Start by marking “The Mammoth Book of Monsters” as Want to Read:
The Mammoth Book of Monsters

The Mammoth Book of Monsters

Everybody knows the most memorable monsters--vampires, werewolves, zombies, mad scientists' creations--and you will find all of those classic creatures suitably featured in this monsterrific new anthology from multiple award-winning editor Stephen Jones.

But other monstrosities are also ably represented within these pages...

An academic goes in search of a mythological creat
Published June 12th 2007 by Running Press

To ask other readers questions about The Mammoth Book of Monsters, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Mammoth Book of Monsters

Shawn
May 08, 2010 rated it really liked it
With this MAMMOTH BOOK OF MONSTERS, there's an interesting case to be made for a definition of the specific sub-genre of "the monster story". While the monster story can, and usually is, a subset of horror fiction, it can also be subset of science fiction or fantasy. In any case, the point is the same - the monster itself and its presentation is the main focus of the text. Oh there's still usually a plot, conflict, etc., but an effective creature feature makes it obvious that the nefarious being ...more
Morgan
Not as hit-or-miss as some horror anthologies I've read, probably for a good part because it's culling from some of the genre's greats for stories of a particular theme. Some of them worked for me better than others -- The Medusa, I think it was called, I couldn't even get through -- but for the most part, it held up pretty well, and there were definitely more good stories than bad. A few that stick in my mind as especially good are
Our Lady of the Sauropods (Robert Silverberg), The Hill (Tanith
Bogdan
Jan 28, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: horror
he Mammoth Book of Monsters Anthology este prima antologie tematica a lui Stephen Jones pe care o citesc. Acesta s-a specializat in asemenea culeri de texte mamut cu tenta horror, avand in portofoliu antologii cu teme variate, cum ar fi : The Mammoth Book of Terror (1990), The Mammoth Book of Vampires (1992),The Mammoth Book of Zombies (1993), The Mammoth Book of Frankenstein (1994), The Mammoth Book of Werewolves (1994), The Mammoth Book of Vampire Stories by Women (2001), The Mammoth Book of B ...more
Galo
Aug 29, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: short-fiction
Cutting to the chase, the stand-out stories are: Ramsey Campbell's Down There, R. Chetwynd-Hayes' The Shadmock, Nancy Holder's Cafe Endless: Spring Rain, Sydney J. Bounds' Downmarket, Robert E. Howard's The Horror from the Mound, Jay Lake's Fat Man, Brian Lumley's The Thin People, Basil Copper's The Flabby Men, Robert Holdstock's The Silvering, Michael Marshall Smith's Someone Else's Problem, Clive Barker's Rawhead Rex, and Kim Newman's The Chill Clutch of the Unseen.
Kristine
Sep 20, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I love a good monster story, and this novel is full of them. Usually in an anthology there's always, either, a few stories that aren't as good as the others or completely stink; or, there's only a few medicore to excellent stories and the rest are trash. But this collection is one of the few exceptions to the rule. All the stories in this novel are great or better.
Jessie Banach
May 08, 2012 rated it it was ok
I skipped most of the stories in this book after a page or two of each. Nothing stood out, and very little was well written. Blah all the way around.
Graham
Aug 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: anthology, horror
A late addition to the Stephen Jones anthologies that were popular some twenty years ago, THE MAMMOTH BOOK OF MONSTERS gathers together a number of monstrous short stories from mostly modern authors. It's a mixed bag for sure, but one with a high number of gems contained within.

David J. Schow's VISITATION is a full-blooded opener, snappy and brief and with Grand Guignol-style goings-on. It couldn't get more over the top if it tried, but it's a barnstorming entrance to the anthology. This is foll
Stacey
As is the case with most anthologies, this was a mixed bag so 3 stars is an average for the collection as a whole. There were stories that were brilliant, others that were pretty good, a handful that were mediocre, and the almost obligatory one or two that were just solid nopes. The monsters of the title were a pleasantly varied mix with classics like vampires and zombies, some fun new inventions like the Shadmock, and even one or two "monsters" of non-supernatural origin.

Individual story rating
AJS
Mar 06, 2019 rated it it was ok
Slim pickings. Out of 22 stories, I only enjoyed 5; the other 17 gave me some excuse to stop reading them. Here are the five that I enjoyed :

3 - "Our Lady of the Sauropods" by Robert Silverberg - a science fiction story with an intriguing premise, ruined by a silly ending (and the inspiration for Jurassic Park?).

3.5 - "The Thin People" by Brian Lumley - a readable story that seems better than it is because the other stories in the book are terrible.

5 - "The Hill" by Tanith Lee - an excellent sto
Edward Taylor
Apr 05, 2019 rated it liked it
Some shined, some were dim, and some it seemed as if the light had gone out at the worst time. Anthologies are always hit or miss, but many of these seem to be of the latter. I did like a few that stood out among the herd such as the perennial favorite of RL Howard in "The Burial Mound", the claustrophobic and very "Lost World" type of H.G. Wells in .220 Swift (which also is part of the Lovecraftian Universe as well as Manly Wade Wellman) as well as "The Spider's Kiss" by Christopher Fowler.

