Start by marking “White Rose, Black Forest” as Want to Read:

4.08  ·  Rating details ·  49,687 ratings  ·  2,696 reviews
In the shadows of World War II, trust becomes the greatest risk of all for two strangers.

December 1943. In the years before the rise of Hitler, the Gerber family’s summer cottage was filled with laughter. Now, as deep drifts of snow blanket the Black Forest, German dissenter Franka Gerber is alone and hopeless. Fervor and brutality have swept through her homeland, taking a
Published March 1st 2018 by Lake Union Publishing

To ask other readers questions about White Rose, Black Forest, please sign up.
Nanette Fandino-Diaz This book could easily be read by a middle schooler. The main character is in her mid-20s. She talks about her experience as a Hilter youth. She talke…moreThis book could easily be read by a middle schooler. The main character is in her mid-20s. She talks about her experience as a Hilter youth. She talked about the need to feel accepted by her peers. This is a great conversation starter to have with a middle schooler about getting involved in groups to feel a part of something even if the group does things that are wrong. (less)

·  49,687 ratings  ·  2,696 reviews

Start your review of White Rose, Black Forest
Marianne
Another great kindle first book that I found difficult to put down. My only complaint is that I could have done with the conclusion of the book being a little longer as I just wanted to read about these characters a little longer, and it just felt a bit rushed at the end. Not enough to ruin the book, but I think a little more detail at the end would have made it even better.
Dee Arr
Feb 01, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
{60-Seconds or Less video review at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCkGc...}

“White Rose, Black Forest” is billed as a historical fiction, but it has all the makings of a thriller. Author Eoin Dempsey presents Franka Gerber with a dilemma right from the beginning, then continues to turn up the heat as the story progresses. Although Franka understands the danger that could come from her actions, she continues to do what she feels is right.

The story is told through the eyes of several characters,
Cari
White Rose, Black Forest was my Kindle First selection for February 2018.

Although World War II is one of my favorite topics to explore in literature, it had been a little while since I'd read a book about it. Maybe I've just not been in the mood for anything overly heavy lately, as books about WW-II Europe generally knock the wind right out of me and leave me feeling a mixture of macabre fascination and dumbfounded despair at the cruelties endured during that time.

While White Rose, Black Fores
Kat
Jan 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindle-unlimited
This kept me completely riveted. A historical set in the black forest of Germany during WW2, Franka is a former resistance member who has recently been released from jail. She has a tragic past and has no one left. When she finds a downed airman in the snowy woods with two broken legs, her choices are to let him die, or to rescue him even though he’s a nazi soldier. But when she gets him back to her cabin, he begins crying out in English in his sleep. But Franka can’t tell him who she really is… ...more
Joyce A. Wendeln
Shadows of My Father

This is what my father did during WWII. And yes, this is what it was like, you went in with no one but yourself to depend upon and knowing that America denied knowing you if you got caught. These were the true heroes, but they knew no medals waited in the wings for them no matter how brave and strong they were. After all, they didn't exist!!
Kathleen
Apr 01, 2018 rated it did not like it
DNF 51%. This book started with a great bang and I was so excited to be reading it. Then it just started to read like a text book, where the writing seemed almost to be conveying facts with such little emotion that I have been bored the last 30%. I'm sad, but I'm moving on.
G.J.
Jul 28, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: ww2
I do enjoy a well written WW2 story, so when I read about this book I had to snap it up! What can I say ? It was disappointing , the story sounded so promising, but I am sad to say it did not live up to it’s promise. It is superficially written, has rather shallow characters and just did not work for me.
I believe it is meant to be based on a true story, but there is little evidence of this.
Constantine
Dec 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: z2019-12, x-4-star

Rating: 4.0/5.0

Genre:
Historical Fiction

This a world war 2 story. Franka Gerber finds a body lying in the snow, the man is injured. Not knowing who he is she takes him to her family cabin which is in an isolated place. Despite the airman uniform he wears she helps him not knowing his actual identity or mission. There is a lack of trust between these two strangers but when they confide in each other and telling each other's stories something builds up between them.

