Start by marking “The Tudung Anthology” as Want to Read:
The Tudung Anthology

The Tudung Anthology

THE TUDUNG ANTHOLOGY is a women-only anthology featuring essays, fiction and comics.
This is a book about a piece of cloth, and how it is able to weave its way into the hearts of people, causing multiple and different chains of reactions.This book aims to shed light on the bigger picture, and the deeper meaning that comes with a person’s choice to either keep it or discard
Published August 19th 2017 by Matahari Books

To ask other readers questions about The Tudung Anthology, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Tudung Anthology

Start your review of The Tudung Anthology
Regina Ibrahim
Oct 27, 2017 rated it liked it
A must read, maybe you can relate to it especially if you are Muslimah from Malaysia, Indonesia, Thailand, Brunei and Singapore. The mother of all questions is it hot? sweaty? will be answered in this anthology edited by Azalia Zaharuddin.
Berkisah tentang hal hal emosi dan resah wanita diperkenalkan pada tudung, abaya, jilbab,burqa, hijab dan terma hijabisters digarap dengan 20 luahan peribadi dan fiksyen. Menarik. Tudung gambarannya buat masa ini sangatlah unik, terpalit hal hal yang mampu dide
athirah amri
Mar 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Pertama sekali aku suka introduction The Tudung Anthology. Bagi aku, pengenalan itu cukup rencah dalam menggariskan apa yang ada dalam The Tudung Anthology. Apa value yang kita sepatutnya dapat setelah selesai membaca The Tudung Anthology.

"Because let's face it, every Muslim woman has been there countless times:

"Put it on"

"Take it off."

"Are you oppressed?"

"Don't you know it's compulsory?"

"Are you terrorist?"

"Is this the latest fashion trend now?"

"Did your husband tell you to wear it?"

"Is it
Georgette
Feb 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Surprising. A range of voices from women who refused the tudung, embraced it, fought for the right to refuse or embrace it, and a couple of third parties looking in from the side. Like most anthologies, there are hits and misses. As a non-Muslim, the views from both sides were enlightening. A few pretty interesting fictional takes as well!
Veronica Liew
Aug 29, 2017 rated it liked it
While a good start to putting together an anthology of female voices - in this instance, of the tudung - I was expecting more fiction than personal essays that were written in an almost bloggish manner. I would say I enjoyed half of the writers and their stories featured here, based on strength of the stories and style of writing.
Nabilah Firdaus
Putting this on hold because I left the book at my cousin's house, ugh.
Amirullah Zulkifli
Oct 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I knew about the book when Matahari Books announced an opening for submission and ever since, I was anticipated to read the book. 7th of October 2017 - I bought the book and I loved it!

Firstly - a notable feature I love about the book is the cover. It's design cover gave a contemporary and minimalist touch that I should give two thumbs up. Secondly, the book has many new voices!

The book captures significant stories that hint the experiences of women wearing tudung which is in my case, I have nev
Atikah Wahid
Jul 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
As I am one of the writers featured in this anthology, this is an automatic 5 stars for me! I'm a little biased, just a tad.

Still, I did enjoy reading this very polarising anthology. I feel that the best way to approach this book is with an open mind without a fixed idea of what to expect. Editor Azalia Zaharuddin did not aim for a single uniformed message but a variety of diverse opinions and perspectives that really send the message home that hijabis and non-hijabis do not perceive the tudung
Hafizz Nasri
May 01, 2020 rated it liked it
A light read which relatable. Stories of tudung, shawl, hijab, baldi (?) whatever matters to cover the hair. I like that it voices out various topic according to women's struggle and perspectives about hijab-- question of one's faith and sincerity, skeptical perception/misjudgment and other's good/bad opinion.

'The Frenchman wanted me to take off my headscarf. Tell me the truth. Are you bald? Is that why you're wearing that? he asked." (The Frenchman, Az Karim)

"There was a battle going on in my h
Plainqoma
Dec 10, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2017
It is hard to rate an anthology. I love The Divide, Around the world in 80 Tudungs and The Voyage.
June Kweh
I grew up in Terengganu, so seeing Malay women donning hijab is as natural as breathing - not exaggerating. As a non-Muslim, I never really asked myself questions about that piece of cloth. That was until I started working on hair care products marketing campaigns that required me to do a lot of research on hijab-wearing women, and of course, the rise of Vivy Yusof’s Muslim fashion domination in Southeast Asia. I started thinking - is this piece of cloth a sign of oppression or liberation? I’ve ...more
Nur Aidillah
Feb 15, 2018 rated it liked it
This book is a collection of short stories by local authors in Malaysia. Although I do not want to marginalize some contributors to the collection, I do find some stories appear to be self- defensive & self-justified as why they refuse to wear the tudung. The first half of the book was quite relatable but as it gets to the second half, the stories get abit a little disturbing, even challenging the rules/pillars of Islam.

But my fav of the lot is Wind & Sunshine by Ruzy Mohamed. I guess because h
beyondlimerence
This book is a compilation of opinions and stories by writers of various backgrounds revolving the topic of the tudung aka The Hijab. It is eye-opening and made me put things into perspectives after reading some theories, thoughts and real-life experiences of these women who are both Muslims and Non-Muslims.

