Start by marking “The 5 O'Clock Band” as Want to Read:
The 5 O'Clock Band

The 5 O'Clock Band

In this companion to the Caldecott Honor and Coretta Scott King Award–winning Trombone Shorty, join a scrappy young musician named Shorty on a tour of his beloved New Orleans. After letting his band down by missing rehearsal, Shorty has some serious questions about what it means to be a leader. He hits the streets of New Orleans to find some answers and soak up inspiration ...more
Published June 19th 2018 by Harry N. Abrams

To ask other readers questions about The 5 O'Clock Band, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The 5 O'Clock Band

Tegan
Another amazing collaboration by Trombone Shorty and Bryan Collier! Having been to New Orleans (where I was lucky enough to meet them both and have them sign this book), I truly felt as if I was transported back while reading this. What a wonderful book about following ones dream and being true to your heritage and yourself.
Theresa Grissom
Mar 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Having been to New Orleans and having loved Trombone Shorty, I enjoyed this book. I did like the first book better though. I think people of New Orleans will appreciate this more than most. Has a good lesson to it.
Cindy Mitchell *Kiss the Book*
The 5 o'clock Band by Troy "Trombone Shorty" Andrews PICTURE BOOK Abrams Books for young readers 2018 $18 1419728369

BUYING ADVISORY: EL (K-3), EL - ESSENTIAL

AUDIENCE APPEAL: HIGH

Shorty plays the trombone in the 5 O'Clock Band. They meet everyday after school and homework and parade through the streets of Tremé down to Jackson Square in New Orleans, but today, Shorty was practicing and lost track of time, so the band left without him. "One day I want to be a bandleader, but how can that happen
Tasha
Aug 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
This second picture book by Andrews takes the reader on a trip through New Orleans. Shorty and his friends had formed a band. They called themselves the 5 O’Clock Band because that’s when they gathered to play. One day, Shorty got so caught up in his music that he missed the meeting time of the band. He tried to catch up with them, bringing the reader along on his walk past New Orleans landmarks and meeting musicians on the streets. Shorty longs to be a great bandleader and as he looks for his b ...more
Tracy
Oct 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Thanks to the Kid Lit Exchange for the review copy. All opinions are my own.

THE 5 O'CLOCK BAND is the second book written by Troy "Trombone Shorty" Andrews with illustrator Bryan Collier. Both are about Trombone Shorty's childhood. Both bring New Orleans culture to life on the page. This one is more episodic—a day in the young life of Trombone Shorty.