It's
Larry
Feb 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Fun read! I especially liked The Flabby Men (Lovecraft pastiche) and The Silvering (selkies). Only one or two weak stories.
Frederic Van Laere
Nov 20, 2018 rated it liked it
Ongelijke kwaliteit tussen de verschillende kortverhalen.
Rahul
Nov 17, 2011 rated it liked it
It seems the focus here was to keep the definition of a monster as flexible as possible, going beyond the usual vampires, werewolves and ghouls to even weirder creations of the human imagination.Worry not, fans of the good old monsters; Vampires and werewolves and even Godzilla himself are here, just not in the form you would expect.

The quality of stories here is usually first-rate, and you can be sure some of the newer monsters are going to stick with you for a long time.We start with Visitatio
Tanner Ashley
Jun 19, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Boring stories ever!

So boring! I tried to read .... So boring!
Editor pick boring authors for ideas of monsters. It is not what a Imagines!
Katie Cat Books
Dec 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
If you are tired of reading horror stories that leave you bored and unsatisfied, then read this book! Full of thrilling, scary, nightmare-inducing monsters, read this one in the dark!

Pacing: This Mammoth collection has more longer tales than other Mammoth collections. While there are a few shirt ones, be prepared to either read a long story or put down the book multiple times in the middle of a tale.

Characters: Monsters! These are for the most part, the monsters of nightmares. Invented, fangs, h
Snigdha
Jul 02, 2015 rated it it was ok
This collection of stories about monsters includes appearances of some all time favourites such as vampires and werewolves, the Medusa and Godzilla and a bundle of strange creatures such as Shadmocks, Flabby Men and Flat Men.
The two classiest stories in the collection were The Hill by Tanith Lee and The Shadmock by R. Chetwynd-Hayes. And I say classy because these stories were written with a flair, as opposed to the numerous tales written to give cheap thrills. Some tales in this collection abo
D.M. Dutcher
Feb 17, 2012 rated it liked it
Large collection of somewhat atypical or random monster stories. All of them are decently written, with no real stinkers or padding in the anthology, but it's a wide enough range where you will only like some of the tales. I liked Robert Holdstock's Silverling best of all, because he is a very unappreciated, mythic author. This tale was about a man who fell in love with a Selkie, a seal-like mermaid. Very mythic, while still managing to be both creative and chilling.

The worst story in the lot i
Shane
Jan 23, 2015 rated it liked it
Reading it piecemeal but so far I'm impressed. A couple of my all time favourite stories have come from this anthology. Ramsey Campbell's 'Down There', and Brian Lumley's, 'The Thin People' are real stand-out stories so far.

Edit: Have read all that I can remember, may have missed one or two since it's a while since I picked it up again, but I can honestly say it was a very enjoyable read with some absolutely wonderful stories. Another one to add to the stand-out stories list above is the final s
L.R.J. Allen
Mar 12, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As with any short story comp, there are some tales here that are better than others, but for the first time since reading Night Shift by Stephen King, I've found a compilation book without a single flat out stinker. Rather than just reading one story then leaving the book for another rainy day, I found myself taking in four or five before putting it down. Whilst there are some on here I've read before (like the excellent Rawhead Rex by Clive Barker), the best is The Man He Had Been Before by Sco ...more
Jim Black
Jul 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror
This is a pretty good anthology with strong stories throughout with "The Medusa" by Thomas Ligotti, "Fat Man" by the late Jay Lake, and "Godzilla's Twelve Step Program by Joe R. Lansdale being standouts. I did find R. Chetwynd-Hayes' classic story "The Shadmock" far too silly to finish. Perhaps it's just personal taste.

I would recommend this anthology to anyone interested in the monster horror sub-genre. The writing overall is very strong, the ideas potent, and the atmospheres dark and compellin
Joshua Hair
Nov 11, 2015 rated it liked it
It was...decent. However, overall, this is the first Stephen Jones collection I have been disappointed in. It just seemed as if a majority of the stories were merely lackluster. One could argue that most did not in fact even involve a monster per say. I had intended to review each story individually, but the book was so uninspiring that I've already donated it others to read. This is sad, because I am a monster maniac and generally eat up anything involving this subject matter.
Ahimsa
Oct 13, 2015 rated it liked it
As with many anthologies, the stories here vary to taste. I found many more misses than hits, personally, but that is a personal assessment of course.

Most disappointing to me is that the monsters really aren't very new or interesting at all. There are zombies and vampires and demons and at least one story where "humans are the real monsters!" In terms of creativity, this book gets low marks.

But there are enough well-written stories to make this worth reading, if only once.
Mark
Oct 27, 2009 is currently reading it
Odd stories!!! Need some REAL HORROR STORIES!!! HELP!!!
Ashok Banker

• 100 Vicious Little Vampire Stories
  • Modern Classics of Fantasy
  • The Mammoth Book of SF Wars
  • Remember Why You Fear Me: The Best Dark Fiction of Robert Shearman
Stephen Jones is an eighteen-time winner of the British Fantasy Award.