Start by marking “Defiant Attraction” as Want to Read:
Defiant Attraction

Defiant Attraction

4.07  ·  Rating details ·  73 Ratings  ·  59 Reviews
Dan might be the enemy of my enemy, but I’m not sure that makes him my friend. He’s definitely not my ‘step brother’, no matter what everyone at school says. Honestly, I don’t know what he’s supposed to be to me. Or what he’s becoming…

Fact: for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction.

In the yearbook, I’ll be Sophia Ramos: Valedictorian. Years of honor roll
ebook
Published November 2017

To ask other readers questions about Defiant Attraction, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Defiant Attraction

Eve Recinella (Between The Bookends)

description
descriptionSo color me impressed because this is V.K. Torston's debut book and it was a very good debut indeed. It was a fairly quick read. It was very well written and well paced. The plot was engaging and had a lot more depth to it than I was anticipating. To be honest, I saw STEPBROTHER and figured it would be a light, flirty, skim the surface type of read. It was so much more than that. The journey of self-discovery both these characters take will break your heart one minute and have you smiling the
Cristina | CristiinaReads
Sep 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc-books
➳Have not read a step-siblings novel in a long time so we will see how this one goes...

➳ARC kindly provided by author, in exchange for an honest review coming closer to release date...

➳Follow Me On:
BlogInstagramFacebookTwitter
Tijuana *BookTwinsReviews*
3.75 Stars

I loved the premise and setup! The characters are solid. The writing is a bit too flowery, but smart and engaging. All in all, this was a pretty good read from a new to me author.

Here's the breakdown: Dan and Sophia couldn't possibly being any different from each other. He's been nicknamed Dangerous Dan, while she's been called studious Sophia. What brings them together are their parents relationship. These two end up as stepsiblings living under one roof. When their parent's relation
Book-Bosomed  blog
Nov 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
4.25 Stars

Sophie Ramos's mom and Daniel Cole’s dad have been living together, drinking together, and fighting together. While their parents might be cut from the same cloth, Sophie and Dan are textbook opposites. She’s the cello playing honor student; he’s the tattooed high school drop-out.

Sophie, 18, and Dan, 20, aren’t really step-siblings, but it seems that people see them in that role. In one sense I felt the taboo aspect was a little forced since their parents weren’t really married and the
Dianne
Sep 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Perceived taboos, dysfunctional home life, opposites attracting, drawn like moths to a flame of need. V.K. Torston’s DEFIANT ATTRACTION is a gritty, emotionally tumultuous love story in a setting surrounded by small minds, small hearts and a rather hideous human need to tear down something they do not understand.

Sophie was the ultimate good girl, studious and determined to make something of herself to escape the world she has grown up in. Dan has already been labeled, “punished” and publicly cal
Beatrix
Oct 25, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2017
3.5 stars!

I've gotten an ARC copy of this book (thank you!), I've read it in one night, and forgotten to review it. Bad blogger!

I liked it! Very strong 3.5 stars. It's a different take on the stepbrother romance, so I'd recommend it if you're looking for something different!
It's marketed as NA, but I'd say it has a certain YA feel (coming-of-age of the main heroine), which definitely gives more depth to the story.
Michaelene
Aug 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
But this time it feels as though we’re on the same team. If only I knew the object of the game.

I love the original blurb on this title--the play on a paradox, the bit of taboo, the irresistible force. It’s a brilliant concept that turns the step-brother trope on its head and made V.K. Torston’s Defiant Attraction a great debut novel.

Studious Sophie and Dangerous Dan, the pair of us occupied vastly different spheres.

I enjoyed Sophia immensely. She’s the valedictorian of her class, and she works h
Rê
Oct 16, 2017 rated it really liked it

4 “(Almost) Stepbrother” Stars

ARC provided by the author.

Thank you!

Fans of forbidden romance, welcome and enjoy, because this book is so good.

I had a pretty good idea I’d enjoy this book when I read an excerpt and immediately connect with the main character’s voice. There’s just something special about how Sophia Ramos tells her story, and the more I read, the more I was taken by how eloquent she was without sounding like someone twice her age.

I try to think of each fight like an earthquake--a r
MillsyLovesBooks
Nov 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com

"Actioni contrariam semper et æqualem esse reactionem.
For every action, there is always an equal and opposite reaction."

Defiant Attraction is the debut novel for author V.K. Torston and wow what a debut it novel it was. I loved it! The storyline was original, the tension palpable, and the angst had me turning page after page to see what was to come next. I loved the characters and couldn't get enough of this sexy romance.

