Start by marking “Between a Rock and a Hard Place (London Lads, #5)” as Want to Read:
Between a Rock and a Hard Place (London Lads, #5)

Between a Rock and a Hard Place

(London Lads #5)

Second Edition

Garry’s at the end of his tether. He’s waiting at Glasgow Airport to meet his friend Will, on their way to a holiday in a Scottish Highlands hotel. Now there’s a ten-hour delay to incoming flights, the seat in the lounge is more like an instrument of torture, and he’s beyond tired of airport food.

He’s also dreading having to apologise for the pass he recently
ebook, 2nd Edition, 61 pages
Published August 30th 2017 by Dreamspinner Press (first published October 10th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Between a Rock and a Hard Place, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Between a Rock and a Hard Place

Start your review of Between a Rock and a Hard Place (London Lads, #5)
Chris
Oct 10, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, gay, done, short, 2010, owned, ebook
Very good short m/m romance about a guy waiting at the airport for a very good friend who's been overseas for a final job interview. Since his friend's flight turns out to be delayed 12 hours, he has plenty of time to think about how much he'll miss his friend and how much he screwed up the last time they saw each other. Some very unusual people sit near him and help distract him from his thoughts... or do they?
Mandy*reads obsessively*
Sweet short, Garry is waiting on his best friend Will, whom he loves but he needs a bit of help to realize that.
The help comes in the form of 2 kids. I enjoyed this story, it was a sweet, feel good story, my only complaint was the short time the MCs actually spend together in the story, I wanted just a bit more of them.
Carra
Sep 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Heavy on the sweet and cute, this story was a fun, quick read that had me grinning at the kids’ remarkably precocious insights. Sometimes you just need others to point out the obvious to you, and Max and Emily did this for Garry in their adorable way while serving as a distraction from the huge delay of Will’s flight.

For the majority of the story, we don’t get to see Garry and Will together except for a few flashbacks; most of the plot centers on the kids Garry meets chatting with him and
Ro
Dec 12, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5
A warning in never underestimating children. You never know what their plans might be. Emily and Max are typical children, yet not, who "help" Garry while they are all stuck waiting out The Delay in flights in Scotland. Garry is waiting for his best friend Will, who has been I. America on a job interview and who Garry kissed in a moment of anguish about Will leaving London, and is now afraid their friendship is over; the children are keeping away from their parents, who are fighting while
Deeze
Aug 09, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very sweet little read. Just the thing when you need that little lift.

Loved the little twist at the end too.

Recommend to anyone that likes kids in their stories. These two were perfect.
Lori K
Oct 20, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Ah! This was ADORABLE! I usually can't stand children in MM books but these 2 were brilliant, perfect. Clare London has such a way with words.

I'm still chuckling.
Lori
Aug 11, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: bmbr-reads, series, 2017
3.5

The airport lounge... not the most exciting place on earth, especially when you're waiting for a flight delayed by 10 hours. Not, perhaps, the first place one thinks of when they think romance (well unless like me you watch a gazillion Christmas films where there are inevitably snow-delayed flights and meet-cutes) but this short story captures a sweet story of friends to lovers - even though only one protag is present for a majority of it!

It's really a story of self-examination (of feelings
Tam
Jan 24, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-m
Gary is stuck in the airport in Glasgow. The deal was he would meet his best friend Will who is flying in from the US and they are going to meet up with some friends for a group holiday. Unfortunately The Delay is causing all flights to be late by about 10 hours and since he can't reach the organizers of the holiday and doesn't know the hotel he's stuck waiting, although he promised Will he would wait. He suddenly gets a couple of young kids as companions as he waits and their questions trigger ...more
Calathea
May 05, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-m, contemporary
It's the story of Garry during "The Delay" on Glasgow Airport waiting for his best friend Will and coming to terms with his feelings.

