Start by marking “Pieces of Her” as Want to Read:
Pieces of Her

Pieces of Her

3.82  ·  Rating details ·  11,387 Ratings  ·  1,662 Reviews
What if the person you thought you knew best turns out to be someone you never knew at all . . . ?

Andrea knows everything about her mother, Laura. She knows she’s spent her whole life in the small beachside town of Belle Isle; she knows she’s never wanted anything more than to live a quiet life as a pillar of the community; she knows she’s never kept a secret in her life.
Published August 21st 2018 by William Morrow

To ask other readers questions about Pieces of Her, please sign up.
Karin Slaughter Hello! It is $13.99 on kindle. Hope this helps!
Karin Slaughter Hi Yvonne, it is available in the US today!!

Melissa
“She had always believed—vehemently, with great conviction—that the only way to change the world was to destroy it.”

If you didn’t know before, you certainly will now—I’m a Karin Slaughter junkie with a capital J and a #slaughtersquad chick-a-dee (with the cat ears to prove it *wink*). It was over a decade ago that I picked up my first Grant County novel and found myself instantly enamored with Slaughter’s brand of dark. My love for the blood and guts splattering her crime-lines, enmeshed with
Deanna
Aug 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018, arcs
My reviews can also be seen at: https://deesradreadsandreviews.wordpr...

4.5 Stars!!

Can you ever truly escape your past?

Andrea Cooper and her mother, Laura are having lunch and celebrating Andrea's thirty-first birthday at the Rise n’Dine restaurant at the mall of Belle Isle.

Just as they are about to finish up their lunch...

Suddenly it feels like the world explodes.

People are screaming and crying, trying to take cover. Andrea’s mother tackles her to the ground. What happens next shocks Andrea
Emily May
Sep 14, 2018 rated it it was ok
Karin Slaughter has been a relatively recent discovery for me. I really enjoyed her dark gritty The Good Daughter, especially the way she slowly paints in the relationship and backstory between the two female protagonists. It was a nasty, powerful read.

Pieces of Her is another slow-paced book about two women - this time a mother and her daughter - but I found the slowness here extremely dull. And the plot seemed a little ludicrous, honestly (though also tamer than expected). Rather than a gritty
Debra
Apr 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: edelweiss
3.5 Stars

How well do you know someone?

Andrea Cooper thought she knew her Mother, Laura. Her mother is a speech therapist who is a pillar of the community. She is liked and known by most people in their town. But one day at lunch, their whole lives are turned upside down. In the face of danger, Laura jumps into action and Andrea (and the rest of the world) gets to see another side of her Mother. Just who is this woman? Certainly not the woman that Andrea has known her entire life!

From that momen
Paromjit
Jul 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Karin Slaughter gives us a thriller that explores the role of the mother and the mother-daughter relationship. Andrea 'Andy' Cooper is an unambitious woman who has largely gone through the motions of living. She never completed college and she has barely been engaged in any personal relationships. Unhappy in New York, she returned home to nurse her mother, Laura, through the worst of her breast cancer treatment. She has no impetus to create an independent life for herself, and is secure in the k ...more
Crumb
Oct 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Explosive, Hair-raising, and Fast-Paced!

Karin Slaughter is a master at suspense.

Be prepared to get goosebumps..

I was first introduced to Karin Slaughter when I read her grizzly, suspense novel, The Good Daughter. I was floored. Instantly, I became a die-hard Slaughter fan. You can find my review of The Good Daughter here .
This is my second read by her, and this one was even better. It was more shocking. It was more thrilling. It was just more of everything in a terrifyingly good way.

Andrea is a
Larry H
Sep 10, 2018 rated it liked it
It seemed like any other day. Andy was having lunch at the mall with her mother, Laura, celebrating Andy's 31st birthday. They were briefly interrupted when the relative of a former patient of Laura's stopped by with her daughter to thank Laura for all of her help. Then, without warning, gunfire erupted, and the woman and her daughter were shot to death.

