Start by marking “Burn The Fairy Tales” as Want to Read:
Burn The Fairy Tales

Burn The Fairy Tales

Kill the prince. Give the princess a sword. Send her into battle. Watch her win. This poetry book is a work of feminist self-empowerment for women and of understanding for men. It deals with love, loss, self discovery, self love, grief, and inspiration.
Published July 29th 2017

Start your review of Burn The Fairy Tales
Katie.dorny
May 17, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018
I just sat here and read through this in one go.
It definitely called out every patriarchal bullshit rule we have today in society.
But it wasn't mind-blowing poetry - it said what I was thinking as a feminist, but it didn't say anything new or in a new way.
But it was worth a read just as a confidence booster alone.
Alicia Cook
Sep 01, 2017 rated it did not like it

From the cover alone I had a feeling it was going to be a knock off of Amanda Lovelace's The Princess Saves Herself in this One. The book description solidified my theory even more.

I got it for free via Kindle and found my assumptions/presumptions to be true. The cover, book description, and even the TOC look eerily similar to Lovelace's. But where Lovelace lifts women up TOGETHER, this author decided to lift a percentage of women by bringing down other women. In one of her pieces, she insults
Julia (ten_thousand_books)

upon the wicked

5/5 stars!
Kristen
Dec 16, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I’m all for books empowering women and being about feminism, but this book isn’t that. It’s honestly s lot of man-hating and it’s quite conflicting — you don’t need a man but HEY YOU FALL IN LOVE WITH ME.

So I was on the fence with it but completely hopped on the side of NOPE when I go to the middle of the book and read a poem basically saying hey, I need you to share this book it’s everyone so I can make a living. If your book is good, I will. Don’t tel me to share the book, let your words spea
twiinklex
Jun 10, 2018 rated it did not like it
Burn The Fairy Tales? More like... burn this book.

Just because you
write like this
does not make
a poet

When will people get it? It's like anyone can self-publish anything these days. This is not a poetry book. It's just random quotes and words strewn together.

The content itself feels unoriginal, like a bad knock-off of the strong, mysterious and inspiring Amanda Lovelace. Or a Rupi Kaur and Nikita Gill wannabe. There's a lot of man-hating and you-don't-say spew. The author, instead of being ins
Jess ✩
Jan 18, 2018 rated it did not like it
What

What was this. What was this format. Just... WHAT WAS THIS MESS. I really don't recommend this to anyone, cause wow.
Maks Javinar
Jul 09, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: poetry, pale
All I read are rants written in a book that is so called poetry :(
Rachel Nicole Wagner
Good Thoughts

Good thought but bad layout in kindle edition. It made it really hard to decipher. However, what I did understand was good and quite motivational.

Xo,
Rach
Karina
May 30, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: poems
I really love the title of this book - which is the reason why I picked this up. But that's where it all ended. This is disappointing. The format was so confusing. The writing wasn't really impressive. It was OKAY. I wasn't really satisfied, but since I appreciate the messages of some poems, I am still giving it 3 stars.
Wendi
Sep 03, 2020 rated it did not like it
Shelves: poetry-and-prose
Whatever that is I just read is not poetry. It's just a rant against men and how women don't need them. Except Obama who is apparently the only good man that ever lived. Oh and there's a small rant about the GOP thrown in.

It's also filled with misspelled words and the layout is terrible.
Holly
Apr 23, 2019 rated it did not like it
I'm liberal, but some of the poems in this book were a bit too extreme for me. I found a lot of the same messages being repeated in a way that was a bit annoying to me. Some were good though. The self-promotion through poems though was a bit off-putting.
ThePhoenix93
Jan 06, 2018 rated it liked it
A positive little book, not really poetic, but is short and to the point. A comfort read when you're feeling down and need to be reminded of your own strenght, but I wouldn't exactly call it poetry. Love the idea and the messages behind it.
Kylie
Jan 30, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: poetry, read-in-2018
"you are not the damsel in distress you are the dragon bringing fear to the hearts of men so breathe your fire and unleash your strength on the world"
Steph
Apr 09, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: poetry, 2018
I’m torn on this one. On one hand, a lot of the entries felt trite, as though I had read them before in Tumblr posts. But on the other hand, I felt that perhaps a younger version of me would get a lot out of such a book. Idk. At my age, this just felt too trendy and some pieces were a bit condescending.
Shannon O'Connor
Feb 27, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2019
Bleh