This book took me by surprise in the best possible way. I'll be honest and
AJ
Nov 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
4 stars

Whoa, this little book took me by surprise! V.K. Torston’s debut novel is a raw and gritty, emotional read that is all about the beauty and intensity of first love in the face of torment and misperception, about finding yourself and figuring out what is important, and then fighting for what you want the most. It’s a beautifully written story full of heartache, sweet and fun moments and hope, and I loved it!

Sophie is a smart and serious high school senior who has the world at her feet. Val
Christina
Oct 26, 2017 rated it liked it
3 Stars - 3 Flames

Is this the first book from this author? I don't think I've read or heard of her before. Hmmmmm, I digress... For a first timer, I enjoyed this book. I'm always a little skeptical when reading about a "stepbrother" situation, but lets face it. This isn't really one of those books. In fact, I didn't see anything wrong with the way the whole thing went down. But whatevs.

Sophia is a senior in high school. She's the upcoming Valedictorian and is an amazing cellist. Her mom has bee
Bookgasms Book Blog
Nov 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: shelly
One thing was abundantly clear to me as I voraciously devoured this debut novel: Ms. Torston has a gift for storytelling. No lie. I was basically addicted to this story. I was charmed by the writing right out the gate, and by the time I was just over halfway through, I literally couldn't put the book down. I was glued to my Kindle as Dan & Sophia navigated their way through their unconventional (and slightly taboo - but not really) relationship.

This is a super quick read and it moves incredi
Hanna's Book Obsession
Nov 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
{I received this as an ARC in exchange for an Honest Review}

This book was really good! I enjoyed reading this one so much! Dan and Sophia are great characters and they are so cute together. This was very hot! They have a lot of chemistry and you can feel the connection they share. This was such an interesting take on the Stepbrother romance trope. It gave me all the forbidden feels without it actually being forbidden. It was written so well.

Sophia has everything going for her. She is valedictori
Ellen at Book Bellas
“It’s as if he needs to feel all of me at once and I need the same.”

What a fantastic debut book! I can tell from the first page of a book whether it has that elusive "it" factor that will keep me engaged and invested in the characters. And 'Defiant Attraction' certainly has that quality. While I would have loved a little more background on both main characters, overall this was a sexy, well-written story that shows tons of promise for this author.

Daniel and Sophie live under the same roof but
Vanessa (nessreads)
Nov 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
*ARC kindly provided in exchange for an honest review*

4.5 Stars!!!

V.K. Torston's debut book was an absolute gem. It has been awhile since I read a step-siblings book and Defiant Attraction definitely quenched my thirst. Not over-the-top complicated and with little to no drama. It had two likable main characters that brought the heat and tender moments. And a storyline that was seamless. A very enjoyable read.

Sophia was a heroine that has a bright future. An honors student and cello player and ha
Serena
Aug 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
4 RUN AWAY WITH ME STARS

This is V.K. Torston's debut and I loved it! The storyline was original, the tension palpable, and the angst had me turning the pages. I loved the characters and couldn't get enough of this short and sexy romance.

Dan and Sophia's journey was forbidden, heart punching and written in a way that had me rooting for them from the beginning. These characters are just so likeable. Scratch that. Lustable. The more I read, the more I wanted. And the sex scenes. GOD. JESUS. HOLY HE
Miranda Silver
Sep 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Studious good girl and rebellious bad boy. Opposites attracting. Secrecy. Forbidden love. Blurred lines between enemies, friends, and lovers. Characters who begin with a brother/sister-type relationship.

Let's just say Defiant Attraction features a mix of tropes that are like catnip for me.

But Torston's debut novel is so much more than the sum of its tropes. The writing is heartbreakingly gorgeous, the observations keenly edged. Dan and Sophie's relationship -- as it flowers, surprisingly, fr
Amy
Aug 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
4 hot and sexy stars!

Defiant Attraction is the debut novel for author V.K. Torston and wow was it one sexy read!! I knew from the second that I read the synopsis of this story that this book was right up my alley and I had to read it.

Defiant Attraction took me by surprise in the best possible way. I thought it was written well and I was pulled into the story immediately. The story starts off with a bit of a taboo premise, but I promise you, there is a lot more to this story than meets the eye. D
Ang -PNR Book Lover Reviews
Aug 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
BFDU
Aug 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
** Provided on behalf of the author for an honest review **
** Review by Kylie from Bloggers From Down Under **

Usually when I've enjoyed a book as much as I did this one, my words to form an honest review, come pretty easily. Ideas form in my mind of what it is exactly I need to say. But this review is kind of tough to write.

