Start by marking “Photographic: The Life of Graciela Iturbide” as Want to Read:

Photographic: The Life of Graciela Iturbide

Graciela Iturbide was born in México City in 1942, the oldest of 13 children. When tragedy struck Iturbide as a young mother, she turned to photography for solace and understanding. From then on Iturbide embarked on a photographic journey that has taken her throughout her native México, from the Sonora Desert to Juchitán to Frida Kahlo’s bathroom, to the United States, Ind ...more
Published March 6th 2018 by Harry N. Abrams

To ask other readers questions about Photographic, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Photographic

[Shai] Bibliophage
Jul 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Photographic is a splendid graphic novel that narrates the life story of one of the brilliant and prominent photographers in Mexico. Through this, readers will finally get to know who Graciela Iturbide is behind her famous works.
Photographic: The Life of Graciela Iturbide
I was able to read about her and see some of her photographs in a National Geographic magazine when I was still young. When I saw the photo of her "Our Lady of the Iguanas" in this graphic novel, that's when it hit me that I have seen it before. The photos that Itu
David Schaafsma

“Photography reveals flocks of birds with unclipped wings moving inside me. . . .I am a woman and then a bird.”

“Bird is dream is camera is self is life.”

I am glad to recall through this graphic biography Graciela Iturbide, the great Mexican photographer, maybe the second most famous woman Mexican artist. However, I had only seen scattered images of her work. Here’s a famous one, Our Lady of Iguana
Richard
Sep 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
An interesting and thought-provoking book.
Graciela Iturbide was an artist first but was born into a society where women confirmed.
Getting married and raising a family didn't complete her and finally she enrolled into film school, later to become an apprentice photographer.
She has had a long and successful career as an award-winning photographer and never leaves home without her camera.
This is a wonderful insight into her creative life; her influences and personal approach to her art.
I loved her
Romie
I found it interesting to see how this woman, Graciela Iturbide, saw the world as a writer, a photographer, an artist. How she understood it through her lens.
What I loved the most was how she travelled all around the word and tried to capture things that weren’t usual, things that people didn’t care to look at, didn’t care to see. That was beautiful.
What was also beautiful was the way this depicted womanhood: people who identify as women, different women, beautiful women no matter what.
There was
Sylvia
Apr 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved it. This is a book written by a poet and an artist, and because of that both language and image intertwine in the most beautiful way. Isabel Quintero and Zeke Peña, use their particular languages to tell us the story of Graciela Iturbide; furthermore, they also bring to us the importance of looking at people, objects, places with different eyes. Always.

This is not a common biography or a common graphic novel; this is an attempt to bring together the magic of Iturbides life and work to t
Michelle Quinn
Feb 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
"I choose photography over tradition."

Photographic is a graphic novel following the life of Mexican photographer Graciela Iturbide, someone that I, unfortunately, didn't know about until reading this. Actually, that is precisely why I picked this up. A successful, female, Mexican photographer? Of course I had to check it out!

Before saying anything else, I need to mention that I am Mexican. Born and raised. Reading about Graciela Iturbide and what she has been doing way before I was alive, was
Lata
Aug 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Interesting introduction to Mexican photographer Graciela Iturbide. I liked the use of comic line drawings+photographs to give us a small taste of both the woman and her work. The few of Graciela Iturbide's photographs that are featured in this book are haunting.
Jenny Lee
Jan 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
I received a digital copy to read and review from NetGalley

Clearly based on the cover, this book is full of gorgeous art.
However, this book is in black and white, because that is what photographer Graciela Iturbide believes reality is - black and white.

This is around 90 or so pages of a very brief history of the rise and work of Graciela Iturbide. The pages are a mix of simplistic comics composed of interviews done with Graciela, as well as a few of her actual photographs.

There is additional
Lauren
An exemplary biography of Graceila Itrubide, a Mexican photographer and artist. Her work spans decades and themes, and this book traces her background, her training, and her inspirations. Some of her best known work is of the intersection between humans and nature, in her native Mexico. She has photographed a series of the indigenous Seris people of the Sonoran desert, as well as portraiture in Oaxaca, and natural landscapes.

