Start by marking “Bubba Ho-Tep” as Want to Read:
Bubba Ho-Tep

Bubba Ho-Tep

4.11  ·  Rating details ·  982 Ratings  ·  89 Reviews
The companion book to the popular movie starring Bruce Campbell as Elvis and Ossie Davis as JFK. Stuck in an East Texas old folks home, they must face off against a redneck mummy.

Skyhorse Publishing, under our Night Shade and Talos imprints, is proud to publish a broad range of titles for readers interested in science fiction (space opera, time travel, hard SF, alien invas
Published October 1st 2005 by Night Shade Books (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Bubba Ho-Tep, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bubba Ho-Tep

Bill
Sep 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 5-star-reads
This has got to be one of the best opening lines for a story ever. (view spoiler)

An Egyptian mummy in an oversized hat and cowboy boots runs amok at Shady Rest Convalescent Home in East Texas, picking off the geriatric residents one by one. It’s up to Elvis and black JFK to put an end to the menace. That is if they can come up with a plan that doesn’t include them gettin
Gregor Xane
Jan 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
This is an excellent novella. Lansdale describes the world in which this story is set with a sort of over-the-top, vivid cynicism that forces you to laugh out loud for fear of spiraling into the depths of despair. This is wholly appropriate considering this story is set in a retirement home populated with lonely and dying elderly persons who are largely treated like humanity's dirty little secret by the staff and society at large.

Sadder still are the heroes of this story, two old men who may ha
Paul Nelson
Bubba Ho-Tep was recommended by a friend/blogger (you know who you are and my thanks for a cracking rec), so it went on the old list for consideration until I eventually got round to reading it on holiday. Wish I’d read it long before that though, what a thoroughly enjoyable tale of the elderly and mentally unstable’s battle against a supernatural entity that feeds on souls.

And with some famous adversaries in Elvis Goddamn Aaron Fucking Presley, John F Kennedy who believed his brain was in the
Zoeytron
Shady Rest Convalescent Home - an elder care residence or a home for nutters? An inordinately large number of the residents think they are celebrities - Elvis, JFK, Dillinger, the Lone Ranger.

When you get old, 'Everything you do is either worthless or sadly amusing.' A mummified soul eater is on the prowl there at the Shady Rest. During the wee small hours of the morning, Elvis and JFK have a notion. They may be old, and mayhap crazy, but worthless?
Kimberly
Oct 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Set in the Mud Creek Shady Rest Convalescent Home, we are introduced to some residents, including a geriatric man who believes he is--radically disguised--as President John Kennedy, and another who believes he is the true Elvis Presley. Landsdale describes parts of their sad, meaningless days--with most having no family that bother with them anymore. In the hands of a lesser author, this would have been depressing as hell; however, Landsdale has the ability to turn this bleak situation of societ ...more
Danger
Jan 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
A short, standalone story that is as imaginative as it is entertaining. That’s the focus here, on just telling a good tale, and Lansdale (as always) makes it seem effortless.
J.K. Grice
Oct 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: horror
BUBBA HO-TEP is just a superb novella by Lansdale. When you combine Elvis and horror...what's not to love??!! The film adaptation is also fantastic, for those of you who might have missed it. Bruce Campbell plays The King. "TCB, baby......takin' care of business".
Frau Blücher
Kurzer, knackiger, herrlich bekloppter Scheißdreck. Mit dem Bonus, die Hauptrolle automatisch mit Bruce Campbell besetzt zu haben. Gegenwehr zwecklos 😁
Steve
Oct 03, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very weird. Very strange. Very funny!
Andrew
Sep 21, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is one of those circular stories (and I am not referring to the book)- when a story spawned a film spawned a book - which encourage a friend to suggest I see the film which resulted in me stumbling across a story which I recognised. I think thats how it goes. Anyway I recognised the film for several reasons - partly from a friend who just does not stop talking about it - (plus it has the indomitable Bruce Campbell in it) to the fact there are quite a few pop culture references to it - but l ...more
Gianfranco Mancini

I loved the "Bubba Ho-Tep" movie with cult actor Bruce "Chin" Campbell as "Elvis", but Joe Lansdale's short novella was a real blast of a read!

