Start by marking “Hide My Eyes (The Albert Campion Mysteries)” as Want to Read:
Hide My Eyes (The Albert Campion Mysteries)

Hide My Eyes

(Albert Campion #16)

Private detective Albert Campion hunts a serial killer in London’s theatre district, in this crime novel from “the best of mystery writers” (The New Yorker).

A spate of murders leaves Campion with only two baffling clues: a left-hand glove and a lizard-skin letter-case. These minimal leads, and a series of peculiar events, set the gentleman sleuth on a race against time
Published October 1st 2015 by Ipso Books (first published 1958)

To ask other readers questions about Hide My Eyes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hide My Eyes

Start your review of Hide My Eyes (The Albert Campion Mysteries)
Daniela
Mar 21, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4 1/2 stars

I took Hide My Eyes on a three-day vacation with me, never having read anything by Allingham before. I knew that this wasn't a whodunnit (my favorite in the mystery genre) and I wasn't sure what to expect.

The story follows for the most part one day in the life of the murderer, whose identity we learn right from the start, and a group of innocent people who are lured one by one into his net, each of them unknowingly playing their part in a game that he devised.

Let me tell you
Theresa
Jan 09, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Suspenseful and satisfying mystery, where we know whodunnit, but have to learn why and how. Campion is there, but in the background.
Tracey
Poor "little Albert", dragged in kicking (literally) and screaming (or at least complaining loudly) to assist the remarkable newly Superintendent Charlie Luke in the investigation of a number of killings. He only wanted to go on vacation – and shortly found himself left unsure whether he was more likely to be kidnapped by the bad guys or the good guys. The plot was handled nicely; since the reader pretty much knows the villain is the villain it's more a matter of suspense – is he going to hurt ...more
Theresa
Jul 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow.

I read "Hide My Eyes" on a rainy Sunday afternoon/early evening. When I finished the book, my thoughts immediately were simply, "wow".

Margery Allingham has written several mysteries with Albert Campion, the hero private investigator, always able to rise to the occasion and solve each particular crime. In "Hide My Eyes", Sergeant Luke, who simply cannot stop questioning leads he comes across, (despite the skepticism of a departmental superior), needs help in solving a particularly difficult
Nancy Oakes
Definitely one of Allingham's best (of the works that I've read), the action starts as a man pulls up in a bus into a cul-de-sac in London called Goff Place. The bus is carrying two elderly people, fast asleep, who stay that way throughout the bus being stopped, the driver getting off the bus and making a phone call, and the murder of a pawnbroker whose body was still missing. Even though there was no corpse, a long trail of blood led back to where the bus had been parked.

Some time later, a
Jill Hutchinson
Sep 03, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A late entry in the Campion series and it is a dandy; however, Campion barely makes an appearance and has about 8 lines of dialogue. Regardless, the story, set in the eccentric neighborhood of Garden Green, is an intricate tale of a young man without a conscience who carefully plans crimes for minimal amounts of money and couples those crimes with murder. He is a mystery to his acquaintances to whom he appears to be many things.....a retired Major, a man about town, a car salesman, etc. etc. Mix ...more
Colin Mitchell
Oct 05, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime
A very good Campion novel with no Amanda or Lugg. One that kept my attention to the end, not because of knowing who was the villain but whether he would be tracked to earth or if he would escape justice. I will not give away the plot.
Emily
Jan 02, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3-4 stars. Thrilling! Although very different to her earlier books, Allingham still knows how to get you hooked in the first few pages and the suspense is kept up all the way through.
Eric
Jul 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the sixteenth outing for Albert Campion, but he figures little in the narrative.

It is a thrilling study of a psychopath, thoroughly rooted in 50’s London and its atmosphere is so redolent of post-war seediness and criminality. It is a tale of human imperfection and self-deception.

