Start by marking “The Hidden House Murders (Miss Hart and Miss Hunter Investigate #3)” as Want to Read:
The Hidden House Murders (Miss Hart and Miss Hunter Investigate #3)

The Hidden House Murders

(Miss Hart and Miss Hunter Investigate #3)

It is 1934. Returning to the West Country after their latest adventure in London, lady’s maid Verity Hunter and cook Joan Hart are ready to embrace a quieter life. Their mistress, the glamorous young heiress Dorothy Drew, is attempting to rein in her enthusiasm for too many cocktails and takes up the offer of a place to rest and recuperate from an old family friend, Mrs As ...more
Published August 17th 2017

To ask other readers questions about The Hidden House Murders, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Hidden House Murders

Leslie
Apr 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cops, historic, ku, mystery, vocab
Joan and Verity are back in the country but where these ladies go murder is sure to follow. Joan is now the Cook and her first meal seems to cause a great deal of distress soon Inspector Marks, now given the first name of Tom, is on the case and he and Joan are pairing up to solve another murder.

Even being binge read this story holds up.

Vocab:
This is for Americans only I think
In the first book and this book Joan was peeling swedes. My American Kindle identified these as people who live in Sweden
Cheryl
Nov 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
** I would like to thank the author, Celina Grace, for my ARC of this novel. I chose to voluntarily leave a review. **

OH MY!! My heart is pounding and I'm squealing with delight at the stunning, exhilarating conclusion of this novel.

I love, love, love, love, LOVE the Miss Hart and Miss Hunter Investigate series! (Did I put enough "love's" into that sentence?) This time around we see Joan and Verity move to Hidden House in the countryside along with Dorothy their mistress, who is recuperating fro
Diane Perry
Aug 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
I received an ARC in exchange for an honest review. This is such a fun series. A good combination of humor and suspense. Joan and Verity have taken positions at the Hidden House. It should be nice, quiet job until a murder happens. Joan is quick to jump in and try to solve the mystery while Verity stays the voice of reason. Quick, fun and relaxing read. Very enjoyable.
Susan
Aug 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Back in the country with Miss Dorothy Drew, lady’s maid Verity Hunter and cook Joan Hart, are working at Hidden House, the home of Mrs Ashford.
The next day the guests are struck down with suspected food posioning which could be the cause of at least one person's death.
Inspector Marks is brought in to investigate, and yet again he relies on Joan for inside help.
Really enjoyed this well-written, cozy mystery series with some lovely characters which just grow on you.
Received an Advanced Reader Cop
Bonnie Dale Keck
Jan 22, 2018 rated it did not like it
kindle unlimited, first came to notice in The Asharton Manor Mysteries Boxed Set (Books 1 - 4) but except for these {prequel in this set} the rest were so so or worse, as rated them as 4 set not really individually so individually was less than 3 really. Was giving the ones from this set a 3, but for different reasons; kept waiting for things to happen, and they either never did or were solved for the stupidest 'coincidences' or guesses or just put in as if someone had actually detected when had ...more
Ingo
Aug 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Fans of old time Mystery like Agatha Christie
Received an ARC for an honest review.
To start honest, this kind of mystery might not really be my cup-a-tea: I read Agatha Christie last when I was still reading in German (translation) only, maybe age 10 or 12 (1976, 1978).
The book takes place in England, but in the past (20th century), I think, which would prevent me from buying this, as I have long stopped reading most books playing too long ago in the past (with exceptions).
But I am paying for this with a review, so I will see how I like thi
Andrea Stoeckel
Aug 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
[Disclaimer: I received this book as a gift from the author, so it will not show as a verified purchase. As per usual, how I receive such books does not affect how I voluntarily review them.]

"I sighed. “I do. It’s just –oh…I can’t describe it. It’s almost as if…as if this is what I’m meant to do. I mean, if fate hadn’t meant me to do this, why do I keep getting mixed up in all these strange happenings?” Now Verity did grin. “Don’t ask me, Joanie. You’re just a magnet for murder!”

In this, the thi
Dawn Gill
Aug 20, 2017 rated it liked it
I received this ebook as a member of Celina Grace’s Advance Reader Group.
I have read (and bought) all the Kate Redman novels, but not these Miss Hart and Miss Hunter series.
That’s not a reflection of the quality, it’s simply because I’m more of a thriller girl, however, it made for a very enjoyable read, with some unexpected twists. The characters and locations have just enough description to feel solid and convincing, in a natural way – something I find often lacking in books. I’ve not read mu
Thomas
Aug 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Joan and Verity move to Hidden House, a family home (out in the county away from London) of their mistress Dorothy, who will be arriving later that day or the next to recuperate and rest for a couple of months.

