Start by marking “Phoebe's Journey: Part 1: Of Passion and Pride” as Want to Read:
Phoebe's Journey: Part 1: Of Passion and Pride

Phoebe's Journey: Part 1: Of Passion and Pride

One of the best-loved books in the Bible holds a mystery.

While working in Corinth, the Apostle Paul penned his letter to the Romans. Paul chose a woman named Phoebe to hand-carry his letter to the church in Rome. In Romans, Chapter 16, Phoebe’s name is at the head of a long list of noble workers Paul praises for their service.

"I commend to you our sister Phoebe, who is a d
ebook
Published July 31st 2017 by Kathryn Collett

To ask other readers questions about Phoebe's Journey, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Phoebe's Journey

Start your review of Phoebe's Journey: Part 1: Of Passion and Pride
Beverly
My very first reaction after finishing this terrific historical fiction is 'wow'! Kathryn Collett is a great storyteller. I literally picked up the book and spent hours reading it and couldn't put it down until I finished. That doesn't happen to me very often.

In the author's note at the beginning of the book, she gives a little bit of background about the main character and a little about herself. I find myself drawn to the same type of book she has written. I have always been fascinated by the
Sydney Avey
Nov 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Phoebe's Journey: Part 1 Of Passion and Pride imagines the life of one of the Apostle Paul's benefactors. I was intrigued when author Kathryn B. Collett told me that Paul devoted two Bible verses (Romans 16:1-2) to Phoebe. Paul described Phoebe as a sister, servant of Christ, and benefactor. He chose this young woman from Cenchrea in Greece to deliver his letter to the Roman church.

I agree with Collett when she says in her Author's Note that Bible stories mean more to us when we consider them in
Kyle Johnson
Aug 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017-books-read
As a seminary student and minister who occasionally preaches and teaches, I normally find myself rooted in the world of textual studies and non-fiction. Although this first installment of Collett's trilogy falls under "Christian fiction," it is apparent from the first chapter the breadth and depth of historical studies that lay the foundation for this captivating 1st century story and its various historical characters, settings, and plots. With the aid of the character glossary to keep the relat ...more
Misty
Dec 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Phoebe's Journey: Part 1: Of Passion and Pride by Kathryn B. Collett was a great book that took a single passage that reads:
"I commend to you our sister Phoebe, who is a deacon in the church in Cenchrea. Welcome her in the Lord as one who is worthy of honor among God’s people. Help her in whatever she needs, for she has been helpful to many, and especially to me." [Romans 16:1-2, NLT]
and turned it into a book that was about a brace woman who was willing to take the Apostle Paul's letter to the R
Jill
Jul 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I found this book to be very fascinating. I love reading Biblical fiction, and Ms. Collett does a superb job of creating an imaginative story of a young woman whom the Apostle Paul mentions in his writings that we really know very little about. The characters, setting and storyline are very detailed, making this an extremely believable story. Watching Phoebe overcome great obstacles and mature into a young lady was very satisfying. I look forward to more by this author.
Amber Hawke
Dec 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I really loved this book because it took something that really happened and created a fictional account of how it might have happened. I loved the way that the main character was a woman who actually existed. The author did a great job of staying true to the time period.
Pat
Sep 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book, it had a great storyline and well fleshed out characters that made it a worthwhile read!

I voluntarily reviewed an advanced reader copy of this book.
Felicia Allen
Sep 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is an amazing story. There was laughter, love, betrayal, and sadness all rolled into one. Luckily it had a happy ending! I really can't wait for the next two installments. ...more
Barbara
Jae Ho
Dec 20, 2019
Madel Perez
Apr 25, 2020

• Reap (Jack Forester #2)
  • Spring Thaw and Other Mystery Short Stories (Chris Matheson Novella)
  • Fragments of Ash (A Modern Fairytale, #7)
  • The Death of Vultures
  • Curse of the Sea (Admiralty Archives,#1)
  • Dirty Trickster, Corporate Spy