The bio includes many of her photographs, and graphic illustrations of
Rod Brown
Mar 17, 2019 rated it liked it
I'm not usually a fan of biographies that stray too far from fact, but while this one walks right on the line with its poetic digressions, it manages to justify the style by crawling into the head of its subject. Iturbide's photographs are well integrated into the narrative.

Still, it is more paean than biography, and since it is produced by the museum that owns a lot of Iturbide's photographs, that relentless positivity gives the book the whiff of advertorial.
Danielle
May 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: middle-grade-ya, art
"Graciela gave up a life of comfort and convention—choosing instead the path of the artist and risking everything."

"This is how I find my selves. But choosing who I will be."
Cheryl
Mar 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
If you still think of graphic books as lesser, or more like comic books, this will convince you otherwise.

Not a kid's book. Not too much that is mature/ disturbing for teens, but a quick search for more related content showed me images I did not actually want to see.

I agree with the notes that Iturbide's is not surreal or magical, but very, very real. And poetic. Yes.

One thing that this bio reveals is noteworthy - Iturbide admits that she believed Mexico and India to be similar, to have a lot i
Kelly
Not being familiar with Iturbide's work -- something I plan on doing after reading this -- I only wish there'd been more of her photographs included along with the art. An interesting look at the life of an upperclass Mexican photographer who chose to pursue her passion, even though it wasn't seen as appropriate for someone of her status.

Quintero's narrative and Pena's art work well together. Iturbide said she doesn't like her work being called magical, but rather a shifting narrative and road
Molly
The art of this graphic novel is beautiful, but it barely compares to the photographs taken by Graciela Iturbide. I was astonished that I'd never heard of this amazing photographer and incredibly glad that the authors of this volume provided a list of references for exploring her work. The photos are gorgeous, even when the subject matter is a bit rough. (I was not, for example, prepared for a beautifully composed but still disturbing shot of someone holding a slaughtered goat.) I can't recommen ...more
Rogene Carter
Absolutely gorgeous and absolutely unforgettable.
Jennifer Bacall
Oct 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
One of the best graphic novels of 2018, the gorgeous exposition on Photographer Graciela Iturbide is not simply an autobiography about her, it dives into the how and why of her life, artistic and philosophical choices.

Author Isabel Quintero uses very few words to tell the story but they are carefully chosen and artfully constructed.

"I photograph and exist in the in-between: those spaces where unknown worlds, real and imagined, intersect."

"I choose photography over tradition."

"Cholos in Tijuana
Kris
Mar 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I adored this short graphic biography about the life of Mexican photographer Graciela Iturbide. The Getty Museum has done an outstanding job of pulling together an award winning writer and graphic artist to bring this story to print. The book includes 25 of Iturbide's mythical photographs including "Our Lady of the Iguanas," "Magnolia Juchitan," and "Angel Woman." Treat yourself to this gorgeous foray into the life and art of an amazing Mexican artist.
Victoria Waddle
Nov 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I was excited to learn that Isabel Quintero wrote a new YA book because my students had enjoyed Gabi: A Girl in Pieces so much. (I only use the past tense because I retired; they are most likely still enjoying it.) However, it wasn’t until I went to a reading event last weekend in Riverside, where Quintero was one of the authors, that I realized the new book is not a novel, but graphic nonfiction.

Photographic: The Life of Graciela Iturbide was commissioned by the J. Paul Getty Museum in Los Ange
Abby
Sep 09, 2018 added it
I did not think I knew anything about this person, Graciela Iturbide, but while reading I realized had seen some of the photographs—and remembered them. This is just the beginning of why I think you should immediately get off your duff and go seek out Photographic, which is a visually gorgeous and beautifully written account of an artist's development and the way she thinks about her art.

