Start by marking “Grandma Gatewood Hikes the Appalachian Trail” as Want to Read:
Grandma Gatewood Hikes the Appalachian Trail

Grandma Gatewood Hikes the Appalachian Trail

Emma Gatewood’s life was far from easy. In rural Ohio, she managed a household of 11 kids alongside a less-than-supportive husband. One day, at age 67, she decided to go for a nice long walk . . . and ended up completing the Appalachian Trail.

With just the clothes on her back and a pair of thin canvas sneakers on her feet, Grandma Gatewood hiked up ridges and down ravin
Published May 8th 2018 by Harry N. Abrams

To ask other readers questions about Grandma Gatewood Hikes the Appalachian Trail, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Grandma Gatewood Hikes the Appalachian Trail

Jasmine from How Useful It Is
About: Grandma Gatewood Hikes the Appalachian Trail is a children’s nonfiction picture book written and illustrated by Jennifer Thermes. It will be published on 5/8/18 by Abrams Books for Young Readers, an imprint of Hachette Book Group, hardcover, 48 pages. The genres are children’s books, nonfiction, picture books, and biography. This book is intended for readers ages 5 to 7, grades K to 2.

My Experience: I started reading Grandma Gatewood Hikes the Appalachian Trail on 3/29/18 as a bedtime sto
Margie
May 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Every single day people walk from one point to the other within their homes, from their homes to school and places of work. They walk on pathways designated for walkers or make their own trails through fields, forests or along waterways. Some walk because they lack another mode of transportation. Others walk for the exercise. And many walk for the sheer joy of being able to walk.

For me, walking with my dog is a peaceful time to reflect on current events in my life, my country and the world as a
Brenda Kahn
Informative biography of the first woman to successfully hike the Appalachian Trail end-to-end. Soft watercolor illustrations and spot art. Double-page spreads featuring map segments of the trail. Backmatter includes more information about Emma and the trail as well as select sources and a timeline. A photograph of Emma would've been a nice touch.
Deborah
Wearing canvas sneakers and carrying a small, homemade sack, at 67, Emma Gatewood left her home in Ohio to be the first woman to hike the entire Appalachian Trail. She was kindly welcomed by strangers along the way; she met boy scouts, and encountered bears and hurricanes... but no matter what happened, she kept on walking. Thermes intersperses her story with maps showing different sections of the trail, as she makes her way from Georgia to Maine. My favorite spreads are expansive, two pages wid ...more
Lynn
Dec 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Charming illustrations and well done interesting text. I especially love the maps! Fascinating back matter about both Gatewood and the trail itself.
Laura G
I love the idea of a picture book about this woman who was the first to thru-hike the Appalachian Trail--when she was 67! Colorfully illustrated maps show the trail route through the states. The illustrations in general are colorful and add to the story. Some of the text is a bit awkward, like the use of the word "tramp" and the paragraph that talks about when she read about the trail in the magazine. I also found that it didn't always flow from page to page. The story was interspersed with maps ...more
Jana
Most of the fifth grade students that I taught in the last couple of years complained about all of the walking we did on our Metro Parks field trips. While there are lots of kids who enjoy being out in nature and hiking, there are still more who rarely walk more than a block or two and spend little to no time outdoors. So this awesome picture book biography about a 67-year-old woman walking the entire length of the Appalachian Trail (2,160 miles) by herself is a great way to inspire a growth min ...more
Karen
Jun 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-book
Emma Gatewood married young and bore eleven children. She eventually divorced her husband and raised the large family alone, finding respite by walking the hills and woods around her home. One day she read a story that inspired her to walk the Appalachian Trail, perhaps because the article said that no woman had ever done so. Through hardship, bad weather, minor injuries, and with the help of friendly people along the way she made it the entire way!

Biographical in nature, this lovely picture boo
Tasha
Jun 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
At the age of 67, Emma Gatewood became the first woman to hike all 2160 miles of the Appalachian Trail alone. She was also the first person to complete the trail three times. In this picture book, readers follow her along on her historic trek. With accompanying maps, the journey is filled with nature, rocks and streams. There are encounters with bears, plenty of rain, and many pairs of ruined shoes.

The book takes a warm look at her accomplishments, showing exactly why she was drawn to walk the t
Robert Owens
A book club I am involved in is reading Grandma Gatewood's Walk. I need to read it this week. All the Overdrive copies are checked out, so I searched Hoopla. Bingo! But it also had this book. I thought I'd read this first just to get a little background.

Yes, I liked this. Frankly, I think this would be a good read aloud with my fourth graders. Think it will find its way into the classroom.