I liked that as we walked through the day—a day when Trombone Shorty missed his daily show with the 5 O'Clock Band—we learn from neighborhood peop
Lisa Burris
Oct 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
In stunningly visual art, this, the second book by New Orleans musician, Troy "Trombone" Shorty, takes the reader on a tour of the Treme neighborhood where Troy grew up. Taking a story from Troy's own life, The 5 O'Clock Band, the title taken from a brass band that Troy helped found when he was a child, teaches the character of Shorty what it takes to be a successful musician: dedication, tradition, and love. Along the way, NOLA culture is highlighted, in visits to Mardi Gras Indians and a Dooky ...more
Helen Ladson
Jul 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I looooove Jazz music! I think that it is the evolution of the genre that intrigues me MOST! New Orleans ( or N'awlins as I like to call it) is truly a gumbo pot of wonderful music all bubbling around in one city. It is there, that Jazz began to formulate in 1895 after mixing Zyteco, Ragtime, Gospel and Blues. I really enjoyed this book and I would love to read Mr. Andrews first book! It is truly wonderful to read and see one with such musical talent pouring into the lives of children and adults ...more
Bruce
Jul 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
In this sequel to Trombone Shorty, Troy Andrews continues his reminiscences of childhood in New Orleans, and the after-school band he and his friends formed when he was a boy: The 5 O'clock Band. He and co-author Taylor have slightly fictionalized the story to emphasize the values of the Tremé neighborhood: the traditions of music, love, hospitality, and dedication to their art. Collier’s pen and ink, watercolor and collage portray the moral vividly.
Jana
This wonderful companion to Trombone Shorty takes young readers on a musical tour of New Orleans. The author shares his experience as a young musician who is sad because he's late for his band's daily afternoon music parade around the neighborhood. But helpful friends and neighbors along the way teach him what leadership is all about. This book would be great for budding musicians and also a great way to help develop a growth mindset.
Bmack
This is a great book to follow up last years Monarch book Trombone Shorty. It is about the same topic and time period but has more text and detail. Still had great message of what it takes to be good as something, dedication, tradition and love. The back of the book has more pictures and background information about his life. It is easy to read but older students will find it interesting as well.
Marcie
I loved Trombone Shorty and I love this one even more. Illustrations are magnificent. I love the triptic double page spread of Shorty playing "When the Saints Go Marchin In." Photos and author's and illustrator's notes are just frosting on the cake. Love Brian Collier's dedication - don't miss it!
Rachel
This book is the follow up tale to Trombone Shorty done by the same author and illustrator. For those folks who have spent time in NOLA, this book has a great feel of nostalgia to it. The music, the food, the Mardi Gras Indians, etc... Troy's tale continues to be interesting, uplifting, and encouraging for young people. It's especially a gem for young ones interested in music.
Shana
Feb 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Music, music, music. I love music. It should be mandatory. But fun. It's hard to write music into books, but the author and illustrator did this beautifully. The color and vibrancy and the music! The history and heartache... A beautiful story (also about community, commitment, determination) definitely worth reading.
Anthony
The story about a young man who questions his leadership after he fails to meet up with his band to play. This story takes place in New Orleans, and shares some of the history of the music culture that originated out of New Orleans, and the people, who influenced the sound, long before Jazz had a name.
Jillian
Jul 26, 2018 rated it liked it
Very cool book with vibrant illustrations - what does it take to be the best bandleader? What does it take to do anything well, really? Love, Tradition, and Dedication. Excellent qualities for anybody to aspire to have.

(The note at the back made me sad - laws limiting public music performances....in NEW ORLEANS?)
Becky
Jun 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Yeah, it's a children's picture book, but it reminds me of watching the HBO series "Treme". Shout out to Peggy Michelin who put a hold on it for me at the library, EVEN THOUGH she didn't watch TREME (too much music?!? WHAT??), she did take a pic of the Treme street sign.
Cara Byrne
Jul 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
"We have dedication. We honor tradition. And, most of all, we play with love. Now I know what it takes to lead." Another joyful celebration of Trombone Shorty and his city of Treme see through the musician's eye. A bit more text heavy compared to its companion book (which I highly recommend).
Pam
Jun 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Trombone Shorty shares about his first band with his friends. He learns about being a band leader from the adults in his life.
Vividly colored illustrations help bring this book to life.
Info text at the end.
Rachel
So lovely, the rich illustrations are amazing and bring the story to life.
Kristen Thorp
Jan 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
25/365
wildct2003
Jan 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Entertaining read. Worthy follow up.
Michelle
Aug 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The illustrations and story combine together to make the reader feel as if they are in New Orleans. This is one of my new favorite books!
Tammy
This book takes readers on a tour of New Orleans during Mardi Gras. Don't miss the end pages where you can learn about the read 5 o'clock band.
Lisa
Oct 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
An inspiring story about honoring commitments, striving to do better, and listening to the grown-ups. For my full review, visit http://kissthebook.blogspot.com
Sandy
Jul 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Colorful illustrations and an entertaining tale about the City of New Orleans, its music, and its people.
Ms Threlkeld
A smidge heavy-handed, but fun peek into a boy’s life in NOLA.
Debbie Tanner
This book is a study in New Orleans culture with a lesson on personal growth woven into it. It's going to make an excellent mentor text!
Janice
Jul 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
An excellent book about music and character. I would recommend this to children interested in music, New Orleans, and personal goals.
Trixie
Aug 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Love Trombone Shorty's message in this book about leadership. Beautiful illustrations and enjoyed the notes at the end.
Marianne
Oct 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
A fun discussion of what qualities lead to success.... no, seriously, it's fun! Partly because the pictures have so much energy.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »