Start by marking “The Kingpin of Camelot (A Kinda Fairytale, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Kingpin of Camelot (A Kinda Fairytale, #3)

The Kingpin of Camelot

(A Kinda Fairytale #3)

The Queen: Guinevere must save Camelot. Ever since Arthur died, the evil Scarecrow has been trying to marry her and gain the crown. If she and her daughter are going to survive his mad schemes, Gwen needs to find Merlyn’s wand. Fast. Unfortunately, the only man strong enough to help her on her quest is Kingpin Midas, a flashy, uneducated mobster dealing with a curse. Gwen ...more
Published July 31st 2017 by Star Turtle Publishing

Aisling Zena
Aug 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Aisling Zena by: Ilona Andrews
4.5 Happily Ever After stars

One of the best fairytale retellings I've ever read! Cassandra Gannon took all the fairytales and myths and turned them on their heads. When Ilona Andrews recommended this book on their newsletter I was immediately fascinated, rather like a vampire smelling blood. And much like a vampire I really had to stick my teeth in it. I even read it out of order!
description
Believe me I paid for it. My brain would not shut up about how much better it would be if I read the others first.
Somia
16th April 2019

This fun spin/retelling of the myth of Camelot remains my favourite, and I still prefer the ending in Gannon's story to what happens in the original tale.

24th Feb 2019:

This remains a fab read, one I can always get lost in.

26th October 2018:

There's something about this book, I have a habit of re-reading it quite a bit. Gannon has created an engaging collection of characters, a narrative which surprised me. A good twist on the original story, this book has humour, charm and characte
Corina
Sep 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
4.5 amazed stars

WOW this book made one hell of an impression on me!!!!!

First, Ilona Andrews recommended this book, and that woman rarely recommends books, so I immediately paid attention and I was so glad I did because this book ROCKED!!!

I love fantasy. But even more so I love books that color outside the box. When authors take a genre, or an idea and put it on its head - color me intrigued!!!

The Kingpin of Camelot was my first book by Cassandra Gannon but it won't be my last. She impressed the
Lakshmi C
Nov 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
New favorite book alert!!!!

Why do I love this story?

There is so much going on. I prefer plot driven stories over character driven stories. This is fast paced and there are so many questions to be answered, tropes I love and enemies to slay.

Marriage of convenience, A prison break, All the toys you can imagine, A king slaying queen, A coup.

Who is Avalon's real father? Who is Midas's True Love? What happens when Gallahad returns? How did Arthur die? Where is the wand?

Shopaholic, collector Midas.

A b
boogenhagen
Aug 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
If you like fairytale pastiche with some twists and sex, these are the books for you and they are completely addictive. I have had so much fun with these books.....
DemetraP
Aug 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book and it's going on my keeper shelf to re-read. It was so funny that I kept laughing out loud.

I also liked how hard Midas tried to make Gwen and her daughter like him.

Examples of funny quotes:
"He picked up a remote control and clicked on his two-story high fireplace, in case she was cold. The mantle was made of yellow bricks. Damn Munchkins had charged him an outrageous amount for each and every one, but they were the best."

She crossed her arms over her chest, remindin
BookPauper
I've been in a book slump and I blame Ilona Andrews. After reading the Hidden Legacy series I have varying degrees of dissatisfaction with everything else I read. I'm not saying I haven't really liked some of the books I've read since, but I keep going back, wanting more Mad Rogan and Nevada. The struggle...totally real.

So I was trolling the Ilona Andrews blog for, I don't know, surprise news that another HL book is coming out right this minute and I saw this post instead. I love fairytale ret
Julia
3 struggle bus stars.

I definitely struggled with this one. The first two in the series were *beyond* amazing. I was so happy I found this author and her style of story telling. Finding a good book now is like finding a needle in a very crowded, horny, and tacky haystack.

While I still enjoyed it, somewhat, I found myself picking it up and putting it down and never getting really invested with the story or the characters. I found the heroine to be extremely dense and a bit of a square. The autho
Georgie-who-is-Sarah
Feb 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
A delightful "feel-good" book. Why aren't there more?

