Start by marking “Bygone Badass Broads: 52 Forgotten Women Who Changed the World” as Want to Read:
Bygone Badass Broads: 52 Forgotten Women Who Changed the World

Bygone Badass Broads: 52 Forgotten Women Who Changed the World

Based on Mackenzi Lee’s popular weekly Twitter series of the same name, Bygone Badass Broads features 52 remarkable and forgotten trailblazing women from all over the world. With tales of heroism and cunning, in-depth bios and witty storytelling, Bygone Badass Broads gives new life to these historic female pioneers. Starting in the fifth century BC and continuing to the pr ...more
Published February 27th 2018 by Harry N. Abrams

Amalia Gavea
‘’They span time, the globe, socioeconomic situations, sexual and gender identities, and races. They are queens, scientists, athletes, politicians, spies, warriors, peacemakers, criminals and scoundrels. They are trendsetters, barrier breakers, innovators, and rebels.’’

Outstanding, brilliantly beautiful work by Mackenzi Lee. I cannot begin to tell you how much I loved this book in which she presents 52 women who deserve to be much more famous than they are. Women from all over the world, women
Nat
Mar 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Though I was struggling a bit at the start of this book with the super casual language used for chronicling each historic woman, I realized (rather quickly, thankfully!) that the modern take on these badass broads is exactly what makes this read that more approachable and original.

My issue with previous feminist collections always stemmed from the fact that they came to read like Wikipedia-esque entries and as a result failed to keep me engaged. Which is why I came to like the shorter biography
Elise (TheBookishActress)
things I love:
➽ Mackenzi Lee
➽ historical fiction
➽ girls

things this book will contain:
➽ Mackenzi Lee
➽ historical fiction
➽ girls
emma
FOR THE FIRST TIME EVER, I FORGOT TO MARK A BOOK AS READ ON GOODREADS.

...Who am I?? What have I become?

review to come, once I get some mild existential crises done with

-----------

Starting off the new year the way I basically spent the entire last one: By reading a gorgeously illustrated anthology of powerful women in history.

We stan.
April (Aprilius Maximus)
Apr 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018
*4.5 stars*
Wonderful, wonderful, wonderful.
Inge
Feb 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
If someone ever tells you that you "fight like a girl", you better believe that's a damn compliment. These ladies were fierce. Not just physically, but politically, socially, intellectually. Badass broads indeed. What a great and interesting read.
✨    jamieson   ✨
Name 1 non fiction book I've been more excited for

You can't???

MACKENZI LEES TWITTER THREADS ABOUT HISTORY ARE THE BEST THIS IS GONNA BE THE BEST
Tran Thanh Tu
This is kind of a new experience for me, reading non-fiction books is not really my thing, until NOW.

This is a book comprised of inspiring women throughout history who somehow did not get enough public attention, and to me, it is amazing that this book did its job well, giving the rightful dedication to all these wonderful ladies. They should all be hailed and remembered for their amazing doings throughout history.

And my reaction throughout this book? Might as well be summarized with these two w
Gemma ♕ Books_McCoy
Nov 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: EVERYONE
Shelves: tt-badass-broads
This book is fantastic. It was funny, thought provoking, informative and when I finished it I felt fucking empowered.

All these women are awesome in their own right, strong females in every sense of the word. They are fighters, both on battlefields and off. They are trailblazers. They achieved amazing things in their fields often in the face of men telling them to get back in the kitchen.

You know what though? There are some men behind some of these women that are examples of what good men are.
Trevor
For the most part, I enjoyed this. I hadn't heard of the majority of the women so it was great gaining knowledge for the first time instead of reiterating it. [For example: I personally owe so much to Ursula Nordstrom because without her CHARLOTTE'S WEB wouldn't have existed.) The amount of diversity is wonderful. The artwork is stunningly gorgeous & makes it worth checking out for that alone.

But besides that, I had qualms that kept it from being a 5* read. When I'm reading nonfiction I app
Lia
Jan 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Just imagine if I got to learn about all these amazing women in my high school history class, maybe then I would have actually enjoyed them. It's so sad that all these amazing women are just forgotten. Some saved thousands of lives and some revolutionized science or any other field, and some were just extraordinary at what they did, but time and time again, men have taken credit and/or glory, while these women have gotten lost in history.
Marty :} (thecursedbooks)
Apr 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
You can read my review on my blog as well (for better formatting, lol) - here
I really loved this book, I especially adored how inclusive it was. If you’re worried that this book might have white feminism plastered all over it, I’m here to ease your worries, it’s very intersectional.

The illustrations were breath-taking and the stories were funny, very girl-power-y and at the end, you really wanted to discover more about those women who had been forgotten.

I think Mackenzi Lee did a great job with
royaevereads
Feb 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book absolutely fascinated me - it accounts the incredible lives of a hugely diverse range of women. The art is beautiful and, just as I anticipated, Lee’s writing style is so witty and fun, making these women stand out as characters who I can’t get enough of. Full review to come on my channel soon :)

Thank you to Abrams Books for sending me a copy for review. All opinions are my own.
Rachel (Kalanadi)
Jul 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
4.5 stars, feeding my hunger for inspirational women of note in history after Rachel Ignotofsky's Women in Science and Sports books. I docked half a star only because it frankly needed a wee bit more copyediting. But on the whole, lovely and outspokenly anti-patriarchal establishment, exactly what I expected.
Vernie♡
Sep 01, 2017 marked it as to-read
Shelves: own-books, own-tbr
Oh man I am so ready for this.
Christine Spoors
Mar 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
I've been excited about this book since Lee announced it and it definitely didn't disappoint. I don't ever recall hearing about any of these 52 wonderful women before reading this book, so I learned a lot! I think Lee did a good job at picking women from around the world to write about, it was also great to see gay women and even a transgender woman written about. I really hope that Lee and Abrams bring out a second book of Bygone Badass Broads in the future!