A sad, weird and funny tale about the fight for their souls against a mummy of the old guests of a retirement house thinking to be celebrities like Elvis, Kennedy and... Kemosabe: The Lone Ranger.

Lansdale is a real master storyteller, and he really leave you in doubt that maybe old Sebastian Shaff is not just a geriatric impersonator, but the real Elvis P
Nick
Nov 08, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Love the story in this book…Elvis and JFK (who are in old age with everyone believing them to be dead) vs a Mummy in a care home. Just how do you get an idea like that!

I saw the movie when it was released and only just picked up a copy of the book, so I am well behind with the times but this is the case with everything I watch or read. I am never up with the latest must see or read.

A great mix of horror and comedy with a sense of how it feels to get old which adds a sense of poignancy.
Frank
Jan 02, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The world needs more mummy stories. Bubba Ho-Tep is the next quantum leap on the subject. Yeah, yeah. I know its been out forever and I'm late to the party. That doesn't make it any less break through.

Not only am I late to the Bubba Ho-Tep party but I'm late to the Joe Lansdale party as well. What strikes me .ost about Lansdale is how Bizarro he was before bizarro was bizarro. He is one of those horror writers on the 90s and beyond that took big chances and twisted the genre on its head. Modern
Godzilla
Feb 29, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle, quirky, 2012, horror
I'm not sure how you really avoid spoilers with a book like this!

Set in an East Texas care home, two residents must battle an ancient Egyptian Mummy to save their souls being sucked out of their asses!

Joe R Lansdale never fails to carve great characters with his words, and this is no exception. If you like your noir and horror in a quirky style then be all over this like a rash.

I know several other reviewers have quoted this passage, but it sums up the writing and the book better than any crappy
Paul
Nov 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
Great gem of a story that served as basis for the cult film of the same name. May be a little too vulgar for my strait-laced friends, and even I recoiled at some of the TMI descriptions of Elvis' aging body. Nevertheless a good story, one I'm glad to have finally read.
Neil
Mar 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
weird but amazing. loved it.
Francesco
Apr 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Storiellina agrodolce su quanto è brutto diventare vecchi, anche se sei Elvis Presley.
Luke Kondor
Oct 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
After watching the movie and seeing the novella going for 99p I couldn't say no.

The movie was good. The story is better.
Tony
Dec 18, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: science-fiction
BUBBA HO-TEP. (2003). Joe Lansdale. **.
Mr. Lansdale has created an extensive body of work in both the crime and horror genres. This novella falls kind-of in the horror category, or at least skirts around the edges. Bubba Ho-Tep is the name of a mummy who has managed to stake a claim on a nursing home, where he manages to keep himself ‘alive’ by sucking out the souls of the old people there. The fact that they die is no surprise, especially to the staff of doctors and nurses; you expect old peop
Kevin
May 01, 2010 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Hollie
Likely the most comprehensive expression of Lansdale's aesthetic, "Bubba Hotep" captures all of the author's pet motifs in a single short story, adopting as its core characters a pair of larger than life celebrities and pitting them against a b-movie horror villain. As icing on the cake, setting the story in an East Texas nursing home allows Lansdale a chance to spin out vernacular language so scatologically over the top that it possesses an odd sort of beauty. Check it: "The sun, like a boil on ...more
Madeline
Apr 29, 2008 rated it really liked it
"The sun, like a boil on the bright blue ass of day, rolled gradually forward and spread its legs wide to reveal the pubic thatch of night, a hairy darkness in which stars crawled like lice, and the moon crabbed slowly upward like an albino dog tick striving for the anal gulch."