Going into this book, I was well aware of the "stepbrother" story-line, and although that alone may turn some readers away, it piqued my interest, even if I'm not entirely su
Arec Rain
Oct 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
I received a complimentary copy in exchange for an honest review.

A steamy and emotional read I wasn’t prepared for. I typically don’t read novels like this but the author asked me if I would be interested, and surprisingly I was. I know there are people out there who have a problem with step sibling romance, but the couple in this novel can’t even be considered that. Their parents are just house mates. That it. Two people who liked each other at one point, not even long enough to be considered
H.Lee
Aug 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
I was so excited to read this book! All the author had to do was mention tattoos and bad boy and I was right on top of downloading this one to my kindle!

I really enjoyed the relationship between Dan & Sophie. They started off hating each other, then they became friends. Before you knew it, they became so much more! Dan was worth much more than his Dad or even Sophie's Mom gave him credit for. Yes, he was into some bad stuff but he just needed someone to love him and let him know that he was
TDCbookreviews
Nov 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Defiant Attraction by V.K. Torston

Genre: Contemporary Romance

About the book: Sophie's mother moves her boyfriend and his son in. Sophia knows he's not quite her stepbrother but she knows she shouldn't touch either. He is the bad boy heartthrob at school yet seems so different at home. Can she keep her hands to herself?

Review: This story was much more than I expected. It wasn't your typical good girl falls for bad boy. It told a story about self discovery and following your heart, not what looks
Lourdes
Sep 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
My review has been posted on Shelly's Book Corner

www.goodreads.com/review/show/2111815108
The Romance Book Disciple (Samantha)

Defiant Attraction is a little gem of a debut book. While not perfect, it was good and I enjoyed it! I think it worked as a shorter book as opposed to being 300+ pages.

You have lots of classic story tropes colliding: step-brother (ish), wrong side of the tracks, rich assholes, drunk/abusive parents. Sophia is a dynamic character who is at that age when her life is before her but she has no idea who she really is. As things start to heat up with Dan, her world becomes less black and white and sh
~lil maso~
Aug 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Actioni contrariam semper et æqualem esse reactionem.
For every action, there is always an equal and opposite reaction.

"Step" taboo stories are a dime a dozen, the latest fad, like seriously, they are popping up Everywhere. And with that fad comes a lot of . . . . well, let's just call a spade a spade, the majority of them are crap. Yeah yeah, hold back on tossing the eggs my way, you know you were thinking the same thing I was.

Defiant Attraction is defiantly in the minority and is

This is one of
Sandie - Books and Tequila Book Blog
Defiant Attraction is V.K. Torston's debut book and I must say it surprised and impressed. Although it can be classified as a taboo read of love between step-siblings, you shouldn’t dismiss it so easily because it’s SO much more.
You wouldn’t think that good girl and valedictorian Sophia Ramos would have anything in common with bad-boy and high school drop-out Daniel Cole but turns out they do. After being rivals for years Sophia and Dan find themselves in an unlikely alliance against their respe
Onnica (I Love Romantic Fiction blog)
Book: Defiant Attraction
Author: VK Torston
Series: a standalone
Release date: 6 November 2017

Main characters: Sophia Ramos, a 'good girl' who's determined to rise above her situation, Daniel Cole, a mystery and so-called 'badboy' and unlikely comrade.

Plot: Sophia Ramos has one thing going for her. Her brain and her academic record is going to get her far away from her toxic home life. Things weren't so bad before her mum decided to let her boyfriend and his son move into the house.

Daniel Cole is a
N. Nieto
Aug 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
FINALLY! After reading step brother after step brother romance I have finally found one where the parents have a more realistic reaction! Don't get me wrong. Some parents maybe cool about it after awhile but lets be real for a minute, not many at all would be cool with it from the beginning like all the other SB romance books I have read.
This book had a more, like I said, realistic feel to it that the other I have read and I think that made it a very very interesting read. I kept waiting for th
« previous 1 3 next »
V.K. Torston is a millennial and ‘cool aunt’ to a brood of nieces and nephews. She was born and raised in San Francisco, attended university in New York City, and aspires to one day live in London. A veteran of the independent music scene, she began writing nonfiction in her late teens. Then she realized that making up stories was way more fun than coming up with endless synonyms for ‘frenetic’ an ...more
More about V.K. Torston...
“Friction made sparks, sparks started fires, fires burned bridges. There’s no coming back from this.” 1 likes
“Right now you’re the only person in the world who feels how I feel. I’m not losing that.” 1 likes