Start by marking “The Storyteller's Secret” as Want to Read:
The Storyteller's Secret

The Storyteller's Secret

4.41  ·  Rating details ·  50,282 ratings  ·  3,790 reviews
From the bestselling author of Trail of Broken Wings comes an epic story of the unrelenting force of love, the power of healing, and the invincible desire to dream.

Nothing prepares Jaya, a New York journalist, for the heartbreak of her third miscarriage and the slow unraveling of her marriage in its wake. Desperate to assuage her deep anguish, she decides to go to India to
Published September 1st 2018 by Lake Union Publishing

·  50,282 ratings  ·  3,790 reviews

Barbara
This was my choice for this month's free Amazon prime book and I was very disappointed. If you know nothing about India or Indian culture and you don't mind a very predictable book with few twists or turns, then I'm sure it's an acceptable novel. If you do know even the basics about India then you'll soon spot it's a bit of a mess.

Jaya lives in America and decides to take a trip to India after suffering her third miscarriage and the breakdown of her marriage. She's responding to a letter her mot
Bette Crosby
Aug 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely awesome book. I started reading and did not stop until the very last page. Great story, beautifully told. The culture, the setting, the pace, and the emotions were perfectly on target. 5+ Stars for me.
Elyse Walters
Jun 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The first few chapters begin in America with Jaya as the narrator. I was immediately pulled in - but found Jaya an annoying protagonist. I eventually warmed to her — but it took almost a dozen chapters. Regardless, the storytelling was engaging.

After several miscarriages...Jaya and her husband, Patrick, separate. Their communication was weak. Patrick moved out quickly.
Next we are introduced to Jaya’s parents. Jaya went to spend time with them - one night sleep over - hoping to find comfort...f
Susan
I love reading books about India and thought this would be a winner but unfortunately it was too predictable and I figured out early on how it was going to end.

Thank you Lake Union Publishing and Netgalley for an ARC in exchange for an honest review.
Ahw
Oct 08, 2018 rated it did not like it
I think I must have read a different book to everyone else, looking at the ratings and reviews. I was really looking forward to it - I've read lots about India and thought it sounded like an interesting premise. The problem was it was SO predictable - I even wrote the synopsis after I'd read about 15% of the book and gave it to my husband - and I was spot on.

That wasn't the real problem - the problem with the novel is that it just couldn't have happened and it was SO inconsistent. At one point
Apr 17, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: did-not-finish
"Try a new genre," they said. "It'll be fun," they said. A real life friend who clearly doesn't realize the icy shriveled up state of my psyche gave me a copy of The Storyteller's Secret, calling it one of his favorite books ever. I gave it 100 pages before deciding that, while I might need a new genre, Hallmark-y emotional dramas about Finding Yourself in Foreign Travel™ and Reconciling with Your Difficult Past and Relatives™ are not it.

I'm also exactly the wrong person to feel sympathy for a
Gina
I don't even know where to begin with this book. I didn't read it, I devoured it. I lived it. It slowly brought me in and then refused to let me go. I read until my eyes needed toothpicks to stay open, and yet I kept reading. It is that good.

The book is written from two vantage points: those of the person telling the main story, Jaya, and the second is from the viewpoint of her grandmother, Amisha.

Jaya is reeling from her third miscarriage. A writer living in New York, the third miscarriage is m
Karla Jay
Sep 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I had no idea what this was about except the it was historical fiction and that could never be boring in my opinion. I loved the setting and have read very little about India during WWII. The writing was mesmerizing and the story was beautiful and tragic all at the same time. I highly recommend this book!
Stefanie
Oct 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
You know those books that just leave your heart and soul satisfied after reading it? Well, The Storyteller’s Secret was one of those books for me.
This book was one of my Kindle First picks and I’m so glad I picked this one. Not only did it keep me gripped from beginning to end it left me feeling lighthearted after reading it.
The Storyteller’s Secret tells the tale of two women, grandmother and granddaughter, one set back in India when the British were ruling and one set in modern day time.
Jaya,
Betsy Renzetti
Aug 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the book of the summer for me. I felt like i was right there in India with Jaya. I had to read this book in one day. Now i have to find a book that comes up to its excellence. Wonderful story, written sooooo well.
Linda
Sep 17, 2018 rated it it was ok
I have never written a Goodreads review before, but I am astounded this book got 4.47 stars. It was totally predictable, trite, cheesy, melodramatic, and basically read like a cheap romance novel set in India. The writing style was hard to stomach. I normally read 6 books a month and this took me 3 weeks because I couldn’t bring myself to pick it up and finish it. Spent endless hours playing FreeCell on my phone rather than pick up my Kindle. Not sure why I even finished it but if I make it half ...more
Princess under cover
Nov 20, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: literature
it's 12 am and I've stayed up to read the whole book in 1 sitting, then spend time writing its review bc I can't wait, so you can believe that the book was good. So why just 3 stars? Actually, 3.5, rounded down. I'll explain: WARNING - SPOILERS AHEAD

