Start by marking “A Date with Darcy (Bookish Boyfriends, #1)” as Want to Read:
A Date with Darcy (Bookish Boyfriends, #1)

A Date with Darcy

(Bookish Boyfriends #1)

Boys are so much better in books. At least according to Merrilee Campbell, fifteen, who thinks real-life chivalry is dead and there’d be nothing more romantic than having a guy woo her like the heroes in classic stories. Then she, her best friend, Eliza, and her younger sister, Rory, transfer to Reginald R. Hero Prep—where all the boys look like they've stepped off the pag ...more
Published May 1st 2018 by Amulet Paperbacks

Biz (Formerly Rachael)
Jan 03, 2018 marked it as ummm-what
you tryna tell me that she's read all the classics and the 1 (one) couple out of all those books whose love story she wants to emulate is flipping Romeo and Juliet
Carrie
Apr 22, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Merrilee Campbell is the star of this young adult contemporary romance read in which this somewhat of a book nerd teen longs for romance like she's read in the classics. Merri is transferring to a new school with her best friend and younger sister and hopes that this year will be different for her.

Starting our at Hero High Merri finds herself studying Romeo and Juliet in class and longing for her own Romeo when she meets Monroe Stratford. Not only is Monroe handsome but he quotes Shakespaere an
Scrill
Jan 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc, contemporary, romance, ya
ARC received from the publisher via Netgalley for a fair review

When Merilee transfers from an all girls school to Reginald R. Hero High she thinks it just might be the place she might meet her personal hero. That is, if they can live up to all the bookish boyfriends she's forever dreaming about. Having herself surrounded by actual Romeo's it seems that Merilee might just be living out one of her favorite love stories of all time.

The Story
Okay, so I was really thrown by this book. Initially when
Mlpmom (Book Reviewer)
Mar 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
If ever I've related more to a character in a YA novel, that character would have to be Merrilee. Never have I laughed and smiled my way through a story so much, simply because I got it. I could feel it because in some ways, I've lived it, maybe not as an adult but definitely as a teenager.

Merrilee is my book character soul mate. She understands it, romance, books, boys, and all.

It's been a long time since I wanted to stay up into the wee hours of the morning reading a YA book but this book ch
Sophie Elaina
This was a very cute, light read! Although I did find it kind of boring at times, and the first half of the book definitely lacked the substance I was hoping for. I feel like in the beginning the protagonist lacked something and that made it hard to connect with her and the story. However the second half of the book took a turn and I very much loved it. Before requesting this title on NetGalley I was very intrigued because - A book about a girl who loves books? Sign me up for that anytime. So yo ...more
Emily Ann
Oct 15, 2017 marked it as to-read
Shelves: 2018-releases
A book about bookish boyfriends that is called Bookish Boyfriends which will probably include a bookish boyfriend to add to an ever-growing list of my bookish boyfriends and that enables me to use the phrase 'Bookish Boyfriends' as often in one sentence as I just did and also has a reference to one of the most classic bookish boyfriends (Mr. Darcy) on the cover?
Sign me up.
And yes, it took me an absurd amount of time to figure out the logistics of that sentence. You're welcome.
A.C. Gaughen
May 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Oh. My. GOODNESS!! This book is perfection. I've been a big fan of Schmidt's work since SEND ME A SIGN, and this is Peak Schmidt. The main character, Merrilee, is short, bubbly, and with her nose always in a book, Merri believes in love, romance, and true love's kiss. Which isn't entirely her fault--her parents and older sister all fell in love with the first person they ever kissed, and Merri is looking forward her novel-worthy romance.

But when she starts at a new school, Merri unexpectedly fi
Mary-ellen
Aug 16, 2018 rated it liked it
Probably 3.5 stars.

Two chapters in I was ready to give up on this book. I honestly didn't believe I could read a whole book from this protagonist's point of view. The voice felt forced. The writing was self-conscious. And I wasn't engaged. As I progressed the writing became less obvious and I ended up enjoying it.

A Date with Darcy is essentially a retelling of Pride and Prejudice in an elite school setting. As such, it's pretty predictable. However, from the start I was hoping for a non-Darcy en
Kelly
An absolutely adorable read, following a girl named Merrilee who believes boys are better in books. Until those boys start showing up at school and maybe...aren't as great as she believes them to be.

No need to know Austen to love this, though I suspect readers who are fans of Pride and Prejudice will pick up on some additional things.

Pitch perfect for younger YA readers, too. This reminded me a bit of Avalon High by Meg Cabot, and I think there's a nice pairing to be had there.
-`ˏ maci ˎ´˗
Jan 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites

Thank you, Abrams Books, for allowing me to read this extraordinary book!

“Boys are so much better in books.”

It is a truth universally acknowledged that if you haven't read this book yet, you need to. When I say that this book blew me away, I am not lying. I adored Bookish Boyfriends. It plastered a stupid grin on my face for 99.9% of the story. I connected with this book and the characters on
Stacy Fetters
Apr 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
"Too bad book boyfriends gave paper cuts when you tried to snuggle.

We have all been in this position where we fall in love and swoon over the dreamy man/woman in a book. You just imagine their arms wrapped around you on the toughest of days and they will make it all better. Sigh!

This book is for all of us who ever had a crush on a book character and wasn't ashamed of it. I'm totally not ashamed to admit that I have may a few bookish men in my life that I wish was real. *cough* Prince Cardan *co
Lauren Stoolfire
I received an ARC from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

As far as sixteen year-old Merrilee is concerned, boys in books are much better than boys in real life. What she wouldn't give to have a real boy sweep her off of her feet into a whirlwind romance like her favorite book boyfriends. She's about to get the chance of a lifetime when she, her best friend, and her sister start at a prestigious new high school, but things don't always turn out the same way for her as they do for her fav
Delores
Jul 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: faves-of-2018, humor
AHHHHH!!!!!!!!! This was so funny and cute. I definitely need more books like this. It was so sweet and I just wanted to die from cuteness overload through most of it.
Rosanna Threakall

LOVED the Shakespeare references but ultimately didn't connect.
Irena
Jul 24, 2018 rated it liked it
Who wouldn’t want a date with Darcy?
I don’t know… I was never Darcy’s kind of girl (I think Adrian Ivashkov would suit me better) but I’d still want to go on a date with Darcy, just like probably every bookish girl in this world would. Yet, our main protagonist Marrilee had a chance to really live that dream (and thank God she’s just a fictional character, because so many of us would be jealous of her!).

From what I understood, A Date with Darcy came to life in the most amazing way.
Tiffany Schmid
Vani
Jan 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc-s, ya
Okay. I was immediately attracted to Bookish Boyfriends. The premise just sounded way too cute, and I knew that if it was half as adorable as it sounded, I'd be on board. I had NO IDEA how much I would love this book.

The writing is so. effing. cute. Fun, hilarious, intelligent. The word that comes immediately to mind is effortless. The tone is so lighthearted that I flew through the pages easily and readily. At no point did it slow down or become less interesting for me.

The characters are just c
Mary H
Jul 18, 2017 marked it as to-read
GIMME GIMME GIMME GIMME GIMME
Kayla
May 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was just such a relatable cute fluffy contemporary that was so amazing to read. I was highly anticipating this book and now I've read it, I'm so happy it didn't fall flat.
Becky
This book was good! It had really good writing, a decently developed plot and some fascinating notions towards the importance of books and what they can give an individual, and how sometimes life can be just like a book (or not)!

The only issue I had with this book was that it just didn’t gel with me for some reason. I can’t explain why - it just didn’t sit well with me. I didn’t really feel like I knew the characters or could relate to them in any way, and I didn’t find the story gripping enoug
☆Dani☆ ☆Touch My Spine Book Reviews☆
Man, I was so excited for this novel! I mean who can go wrong with a title like that. Well it did go wrong in a few ways unfortunately. I thought it was cute and fun even though it was a bit slow and it just ended all messy and I can't even describe my feels for this book besides being torn!
Sydney
Mar 09, 2018 rated it liked it
I received this book for free via NetGalley in exchange for a review.

I actually really enjoyed this book! I picked it up at first because, come on, how many times had I thought boys are better in books? I just owed it to myself.

Merrilee is such a fun main character. She’s daydreamy and wacky and awkward and to be honest, a complete mess. But I loved her. She was me, in a weird way, and I loved watching her be headstrong.

Her best friend, Eliza, was equally great, although basically her complet
Jen
Jan 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
That was adorable and loads of fun! Merrilee’s enthusiasm for all things books, boys, and swoon-worthy romance was palpable. (And completely relatable.) Do your-bookish-self a favor and read it.

*Thank you to Abrams for providing a copy in exchange for an honest review.*
Eeva
Jun 27, 2018 rated it it was ok
I wanted to like this book so BADLY! Unfortunately most things about it annoyed me and made me roll my eyes so hard that I almost saw my brain.

1. Names. Merilee, Monroe, FIELDING. Bc YA apparently.
2. The main character is so slappable it's not funny anymore. She's supposed to be super smart with IQ so high it would kill her if she jumped off it and yet she makes the stupidest decissions, misinterpretes what people do/say and then fixated on it, she's boy-obsessed ans she falls in looooooove on h
Mariana Quesada
Jan 04, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: audiobooks
I think every reader has had a crush with a literary character, and our MC from this one is no exception. Now imagine those crushes and stories came to life and made you the protagonist, dream come true right?

I loved: the entertainment level, the funny bits, the book references and bookworm identification, the characters and the pace.

This was so cute, I feel I would have loved it when I was 16 years-old. As much as it entertained me and made me swoon at times, some bits felt too forced. The para
Crystal
Jun 29, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: library-books
This was so cheesy and cutesy. I did like a lot of the literary references and what not but overall it was just way over the top.
Rachel Strolle
May 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Super cute! I def know this will go over really well with middle schoolers which makes me suuuuuuuper happy
Genni Eccles
Feb 26, 2018 rated it liked it
The first 60% of the book was around a two star read, but the last 40% was a 4 star read. Full review to come
Saw
May 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
It was the last day of summer when I finished this book. According to my mom, I was supposed to sleep early and get up early the next day. But at that time, I was 65% done with this book which meant I could finish it that night. Staying up until midnight just to finish a book is no surprising for us, readers. Yes, I didn't even feel sleepy the next day. You know why? This book was worth it!

This book is about a girl, Merilee Campbell, who was a big reader (Yes! I know! Just like us!) She would ju
Miranda (MrsLeif's Two Fangs About It)
Going into this book, I was hoping for a cute and fluffy contemporary novel, and that is exactly what I got! This book was as sweet as cotton candy, which was adorable and fun.

At first, I did have a hard time getting into this book because it was a bit slow and the characters felt SO young. I didn't care that the characters were younger than me, but this was a YA book where I could really feel how young the characters were. The dialogue in this book just had a young and childlike vibe to it, wh
Cassandra
Okay so my book club and I picked this book and I had originally been super excited for it because this is literally any romance reader's dream, but I'm not too sure how I'm feeling about it. It was good and cute - I don't know where I checked out though. Maybe I never checked into being completely invested? I don't know.

You know those books where you're reading the story but if you were to be experiencing it all in real life, it'd feel as though you were glossy-eyed and dazed the entire time? N
Goodreads Librari...: Please update description 2 14 Mar 20, 2019 01:55PM
  • Summer of Love (Holidays With Jane, #4)
  • Prejudice & Pride
  • Writing Jane Austen
  • The Taming of the Drew
  • Mr. Darcy Forever (Austen Addicts #3)
  • Now a Major Motion Picture
  • The Other Way Around
  • Grimoire Noir
  • Awaiting the Moon
  • All the Ways to Here
  • Truly, Wildly, Deeply
  • We Regret to Inform You
  • I Am Out With Lanterns
  • Approximately Yours (North Pole, Minnesota #3)
  • 500 Words or Less
  • The Jane Austen Guide to Happily Ever After
  • Cut the Lights
  • This Song Is (Not) for You
Tiffany Schmidt is the author of Send Me a Sign, Bright Before Sunrise, and Hold Me Like a Breath (Once Upon a Crime Family book 1).

She’s found her happily ever after in Pennsylvania with her saintly husband, impish twin boys, and a pair of mischievous puggles.

You can find out more about her and her books at: TiffanySchmidt.com, TiffanySchmidtWrites.Tumblr.com or by following her on Twitter @Tif

Bookish Boyfriends (2 books)
  • The Boy Next Story (Bookish Boyfriends, #2)