Start by marking “Reflecting Rogue: Inside the Mind of a Feminist” as Want to Read:
Reflecting Rogue: Inside the Mind of a Feminist

Reflecting Rogue: Inside the Mind of a Feminist

Reflecting Rogue is the much anticipated and brilliant collection of experimental autobiographical essays on power, pleasure and South African culture by Professor Pumla Dineo Gqola.
In her most personal book to date, written from classic Gqola anti-racist, feminist perspectives, Reflecting Rogue delivers 20 essays of deliciously incisive brain food, all extremely
Published August 1st 2017 by MFBooks Joburg

To ask other readers questions about Reflecting Rogue, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Reflecting Rogue

Start your review of Reflecting Rogue: Inside the Mind of a Feminist
Paul
Nov 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: feminism
This is a collection of essays, fourteen in all, which cover a range of topics, academic and personal. Some are autobiographical, as Gqola says:
“There are reflections of and on living, loving and thinking as feminist. One feminist.”
There are personal essays about motherhood, parents, education and essays about the issues within South Africa. Other essays cover those Gqola respects and reveres: all cover her experience with “racist capitalist patriarchy”. There is a brilliant essay on Femrite,
Marie Ainomugisha
Jan 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
In this mesmerizing edition of essays, we’re invited to travel through the mind of prolific Black African feminist Pumla Dineo Gqola in the most tender, terrific and thrilling ways. Pumla walks us through her journeys between childhood and motherhood while pouring in scenes of the dynamic, radiant feminist encounters and discourses she’s lived through so far.
I truly can’t wait for the next release!
Malebo Sephodi
Beautiful and gorgeous writing. Personal reflections on some of the things we think about but canot articulate.
Nelisiwe
Jul 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
While I may not agree with everything expressed in the book, this book really is a masterpiece. It is rare to find an academic open up about her life in and outside the academy. I learned so much about authenticity, the politics of higher education in South Africa from both a racialised and gendered perspective. I think this professor of African literature is my hero and I am grateful for all the authors and texts she cited!
Suzis
Aug 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I love her! LOVE HER! I've read her articles on rape culture and feminism in South Africa and they are insightful. I would highly recommend reading her.
Karina Szczurek
Sep 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Incisive and revealing. Thought/emotion-provoking. It will stay with me for a very long time.
Khethukuthula
Jul 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
I really admire Professor Gqola's ability to connect different symbolic forms whenever she raises an argument. This book has also opened my eyes when it comes to complexes of feminism.
Palesa Madupe
May 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved everything about this collection of essay, everyone should definitely read this. Care was taken when writing every essay.
enyanyo
Aug 13, 2017 rated it liked it
A woman who does not want to apologise for valuing herself is a dangerous thing.

Reflecting Rogue – Inside the mind of a feminist is a collection of essays which are the author's feminist reflections on various issues from art to parenting to academia and more.
My favourite essay was A mothering feminist's life, in which Prof Gqola talks about mothering with the help of close friends. I love the tenderness and practicality of her relationships.
I found the writing a bit too academic, which is
Yolanda
Sep 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
A very bold and honest book
Temweka

• We Need New Names
  • Ghana Must Go
  • Letter from Birmingham Jail
  • Female Masculinity
  • Black Tax: Burden or Ubuntu?
  • Reality Bites Back: The Troubling Truth About Guilty Pleasure TV
  • The Spider King's Daughter
  • Everything's Trash, But It's Okay
  • The Undercommons: Fugitive Planning & Black Study
  • Black Diamond
  • On Photography
  • An Atheist's History of Belief: Understanding Our Most Extraordinary Invention
  • Here Comes the Sun
  • Khwezi: The remarkable story of Fezekile Ntsukela Kuzwayo
  • Teaching to Transgress: Education as the Practice of Freedom
  • Practical Supervision: How to Become a Supervisor for the Helping Professions
“While there are many feminist strands, which is to say different kinds of feminism, there are also many core principles. The commitment to actively oppose and end patriarchy is one. The recognition that patriarchy works like other systems of oppression, like racism and capitalism, to value some people and brutalise others is another area of agreement. Like other systems of oppression, it also requires the support of many members of the groups it oppresses.” 10 likes