What I loved about the book:

* The details about India, the caste system and the place of women, the beauty of Amisha and Stephen's love story

* The writing was good, though there were typos throughout that makes me feel it could have used a better, mo
Harley
Sep 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-book, read-2018, fiction
Rarely do we ever know the stories of our parents lives and understand what events made them who they became. And we almost never learn much about the lives of our grandparents. Jaya, the main character in this novel, has the good fortune to learn the crucial stories of both her mother and grandmother. This is an emotionally powerful novel and will touch people's hearts.
I did find the action to be very predictable. I guessed a key event long before it happened.
About a third of the way through th
Melike
Oct 31, 2018 rated it it was ok
I know I am in the minority here, but I found this book boring and most of the characters unlikable especially Jaya. The story was predictable and it read like a cheesy, badly written romance novel. I also had nagging suspicions about the author's description of India that were later confirmed. When writing about other cultures more care needs to be taken, otherwise it ends up being a sloppy novel.
Shalini
May 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was initially the story of the main character Jaya who, after her 3 miscarriages, ran away from home in United States to her small native village in the interiors of India. She came to the ancestral home of her forefathers where she met Ravi, her grandmother Amisha’s best friend and her untouchable servant. India still has the caste system prevalent and some are still considered to be lower caste. From there on, it became the story of Amisha, a storyteller, as told by Ravi. This was Amisha’ ...more
Sandi Mooney
Aug 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This one came up as an August Prime First Reads. I recognized the author, I loved her first book, Trail of Broken Wings so I jumped on it immediately. Read it over just a couple days and loved this one too. A story of 3 women, grandmother, daughter and granddaughter, all facing different obstacles. It drew me in and I could hardly put it down.
Alaina
When I read this synopsis, it kind of reminded me of another book. No that the title or the actual synopsis. Nope just a book mentioned in the synopsis. It's weird, but I liked it.

In The Storyteller's Secret you will meet Jaya. Low-key, I liked getting to know this character. She was just so freaking refreshing and likable throughout the entire book. However, before I diveinto an actual review of this book I feel like I should confess something. I only really ever dove into this book because I w
Staci
May 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This story is told in a dual timeline. Jaya’s narrative is modern day. She is struggling to cope with recurrent miscarriages and with the stress it’s putting on her marriage. Her relationship with her mother has always been distant and she has never understood the reason. Jaya decides to travel to India in hopes of meeting her grandfather, who is on his death bed. She learns many things about her family which give her a better understanding of her mother. She is also able to process her grief ov ...more
Amy J Romance Author & Reader Events
6++++++ ⭐ ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
TOP READ OF 2018
KU and Free on Audible at the time of purchase.
I love epic life stories and getting immersed in foreign cultures.
READ THE BLURB. If you don’t like life/generational stories and/or you don’t know what you’re jumping into you may not enjoy it. Expect a slowly unfolding story, a story revealing life lessons of three generations. I fully enjoyed learning about Indian culture and fully appreciate positive changes women have seen in the last sixty plus years.
No words
Shweta Ganesh Kumar
Oct 30, 2018 rated it did not like it
This novel is a well-written train wreck. While the modern part of the novel is relatable, the British Raj part is barely researched in terms of societal set-up and even amenities available at the time.
The basic writing is good, but the utter lack of research, even the basic kind, was a complete let down.
Lorna Robinson
Sep 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book cried so many times, totally awesome.
Ann-Marie
Jan 04, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book from beginning to end. I am not really one for romantic tales of lost love and redeemed lives, but "The Storyteller's Secret" had a delightful way of weaving the story of three divided generations of an Indian/Indian American family into something that warms the heart.
Amy
Dec 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
If there has been one Kindle book that has consistently been top of the charts these past few months, it has been,  The Storyteller's Secret . Badani graciously joined me for an interview, after releasing her debut novel, so I had a feeling that this book was going to be another incredible treat and I wasn't wrong. This book is GORGEOUS start to finish and, as the title suggests, if you just love beautiful storytelling, this book is one I would hand to you.