I love how this book started, I
Brenda
White Rose, Black Forest is the story of the White Rose, resistance in Nazi Germany who silently fought for the rights of Germans who hated what Hitler was doing to their people and country. And the deep, dark and snow-ridden Black Forest where Franka Gerba’s family holiday home was located.

Franka was a nurse and had been working in Munich when first her brother, then her father were murdered by Nazi extremists. Franka had also lost her boyfriend and his sister; murdered when the White Rose was
Gillian
Mar 15, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Eh...

I wanted to like this book. The story was compelling and from a fascinating POV but the dialogue..., oh the dialogue. Jack and Franka's interactions were stilted and without emotion. The dialogue was flat. I never believed the two characters fell in love because their interaction was emotionless. Bizarre.
David
Feb 22, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Sorry - didn't really get on with this. It's fine as a pulp adventure - but action was predicable, characters two dimensional and the ending very unsatisfactory. Don't know if this is how the book was written or edited but I really don't like weird Americanisms in a book where the characters and action are European (The Girl from Krakow - I'm looking at you) and analogies such as when the author talks about the principle character removing some thoughts(?) like 'wiping bugs from a windshield' - ...more
Joy D
Historical fiction about rescue of an airman by a German resistor. It takes place mostly within Germany’s Black Forest region in 1943-1944. This book was a mixed bag for me. While I found elements to enjoy, such as basing it around resistors in Nazi Germany, there were quite a few inconsistencies in the plot, and I found it a bit contrived. This book purports to be “based on a true story;” however, upon further research, it appears to be mostly fiction. The White Rose organization existed, but t ...more
Andrea
Aug 10, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle-books
I liked the authors other book better,finding rebecca this one for me a great storyline but a young girl comes across a man in the woods German uniform hardly breathing and drags him to her family cabin is abit unreal.give this book a 3.5 rating.
Kathy Miller
Feb 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well done historical fiction about WWII

Good concept and great characters. The novel was extensively researched and the story was engaging. I highly recommend this excellent book
K. Elizabeth
Feb 14, 2018 marked it as soon-to-be-read
This was free for Prime members on Kindle, so why not? Maybe I'll read it one day.
Ellie Midwood
Mar 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
If you love historical fiction, you’ll definitely enjoy reading this story! It’s a bit on a slower-pace side (a bit like All The Light We Cannot See, if you read that one) so if you’re into a fast-moving plot, you’ll only see some major action in the very end. However, for me personally, it worked in this particular case as it helped me better connect with the characters and get to know them and, what’s more important, their personal stories and secrets behind their actions. I particularly enjoy ...more
Jph12
Mar 13, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction, wwii, history
Historical fiction heavy on the fiction and light on the facts (it seems like the only things that actually happened was the rise and fall of the White Rose resistance group). The book is at it's best when it focuses on life in Germany under the Nazis. My favorites parts were the flashbacks to the White Rose. I also liked the depiction of the ordinary Germans turned informants. It added a nice sense of paranoia.

I wasn't so fond of the main characters, and especially not their love story. They se
Karen Macedo
Mar 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. A really great read if you enjoy Historical Fiction as I do. This story is about a woman who finds a soldier unconscious in the forest during World War II. She goes to great deal of trouble to save him. They both help each other during this terrible time of the Nazi regime. This is the second book I've read by this author having read Finding Rebecca which I also enjoyed. Looking forward to reading more books by Eoin Dempsey. I highly recommend this book...
Lisa
Feb 05, 2018 rated it liked it
The story of a German woman with anti-Nazi sentiments and and the American spy posing as a German soldier that she finds wounded in the snow and cares for in her secluded cabin. Would make a decent movie. The story moves along pretty well and the settings and characters are rounded out pretty well, but the dialogue is stilted and the romance contrived.
Paola
Jul 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a story about an American spy and a Germany nurse who's paths cross during the WWII. It's a very unlikely pair with a desperate and dangerous mission....
This was a good read and a page turner, if you enjoy this gender, then this is for you.
Elaine
Jul 31, 2018 rated it it was ok
In general, I did not end up agreeing with the numerous positive reviewers for this novel, which of course send me off on tangential concepts such as wondering how many of the reviews that are posted here are real or were purchased. After all, I've seen situations where books that are not even released yet have multiple 5-star reviews. I read a very long article about how Amazon reviews are increasingly faked and so perhaps we have the same situation here at Goodreads. Or perhaps my tastes simpl ...more
Brittany
3 Stars

In 1943, In Nazi Germany, MC Franka lives alone in her family's cabin in the Black Forest. While out collecting firewood in the forest, she comes across an unconscious airman lying in the snow. Being a nurse, she isn't willing to leave him to die. She takes him to her isolated cabin despite her hatred of the regime he represents. He is wearing a familiar uniform, but is he who he appears to be?