As the gunman approached Andy, screaming at her to "do her job," Laura leapt into action. Andy watched her mother move to protect her, disarm th
Sandy *The world could end while I was reading and I would never notice*
EXCERPT: Andy squeezed her eyes shut. Immediately, the images started scrolling like one of Gordon's vacation slide shows.

Laura holding up her hand.

The long blade slicing into her palm.

Wrenching the knife away.

Backhanding the blade into the man's neck.

Blood.

So much blood.

ABOUT THIS BOOK: What if the person you thought you knew best turns out to be someone you never knew at all?

Andrea Cooper knows everything about her mother Laura. She knows she's spent her whole life in the small town of
Emma
Jul 21, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
This was not at all what I expected. Instead of the usual clever, multilayered plot with deftly drawn characters, there's this overdone, disconnected, extremely unlikely tale that's more like an airport thriller than her usual works. The main character is tiresome in the extreme and while her mother is much more interesting, there wasn't enough to either to elicit any real emotion. And the thing with Mike? What the hell was that even about?

It's not just that the author has broken out of her moul
Sandy

When we first meet Laura Oliver & her daughter Andrea, they seem to have a close, dependent relationship. But make no mistake. These are 2 very different women. Laura is an elegant, self assured speech therapist in a small community outside Savannah. Andy is mousy & introverted, working night shift as a police dispatcher. She comes across as paralyzed, incapable of making any decision that would help her climb out of her rut & get a life.

It’s Andy’s 31st birthday & they
Katie B
I might have had too high of expectations going into this one because I loved the author's previous book, The Good Daughter. There's nothing significantly wrong with this novel, but I also can't help but feel like there's nothing new or different that make the story stand out.

Andrea Cooper is basically drifting through life. All hell breaks loose when Andrea is at the mall with her mother, Laura, and a gunman starts shooting. In these moments of chaos, she discovers a different side to her moth
Brenda
Oct 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love Karin Slaughter's books and usually devour them quickly. This one took me a week to read. A week. It just didn’t draw me in and hold me there. I’m also struggling to write this review.

The introduction to Andrea “Andy” Oliver and her parents, Laura and Gordon, provided history and insight into their current relationships. Andy was a puzzle for me. She’s 31, lives above her mother's garage, and works nights in a 911 dispatch center. She doesn’t answer when spoken to, is indecisive, alone, s
Pauline
Jul 20, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Pieces Of Her by Karin Slaughter was a thriller narrated in two different time lines by a mother and daughter. A violent encounter with a killer in a restaurant has a devastating effect on their relationship and Laura tells her daughter Andrea that she must leave town. The story then goes back in time 32 years to a woman Called Jane who is working with a group of terrorists.
Although I enjoyed parts of this book, I found it disjointed and I didn't enjoy it as much this authors previous books.
I w
Mackey
Different is good, and Pieces of Her IS good!

I am a Karin Slaughter fan. I thought a few of her previous books were graphically violent just for the sheer shock value, but Slaughter remains a masterful story-teller. I also like her stand-alone books better than her series. While I adore Amanda and Will, too much more of Sarah's perfection would make me ill. Every book has a reader for them and those who adore Slaughter's series most likely will find this book too different for their tastes. I,
NZLisaM
Jul 31, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime, mystery, suspense
Predictable and Long!

I’ve been a long time fan of Karin Slaughter, although it’s been a few years since I’ve read one of her books. Having never read a standalone novel of hers, I was excited to delve into ‘Pieces of Her’.