My thoughts on some of the pieces:

Tudung Trials by G. Zachary- She quotes Nasr Abu Zayd(a scholar) saying that the aurat and the hijab are based on socia-cultural norms, are changeable and m
Fadillah
Mar 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I'm not surprised seeing that there are bad reviews of this book came from a few 'holier than thou' men and women. After all, some of them are hell bent on forcing and imposing us on donning the hijab. I honestly like this book because I can relate to some of the stories penned by these authors. It is a sort of self discovery journey, whether it's intentional or accidental or a little bit of both. Hijab or some might call it as "that thing on your head" and what exactly it meant to you? Regardle ...more
Ayda Razak
11) Belum Muslim by Alina Burner-5/5
12) Donning th
Ms.writer
Feb 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I am Phoenix Li, one of the contributors/authors.
I wrote the story under a pseudonym, because I suspected of the dangers of revealing my real name for a largely true tale. If you live in Malaysia, or know the socio-cultural climate well, you would know how unpopular my stated observations (fictitious or not) can be.
In fact, when I showed my story to a 50-something Chinese Malaysian female, who happened to be liberal with experience in local interracial romance, she told me, "wow, your story is
Nisa
Feb 26, 2018 rated it liked it
I always find it nice hearing out other people's experiences, or beliefs, or stands on the 'tudung'. I believe everyone has each own's path on achieving that, whether early or late. The key is to always look on ourselves and take those steps either little or big :)

Why was I very interested on buying this book, was because I respect every woman's 'tudung' journey, and it's because my mum had a space for sharing her story in a book just like this one, some time ago. The book is called Bagaimana A
Natasya Pawanteh
Jul 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Nice 2 hour read. Really liked that it was a whole spectrum of voices and viewpoints and wasn’t just a one direction messaging avenue. Captures the complex relationship Malaysian Muslim (and non-Muslim) women have with the whole wearing hijab/not wearing hijab identity issue. Refreshing, open and honest takes. Also liked the writing quality. I’m always cautious about Malaysian authors (I know, biased) because a lot of the time there’s always a trying very hard aspect to their writing, and am not ...more
Joyce Shamini
Sep 03, 2018 rated it liked it
This one was difficult to review because of the wide range of ideas and perspectives presented. It was somewhat refreshing to me coming from a non-Muslim background because I've always only been told politically-correct staple answers to the tudung adoption. I enjoyed the stories for their variety and mostly the ones with crazy metaphors/juxtapositions against something so normalized (yet underexplored!) in Malaysian society. No great literary feat but very niche central theme about the tudung i ...more
Nida
Nov 13, 2019 rated it liked it
This book contains short stories from various writers on the concept of 'tudung'. The why, what, when, how or the why nots, the what t.f., the when will it be, the how to and so on so forth.
seems that they are mostly on explanations and justifications why they don't want to cover their hair etc. I did have a sliver of hope though that the one with the frenchman doesn't end too abruptly.
in the end, why did I feel mentally drained after reading this? was it the weather?
A 3.5 from me.
Nina
Jan 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I personally love the book and the authors. They are a group of supportive women who have the courage to tell their own stories and life experiences in writing.

A good read to understand better the value of struggling and fighting in tudung or hijab wearing in daily life. Everyone has different POV of what and why we have to wear it but the nawaitu remains the same, which is to fulfill the religion obligations and please our god not people.

nadiaizzaty
Aug 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
A 2nd book from Matahari book that I’ve read . TBH , it took me quite sometime to finish the book. At first , I read it then DNF for a month and decided to read it again.

Seriously , the book was so good !!! Regret I DNF it earlier . The book compiled different stories / experiences from different people regarding tudung or known as hijab/scarf .

It is not a stories from a Muslim side only . But, there are also a stories/experiences from non-Muslim too .

Totally a good book for me . 😊
Spencer
May 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Utterly fascinating look into the inner lives of Muslim women from Malaysia and all over the place. The decision making and weighing of competing interests by Malay women is deeply complicated and conflicted. I found these voices refreshing and varied. Many women choose not to wear the tudung, but many others in this book do wear and wanted to write about those experiences.

An absolute must-read!
Lina Abdul Ghani
Apr 24, 2019 rated it liked it
Mixed feelings on the book
Fuwa
I enjoyed some of the essays. The rest were mediocre.
It was a nice perspective though.
Nadine Rashid
Dec 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Helps me a lot in my tudung journey
Jan 30, 2020 rated it really liked it
Interesting opinions and perspective on the purpose of the headscarf (tudung).
Mizah Norsaipul
Sep 29, 2019 rated it liked it
The Introverted Malay
Jul 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book is suitable for those who want unabridged insight to what it's like to be a person in pre-,post- or during hijab phase in life. It's amazing because some of these writers are not even professional authors yet their writing style is great. Some of the stories actually deserve to be expanded into novels. Highly recommended.
Nur Bathrisya
Feb 16, 2019 rated it liked it
"Oppression is when someone gives you a a single option." New thing, 'oppressed' "
Manjeri

• Stop Worrying & Start Living
  • Impractical Uses of Cake
  • Harris Bin Potter And The Stoned Philosopher
  • Emergency!: True Stories From The Nation's ERs
  • Death of an Expert Witness (Adam Dalgliesh #6)
  • Constance
  • Thorn (Dauntless Path, #1)
  • The Private Papers of Eastern Jewel