This was a short read, with all the makings of a thriller. I wanted to like this way more than
Elle
Feb 23, 2018 rated it it was ok
Eh. I don't understand what all the fuss is about. Normally this is exactly what I'd love to read but I found the writing simple and the story predictable.
Kayla
Feb 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I received this book through Kindle Firsts in February 2018. I'll be honest; I've been in a book rut. I start books and then lose interest quickly. I thought I was done reading about WWII until this book came along. What an adventure! From the first few pages onward this book does not let up on the tension. There were many times I could feel the anxiousness and fear of the characters. It was a true historical fiction thriller. While there are many questions I had reading the first chapter they w ...more
Kainat 《HUFFLEPUFF & PROUD》
Happens to be the only book that intrigued me in months and of course, it's not out yet. I cry!
Sandy
Mar 05, 2018 rated it it was ok
Started out really well but ended weakly. The plot could have been developed more.
jacq
Jul 05, 2018 rated it it was ok
The first 50 pages and last 50 pages of this book were compelling. It was the 150 pages of drudgery in the middle, as well as the unrealistic and forced dialogue, that makes this a 2-Star read.
Linda ~ they got the mustard out! ~
3.75 stars, rounded up

Her suitcase sat by her bed. She went to it and packed the last of her possessions. It was barely half-full as she closed it. She picked it up and in one hand felt the weight of what was left of her life.

Franka Gerber was a young girl when the Nazis came into power. She thought she found a place among the League of German Girls, she had a boyfriend in the Hitler Youth who was the epitome of Nazi ideals. Her parents were "radicals" who didn't adopt the Nazi ideol
Camille Maio
Jun 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This was a gripping read, a quiet but tense WWII story. Full of resistance, intrigue, and stories inside a small cabin in the Black Forest, this one has me wanted to read everything the author has written.
Gail Lewis
Feb 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
White Rose, Black Forest

Wow! Loved this WWII book so much. Franka, a German Nurse, and John, an Allied Spy, had quite the adventure. I went with my husband on a Viking Rhine River Cruise last June and this story ends up in the Black Forest and Basel Switzerland which we were lucky to experience on our trip.

• Love Lies: A True Story of Marriage and Murder in the Suburbs
  • Night of the Rat
  • Red Russia
  • Assuming Names: A Con Artist's Masquerade
  • Forgotten Bones (Dead Remaining #1)
  • An American Princess: The Many Lives of Allene Tew
  • The Ragged Edge of Night
  • What the Wind Knows
  • I Am Watching You
  • Beneath a Scarlet Sky
  • Maybe You Should Talk to Someone: A Therapist, Her Therapist, and Our Lives Revealed
  • The Goldfinch
  • The Silent Patient
  • The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck: A Counterintuitive Approach to Living a Good Life
  • The Tuscan Child
  • Paper Wife
  • One for the Blackbird, One for the Crow
  • The Road Beyond Ruin
Eoin Dempsey was born in Dublin, Ireland in 1977. He grew up in the beautiful Dublin suburb of Dalkey, where he and his friends would jump into the icy waters of the Irish Sea (during summertime) to prove their manliness. Eoin had a fantastic time attending Blackrock College, where he played rugby (poorly) and did his best to coast his way through. Eoin’s first ambition was to play rugby for Irela ...more

Articles featuring this book

World War II has inspired libraries full of great literature and continues to hold a strong fascination for all types of...
“Because I needed to be valuable again. I needed to do something useful, something good.” 8 likes
“Where they burn books, they will also, in the end, burn people.” 8 likes