Top-notes of Pratchett (well-worked-out fantasy world) overlay a really charming romance. After Arthur's untimely (and suspicious) death, beleaguered Guinevere takes refuge from the Evil Scarecrow with top crook Midas (who rocks a "purple pinstriped sharkskin tuxedo"). To his chagrin,
His decades of professional villainy weren’t enough to convince her he was able to take care of himself.  She looked concerned for him..."I would hate for you to
Lacey (Booklovers For Life)
ABSOLUTELY LOVED!!! Cassandra Gannon is my favorite author of fairytales/retellings and this series is one of the BEST in the genre that I've ever read. The Kingpin of Camelot is a play on Midas and King Arthur - I loved Gwen and Midas' story SO much. It's hilarious and sweet, with a single mother heroine who thinks she's almost-Bad and a hero who worships her and thinks he's not good enough for her but is having her anyway. I'm dying for more already!
Carly
"I want the Contract to say you can't get jewelry from any other man."
"Now you're just reacting emotionally, again. It's not your fault." She patted his cheek. "You're a very passionate man. It clouds your logic sometimes."
"Clause 14 - 'Renegotiation of Contract' says I can renegotiate at any time." He insisted, panting for oxygen. "That's very logical. I want the contractual right to slaughter any bastard who gives my wife so much as a paperclip."
"We'll discuss it later, when you're not overcom
Ana
If you like Ilona Andrews and great, funny banter in a fantasy setting, read this book! It's so awesome! I have no more words, only an endless supply of giggles and happy sighs! READ IT.
Mari (Smut Duchess)
Aug 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017, fantasy
This was a fun KU read. King Arthur was a drunk and an idiot. Now he's dead and Camelot is on the verge of being taken over by the evil Scarecrow. Guinevere (Gwen) must save the kingdom and her 'bad' daughter Avalon from the Scarecrow's plans to get rid of all the 'baddies'. There's only one man powerful enough to stand against the Scarecrow.........Midas, the criminal kingpin of Camelot and former member of the group therapy sessions at the Wicked, Ugly and Bad Mental Health Treatment Center an ...more
Kimberly
Aug 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Every so often you find an author and wonder why you've never heard of them before. I felt this way about Ilona Andrews, Charlaine Harris, Kristen Ashley, and Laurell K Hamilton. It doesn't happen as often with the creation of Goodreads so finding one is like finding a gemstone. Cassandra Gannon is one of those authors. Not only is her writing lovely, but she has put a new twist on fairy tales, and I honestly didn't think that was possible.

I loved this book. And even though I jumped to #3 in th
Stephanie
Sep 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I bought this fun, steamy adult fantasy romance after reading this detailed & persuasive review of it from Ilona Andrews: http://www.ilona-andrews.com/kingpin-...

- and basically I TOTALLY agreed with her on this one. :) The world-building is wacky, everything about this story is wildly over-the-top, and yes, the manuscript could have done with a copyedit - but the whole book is utterly hilarious, adorable and fantastic and I loved every minute of it. I laughed out loud MANY times as I was re
Skylar
Aug 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
The Kingpin of Camelot had so much low-angst goodness. If you like fairy tale romances, this is your book. Midas and Gwen agreed on a marriage of convenience, soon the equal partnership became much more. It was endearing to read their POVs about one another. The secondary characters (especially Avalon and Trystan) and creativity Gannon put in this story gave it amazing demention.
Midas was a step above the billionaires that are so common in romances. His curse (turning anything living he touche
Stephaniec
Sep 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy-romance
Love Love Love this book......this world is ridiculous and awesome
Elaine
Dec 15, 2018 rated it liked it
The Kingpin of Camelot is the weakest book in the A Kinda Fairytale series in my opinion. I still liked this book but not as much as the first two in the sereis. I didn't love it and it took me quite a while to actually finish it. It dragged a little for me. It's very creative but at the same time a little all over the place. I liked Midas and Avalon but Gwen didn't convince me. And Midas' and Gwen's romance didn't really come to life for me. Also, the book was a little repetitive. Sadly, it did ...more
Malinda
5 stars

** FYI, a couple items of info in this review might be considered spoilers...I don't really think so but just in case, this is your fair warning**

I loved this story! The story was interesting and the characters were great...what's not to love?!?! This is the first story I've read by this author and I liked it well enough that I'm definitely going to be trying out more of her work. Obviously, I haven't read the first 2 books in the series and I don't think that's necessary...there were som
Mystique
May 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: recommended
5+++ reads. Finally a good book that was incredible with character development, plot and uniqueness.
Loved it!
I will be giving all the books in this series a shot !
a definite keeper!
Mirabella
cassandra gannon has outdone herself again! up until now the treasure of the fire kingdom was my absolute favorite book, but this one even tops it! it has everything I want a book to have: a wonderful lovable heroine, an absolute adorable hero, great side characters, a funny and amusing writing style and a beautiful love story with an unique word building and interesting villains. H/h were it for each other since they first laid eyes on one another, they were both very possessive and jealous and ...more
farmwifetwo
Sep 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: paranoramal
It was an Ilona Andrews recommend on their blog. Overall, I liked it. I could have used a little more editting, tighened up the story a bit, stopped the repeating phrases of our H/h which started to feel like, cut/paste/repeat. Instead the plot/place and time could have been expanded a bit.