Okay so I really wanted to like this book and although it having several points worth highlighting, it was so basic and I felt like it didn’t have any purpose. It was trying too hard to be something, where the poems seemed unoriginal and uninspiring
Amanda Frontera
Aug 21, 2017 rated it it was ok
Some poems were really great, but overall some verses felt like the poet was trying way too hard. Lots of poems felt very tumblr -ish and we're only one sentence long.
Story of a Book Reader
Nov 16, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: thumbs-down, poetry
No. Just no. DNF: 15%
Andrea
Feb 08, 2018 rated it did not like it
ew another work by a man-hating feminazi who clearly needs to get laid and be loved
Jamie (Books and Ladders)
Actual Rating: 2.5*

I thought this was good but it wasn’t great? There were some good thoughts in this but it didn’t feel like poetry. It felt like motivational posters in a poetry layout and I would have liked a bit more to it than that. I think it had some good thoughts but nothing that really made me want to read more by the author. I had a hard time with how the author discussed men and the idea that certain women were better than others. And the description of feminism was ... lacking to say
Emily Kenney
May 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Honestly I couldn’t put it down !! It took me 1 hour and 25 mins and I am only 13 and I felt amazing after reading this book it has put a whole new perspective on what I think of myself and I can happily say that it is one of the best books I have read 5/5 ⭐️
Unity
Jun 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Kill the Prince, you don't need him and fuck everyone who says you do. Love yourself more than anyone else for it is you who will wake up with you every morning and it is you who will be there in middle of the night. Not any one else.

"you
were meant
for greatness

were meant to conquer

are more
than you seem

you
are a hero in the making."
Lovelene Pearl
May 31, 2020 rated it liked it
I have my favorites and I also have my idc lists of poems
Sara
Aug 12, 2018 rated it did not like it
In case you hadn’t noticed, I went from reading no poetry over the course of my life to reading a ton of poetry in 2018. I’m not sure what happened, really, other than I started using my library a lot more and I have made more bookish friends. Anyway, Gerry recommended that I read this, not in a “wow, I really loved it” way but more in a “hmm, I didn’t like it and I think you won’t like it either but I’d like to hear your thoughts” kind of way. In other words, I was basically advised to hate-rea ...more
Bryan
Dec 27, 2017 rated it did not like it
Either this chick didn't have a father figure hug her in her childhood or her advances were rebuffed by the star Quarterback in high school. either way, I have never seen so much raw hatred for a particular gender. Men would be labeled a misogynist for half of the hate spewed from this book and publicly shamed. I would have to say maybe misandric people need to have the same thing done to them.

I would have to say this gal really needs to see a therapist and I will pray that she can one day find
Alison
Sep 14, 2017 rated it did not like it
At least it's a short book...

I am so glad that this book was so short because, quite honestly, I don't think I would have read a page more. It reminds me so much of that I Wrote This For You junk that is apparently very popular amongst the "youth". To me it was just a duck ton of repetition and cliches that are so old it's sad. Also, the middle of the book poem begging for sales is really just the icing on the cake of sadness.
Arden
Nov 20, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: kindle-unlimited
There are some good messages in this collection, but not good poetry.

I know that poetry is ultimately a very subjective experience, but I believe that poetry should always be about care for the language--how each word pairs together, flows into the next, for sounds and senses and syntax--and there was no care expressed in these poems. I guess this collection might resonate differently with someone else, but with the lack of poetic language, it just didn't hit home for me.
Caseyjadehall
Apr 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
“AFTER THE FAIRIES BURN”

The book that I chose to review is “Burn the fairytales.” It is written by Adeline Whitmore. It is a collection of poetry that is approximately one hundred and fourteen pages long. The poetry book covers various topics in relation to feminism and various situations that involve heartbreak. The poetry book begins by mentioning that a woman is, in fact, still whole without a man. A woman is said to be much more than a man just by merely existing alongside them. Women have t
Alexa
Sep 07, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: reviewed
Disclaimer: Burn The Fairy Tales is free on Kindle Unlimited. I would strongly advise against reading this book of poetry on the Kindle, and not because of anything Adeline Whitmore likely had anything to do with. The Kindle formatting is just awful; the titles of many poems have been smashed against the ends of others, making for quite a lot of confusion and thoroughly ruining any flow the book may have had. I am strongly considering purchasing a hard copy of the book and possibly re-reviewing ...more
Alex Meeks
This is a quick read. If you don't like it, you only lost about 20 minutes. If you do like it, I'm sure you could spend hours poring over the verse. Note that the formatting in the Kindle version seems like it's probably a little off. Things sort of run into each other in ways that don't seem intentional.

The purpose and point of this book are great and powerful. The execution, though... was not my favorite. I'm not going to say it's bad poetry (in its worst moments, it's still better than the ve
Kevin Alexander
Dec 18, 2019 rated it it was ok
« previous 1 3 next »

• For The Broken
  • Bright Minds Empty Souls
  • She Was The Storm
  • Things I Learned in the Night
  • in the absence of the sun
  • Her Favorite Color Was Yellow