Start by marking “Dark of Night (Glasgow Kiss, #1)” as Want to Read:
Dark of Night (Glasgow Kiss, #1)

Dark of Night (Glasgow Kiss, #1)

How far would you go to catch a serial killer?

Just when Ruari musters the courage to confess his love for best friend Lorna, she goes missing. When Lorna’s body is found in the Campsies, Ruari sets out to retrace her last steps in the hopes of finding her killer – but somebody has beaten him to it. Now the hunt is on for a serial killer terrorising Glasgow.

Dark of night is
Published November 28th 2017

To ask other readers questions about Dark of Night, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dark of Night

Dash fan
4☆ Pacy, Enthralling Murder Mystery

Glasgow Kiss is the first episode in a new crime series. For me it was very much a Murder Mystery.

When Ruari is determined to confess his feelings for best friend Lorna he has no idea that when he gets off the bus that day he will never see her again.
As he is about to discover she has been brutally murdered!

Ruari is ex police so when he finds out what has happened to Lorna he isn't about to sit back and do nothing. The love of his life has been taken from him
Susan Hampson
Apr 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Well there is a saying, don’t put off till tomorrow what you can do today and in Ruari’s case there was never a truer statement. Finally after years of friendship with Lorna, he has built up enough courage to tell her that he loved her. Now that is big, or it would have been if she hadn’t been murdered. Gosh life is a bummer at times. Well Ruari is determined not to sit back and let the trail go cold to find her killer, so what he lacked in courage to declare his love for her he doesn’t lack in ...more
Joanne
Feb 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Ruari has decided that tonight is the night he will confess to his friend Lorna that his feelings go beyond friendship and that he loves her. However, when he arrives at her house, he finds a police guard outside. Lorna’s body has been found in the Campsie Hills. Reeling from her death, Ruari decides to try to find out what has happened to her. He is convinced that hot shot lawyer Alec McAvoy who he saw her with not long before she disappeared is responsible. He’s not the only one who thinks Ale ...more
Suellen
I thought I would check this trilogy out. It was free on Kindle Unlimited and sounded kind of like the Dublin Murder Squad (Tana French) only it takes place in Glasgow, Scotland. There are three episodes so I thought I would read the first one and decide on the other two later.

Part One was pretty interesting and entertaining but I don’t feel compelled to continue on to parts two or three. I had a bit of a problem following her scene transitions in the beginning but that just might be Duffy’s wri
Sharon
Apr 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Well, I think Glasgow has just found itself a fresh new name in crime fiction! CS Duffy has produced an excellent debut in the first episode of the “Dark of Night” series!

Ruari’s dreams of finding true love with his best friend Lorna, are cruelly dashed when she is found brutally murdered in the Campsie Hills just outside of Glasgow. Ruari has his suspicions when he finds out Alec McAvoy, hotshot lawyer had a drink with her the night before she was murdered. Ruari had been in the police until he
Celine Godfrey
Jan 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Maybe it's mostly because I'm Scottish and love crime books and loved the Scottish phonetics and colloquialisms used in this book. I wasn't sure in the first chapter how I felt about it as I'm not used to reading the Scottish language as it's spoken so it felt a bit forced. But once I realised and accepted this IS actually how we speak (actually, it was cleaned up a little in the book) ... then I started to appreciate how well woven the story was.

And my enjoyment just grew from chapter 2 onwards
Claire
Mar 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
There’s a sinister killer in the loose in Glasgow! Who is causing such terror in the Scottish city?!

My heart broke for Ruari as he discovered Lorna had died when he had finally plucked up the courage to share his feelings. It’s hard to tell someone you like them, even harder when you’re friends with them. But then to have that opportunity ripped away 😫

It took me a little to get into the story as unlike other novels I’ve read that jump between perspectives, Dark of Night jumped between different
Jessica Bronder
Feb 21, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ruari is in love with Lorna but the last time he saw her was the night before when she brought a new guy into his work. He realizes that Lorna had no idea how she feels since he has never told her. But when he goes to tell her, he learns that she has been murdered and he is now a suspect.