Determination, perseverance, and a sense of adventure seem to encapsulate Grandma Gatewood. Since hiking th
Martha
Jan 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 3-6-non-fiction
Grandma Gatewood hikes the entire Appalachian Trail when she's 67 years old. A mother of 11 and a true hiker, she welcomes the tranquility of hiking alone, feeling one with nature. Her hike is far from mellow though, she meets a bear in the woods, survives one of the fiercest storms, and meets many kind people along the way. This is a celebration of the Appalachian trail with its gorgeous countryside from Georgia to Maine, along with Emma Gatewood an extraordinarily brave hiker. The watercolor a ...more
Tanya
May 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
A simply-told and easy to follow story of the first woman to hike -in 1955 at the age of 67 - the 2,190-mile Appalachian Trail alone (though with plenty of help from many people along the way and including an additional section in Georgia no longer considered part of the trail). Delightful soft watercolor and color pencil illustrations evoke the simplicity of the era and Grandma Gatewood's attitude of joy and adventure during her second attempt thru-hiking from Georgia to Maine. Colorful maps he ...more
Jason
Jun 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
I loved this book, but I'm definitely biased, having notched almost 500 miles on the AT myself. Grandma Gatewood is a legend in AT culture, and it's pretty remarkable that she's not the only senior citizen to hike the trail. I met a woman who was section hiking, state by state. She would hike in for a couple days then hike back out. She'd finished 7 or 8 states-which she'd essentially done twice! The best part was that she was in her MID-SEVENTIES and was hiking solo. Yeah, you read that right.
Linda
Feb 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What a precious story! There are so many similarities between Grandma Gatewood and myself - both same age as when she did her first thru-walk, both grandmas, both love to walk and hike and I have also walked parts of the AT. (No desire to do the complete trail, though!) This was a very cute writing and adorable illustrations. I plan to share it with my youngest granddaughter, Emma, who also likes to hike!
mary dewley
Jun 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Grandma Gatewood's journey began after reading an article in a National Geographic magazine at the doctor's office! She was 66 and already divorced when she made her first attempt at walking the Appalachian Trail by herself. It wasn't until 1955 that she completed it at the age of 67 and become the first woman to do so by herself. Very inspiration and heart warming story about the kindness of strangers and the courage and bravery of one woman to change her life and re-discover herself.
Christine
The subject of adventures hiking the Appalachian Trail holds my children's attention and mine, but there are some aspects of the writing of this book that annoyed me, e.g., a reference to "the occasional tramp" and the decision to exclude a failed attempt at hiking the trail from the main text (it was mentioned in the author's note).
Susie
Dec 24, 2018 rated it liked it
I can't believe that I had not heard of Grandma Gatewood before. I always like the use of maps in a book, but I thought these were almost overwhelming. I also thought the text was a bit misleading in that it did not mention that she had tried once before the successful trip. I also did not realize that there are several books about her.
Patricia
Feb 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Inspiring new nonfiction Picture Book Grandma Gatewood Hikes the Appalachian Trail. Makes me want to go out and hike the trail! I loved the illustrated maps allowing readers to visit specific places on the Appalachian Trail.
Barb
Mar 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed this story with its beautifully drawn pictures. Grandma Gatewood is a plain spoken woman who at age 67 in 1955 decides to thru hike the Appalachian Trail. This book is a must add book to your picture book library to showcase girl power.
Amanda Walz
Nov 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a beautifully illustrated story about Emma Gatewood the first woman, at the age of 67 to walk the entire Appalachian trail in one summer. It made me look her up and read more about Ms. Gatewood. I really want to read more books on her.
Sue
Jul 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
I have read the 'adult' version of Emma Gatewood's story .. it was several years ago but I remember it being a very interesting story... Jennifer Thermes has created an interesting book both with the story and visuals of maps along the way with facts about places along the trail...
Anthony
Sep 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Historical tale of Emma "Grandma" Gatewood, who at the age of sixty-five in 1955 became the first woman to hike the 2,160 mile Appalachian Trail, America's longest footpath. She became quite the celebrity, and was interviewed by a brand new sports magazine, "Sports Illustrated".
Marcia
A beautiful book about the first female through-hiker on the Appalachian Trail. Inspiring, and with lots of information about the trail as well.
Mary
Apr 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Kid's book. Good intro to Grandma Gatewood.
Denise
Nov 10, 2018 rated it liked it
Good introduction to the life of an amazing woman who did an amazing thing.
Elementary.
Nice illustrations and easy-to-follow maps.
Michele Knott
Loved reading this one! A fascinating read, an amazing feat and a story I had never heard before!
Melinda Bender
Jan 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Love this book! Very inspiring to learn that your never to old to do anything including hiking the Appalachian Trail.
wildct2003
Feb 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A kinder and gentler telling of Grandma’s trek on the AT.
Sasha Wolf
Apr 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful, with good historical notes and references at the end.
Shannon Bishop
Jul 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
True story of a woman who hiked the Appalachian Trail three times! She is the first woman to hike it completely. The book gives great details about her hike and the trail.
Jennifer Thermes is a children’s book author, illustrator, and map illustrator. School Library Journal had this to say about her most recent book, GRANDMA GATEWOOD HIKES THE APPALACHIAN TRAIL: "Beautiful illustrations and an emphasis on the value of nature, determination, and grit make this a great nonfiction selection." CHARLES DARWIN'S AROUND-THE-WORLD ADVENTURE was a 2017 Outstanding Science Tr ...more