When Joan Is waken up in the middle of the night because everyone is ill. One person has died. It appears that the mushroom dish she made was not safe after all.

With the death of the Mrs. Ashford of the house. Some of the survivors listed in the will are not all happy about the results.
Teresa
Nov 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book, and it is the third in the series. The first in the series was good, and re-introduced us to characters we met in one of her previous books, it allowed us a larger look at our two "servant" girls.

Each book gets better and better as we get to know the characters better and start to hope for things to come and this book seems to have gotten everything bang-on.

Back in the country murder again finds our heroine Joan in the middle of a murder case, and as usuall cannot resist tryin
Valorie Hunter
Sep 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Things go bump in the night of a new home!!!!!!

20 stars!
I am still reeling from this book I just read. The things that Joan Hart and Verity Hunter have encountered working at various homes is mind boggling.
Joan is a magnet to solving crimes, this time they have moved to get their mistress, Miss Dorothy some rest from London, and walk into, jealousy, control, fiance trouble, secrets being kept, poisoning, murder, and inheritance.
ALOT of people with all these things going on, to want the same thi
Donna
Aug 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I don't typically read period pieces but I've thoroughly enjoyed this series. Joan and Verity are likable characters who have been lucky to land jobs as cook and lady's maid to Dorothy. Dorothy cares about the two women and treats them well.I love how Joan and Verity have developed such a wonderful relationship and are like sisters. While they are both involved in solving the crimes, Joan is the one with the most inquisitive mind and she drags Verity into the investigations. Like all of Celina G ...more
Fleur
Aug 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017
Just when Verity and Joan think they are going to settle down into a nice job where life is as it should be yet another murder occurs. In this book we see a bit more of a strain on Verity and Joan's relationship which is understandable as well this is there third job where murder has visited them. It was great to see Joan being in charge of the kitchen and moving up in the world of house staff, while also getting closer to her dreams of her play. While Verity tries to keep Dorothy on the straigh ...more
Silvia Molinari
Aug 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery-thriller
Perfect for those who love to dive into mysteries of the past...

Celina Grace has created a very intriguing mystery series set in England in the early 1930s. This is the third volume with Joan Hart and Verity Hunter as detectives and in this novel you clearly see how the characters’ evolution is effecting the plot. Joan Hart is a woman of her times but also a witty and clever person who wants more from life than just cooking and serving rich people. The sudden murders that take place on her new a
Argum
Oct 11, 2018 rated it liked it
The girls are off in the country while Dorothy tries to take a step back from her too much life of drinking and parties. Verity of course goes, but Joan steps in when the cook at the house takes ill. The house is strange an older sort of cousin of Dorothy's, her adopted daughter whom she threatens with disinheritance, and her widowed sister-in-law. A young nephew and his friend are also in residence for a visit. Everyone takes ill after eating some mushroom soup, but then the old lady is found d ...more
Little Red Readinghood
Aug 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book is just my cup of tea. A little Upstairs, Downstairs. The detectives are Downstairs. The murder is an English house party type of murder. I particularly like the change of circumstances to both characters from the last book and am excited to see how they grow in the next book. I hate books where the characters lives are in a rut, each book in the series has them living the same lives over and over again . No danger here. It helps if you have read Death at the Manor a sort of prequel to ...more
Linda
Jun 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I am enjoying the Miss Hart and Miss Hunter series. Good mysteries and good, fun characters.

Joan Hart and Verity Hunter have moved to the country with their employer Dorothy. They are staying Dorothy's aunt's house. Shortly after they get there, many people come down with food poisoning, or so they think. Then Dorothy's aunt is found dead. The girls are forced to try and figure out what happened. As luck would have it, the local detective used to work with Joan's friend Inspector Marks.

