Start by marking “El Diablo En La Botella” as Want to Read:
El Diablo En La Botella

El Diablo En La Botella

Keawe es un hawaiano que siente la necesidad de conocer otras tierras, por lo que se dirige a San Francisco, Estados Unidos. Allí descubre una casa preciosa cuyo dueño parece algo triste y demacrado. Al entablar conversación con él y preguntarle el motivo de su tristeza, el viejo le enseña una botella de vidrio blanco en cuyo interior están todos los colores del arco iris. ...more
Published July 31st 2017 by e-artnow (first published 1891)

To ask other readers questions about El Diablo En La Botella, please sign up.
Emily Weatherburn There are definitely a lot of supernatural aspects to this story, and some moments that do relate to the horror genre. Yet this is also a light-hearte…moreThere are definitely a lot of supernatural aspects to this story, and some moments that do relate to the horror genre. Yet this is also a light-hearted tale that involves a certain amount of romance.(less)

Start your review of El Diablo En La Botella
Janete
May 25, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4,5 stars. Audiobook in Portuguese.
Synopsis: " 'The Bottle Imp' is an 1891 short story by the Scottish author Robert Louis Stevenson usually found in the short story collection 'Island Nights' Entertainments'. It was first published in the 'New York Herald' (February–March 1891) and 'Black and White' London (March–April 1891). In it, the protagonist buys a bottle with an imp inside that grants wishes. However, the bottle is cursed; if the holder dies bearing it, his or her soul is forfeit to he
Cecily
A few weeks ago, Apatt suggested I might like some Halloween shorts.

It turned out, it he wasn’t referring to seasonally patterned undergarments, but to short stories with a dash of the macabre. This is one of his recommendations.

My first encounter with Robert Louis Stevenson was as a pre-schooler, via his charming A Child's Garden of Verses, vividly and distinctively illustrated by Brian Wildsmith. Later, I came to know him for darker fare like The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, Kidna
Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
This 1891 story by Robert Louis Stevenson is a fun October read, just a little spooky. Native Hawaiian Keawe meets a man with a beautiful home but a deep sadness in his heart. It turns out that the man's wealth and possessions all come from a mysterious bottle with a magical imp inside that grants your wishes. But there's always a catch with wishes being granted. In this case, the only way to get rid of the bottle is to sell it for less than you paid for it, and if you die still possessing the b ...more
Apatt
Oct 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
One of my favorite stories, just the thing to read for Halloween, not that it is particularly scary, but it does have a dark atmosphere and a cool supernatural conceit involving wishes and an imp. Like The Monkey’s Paw which I just reviewed earlier today, the story is underpinned by the theme of “be careful what you wish for”. Having said that the way wishes work in The Bottle Imp is much more complex and interesting than The Monkey's Paw.

Basically whoever possess the bottled imp can make an unl
Brian
Jul 31, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Freaky story. This guy sells a bottle that gives you anything you want, but you have to sell it before you die or you burn in hell forever. Devil deal. You must sell for less than you bought it, and currency doesn't diminish forever. So this guy wishes for a great house on the beach and he gets it, but his uncle dies. He takes over his uncle's house. He finally sells it and falls in love. Blind love. Stupid love. He buys it back to get her, and gets her, but now he's miserable. So she learns of ...more
Althea Ann
Jan 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A tale on the classic theme of ‘The Problems With Wishes.’ A man comes across the remarkable opportunity to buy a bottle containing an imp – who, genie-like, will fulfill all the wishes of his owner. The catch? If the owner dies in possession of the bottle, he or she will be damned for all eternity. The bottle cannot be given away, only sold – and it may only be sold for a lesser price than it was bought for.
It’s a great set-up, and Stevenson does it full justice.

It’s also worth mentioning tha
Dov Zeller
Nov 24, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"There is a man of the island of Hawaii, whom I shall call Keawe; for the truth is, he still lives, and his name must be kept secret, but the place of his birth was not far from Honaunau, where the bones of Keawe the Great lie hidden in a cave. This man was poor, brave, and active, he could read and write like a schoolmaster, he was a first-rate mariner besides, sailed for some time in the island steamers, and steered a whaleboat on the Hamakua coast. At length it came in Keawe's mind to have a ...more
David Sarkies
Feb 19, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
Is it possible for a rich man ...
22 February 2014

This is one of those little treasures that I have stumbled across in a collection of short stories of Stevenson's that are all have a supernatural theme and also generally creepy (which is what you get with supernatural stories). The Bottle Imp is a story of a native Hawiian (which is interesting in that the main character of this book is not Anglo-american) who is sold a rather magnificent bottle. Basically the owner of the bottle will come into
Amina
Oct 31, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
What would you give to have your dreams come true?
What would you sacrifice for the love of your life's soul?
Jeanette (Again)
This was a fun bitty-bit of a story to curl up with when I couldn't seem to focus on anything more substantial. It's about a Hawaiian man and a magic bottle and a devilish conundrum. I wouldn't mind being the last one left holding the bottle, because I don't believe in hell. What a bargain, for a piddling little centime!
I loved Stevenson's word sketches of Hawaii and San Francisco and Tahiti as they were at that time.
Mizuki
Feb 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: great
This one is in fact very nice!
leynes
Jan 22, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
(3.5 stars)

