Start by marking “Sgt. York: His Life, Legend Legacy: The Remarkable Untold Story of Sgt. Alvin C. York” as Want to Read:
Sgt. York: His Life, Legend  Legacy: The Remarkable Untold Story of Sgt. Alvin C. York

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  211 ratings  ·  19 reviews
In a world desperate for authentic heroes, the story of Alvin C. York reminds us of the true meaning of heroism. York's bravery on the battlefield made him famous, but it was his decision to turn down the easy riches of celebrity that secured his position as one of history's greatest Christian patriots. Based on new interviews with all of York's living children, and York's ...more
Published September 15th 1997 by B Books

To ask other readers questions about Sgt. York, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sgt. York

really liked it Average rating 4.00  ·

Start your review of Sgt. York: His Life, Legend Legacy: The Remarkable Untold Story of Sgt. Alvin C. York
Mike (the Paladin)
Feb 21, 2011 rated it really liked it
I grew up in the mountains of East Tennessee. From Danial Boone's Wilderness Road to David (Davy for my generation) Crockett the next hero to take up the mantle of sharp shooting (sharp shootin') mountain hero is Alvin York. He is a surprisingly little remembered figure when his stature at the time of his exploits is considered. Most who know of him probably do so because of the Gary Cooper movie. I've had one other book about York's life (from my local library) some years ago, but this one with ...more
Richard Bennett
Apr 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
The first few chapters of "Sgt. York" told of the growing up and wild background of Alvin C. York, who finally gave his life to Christ as best as he understood, which meant NO KILLING. He became involved in his church and song director and a Second Elder, then WWI started, and he was drafted. He tried to be a conscientious objector, but the bureacracy wouldln't accept his reasons, until finally he was convinced that Peacemakers are approved by God ... in which case, he decided to fight in order ...more
Charles Crawford
Great book

The book tells the story of a truly great man . Reminds me of my father also a truly great man . He was born and raised in East Tennessee, Washington county. He spent most of his adult life serving his Lord and saviour Jesus Christ. Also for. His family, both his and his Alabama wifes, last but not least his church. Reading the book brought back many wonderful memories of my family. The book all so have me insite into one of my early hero s again great book. God bless the author!!!!!!
James
Jul 22, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Back on February 28th, 2015 I bought this Kindle ebook via one of them "Free or discounted ebooks" emails I got, for joining a group on Facebook, for only 99¢.

For five years, I'd take a peek from time to time. But last Tuesday I decided to read it.

This book isn't a puff piece on how hunky-dory Alvin C. York's life was. The 1941 movie has that corner covered.

This book covers his highs & lows. A real easy read. Especially for someone who struggles to keep interest.
Kevin Bowser
Apr 27, 2015 rated it liked it
What a great hero this man was. Full stop.

But I struggled to get through the story of his life. The author did an amazing job of detailing his life and demonstrate great and authentic research. However, there just may have been too many details and too little story line.

I plan to use several Sgt. Alvin York quotes n some of my own writing. But I think this book took me the longest elapsed time to read than any of the other books in my memory.

Maybe I will find the movie with Gary Cooper portrayin
Scooter
Mar 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
I had heard of Sgt York before reading, but had no idea how impressive this guy was. This isn't a story just about his war heroism. In fact Sgt York downplays and doesn't like to talk about WW I much. However, he loves to talk and talk he does about his big project of bringing schools to the Tennessee Mountain children. It is a life-long pursuit and it is surprising to hear of the opposition he faces. A great read and a great man. Wish I had met him. ...more
JSL
Apr 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A large section of pictures at 50%. Too small to read captions on Kindle. Better on iPad. At end a section on what a hero is. Also a list of sources and a Biblio. A good book to read, although long and sometimes drug out. York faced legal and financial problems his entire life. He never gave up on his dream of a school for his people. The Bible Institute failed but the York Institute is still going strong according to note at end of book.
J Layne
Sep 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
A large section of pictures at 50%. Too small to read captions on Kindle. At end a section on what a hero is. Also a list of sources and a Biblio. A good book to read, although long and sometimes drug out. York faced legal and financial problems his entire life. He never gave up on his dream of a school for his people. The Bible Institute failed but the York Institute is still going strong according to note at end of book.
Greg
Jun 20, 2008 rated it really liked it
Outstanding biography of the WWI Medal of Honor recipient who went on to a life of service. He made a tremendous difference for the good in his Appalachian community. If you've seen the movie about Sgt. York (starring Gary Cooper), it is a reasonably good representation of Alvin York's life through his return from the war. The book was inspiring, and well worth the read. ...more
Thomas Wictor
Apr 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This extremely engaging biography transforms the legendary mountain-man warrior into a human being. It answers the question, "What happens when your personal code says one thing, but your heart says another?"

Above all it's a book about a man, not a war.
Tom
Nov 02, 2013 rated it it was ok
Great man, terribly written book. The beginning chapters were disjointed and out of order. The event that defined York was mentioned almost in passing. Way too much detail on behind the scenes wranglings for the school. Surely there are better books than this on such a great man.
Alisa
Feb 26, 2015 rated it it was ok
This is an admirable work by Mr. Perry to recount the story of WWI hero Sgt. York. unfortunately, the book gets bogged down in so much minutiae that it is laborious to finish. Glad for the education on this fine man's life. ...more
Sean
Feb 23, 2010 rated it really liked it
It was funny reading about an American hero while living in Ireland. This book is well-written, at times it seems to pause and simply marvel at a man who deserves it. A good, easy, necessary read.
Scott Lee
An American Hero

This is a great story. There are many places where the book bogs down with too many details and so becomes tedious. A little more editing and it could have been a great book. But still very informative.
Chaplain Stanley Chapin
One you should read

I read his story and saw the movie back 60 years ago and always considered him an American hero. What I did not know was his determined mind,and dedication to religion and education. The opportunists and schemes that took advantage of him are a disgrace.
Michael
Aug 14, 2009 rated it really liked it
Wonderful story of a very unassuming person who never wanted any notoriety.
Rita Wilson
Mar 07, 2015 rated it it was ok
Great story about a true hero but very poorly written.
Rene Bourne

• Haven
  • Ted Shepard: Return to Wilmore
  • North of Denton
  • A.J. Smith

John Perry has coauthored books with John MacArthur, Richard Land, Mike Huckabee, among others and written historical books about Charles Colson, the Scopes Monkey Trials, and more. He is a two-time Gold Medallion Award finalist and lives in Nashville, Tennessee.