As a representation of someone's life, this book blows my mind. I struggled to think of it as a "biography,"
Petra
Mar 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
I was provided an eARC via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

Before requesting this book I didn't know anything about Graciela Iturbide and if it wasn't for the camera on the cover I wouldn't even know she is a photographer. I know little to nothing about photography and I was never interested in learning more. I don't know what pulled me to request this biography because I usually don't read non-fiction and if I read it, it's about someone I'm really interested in. I think it was becau
David
Nov 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Quintero and Peña’s artfully crafted graphic biography of Graciela Iturbide glides readers back and forth through Iturbide’s life, circling and briefly roosting in the locations where Iturbide graciously engages others through her camera. Quintero guides readers through direct address. Her poetic prose brings into focus the life of one of Mexico’s preeminent photographers with precise diction and powerful imagery. As if in conversation with Quintero, Iturbide narrates her own story in prose unhi ...more
Juliaruth
I loved reading this. The way Graciela was written is beautiful & intriguing. I studied photography & she was not brought to my attention before(one of her images is familiar), now I am going to find some if her collections to explore!
Andrea Bullock
Apr 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Amazing graphic novel that describes the development of a artistic/photographic eye. Includes several photographs by Graciela Iturbide as well as drawings of the events and locations she photographs. She takes exclusively b/w photos with film and prints them. The line drawings capture the starkness and humanity she looks for.
Philip Obaza
Mar 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
A lyrical, intricate look into Graciela Iturbide's career and how she sees the world. Interesting juxtaposition of real photography and graphic novel illustrations that highlight an array of Mexican cultures, people, and environments.
Kären Marroquin
Dec 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Beautiful. I was not familiar with her at all before reading this book, but I am enchanted by her as an artist, woman, Mexican and world traveler. The combination of her photos and the illustrations allow the reader to both see and feel the story.
Sandra Pyeatt
Jun 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018-challenge
A poem composed of biography, drawings, photographs, and meditations on art, this is a book I want to share and discuss, reflect on and reread. I never even heard if the subject, Graciela Iturbide, before I picked it up (one of many holes in my education), and now I feel somehow related to her and want to learn more. Beautiful!
Sonia
Dec 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
I loved this. I read it mostly all in one sitting. I don’t know anything about Iturbide, but this makes her work and life come alive, and the writing is so poetic and lovely.
Tineka
I love how her photographs were depicted throughout this graphic novel. I am curious to see how the young people in my life react to the way her story is told.
JumbleofJargon
Dec 31, 2018 rated it liked it
Will review in 2019

Facts that Stood Out to Me
Graciela Iturbide . . .
- is a photographer, an icon, orgullo mexicano, maestra
- shoots in analog, not digital, and only prints photos in black and white because to her, color is fantasy and reality is black and white

The once nomadic Seris are the indigenous people of the Sonoran Desert and Iturbide is honored to photographing them.

Dreams of an America where mexicanidad is not a reason for marginalization."

Que linda las cholas del White Fence!

Iturbide
Feb 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc-netgalley
Not a photographer I was familiar with. This a stunningly creative depiction of her evolution as an artist, a mix of story, poetry, photos, and graphic novel.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• Grand Theft Horse
  • Esquivel!  Space-Age Sound Artist
  • The Unwanted: Stories of the Syrian Refugees
  • Mama Africa!: How Miriam Makeba Spread Hope with Her Song
  • The Mad Potter: George E. Ohr, Eccentric Genius
  • Between the Lines: How Ernie Barnes Went from the Football Field to the Art Gallery
  • Frida Kahlo and Her Animalitos
  • A Poem for Peter
  • The Inker's Shadow
  • Six Dots: A Story of Young Louis Braille
  • Take a Picture of Me, James Van Der Zee!
  • So Tall Within: Sojourner Truth's Long Walk Toward Freedom
  • Gordon Parks: How the Photographer Captured Black and White America
  • Hermes: Tales of the Trickster (Olympians, #10)
  • All Summer Long
  • The World Is Not a Rectangle: A Portrait of Architect Zaha Hadid
  • Hey, Kiddo
  • Whoosh!: Lonnie Johnson's Super-Soaking Stream of Inventions
Isabel Quintero is a writer, poet, teacher, wife, friend, sister, daughter, granddaughter, aunt niece, and a bunch of other things. She lives in the Inland Empire, where she was born and raised by Mexican immigrant parents and Mexican immigrant granddparents; the hospital where she was born in was converted to a Lowe's hardware store. That's how long ago she was born.

She learned to love reading a
“We are all fragments of one another, strewn across... borders.” 1 likes
“We are all fragments of one another, strewn across.... borders. Different lines in the same poem.” 1 likes