That's just being picky because it started to get annoying after a bit. Not enough to stop, just enough to eye-roll and ignore.

The premise was good, thc place/time well formed and the characters interesting.
Tori
Sep 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Originally posted at Smexybooks-http://smexybooks.com/2017/09/42962.html

B+

I adore modern fairytale adaptations. Add in humor and mayhem and I’m hooked-line and sinker. Ilona Andrews recently blogged about a book she and her husband read and thoroughly enjoyed-Cassandra Gannon’s A Kingpin in Camelot. Andrews touted it as the perfect bit of escapism so I picked it up, read it, and must say I agree 100%. Though this is the 3rd in a series, it read perfectly as a standalone.

Set in an unknown place a
Bungluna
Sep 05, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy-romance
This book was a delightful mishmash of fantasy, fictional and fairy tale characters living in a sort-of contemporary world. Urban fairy fantasy, perhaps?

The Scarecrow has taken over Camelot after Arthur's untimely death. He's thrown Gwen in the dungeon until she agrees to marry him and legitimize his claim to the thrown. Gwen, being a heartless, enterprising woman, breaks out and grabs her daughter Avalon and runs for shelter with Midas, the kingpin of Camelot's underworld. Romance and adventure
Mskychick
Aug 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
I bought this book because of Ilona Andrews' recommendation.
It's funny and the ending has a great twist. Now I need to read books 1 & 2!
MB (What she read)
3.5 stars.

This book was recommended by Ilona Andrews and is available through Kindle Unlimited. This was thoroughly enjoyable and a very nice twist on the fairy-tale genre. The two main characters are very sweet together. Supporting characters are great too. Of the three in the series (thus far), this was my favorite. It still needs copy-editing but was not so mistake-laden as the previous two.
Gnome Claire *Wishes she was as cool as Gnome Ann*
I really really enjoyed this. It's really funny, it's really sweet and the plot was really fun. I loved all the characters- Midas and Gwen were great and I loved their relationship but Avalon and Trystan were also brilliant characters, it was so sweet the way Avalon had everyone wrapped around her little finger.
Gena
Aug 14, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Loved Midas and Gwen. Would have been rated higher but it took the whole book for True Love. I realise why but am impatient for the happy ever afters :) Avalon and Trystan are awesome secondary characters and I really want Trystan to have his own book.
Tracy  C
Jul 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I LOVE THESE BOOKS!! This was so clever and amusing. Midas was such a wonderful Baddie and Gwen was his perfect True Love. The cast of characters are so fantastic, I wish there was more in the series! Can't wait for the next one.
Sep 02, 2017 marked it as to-read
Recommended to Sarah by: Ilona Andrews
This got the Ilona Andrews stamp of approval so that makes it a must read in my eyes!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• The Queen's Gambit (Rogue Queen, #1)
  • Gods and Ends (Ordinary Magic #3)
  • The Art of Deception
  • Tsumiko and the Enslaved Fox (Amaranthine Saga, #1)
  • Dark Minds (Class 5, #3)
  • Kismet's Kiss (Alaia Chronicles)
  • Bones of the Fair (Darest, #2)
  • Rings of Anubis (A Folley & Mallory Adventure, #1)
  • Sweep of the Blade (Innkeeper Chronicles, #4)
  • The Snow Queen's Captive (Once Upon a Time Travel, #3)
  • Amid the Winter Snow
  • My Lady Quicksilver (London Steampunk, #3)
  • El libro de la sacerdotisa (Saga Vanir, #2)
  • Salvage Rights (Distant Worlds, #2)
  • Hollie Porter Builds a Raft (Revelation Cove #2)
  • Night Wind's Woman (Santa Fe Trilogy, #1)
  • The Forests of Dru (Sorcerous Moons, #4)
  • Princess Ahira

A Kinda Fairytale (4 books)
  • Wicked Ugly Bad (A Kinda Fairytale, #1)
  • Beast in Shining Armor (A Kinda Fairytale, #2)
  • Happily Ever Witch (A Kinda Fairytale, #4)