Start by marking “TEOTFW” as Want to Read:
TEOTFW

TEOTFW

(The End of the Fucking World #1-7)

Fantagraphics is proud to publish this edition of TeotFW in conjunction with the 2017 television drama on UK's Channel 4 (with distribution via Netflix in the U.S.) Originally released to critical and public acclaim in 2013, Charles Forsman's graphic novel debut follows James and Alyssa, two teenagers living a seemingly typical teen experience as they face the fear of comi ...more
Published August 2nd 2017 by Fantagraphics (first published August 3rd 2013)

To ask other readers questions about TEOTFW, please sign up.
Ashley Scott The artwork and minimalistic style of the graphic novel were not for me - that said, the Netflix series stayed pretty hardcore to the plot and pulled …moreThe artwork and minimalistic style of the graphic novel were not for me - that said, the Netflix series stayed pretty hardcore to the plot and pulled some amazing visuals, situations, and emotions out of it. I'd probably skip the graphic novel & go straight to Netflix. (less)

Start your review of TEOTFW
David Schaafsma
Jun 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Update late April 2020 as I read this with my Spring 2020 growing up class. No, I have no yet seen any of the tv series episodes, though may, especially if someone tells me I just have to.

Original review, 6/15/20, somewhat edited: Y'all younguns probably knew the acronym TEOTFW was the End of the Fucking World. Cute. Like the YA novel TTYL. But not really. I had this on my TBR (see what I am doing here? so hip with my use of acronyms!) list for a long time, had tried and failed to get it throug
Fabian
Sep 12, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Impressive gonzo violence comes in such a sweet lethal package!! This gives a wicked jolt of invigorating life energy to squiggles and shapes and letters on white paper.

This is a true pictorial achievement.

The Netflix show looks promising...
Jan Philipzig
TEotFW reads like an updated, rougher version of Terrence Malick's 1974 masterpiece Badlands. While Malick's movie is narrated by a teenage girl who runs away with a charming but violent young greaser, Charles Forsman's comic book alternates the perspectives of its two young runaway protagonists. In both cases the narration is at the same time strikingly honest and fatally inept, and in both cases the female teenager turns a blind eye on the increasingly antisocial and brutal behavior of her mal ...more
♡ diasreads ♡
Have you seen the Netflix show The End of the F***ing World? If not, then you should definitely check it out. I loved that show. It was based on this graphic novel about two murderous cinnamon rolls, James and Alyssa and their seemingly innocent and simple teenage life.

description

It quickly turned somewhat morbid as James realized he's a sociopath and acts on his violent fantasies. Blinded by young love, Alyssa remained ignorant as long as she can. Their story somewhat reminded me of Bonnie and Clyde and
Zainab
If I ever come across kids this rude and ill-mannered then help me God I will strangle them.
Scott
Feb 13, 2020 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The End of the F***ing World? More like I'm glad I got to the end of this f***ing book. Centered on a protagonist who has all the charm of a wino who spent the night in a dumpster - only two pages into it and he's admitting that he killed dozens of small animals as a young teen; the bedwetting and the setting of fires must've been depicted elsewhere to complete the traditional homicidal triad - this seemed like another of one those edgy in attempt but instead tiresome in presentation 21st-centur ...more
Carmen
Jan 09, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
My head is still spinning in circles. These teenagers, these youngsters are miles away from me, from my life. I had a happy adolescence-if such a thing exists-I thought I had problems but the truth is I inhabited a bubble, maybe I still do. The great thing of art like this is that it forces you out of your bubble and makes you see that people experience life in different ways, that sometimes isolation hurts people and it makes them crave for violence as a weird sort of retaliation...that everybo ...more
Sam Quixote
Jul 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
First of all - amazing title! Second of all - AMAZING BOOK!

The End of the Fucking World (or TEOTFW) is about two teenagers, James and Alyssa, who decide to run away from home together. Their journey starts out somewhat romantic then becomes increasingly more desperate and tragic until they become like the modern Bonnie and Clyde.