At the same time forensic pathologies Amy Kerr thinks she has found the Dancing Girls Killer that escape capture in London five years ago. Ruari is a former officer and not going to sit by the side and let the p
Angela
Nov 01, 2018 rated it it was ok
I heard the author enthusiastically talking about the Tartan Noir genre on the Reading Envy podcast. Having recently moved back to my home city of Glasgow, I was keen to read a locally set crime novel and this sounded intriguing. However, whilst the serial killer story is good, I found the numerous timeline errors and typesetting/editorial mistakes to be a major distraction for this pedantic reader. I think my copy is a self published paperback, so one might expect a few typos, but there were ju ...more
Andrew
Nov 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A serial killer thriller set in Glasgow.
The murdered Lorna becomes fully realised to us-more than just a victim, though we never actually meet her (although it appears that there may soon be an opportunity to do just that). She sounds like a great person to hang out with, and we are moved by Ruari's grief as he attempts to unmask the killer of his friend at great danger to himself.
A great first instalment that builds to a climatic finish. Looking forward to Episode Two.
Jacob Rundle
The world building was interesting. I did feel like I was in Glasgow. for someone who has never been there, it was interesting. The plot fell flat for me. There wasn't anything that really stood out to me. The writing was well done. And, the main character was relatable.
Kirsteen
May 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Cliff hanger ending, need to read episode two very soon. Good book, I like how it is not only set in and around Glasgow, but it is written with people speaking as they would.
Mike Kilpatrick
Oct 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
What's not to love about this book? It's a journey through the gritty Glasgow we've come to love via so many authors in the Tartan Noir genre - but with its own unique twists and a substantial dose of Scottish humour. I can't wait for Episode Two.

And if ye dinnae like this boo? Then you must be a pure tube and a bit o' a numpty.
Rose Griffith
Dec 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
The story of the murder of Lorna and her friend Ruari’s path to finding her killer is intricate. The characters—both good and bad (are we sure which is which?) are fully described and you can easily connect with them emotionally. While there are a number of characters, because they have unique voices, it’s easy to keep track of them.
Having discovered CS Duffy via Jeri Walker’s WordBank blog, I enjoy her writing—she conveys fun in her blogs and great imagination. I like that Dark of Night, while
Rubina
Feb 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ebooks
A good, dark, twisty, fast paced ride but could have been a bit more fun.
Janice Atkinson
Jan 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing

I downloaded this book through a promotion on Facebook. I’d never heard of the book or author beforehand but when reading the blurb and it mentioned a body found at the Campsie’s I knew it was my kind of book. The book mentions lots of places I know which for me is always a bonus. The book is fast paced with lots of interesting and believable characters, my favourites being Cara Boyle and her younger husband. This is an author to look out for. Off to download episode 2.
Helen
Oct 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book was an interesting mixture of Glasgow humour and and dark intrigue. From the beginning you were trying to guess who the murderer was with the writer teasing us with small clues along the way. Great character descriptions! A real page turner. Cant wait for the second episode. Would recommend reading this one.
Jo Harwood
Jul 13, 2018 rated it liked it
Spoiler alert

Cliff edge ending! This isn’t the sort of trilogy you can read separately Make sure you can get Episode 2 ( and I suspect Ep 3 ) immediately! I don’t usually like books that jump about so much in the first few chapters which is why I only gave it 3 stars but stick with it the strands do come together only to leave you needing to read the next one straight away!
Moira
Sep 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Loved it. Started book 2 immediately.
William Cameron
Jul 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Interesting

Came across this book quite by chance. I’m so glad I did. The author manages to grip you straight away and builds the tension throughout. Great characters, good Glasgow patter and a serial killer on the loose. I have already downloaded the next two books. Whatever you do read this. It would make great television.
Craig Gillan
Sep 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great book, dark and twisted in places, laugh out loud parts as well
jim mooney
Jun 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Unexpected

Enjoyed the description of Glasgow some well developed characters.surprised at abrupt end but look forward to the second book in the series
Jessica Belmont
I love everything about this book! It’s an addictive, fast paced, good old fashioned murder mystery.

The writing is solid. The location and language feels very authentic and I absolutely love that about this book. C.S. Duffy knows her stuff and it shows.

I highly recommend checking this one out. It’s a really well done mystery with an authentic Glasgow feel, likeable characters and wonderful writing. You don’t want to miss it.

*I read this book as part of a blog tour with R&R Book Tours. All op
M.A. Thomas
Jun 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
C. S Duffy has written a completely addictive murder mystery with a fast paced narrative and entertaining characters you will love to hate at times. Witty with just enough twists. I give this book five stars for individuality.
Claire
Feb 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this first episode and there were definitely some twists along the. Frustrated it ended on such a cliff hanger though...
Sharon
Feb 18, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I couldn't pass up a read about a serial killer so I jumped at the chance to read Duffy's first book in the series.

I had trouble with the beginning of the book because of the many character perspectives, and I guess I was expecting the story to be told from the police detectives' perspective.  That's where Duffy makes it interesting by telling the story by several people trying to solve the case in their own way.

The story is full of secrets and surprises that are unexpected and to my frustrat
Jean Rae
helen ruth morton
Sep 16, 2018
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
When did you first suspect Amy wasn't what she seems?! 1 1 Mar 07, 2018 05:29AM
C.S. Duffy writes psychological suspense thrillers with a healthy dose of black humour.

Her background is in film and TV. She has several projects in development in Sweden and the UK, and her thriller feature Guilty will be shot in April 2018 in Canada. She is the author of Life is Swede, a psychological thriller that was originally written as a blog - leading several readers to contact Swedish ne