I liked this short, cute story very much. There was a lot I could relate to (the adventures of waiting in public places) and the characters felt very real to me. Although the children talked wise beyond their age they were cute and likeable, just the little angles they looked like. ;-)
Dan
Jul 22, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
WOW! Out of the mouths of babes.
I found myself wanting the kids and Garry to see each other again before the story ended.
Lauren
This was a really cute short story and a total comfort read. If you like stories with adorable kids, then you'll enjoy this one. The best way to describe the whole thing is 'short and sweet' and at the end, I really wanted to hear more. I wanted to know what happened between Will and Garry once they were on their holiday in Scotland and I even wanted to learn more about Allen and Leonard ;) I really like the twist at the end - it made me smile!
Meggie
Jan 19, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lol, those two kids were amazingly annoying, but cute, too. Wow, it was really slow, novella about emotions and true feelings. In general it was a bit to boring for my taste, but the end was good, I liked it!
Enny
Oct 19, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Fantastic book! It was great to read a story that doesn’t do the formula romance and it’s was really funny. “Men strudel” and “piss moustache” alone made me laugh for 30 minutes each. Highly recommended - except for those of you who hate kids.
Heller
Aug 10, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-m, contemporary
This was a quick, sweet read. The little girl was a bit too cutesy for me but I liked how things played out with Garry and Will.
Sep 11, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Laura by: Katie
So much buildup (too much if you ask me) and right at the climax.....BAM! It's over.
Feliz
Sep 15, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: contemporary, m-m, sweet
It was a nice twist, using the kids to make Garry think. A different kind of story for sure, and sweet though not sugary.
Fabulous writing!
Nagisa Furukawa
Mar 29, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Urgh...
Boring!
Cheryl
Oct 06, 2017 rated it liked it
I need to start by saying that I am a fan of CL, Her easy writing style and way of describing the setting, makes her stories a pleasure to read and let's not forget the characters. Slightly quirky but always lovable.

Garry and Will have been friends for years. They both live in London and work together but Will is flying back from a job interview in America and Garry is currently waiting for him in Glasgow airport. With a ten hour flight delay, Garry is at a loss as to what to do to pass the time
ButtonsMom2003
Dec 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Delicious slow burn, friends to lovers story.

Between a Rock and a Hard Place is book 5 in the London Lads series but each story can be read as a standalone. This is only the second story I've read by Clare London and I found it deliciously entertaining. It's not a long book but it was an intriguing and captivating story.

Garry is stuck in an airport waiting for Will and Will's flight has been delayed 10 hours. For anyone who's ever been stuck in an airport because of flight delays you know how
Linda
Sep 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the fifth in the London Lads series and as different from the others and they are from each other. The story is of Garry and Will long time friends who went to college together, work for the same corporation, play together and generally fill out each others lives.
Will has an opportunity to interview for a promotion to corporate headquarters in the states and Will is awaiting his return at Glasgow airport so they can begin then annual vacation with old friends. Due to delays Garry is
Julian White
Oct 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was a rather fun interlude - a short story set in the hell of an airport lounge with ten hour delays for arrivals. Garry, waiting for his best friend to return from an interview in America, is dreading the reunion after losing control at their last meeting. To add to this hellish experience Garry is sandwiched by two children who proceed to mercilessly grill him on every aspect of his life and force him to face the truth.

Partway through I wondwred if this was going to turn out to be one of
Didi
Review for the 2nd Edition

The blurb pretty much say it all. Garry anxiously waiting for his friend's flight and dreading meeting him at the same time. The whole waiting period spent with him either flash back to his time with Will or engages with a pair of children who sit next to him at the airport lounge.

Between the flashbacks and present time, I enjoy the later where the bewildered Garry have to deal with Max and Emily. The character's awkward conversation with the children is often
Cathy Brockman
Stuck at an airport waiting for his best friend Will to arrive from New York, Garry has a lot of time to think when there is a major delay. With the help of two strange children ( and I mean strangers and odd)He comes to terms with his feelings.

Between a Rock and a Hard Place is a short sweet story. There are a few fun characters. ( Who doesn't like adorable kids?) The story is funny too. I adored little Emily and laughed out-loud at her mixed up words. My only caveat was that once Will arrived
Mari  Cardenas
Sep 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 4-stars, sweet, fun, cute
4 Stars!