The book opens with a country bus containing two elderly passengers being driven into an alley in London’s theatreland. The driver alights, makes a phone call, does a good turn for an elderly lady and goes off
Jan 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hide My Eyes has everything I want from a Golden Age crime novel. It opens on a rainy night with an old, country bus driving down a London avenue with two elderly, sleeping passengers aboard. The bus parks unwitnessed near a theatre. There is also a killer on the bus and he alights to a nearby phone booth. We learn early in the novel the identity of the killer and we see him in every detail. We follow as he draws innocent characters into his mischief. I really connected with these unfortunate ...more
Ali
Mar 20, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hide My Eyes is more of a suspense novel than a whodunnit - as we know who did it- although exactly what has gone on we are not sure of right away. Allingham's details of London streets, the inhabitants of Garden Green, and the odd little house and museum which are at the centre of the story - are brilliantly evocotive. These characters figure far more than dear old Albert Campion, who is quietly in the background, trying to figure out how several things fit together. The tension is just ...more
Cynthia
Dec 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have a shelf full of Campion books, many of which I read many years ago. I found a few copies on the library give-away pile recently, and read The Tiger in the Smoke, which was truly one of the best I've ever read in the series, with much more depth and a much better plot than many of the early Campions. This one, like Tiger in the Smoke, is written later in Allingham's career and has much more depth and a much more interesting plot and characters than many of the early Campions. I raced ...more
Les Wilson
May 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My copy is titled "Hide My Eyes". I found it another great read by Margery Allingham.
Victor
Jun 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: detective, thrillers
A beautifully written suspense thriller in the mode of the tiger in the smoke.While this book lacks the fog laden atmosphere of that book, this has a better sketched villain than Jack Havoc.
Infact the story unfolds from the point of view of innocent normal people who gets to know Gerry Hawker in the course of a day unware of what he is. None of them can see all the clues to his mystery as the reader does and this makes the book very suspenseful.
Mr. Campion is a peripheral character playing a
Tom Lee
Nov 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very different from the classic whodunit one expects from the golden age of crime as exemplified by Agatha Christie and Dorothy L. Sayers. There is no genius personality to solve the mystery, just solid detective work; no neatly assembled character list confined to set locations, just people introduced in dribs and drab across the sprawling city of London; we know the murderer right from the outset, the question is whether he will be caught.

Psychologically minded and sinister in tone, the
Daniel Hiland
Aug 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Great book! Though it's presented as a mystery, it's really more of a suspense tale. Allingham is very engaging, due to her skillful way with words, especially when she describes people and their reactions. There's a lot of "Hitchcock" in many of the scenes, and this is due to the author's deft hand with dialogue, as well as the buildup of suspense. One of the things that distinguishes this from a regular mystery is the minimal involvement of Allingham's detective Campion. True, he does some ...more
LeAnne
Aug 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Book 16 of an Albert Campion mystery - Campion doesn't play a major part here but he does take note of some vital clues and is helpful to Inspector Luke. In the beginning, this was one of those books that I thought was a very odd story. Pieces of incidents seemed to occur that I wondered what does this have to do with anything or where is this going? The story takes place in England in the 1950s in several small villages and in London. But by the middle of the book, I could see how each incident ...more
Nancy
Jul 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics
Margery Allingham created one of my favorite fictional characters: Albert Campion. And, while I prefer her earlier books for their period charm, this was a crackin' good story, written at the end of her writing career in the late '50's.

Other then the fact that I missed the glimpse into the sophisticated London of the 1930's (found in the earlier books), this was an interesting psychological study. But, I missed Albert Campion as an active participant in this novel. The book holds up very well
Jean Doane
Feb 02, 2020 rated it liked it
Not Enough Campion

I have enjoyed a good half dozen or more Albert Campion mysteries. This one was as clever as the others, but Campion, himself, was noticable by his absence. He appeared in very few scenes, but had the mystery solved from the first. The author presented the main character, Gerry, as almost an antithesis to Campion. He is blonde, brilliant, and drives a Lagonda sports car. But he is a psychopath, with no ability to relate authentically. He uses people to create his complex
Maia
Jan 29, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018, 3-5
her best after mourning, i think. Shows her versatility again with a brand-new format: the thriller, for the whodunnit was then still ill-formed and flexible. This is one of the 'it all happens in a densely-packed short tight span of time' type thrillers, like '24 hours' or '13 days'. Very well written. Campion is at best an observer and is absent from most of the action and causative in almost nothing.
Bonnie
Mar 23, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Like all of Margery Allingham's books, this one easy fascinating to read. Is it fair to call it an historical mystery if the time frame (1950's) is within my lifetime. It's so entertaining, set in London, so there are some cultural and historical markers. I especially liked the way the plot unfolds, with the different characters gradually coming together into the solution.
Aug 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Even though Campion barely made an appearance in this outing, I found the story very compelling and extremely well-written. The thought of a stone cold serial killer and his one link to humanity was very thought-provoking.
Sarah Gregory
Jan 02, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this and will now read others in the Albert Campion series though I was a bit mystified about the role that Mr Campion played. Allingham is good at dramatic twists of plot and also setting the scene. I was more involved the more I read and the final scenes are thrilling.
John
Oct 07, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: noir, british
Another fine book by Allingham. She is great.