On the 22th of January I discovered that this short story is part of my edition of "Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde" by Robert Louis Stevenson and since I had never read it I decided to change that... And what can I say? I really enjoyed this little tale. It was super strange but thought-provoking which is the best asset a story can have. ;)
Things had gone quickly; but so an arrow goes, and the ball of a rifle swifter still, and yet both may strike a target.
Recently, I have become a bit obs
Jihyun
It was pretty good and the story was very interesting. It's not so heavy to read it and I think everyone can enjoy it as well, because of the way the story is managed and the message that it contains.
Chameleon Bay
Dec 30, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked the Bottle Imp much more than Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde. A not-so-generic 'genie in the bottle' story with a devilish twist and surprising ending.
Wanda
Oct 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks, bbc, 2018
2 OCT 2018 - a recommendation through Dear Bettie. Many Thanks.

Listen here - https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b050...

6 OCT 2018 - listening now.

Mind your wishes!
Saur
Dec 23, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A short story that wasn't quite a horror story by my standards. I still quite enjoyed it and the ending was not how I predicted it out to be. The book was short and included in my ultra-fancy copy of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde. These two went well together and either of them alone would have been quite a short book. Them together was also a short book but atleast a hundred pages long.
Emily Weatherburn
I read Robert Louis Stevenson's "The Bottle Imp" right after I finished rereading Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde. It is a short story included in my copy of this infamous gothic novella, and is one that most certainly deserves a review.

A Bit of Context

Title: "The Bottle Imp"
Author: Robert Louis Stevenson.
Publication: 1891, New York Herald.
My Edition: 2012, Penguin.
Length: 31 pages.

"The Bottle Imp" was published in 1891, a few years after Stevenson's Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde. Centred around the islands of Ha
Peter
Aug 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
One of my favourite story. That's quite another kind of genie in a bottle or Aladdin. Absolute classic and clear recommendation for everyone. I first heard this story within a reading in the dark event some years ago. A blind man was reading this story in a dark room... Every antiquary be aware of this bottle (imp)!
Rebecca McNutt
If you had to risk eternal damnation to get a device that grants any wish, would you do it? Greed is a powerful theme in this classic story, and fans of Aladdin or The Monkey's Paw will really enjoy this book.
Jo Weston
A curious and engaging tale
Lora Milton
Jan 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: supernatural
This is a tale written for a Polynesian audience, set in Hawaii, yes with Christian elements. Keawe is a mariner and decides to see the world beyond the islands. He books passage to San Francisco where he is impressed by all the fine houses. A man in one of the smaller houses invites him inside and offers to sell him a bottle with an imp from Hell inside who will grant all his wishes. What could go wrong?

It comes with certain conditions. The imp cannot grant long life and if the owner of the bo
José Cruz Parker
Beautifully written by the masterful R. L. Stevenson, this is an engrossing horror story dealing with human greed and the supernatural. The Bottle Imp is almost as memorable as Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, another great outing by Stevenson.
Grace
This was an interesting premise for a story, but I don’t think I’ll be remembering it in a week’s time. I’m sure it was also more scary when religion played a larger role in the world as hell doesn’t seem so scary to non-religious people.
Diane Challenor
A short story, worth the read. It's a classic, that leaves you pondering the irony of the story, long after you've read it.
Charlie
Apr 27, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
wow
Caroline
Feb 23, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great story! Seems like a classic fairytale.
Kirstie Ellen
Feb 29, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Stevenson fans
Shelves: classics, fantasy
This was a great story! It was included within my copy of The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde so I thought I'd give it a go and it was really funny and quite stressful. It's all about one man getting caught up with the trickery of a genie bottle, essentially. If you ever get the chance to read it then do!

-------------------------------

Wish Granting Genies?
Stevenson has a real knack for story telling and this was incredibly entertaining. Although short, it packs quite the punch with its e
Chrisanne
Oct 25, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics, fantasy
My kind of Halloween tale.
Kathryn
This is an interesting story of psychological horror dressed in fantasy and romance. I suspect the horror would have weighed much heavier on Victorian readers than modern ones, as it concerns nothing less than damnation (or nothing more than damnation, depending on your perspective).

A Hawaiian named Keawe goes on vacation to San Francisco and returns with a bottle that he’s tricked into buying. An imp lives in the bottle, whose possession allows one to have any wish granted. Naturally, there are
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• A Vine on a House
  • The Young King
  • Lost Hearts
  • Relatos impactantes
Robert Louis Balfour Stevenson was a Scottish novelist, poet, and travel writer, and a leading representative of English literature. He was greatly admired by many authors, including Jorge Luis Borges, Ernest Hemingway, Rudyard Kipling and Vladimir Nabokov.

Most modernist writers dismissed him, however, because he was popular and did not write within their narrow definition of literature. It is onl

News & Interviews

“aunque una flecha vaya muy veloz y la bala de un rifle todavía más rápida, las dos pueden dar en el blanco.” 0 likes
“las cosas sucedieron deprisa; pero aunque una flecha vaya muy veloz y la bala de un rifle todavía más rápida, las dos pueden dar en el blanco.” 0 likes