Start by marking “The Big Book of Post-Collapse Fun” as Want to Read:
The Big Book of Post-Collapse Fun

The Big Book of Post-Collapse Fun

Mab is an unemployed feminist blogger with a philosophy degree, a deathly allergy to bee stings, and the real-world experience of a domestic rabbit. When Portland, Oregon is evacuated, no one thinks to look for her in her unlabeled apartment. She can still get news from the outside world for days. All the news is bad. The planetary Tarantella dance has started, and the wor ...more
Published (first published May 1st 2015)

Max
Jul 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Y'all, I LOVED this book. Mab's journey from typical millennial to apocalypse survivor is hilarious and moving, and rings emotionally true. I laughed, I got verklempt, I couldn't stop turning the pages. Highly recommended for anyone who enjoys apocalypse stories, humor, and protagonists in a constant state of existential crisis.

(I must add, I really appreciate this book's avoidance of certain tropes of apocalyptic fiction. I absolutely hate it when collapse-of-society stories revert
Leslie
Apr 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: action
This is a unique look at the Apocalypse. Mab, an unemployed Philosophy major from Portland, OR; gets 'left behind' by the populace and is all but alone in a post apocalyptic Portland. The destruction is caused by natural disasters when the ring of fire pops off, the New Madrid fault creates a new volcano in Memphis and the continent splits in half.

She spends the first few days in panic and denial. Her gradual discovery that she knows absolutely nothing she needs to survive is well handled and h
SeeJennyRead
Let’s face it, my darling smooshy-faces, we will not all be Carols or Roberta Warrens when the Apocalypse unfolds.

Some (many) of us will be Mabs.

Mab is a delightfully sarcastic, introspective protagonist. TBBOPCF draws you right in with Mabs snarky, self deprecating narration of the dystopian events occurring around her.
I enjoyed the consistent pace of the story line. At times I was chuckling at the absurdity of the situations Mab finds herself in. However, really,
Krista
May 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Guys, this book was SO FUN!! It was hilarious without being overbearing and altogether fascinating. If you like dystopian stories, girls who get scared and cry but then do the scary thing anyways, dumb but lovable dogs, and humor in the face of adversity, this is the book for you. I am beyond excited to read the next one!!
Nora
Jul 03, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
very well done and unique piece of post apocalyptic fiction. refreshing to see a female heroine who learns through her mistakes
Skye
Jan 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jenny Schwartz
Jan 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
Awesome fun! I can't believe I forgot to review this. Really compelling with a strong narrative voice.
Katie
May 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I reeeaaaallly enjoyed this book! It’s pretty unlike anything I’ve ever read before; I would not have expected that a first-person narration with almost no other human characters could suck me in so entirely. Mab is such a relatable and realistic character, and going along with her as she matter-of-factly faces the apocalypse was strangely comforting. She’s also really funny—the book had me laughing out loud in public places more than once! I’m looking forward to reading more of Rachel’s books. ...more
Haley
Dec 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Review to come soon!My husband and his friend have zombie-preparedness plans. In fact, he’s so serious about them that we had zombie plans IN OUR WEDDING VOWS. Not even kidding.

But ya’ll, when it comes to fight or flight…I HIDE. So I completely related to Mab when she hid and hid and hid some more until she finally could nit hide anymore. When she came out of that third story apartment to realize “Um, hey, where’s everybody at? OH SHIT!” I almost died. Of course…so did Mab.
Kathleen
Jul 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book. It’s a post-Apocalyptic adventure and personal journey. Its narrator is a young woman left behind after a general exodus of residents from Portland, Oregon because of earthquakes and eruptions of Mount St. Helens and Mt. Hood. Actually, most of the Pacific Northwest is destroyed by the cataclysmic events that continue to play out around her. Suddenly, this Philosophy major and blogger must find her way through a world that is literally falling apart. There’s lava on the highwa ...more
Ozsaur
Apr 05, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mab is an ordinary person with the same problems that most people have: paying bills while unemployed, rising credit card debt, student loans etc. When the world ends, Mab isn't ready for it, not in any way. All of her years of education means nothing in the face of earthquakes, volcanoes, sink holes, and constantly falling ash.

I loved Mab, and her struggle to figure out how to survive. She makes many mistakes, most of them fairly realistic for a person who has never contemplated pre
Mari Kurisato
Apr 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
This is the book I wish I had written about the post Apocalypse. Unique in concept, though Sharp doesn’t drown the reader in the technical details too much, the heart of The Big Book of Post-Collapse Fun is the main character, Mab. She’s a late 20’s Portlandia-esque Olive Oil type who can argue up and down about Philosphy, but literally has no idea what to do when the story starts to come apart at the seams and the wifi goes out.