I hope
Erin Schave
Aug 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
I received the book early as a part of the authors fan club. I was hesitant to read this series as opposed to her other series. The Kate Redman series is one of my top ten of books series. This one however is a little all over the place, like my review. I do love the two ladies as a pair, even though Joan does all the heavy lifting. I am curious to see where Joan will go; will she give up being an employee or work with her favorite Inspector? It was a quick and enjoyable read. If you are a Celin ...more
Judith
Aug 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
I have enjoyed all of the Celina Grace books that I've read, this one included. As her series progress you learn more about the main characters; what they like and how they think. There is a wonderful bond of friendship that has continued to develop between Joan Hart, cook, and Verity Hunter, ladies maid. There is a nice twist at the end that I didn't anticipate. This is a fun read and I look forward to the next book in the series.
Kimberly
Feb 25, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: on-nook
Enjoyed this one much the same as the first two books in the series. Like the development of Joan from undercook to cook to now a playwright. Interested to see where that goes as well as her developing relationship with the inspector. Definitely looking forward to the next Celina Grace book, whether it is Kate Redmond or Miss Hart and Miss Hunter.
Hils
Aug 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I found this book up to Celina Grace' s usual high standard. The writing style is in keeping with the period in which it is set and is easy to slip into -the period that is. The murder comes along fairly promptly and becomes absorbing quickly. The twists and turns develop nicely including the relationship between Joan and a former acquaintance. The surprise at the end is masterly!
Lynne
Aug 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Loved it! Best book in the series, it had me guessing all the way to the end. Just when you think you have a clue about the murderer, something happens to make you not only doubt yourself, but to question other players. Well done Celina, keep 'em coming!! Oh, a great ending by the way.....and I'll say no more 😉
Shelby
Aug 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Give this book a try

I stumbled across the first Miss Hart and Miss Hunter and was hooked. The characters are believable and continue to develop with each book. I can't wait for book 4.
Kandy
Aug 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. I love that it is set back in the 1930s. Everything is described so good that I can see it as I read it. I loved the characters. I have not read any of the other books in this series, but will definitely will be doing that soon.
Pat Welte
Sep 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Readers that like mysteries and/or historical stories
I loved this book as well as the first two of this series. This is a historical mysteries from the point of view of a servant in a wealthy household. The cook in this book finds the clues and gives them to a DCI. This story takes place in England. I really enjoy this book.
Jackie
Oct 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Another great mystery about Verity and Joan These stories are so delightful that I just can’t get enough of them. Celina Grace is one extremely talented writer. Received an ARC but reviewing because I love the stories.
Peggy
Jul 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I so enjoy Celina Grace's books with Miss Hart and Miss Hunter, they are short and always make me think of who done it, I enjoy the charaters and story line moves fast and they are not real intense.
Deborah Ann
May 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Hard To Put Down

This was a great read i found it very hard to put down and could not wait to pick it up again. Thank you Celina Grace for this enjoyable book. Looking forward to your next story involving Verity and Joan.
Charlene Davis
Jan 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Another hit

The character building awesome. You have to feel for Dorothy even though she is the rich heiress. Money doesn't buy happiness, nor marriage but it can buy murder
Teresa Tovar
Sep 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Fun and exciting

The characters were so well created. Watching the way Joan is moving forward with her life,growing,can't wait for the next book
  • Why Kill A Countess? (Harriet Honeywood Mystery #2)
  • Suspects
  • Genteel Spirits (Daisy Gumm Majesty, #5)
  • Manuscript for Murder (The Hartfield Mysteries, #1)
  • Fen Country:  Twenty-Six Stories Featuring Gervase Fen (Gervase Fen, #11)
  • Over Her Dead Body
  • Waiter, There's a Clue in My Soup! Five Short Mysteries
  • Snowflake
  • Match Play
  • Suspicious Death (Inspector Thanet, #8)
  • The Quiet Coup: A Political Thriller
  • I'm Kona Love You Forever (Islands of Aloha Mystery Series #6)
  • The Nine Mile Walk: The Nicky Welt Stories Of Harry Kemelman
  • Wildcase (Rail Black, #2)
  • Harm's Way (Inspector Sloan #11)
  • The Middle of Things
  • Prime Time Love
  • The Imbroglio at the Villa Pozzi (Angela Marchmont Mystery #6)
I’ve been trying to get published as a writer since…. um… er…um…see, it was that long ago I can’t remember. A long time. I make it fifteen years and counting….

I’ve also been writing for as long as I can really remember. I wrote my first story, The Blue Ruby, when I was about seven (if I can find that deathless prose scribbled in an exercise book somewhere, I might upload it here for a bit of light

Miss Hart and Miss Hunter Investigate (3 books)
  • Murder at Merisham Lodge (Miss Hart and Miss Hunter Investigate, #1)
  • Death at the Theatre (Miss Hart and Miss Hunter Investigate, #2)