I read Charles Forsman’s Celebrated Summer a couple months ago and loved its quietly devastating intensity in such a relatively short comic about a couple of friends w
Diabolica
Dec 22, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: meh
Not my cup of tea.

In as few words as possible. Was not a fan of the plot, characters and found the whole thing a little choppy. Didn't help that I wasn't too much of fan of the art.
Afro Madonna
Jan 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Netflix series of this took me by surprise and left me in the deepest of feels and absolutely shook. It was that good. I absolutely loved it and got excited when i realized it was based on this graphic novel. Netflix really did a great job of bringing the vision of this book to life and foreal y'all need to read AND watch the tv show!
Anuradha
I love books and movies of the dark comedy variety. I also have a soft corner for (well-written) teenage/high school stories. Also, the show based on this book is fucking brilliant. For these reasons, I decided to read this book, which, by the way, is incredibly hard to find. The book, however, in comparison to the show, is vastly underwhelming. Where the show was rich, complex and absolutely a delight to watch, while maintaining its original gritty undertones, the book was too bleak, too abrupt ...more
Vladimir Ćeha
Having watched the TV series, I decided to read the comic, but, to my surprise, I found it weak and even dull. The comic is told in a simple way, it's like a flat line that ends at some point, without evoking any real emotions along the way. It was interesting to see some of the episodes that were used in the TV series, but, in the end, I would recommend watching TEOTFW instead of reading it. It's one of those rare examples where the adaption is actually better than the original.
Anthony Vacca
Much like Celebrated Summer, The End of the Fucking World is a simplistic exploration of teenage alienation that is easy on the fingers to flick through. Like an indie film with a non-existent budget from the 1990s, Forsman contrives an aimless roadtrip for a pair of teenage runaways that allows them to jeer at society, intimacy and the value of life, both human and animal. To make sure that these sentiments aren't subjected to too much scrutiny, every adult they meet is either a pedophile, a sa ...more
Moi  Baltazar
“Sometimes doing the right thing feels like committing a crime.”
Konstantin
Nov 03, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Dreadfully disappointing and underwhelming; it read like barely a scratch of a story that had potential. It was nothing like the amazing Netflix series - which was the reason I read this in the first place, and which I'd highly recommend.
Kyle
Actual rating: 1.5 (rounded up)

The comic is sparse and devoid of any emotion or depth in comparison with the television series. I don’t know why I thought it’d be anything as substantial...

The black and white coloring, minimalistic art style, and rather superficial dialogue create a simplistic, (only sometimes) darkly-comedic portrait of teenage angst & alienation. But it’s ultimately forgettable in it’s lo-fi meanderings.

In any case, I’m glad I watched the show before reading this, because I do
Jack Stark
Feb 03, 2018 rated it did not like it
1.259772 stars.

You can read my more in depth review of this on my blog, where I compare the TV show and the comic - Random Melon Reads!

I love the TV show, but the comic falls flat in a number of areas. The artwork is bland and boring and the story is rushed. The characters are two dimensional and I just couldn’t connect with them. Alyssa uses a homophobic insult at one point, and as much as she was shouting it to an abusive person, I can’t condone that.

Don’t let this tarnish how good the show
Andrew
There's a lot to like in this book. I guess my favourite thing about it was the pacing and the play between the text and the art. The author definitely has a good understanding of how words and drawings go together in a comicbook.

I enjoyed the simple art style for the most part, but there were some panels that seemed a bit lazy - perhaps with stylistic intent, but I feel like they could have been refined.