What I didn’t expect from this novel was how funny it was, with ra
I loved this book. It was so hilarious that it took me a bit longer to read than normal because I had to put it away at night once my husband fell asleep. The first night I read it after he had been sleeping and I burst out in laughter so loud he literally jumped out of a sound sleep. I tried to go back to it after he went back to sleep - thinking I could control my very loud laughter. I was very wrong. The second time I woke him up I got an evil glare and decided it was time to put the book awa ...more
Ashe Armstrong
Aug 25, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: post-apocalypse
This was a fun little book. Mab is a likable character and fairly relatable to most folks in her age range. Watching her go from a timid, scared city dweller to a post-apocalypse survivor was an interesting journey, though it did sag a bit around the middle. Mostly due to a lack of much outside stimuli. I got a little bored, hoping she'd run into people and have to deal with that some but given the story, that bit of boredom and lack of people makes sense. And thankfully, by the time I was wonde ...more
Madeleine
May 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow, when I picked this up I thought it would be okay, at best, and not really my style at all. I was not ready..

I LOVED IT!

l fell in love with Mab instantly and her journey through this book is amazing. Her physical journey of course, but especially her mental journey. It was believable to me, her reactions to whatever happened to her, I could definitely see myself react in a similar way.

I would recommend this book to everyone, but especially millennials that have the ability too
Asher Blake Beckner
After the world collapses, Mab has to find her way to safer geological area in Canada.

I wish I had more to say summary-wise, but I can't talk about character interactions, because there are no other characters for the first 95% of the book. And while I love survivalist, life-threatening drama, at the end of the day, I care far more about character than any other element of a book.

Mab's character has a good arc, I'll admit. But you know what would have made it better?

More character/>
Patty
Jun 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: zombies, shtf
End of the world book and I loved it. I wish I had written it.

This book is from the point of view of a smart, single twenty something woman on the west coast. I laughed at her musings, I cried with her pain and I read every single work. Humor and horror and adventure. Perfect.

If you like this also try Until the End of the World by Sarah Lyons Flemming.

FYI: My favorite zombie book is World War Z and my favorite prepper books are The Jakarta Pandemic and One Second After.
David Kristoph
Aug 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An incredibly witty, sarcastic, and above all FUN account of the apocalypse. Whether it's describing the people around a campfire (Pink Hair, The Sweatshirt, and Generic College Student) or her injured foot ("...like a watercolor painting") Sharp has a knack for conversational prose that reads more like a conversation with a friend--in a good way. It just works.

This book will leave you laughing and asking yourself, "How was YOUR apocalypse?"
Connon
May 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a must have book. I don't often pick up a real paper book (or even a kindle copy for that matter) but I agreed to read this one for a friend. I spent the next I don't know how many hours glued to this book, I could not put it down. Seriously this has got to be one of the best books I have read in the last 10 years hands down.
Judy
Oct 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Mab finds herself alone in Portland, Oregon after everyone else has been evacuated due to an apocalypse. She sets out in search of survival gear, food and shelter items and from there her adventures begin. The story is told with lots of humor and will keep you amused throughout. A fun book that will get you to thinking about what you yourself would do in the same situation.
Del
May 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Awesome

Truly funny but without sacrificing the seriousness of surviving an apocalypse woefully unprepared. I loved it, I'm reading everything by this author I can get my grubby paws on because funny is hard to find in any genre. Great story and likeable main character too.
Aug 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Nov 28, 2016
Rose Sinclair,
Jan 12, 2016
« previous 1 3 next »
Goodreads Librari...: Replace Placeholder Cover, Please 6 22 Jul 13, 2015 01:41PM
After a decade of touring the country, Rachel Sharp is hiding out in Vermont with several plants and her questionable sense of humor. At time of writing, she is working on entirely too many projects. The previous statement will be true regardless of time of reading.

She also lives with chronic illness, plays ukulele, and tries to save the planet.
“At the edge of the pit, she launches herself into the air: Jane of the Jungle, the Human Volleyball, Centrifugal Force Girl. For four seconds, she flies. And of those four seconds, she only screams in terror for three.” 3 likes
“Possibly this is some demonstration of how amazing the human brain is, adjusting and readjusting reality, plugging up potential crazy with a handy coping mechanism. As for myself, I think it demonstrates that the human brain is made of recycled monkey bits and pure, unadulterated stupid.” 1 likes