A crime novel but not a whodunnit. We follow the bad guy. An all time great bad guy. Walking evil. Heartless. Is there any humanity left in him?

Polly and Annabelle are great characters.
Carol
Sep 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is great. It's non-stop tension, that keeps you turning the pages, from the first page to the last page - but not such unbearable tension that you have to put the book down. This is the best (of about 5) Allingham Campion novels that I've read.
Paula R. C. Readman
I love Margery Allingham. Hide My Eyes is a tale of murder and betrayal. Margery Allingham is up there with the Writers, Agatha Christie, and Dorothy L Sayers.
I enjoy her plot, setting and characters.
Karina
Although some have rated this among her weaker books, I found the unusual structure of the book intriguing. Rarely do we start out with a Campion novel knowing just who the killer is, but here we know just that.
Sharla
Sep 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
There is a thread of tension running through this book from beginning to end. It's almost like a modern thriller. Campion is not featured as prominently as usual but that seems to hardly matter. This is one of the best in the series in my opinion.
Vintagebooklvr
Jun 24, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
I didn't like the pace of the novel. In some places it seemed to drag on too long and in other places it jumped too quickly from scene to scene.
Sarah Daley Rose
Lovely old lady. More "in the mind of a killer" than any other Campion book, so far. Campion back to not doing anything, but turns out that doesn't detract from the stories.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Scales of Justice (Roderick Alleyn, #18)
  • Miss Pym Disposes
  • Murder Must Advertise  (Lord Peter Wimsey, #10)
  • Lord Peter Views the Body (Lord Peter Wimsey, #4)
  • Death and the Dancing Footman (Roderick Alleyn, #11)
  • The Nursing Home Murder (Roderick Alleyn, #3)
  • Eternity Ring (Miss Silver, #14)
  • The Clock Strikes Twelve (Miss Silver, #7)
  • She Came Back (Miss Silver, #9)
  • Miss Silver Deals With Death (Miss Silver, #6)
  • Enter a Murderer (Roderick Alleyn, #2)
  • The Gazebo (Miss Silver, #27)
  • The Unpleasantness at the Bellona Club (Lord Peter Wimsey, #5)
  • The Key (Miss Silver, #8)
  • Striding Folly (Lord Peter Wimsey, #15)
  • Through the Wall (Miss Silver, #18)
  • Dead Water (Roderick Alleyn, #23)
  • Lonesome Road (Miss Silver, #3)
Aka Maxwell March.

Margery Louise Allingham was born in Ealing, London in 1904 to a family of writers. Her father, Herbert John Allingham, was editor of The Christian Globe and The New London Journal, while her mother wrote stories for women's magazines. Margery's aunt, Maud Hughes, also ran a magazine. Margery earned her first fee at the age of eight, for a story printed in her aunt's magazine.

Albert Campion (1 - 10 of 26 books)
  • The Crime at Black Dudley (Albert Campion Mystery #1)
  • Mystery Mile (Albert Campion Mystery #2)
  • Look to the Lady (Albert Campion Mystery, #3)
  • Police at the Funeral (Albert Campion Mystery, #4)
  • Sweet Danger (Albert Campion Mystery, #5)
  • Death of a Ghost (Albert Campion Mystery, #6)
  • Flowers for the Judge (Albert Campion Mystery, #7)
  • The Case of the Late Pig (Albert Campion Mystery, #8)
  • Dancers in Mourning (Albert Campion Mystery, #9)
  • The Fashion in Shrouds (Albert Campion Mystery, #10)