Jaya is a New York journalist who has s
The Lit Bitch
Sep 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

One of the things that caught my eye with this book was the beautiful cover. I love the white flower against the red backdrop and the little gold/yellow details and accents.

I also loved that this book was set in India. There is something about India that seems so beautiful and exotic and I just loved that this book was going to incorporate that rich culture.

The summary sounded interesting but it was really the promise of something new and different culturally, that drew me into this st
Quirky Shauna
Disappointing. Trite. Predictable. The only slightly redeeming factor is her servant who becomes her friend.
Soly Azari
Jan 30, 2019 rated it did not like it
If I could merely submit an eye roll
For my review , it would successfully summarize my feelings about this book. Sigh.
Camie
May 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
After having three miscarriages and the emotional drain of an unraveling marriage Jaya a journalist from NYC, decides to visit her mother’s birthplace in India to discover secrets in her families past.
I enjoy these multi generational family sagas especially when they have added cultural insight.
John
Jaya has had three miscarriages in one year. Desperate for a child, she retreats into such a deep depression that it causes the separation of her and Patrick. When her mother receives a letter from India that her father, Jaya's grandfather, is very ill. Her mother tells Jaya that she won't go because her father forbade her to return to India after she married her husband. Hoping to distance herself from her current situation, Jaya decides to go to India in her mother's stead. When she arrives, ...more
John McConnell
This book is clearly targeted at women, just not intelligent women. The text is plodding and pedestrian. The plot has a few twists but is overall predictable. If I had a nickel for every time a female character "teared up", "held back tears" or "stifled a sob", I'd be rich. Happy endings abound. Can't recommend.
Jessica
Sep 11, 2018 rated it liked it
I really enjoyed this book up until the last 10%, when it just got too cheesy and predictable and happy-endingy for me.
Women's Fiction B...: May: The Storyteller's Secret 1 5 Apr 15, 2019 04:01PM
rating books 3 23 Apr 10, 2019 07:45PM
Madison Mega-Mara...: #51 The Storyteller's Secret 1 13 Sep 25, 2018 09:30AM

• True Places
  • The Ragged Edge of Night
  • Where the Forest Meets the Stars
  • Beartown (Beartown, #1)
  • The Snow Gypsy
  • The Lines We Leave Behind
  • The Extraordinary Life of Sam Hell
  • Where'd You Go, Bernadette
  • Joshua: A Brooklyn Tale
  • Beyond the Ashes (Golden Gate Chronicles #2)
  • The Perfect Child
  • You've Been So Lucky Already: A Memoir
  • The Tenth Island: Finding Joy, Beauty, and Unexpected Love in the Azores
  • The Woman Who Breathed Two Worlds (Malayan #1)
A former attorney, Sejal Badani left the law to pursue writing full time. She is a bestselling author, Goodreads Fiction Award Finalist and ABC/DISNEY Writing Fellowship Finalist. When not writing, she loves reading and traveling. Bruce Springsteen, Beyonce, and Ed Sheeran are always playing in the background. She loves speaking to book clubs via Skype. Connect with her at sejalbadani.com, faceboo ...more
“at the end, we are all the same, just a body with only our actions and others’ memories to define who we are.” 6 likes
“You should be with someone who can make you happy.” My heart breaks as I set him free. With all the love I have ever felt for him, I whisper, “You deserve that.” 3 likes