I think the best writing is writing that provokes a physical reaction. Lansdale makes my booty lock up.
Nathaniel Brehmer
Nov 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This was a hoot. Pure entertainment value. So grungy it feels like it's been it's been scraped off the floor of an alley, and in this case it's a good thing. Read it if you liked the movie, it's a great, quick read. Lansdale's voice is truly unique.
Matt
Feb 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ebooks
Good short story. A little vulgar, but that doesn't bother me. I like how he explains Elvis's presence in the retirement home and why he is still alive. Good stuff.
Corky
Feb 16, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: horror
This may be my favorite book ever. Lansdale is the best. Its actually just a short story. A must see movie. Bruce Campbell IS Elvis!!(at 70)
Trev Twinem
Jan 29, 2014 rated it liked it
fun read but not my fav this year.....
Emanuele Corsi
Mar 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
(scroll down for english)
Se non vi piace lo stile di Lansdale, le metafore fantasiosamente sboccate, la decadenza dei personaggi, la presa in giro... insomma, lasciate perdere. Questo racconto lungo è Lansdale in tutta la sua gloria. Anche solo l'idea (nata in modo elaborato, a giudicare alla sua stessa prefazione) rasenta il puro genio (folle). Non sapremo mai se le identità dei due protagonisti siano vere o frutto della loro fantasia, ma poco conta. Ciò che importa è che Lansdale riesce a far
Jon Robison
Oct 29, 2017 rated it liked it
short story, and I'm not really a fan of the length, I'm not used to the pacing, etc. I did enjoy the book though, I think I liked the book better than the movie (surprise surprise) but that might have been different if the movie budget included more than JUST Bruce Campbell. I mean student films could have done a better job on the mummy and the (movie only) scarab. The movie also captured the Elvis attitude well as presented in the book. Maybe the book wasn't actually great, the movie was just ...more
Kaisersoze
Bubba Ho-Tep is a decent, fun read which is extremely tongue in cheek, but which did little to wow me in the way that so many other readers seem to have been wowed.

Maybe it's because I'm too young (it's not often I get to use that phrase any more) to have been alive during the Kennedy or Elvis eras. Or maybe it's because I saw the movie first and so there were few surprises here.

Regardless, I'm sure Lansdale fans will eat it up and it did nothing to dissuade me from chasing down more of his wor
Kieran McAndrew
Oct 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Elvis is alive, but far from well, in an East Texas nursing home. Forgotten by everyone, the King of Rock and Roll waits to die. Until he finds former President John F. Kennedy (hiding out as a Black man since the failed assassination attempt in 1963) has been attacked. Some things need to be sorted out for free Americans everywhere.

As much about the feelings of helplessness and indignity of getting old as it is about a hideous, soul sucking monster, "Bubba Ho-Tep" is a fascinating read. Thank y
Ron
Jun 11, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Elvis and JFK Save The Day

This novella is best read at 3 A.M. Took a while to get going, but once Elvis and JFK get together on a joint mission, they truly save the day and the lives of the other residents residing in their East Texas rest home.
  • Metallic Dreams
  • Creepy Archives, Vol. 1
  • Alone
  • The Cats of Ulthar
  • Dagon Rising (Clickers #3)
  • Crawl
  • The Haunted Forest Tour
  • The Rain Dancers
  • The Cormorant
  • The Venus Complex
  • Skin Medicine
  • Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter: The Laughing Corpse Ultimate Collection
  • Alleinstehender Psychopath sucht Gleichgesinnte (Andrew Mayham, #2)
  • Zippered Flesh: Tales of Body Enhancements Gone Bad!
  • 山田くんと7人の魔女 7 [Yamada-kun to 7-nin no Majo 7] (Yamada-kun and the Seven Witches, #7)
Champion Mojo Storyteller Joe R. Lansdale is the author of over forty novels and numerous short stories. His work has appeared in national anthologies, magazines, and collections, as well as numerous foreign publications. He has written for comics, television, film, newspapers, and Internet sites. His work has been collected in more than two dozen short-story collections, and he has edited or co-e ...more
More about Joe R. Lansdale

• Burying the Honeysuckle Girls
  • Ilsa: A Novel
  • Into the Free
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Persian Boy (Alexander the Great, #2)
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Get It Together, Delilah!
  • Mademoiselle Chanel
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Abundance: A Novel of Marie Antoinette (P.S.)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Whisper Beach
    $8.49 $1.99
  • Isabella: Braveheart of France
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Queen of Swords (Wilderness, #5)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Orphan Master's Son
    $12.99 $1.99
  • Sisters One, Two, Three
    $4.99 $1.99
  • This Is Your Life, Harriet Chance!
    $15.95 $1.99
  • I Am Livia
    $3.49 $0.99
  • In Love & Trouble: Stories of Black Women
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Play of Death (The Hangman's Daughter, #6)
  • Requiem for a Dream: A Novel