This was such a sweet, delightful little story! It was lovely how Clare London managed to give us enough of Garry and Will's backstory to see how they got to that point and give us a glimpse into what might be their future. My only complaints? That I would've liked to see them together as a couple and not just reuniting like they did and that I would've loved to have Will's POV, too. However, I really liked to see Garry interacting with Emily and Max and then finding out who they really
Tori Thompson
2.5 heart review for Love Bytes Reviews.

A copy of this book was provided in exchange for an honest review. This review was originally posted at Love Bytes Reviews, please visit www.lovebytesreviews.com to see this and many more reviews, interviews, and giveaways!

This is the story or Garry, as he sits in an airport waiting for his best friend, Will. Garry and Will work together in London, and have been best friends, but nothing more has come of it, although Garry would like it to be more. The two
Morgan  Skye
Sep 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed, 2017, series
This is great as a standalone and a super cute book!

Garry and Will have been friends for years, but it’s only now that they are re-examining their relationship.

Most of the book is done is flashbacks, but it’s done well. Garry meets some adorable kids who help him to examine his feelings and it’s both touching and sweet.

Highly recommended as either part of the series or on it’s own.

4.5 of 5 stars
Donna
May 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 0-lgbtq-read
Kids! Kids always make a story better... and these two little devils were just the berries! Garry didn't have a clue what he was in for when The Delay came and he decided to wait for Will like Will had asked him to! Max and Emily made this story the delightful read that it was! I really enjoyed Ms. London's writing style and look forward to reading more of her work in the near future!
Elle
Jun 26, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm "homey special" ;)

I loved this story. Short and sweet. Makes for a bit of light reading.
A true feel good read without the heavy emotional baggage and turmoil.

However, I'm curious as to whether or not there is a novel that this was perhaps adapted from? Like maybe the uncles had their own novel where we first originally meet the children, even for a brief time, and our two MC's Will and Garry. If there hasn't been a base novel I think there should be. I mean, now that I've seen Will and
Emily G
Dec 23, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I think anyone who has spent an enforced period of time in an airport will sympathise with Garry's plight. He is stuck waiting for his friend, Will, who is on a delayed flight from the States, mulling over the state of their friendship after a drunken kiss. All the while being distracted by two kids who befriend him.

A fantastic short story in which Emily and Max steal the show, quite frankly ;-)!
Lily
I really enjoyed this story. It's a quick, easy read about a guy stuck in an airport slowly coming to realize that what he feels for his friend of many years is more than mere friendship. The two people that help along this journey of self discovery cracked me up several times. Loads of fun and sweet too!

• The Remaking of Corbin Wale
  • Tender Mercies (Men of Lancaster County, #2)
  • On Davis Row
  • Rebel (415 Ink, #1)
  • Scorpio Hates Virgo (Signs of Love, #2)
  • How to Save a Life (Howl at the Moon, #4)
  • Best of Both Worlds
  • The Holly Groweth Green
  • Hexslayer (Hexworld, #3)
  • Don't Plan to Stay
Clare took the pen name London from the city where she lives, loves, and writes. A lone, brave female in a frenetic, testosterone-fuelled family home, she juggles her writing with her other day job as an accountant. She’s written in many genres and across many settings, with award-winning novels and short stories published both online and in print. She says she likes variety in her writing while ...more

London Lads (5 books)
  • Chase the Ace (London Lads, #1)
  • How the Other Half Lives (London Lads, #2)
  • A Good Neighbour (London Lads, #3)
  • Peepshow (London Lads, #4)
“Mum calls you happy.” Emily giggled.
“Huh? I don’t know your Mom…” “She says men like you are happy!”
Garry stared at her, uncomprehending. He’d rarely felt less happy in his life.
“She means gay,” Max said, and now there was a grin on his face.”
1 likes
“She wriggled against him, obviously pleased. “So are you homey special?”
He frowned. He didn’t want to keep questioning her, but this one had him foxed. No combination of vowels or spoonerism made this one clear. Max barely moved his head but he answered as usual for her.
“She means ho-mo-sex-u-al.”