The story is about a couple lost teenagers going on a disastrous road-trip (or hometown run
Zemira (Kylo Ren fangirl) Warner
Clean and simple artwork. Perfect to get into James' mind. That diner scene made me laugh at loud. Pure gold!
Tani
Aug 29, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Mediocrity at it's best. Just skip to Netflix series.
توفيق عبد الرحيم
Sep 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphicnovel
I don't remember who made this joke before but i wanted to say the title is misleading lmao
Nonetheless this comic didn't disappoint at all
such beautiful and simple story
read it all overnight and it made me feel something not sure how it is
is it the better understanding of people like james in the world who don't really understand human relations?
Is it sadness for his death?
Is it a warm feeling for the love they shared for each others and their beautiful journey?
Not really sure i am just gla
Savir  Husain Khan
Mar 05, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Two teenagers, with limited experience of the real world, go on a remiss trail. Both have a broken family and plenty of personal and emotional issues to deal with.
I have decided to read this graphic novel as I am planning to watch the Netflix series of-of same name based on this book and those who already watched it suggested me to read the book first.
I like the concept and Originality of emotions and their representation. Tale is dark and kind of showing the dark side of most of the things that
Chris Greensmith
"A few weeks later I began to think about strangling Alyssa. One night, I was ready to do it."
Rida Imran
Never watched the show. Read this cause it was short and I had the digital copy of it yesterday during blackout. Definitely did not like this.. will maybe someday right a review
Michelle Curie
"I killed my neighbours dog. I saw him curled up on his lawn. Crying. I was not [Alyssa's] protector. She was mine."

I read this after having watched The End of the F**king World on Netflix, which I started, then stopped and then just watched all the way through. It's a strange show, but it's a stranger graphic novel.

The story is about two teenagers, James and Alyssa, who are facing the fear of ... everything, really. Becoming an adult is hard enough, but it's even harder when your family is
Nazrul Islam
Yes........... it is. The end of the fucking world . But not as good as Tv series
nikita  ❤

This book is very short. I finished it in about 15-20 minutes, and I think I could have watched an episode of the series instead in that time! Even after reading the whole book, I have no idea what it was about. It didn’t leave any impact on me, and I have already forgotten the things that took place in it.

I didn’t even like the art — it was extremely simple and very boring. The story had some potential, but it wasn’t executed well.

All in all, I didn’t like it much, and I’m gutted becau
Nicay (dearnicay)
Jan 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
It's a disturbing, adventurous and f*cking good story.

At first I can't comprehend what would be the story all about, but that's the reason of the story — for us readers to go with the flow with James and Alyssa.

They were two young adults who were trying to find themselves by going on some 'weird' adventure. I still don't know what to feel about this, but the fact that no matter how flawed the characters were, I'm beginning to love them.

And I'm also shocked that Netflix adapted this comic story i
Anna Z
Jan 15, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I finished the Netflix adaption of this comic in one night and was obsessed with it. Seriously brilliant.

The source material however....is severely lacking.

The art style is overly simple. The whole book took around 5 minutes to read, and there was zero character devolopment or story devolopment. This could have really been something if it was given depth.
Pierre
A remarkably touching graphic novel. Simple yet very effective art.
Pathos, isolation, and alienation expressed through the drawn line.
Highly recommended to those who appreciate the graphic novel as art and those who never read graphic novels as an initiation to the art form.

• Aquí es un buen lugar
  • Aloha
  • Black River
  • A City Inside
  • Hazel and Cha Cha Save Christmas: Tales from the Umbrella Academy (Umbrella Academy: Hotel Oblivion)
  • Through the Woods
  • Mother Russia
  • Paper Girls, Vol. 6
  • Heartstopper: Become Human
  • Ice Cream Man, Vol. 4: Tiny Lives
  • Le bleu est une couleur chaude
Charles Forsman was born in Pennsylvania in 1982. He is arguably the most acclaimed talent to come out of the Center for Cartoon Studies, a school founded in 2004 by graphic novelist James Sturm and educator Michelle Ollie in White River Junction, VT. Forsman graduated in 2008 and is a two-time Ignatz Award-winner for his self-published minicomic, Snake Oil. He lives in Hancock, MA, where he runs ...more

The End of the Fucking World (7 books)
  • The End of the Fucking World #1
  • The End of the Fucking World #2
  • The End of the Fucking World #3
  • The End of the Fucking World #4
  • The End of the Fucking World #5
  • The End of the Fucking World #6
  • The End of the Fucking World #7

News & Interviews

“The problem with a person with a lack of love is that they don't know what it looks like. So it's easy for them to get tricked, to see things that aren't there. But then I guess we all lie to ourselves all the time.” 16 likes
“Sometimes doing the right thing feels like committing a crime.” 4 likes