Aliens #3)
  • The Guy Next Door (Office Aliens #4)