The illustrations by Petra Eriksson w
Chelsea
May 23, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2-star
I know this book is basically a published version of Lee's Twitter feed, which I wasn't aware of going in, but it unfortunately reads as about as polished as any Twitter thread. I read this hoping to learn about some brilliant women who impacted history, but Lee's colloquial, pop culture-littered writing style was unbearably distracting.

I think there's a huge difference between lightening the density that can be found in a lot of
nonfiction or history books with jokes and disregarding the histor
Ana
Feb 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: biography, history
This book was so inspiring, and included so many of my fave historical figures and many more that I’ve never heard of. Working in a bookshop means I’ve seen so many of these beautiful new books that highlight the achievements of historical women, and I love the trend, but this has been my favourite so far. Lee makes a point to talk about women who weren’t white/straight/cis because they have been especially forgotten, and reading about them was a joy.
Avery (Book Deviant)
full review to come but... sigh.

it was really good, i normally would have given it 4.5 or even 5 stars, if not for the multiple transphobic (& enby phobic) lines that were riddled throughout. it was hard to read because of those lines.

still might lower my rating to 2 stars, i just have to think about it:((
Ashleigh (a frolic through fiction)
*Rated 4.5/5 stars
thepessimisticreader
The women featured in this book truly did change society and impact feminism. Many of the women in this book are homosexual, one is a transgender woman, many are women of colour, indigenous women, educated women, women from poor economic backgrounds. There is a role model for everyone, whether you aspire to be a dancer, a chef, a teacher, a scientist, or a writer. These women are empowering.

I had not even heard of 49/52 of the women I learned about reading this. Props to the author for that.

The
Amanda
Jan 03, 2019 rated it liked it
This book was a great compendium of women from around the world who've made a difference. Like Lee acknowledged in her introduction, "many of the women [she] chose to highlight...[were] morally complex. They are sometimes violent, ruthless, and downright criminal." As a history major, I would have expected to have been familiar with at least some of these women but that wasn't the case. Lee made it more exciting because she highlighted lesser known women that often never made it to the history b ...more
lady victoriana
Apr 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2018
Literally why are there so many films and TV shows about crusty white men when all these women exist?? I mean I always knew women were awesome and that we had of course been part of history, but some of the women in this book are just so unbelievably awesome, particularly for the time in which they lived. Nearly every single woman in this book should have her own TV show. This was such a blast to read.

→ the look ←

Since this is an illustrated coffee-table type book, I have to mention how it looks
Clemlucian (🏳️‍🌈the brooding witch)
theme thief bookclub pick of the month

Rating: 3 stars.

The problem is that I read a lot of non-fiction feminist/LGBTQ+ mini-biographies like this one so I already knew most of the women presented in here, and while I didn't think it was mindblowing, Bygone Badass Broads was still a good (if not great) collection of stories. The writing style is my favorite thing about it, it's funny and perfect for night stories. The pictures are beautiful, and the women chosen are still underrated and unknown to
Maissa Daas
Fatima al Fihri
Emmy Noether
Alice Ball
Annie Jump Canon
I loved the idea of bringing women from diffrent times and backgrounds together in one book. Most of the stories were interesting and they introduced me to ladies that i've never heard of before and that I would love to know more about their lives , yet I had a problem with other stories ; I questioned " do they really fall under the categ
Apr 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
women are everything and i'm so proud to call myself a feminist.

rtc. 💕
Layla
Apr 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Julie d'Aubigny (Bisexual Swordswoman, Opera Singer, Hell-Raiser) was definitely my favorite. The book was empowering and I was never bored once reading it. Thanks Edie! <3
  • What are the Seven Wonders of the World?: And 100 Other Great Cultural Lists—Fully Explicated
  • The History Of World Literature
  • Tough Mothers: Amazing Stories of History’s Mightiest Matriarchs
  • Roses and Radicals: The Epic Story of How American Women Won the Right to Vote
  • A History of U.S. Feminisms
  • History Vs Women: The Defiant Lives That They Don't Want You to Know
  • Amelia to Zora: Twenty-Six Women Who Changed the World
  • Death and the Afterlife: A Chronological Journey, from Cremation to Quantum Resurrection
  • The Things That Nobody Knows: 501 Mysteries of Life, the Universe and Everything
  • The Medieval World
  • The Physics of War: From Arrows to Atoms
  • Brazen: Rebel Ladies Who Rocked the World
  • Legendary Ladies: 50 Goddesses to Empower and Inspire You
  • Energy in Nature and Society: General Energetics of Complex Systems
Mackenzi Lee holds a BA in history and an MFA in writing for children and young adults from Simmons College. She is the New York Times bestselling author of the historical fantasy novels THIS MONSTROUS THING, THE GENTLEMAN'S GUIDE TO VICE AND VIRTUE, which won a 2018 Stonewall Honor Award and the New England Book Award, and its sequel, THE LADY'S GUIDE TO PETTICOATS AND PIRACY, which debuted at #3 ...more
“Not a man is going to protect me, because this is a woman's fight, and we are going to protect ourselves!” 3 likes
“The colours of the universe are there because of the existence of womankind.” 1 likes