Mother-daughter, Laura and Andrea, are enjoying a quiet lunch, when a teenage gunman enters the mall diner, and starts firing. Small-town mum, Laura, not only manages to disarm the killer, but also stabs him in the neck with his own knife. This action, starts a chain-of-events
Kristy
Aug 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Andrea "Andy" Cooper thinks she knows everything about her mom, Laura. Laura has taken care of Andy for Andy's entire 31 years--perhaps to Andy's detriment, at times. Laura works as a speech pathologist and lives a peaceful life in the beach town of Belle Isle. But on the morning of Andy's birthday, as Laura takes her to breakfast, everything changes. Violence erupts at the mall, Laura instinctively acts to protect her daughter, and suddenly the secrets she's been hiding are exposed for all to s ...more
Helene Jeppesen
Aug 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Fast-paced. Intense. Confusing, yet stimulating. This book was all of that, and based on the one other book I've read of Karin Slaughter's, those are some of her trademarks.
"Pieces of Her" is the newest thriller from Karin Slaughter, and having recently become addicted to her thrilling story-telling, I immediately snapped up this one when I saw it in the bookstore.
The title might sound a bit gory and refrain some people from reading it, but rest assured that "Pieces of Her" isn't as bloody and
Nazanin
Aug 21, 2018 marked it as lost-interested
DNF @ 20%
I tried the audio but the voice of the characters was a bit too similar to each other so I switched to the book and it was reaaaaaally slow! I got bored and couldn't go further!
Amy
Jul 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
4.5/5

Most of you already know that I’m a huge fan of Karin Slaughter, I’ve read all of her books and think she’s the queen of crime, one of the best writers around, so every year I’m always very excited to read her latest book. While I wasn’t disappointed with this one it is vastly different from her other books and not at all what I was expecting, so heads up to the #SlaughterSquad!

While there were several of the components in this book that I’ve come to expect from Slaughter the plot itself di
Thirty-one year old Andrea “Andy” Cooper and her mother Laura Oliver are at the mall celebrating Andy's birthday. Fatal violence ensues and Andy and Laura get caught up in it. While Andy processes the event as a victim likely would, her mother acts with authority and experience and it's all captured on film. Now, the investigation focuses on Laura, and the dominoes begin to fall as Laura's life hangs in the balance, literally. Another crisis prompts Andy to run at Laura's instruction. Escape has ...more
Liz Barnsley
Jul 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Another standalone from Karin Slaughter and possibly one of my favourite books of hers so far.

A cross between a fast paced page turner and insightful psychological thriller, this was one I read fast, so caught up was I in Andy's story as she tries to put together the pieces of her Mother and discover the truth about her background.

We have past and present colliding as Laura saves the day but in doing so exposes herself to some dangerous people. Daughter Andy gets caught up in the aftermath, sen
Sara (sarawithoutanH)
I'm very conflicted about what I should rate this book. I very much enjoyed Karin Slaughter's writing style but I absolutely ABHORRED the main character, Andrea. She made me want to tear my hair out. She floundered around for most of the book and made the WORST decisions. She had zero common sense. UGH. I hate her so much. The mystery itself was much different than what I expected after having read Pretty Girls. This was more political (I'm not sure if that's the right word to use) than psycholo ...more
Brenda
Thirty-one-year-old Andrea (Andy) Cooper had rushed home to Gullaway Island from New York when her mother had rung to tell her she had breast cancer. To be by her side, caring for her through chemotherapy and the hair loss, the nausea and all that went with it was all Andy wanted to do. Now Laura was in remission, Andy knew it was time to plan for her future; to move on. But the day she and her mother were in the mall café chatting over coffee and a young man bent on murder walked through the do ...more
Gary
Sep 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
'Pieces of her ' is a stand alone novel from author Karin Slaughter.

Andrea Cooper thinks she knows everything about her mother Laura, but everything is about to change. When Andrea and Laura get involved in a violent encounter, Laura shows a different side to her personality. Laura is shot by someone who has spent the last thirty years trying to track her down. The gunman is stopped in his tracks by Laura who displays a coolness while overcoming the killer, while everyone else is left paralysed
bran (brandonthebookaddict)
This was a really fascinating read and honestly, I don't think I've ever read something like this before. But, I do think that out of the other two standalone books I've read from Karin, Pretty Girls and The Good Daughter, this was least violent, gory, and chaotic book out of them all. But I still enjoyed it nonetheless.

Full review to come!
Twitter | Bookstagram | Youtube |
Tammy
Oct 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: release-2018
5 ☆ Slaughter hit a home run with Pieces of Her.. I just love when a book keeps me on my toes guessing! The past collides with the present when breast cancer survivor Laura “saves the day” at a local mall cafe while eating with daughter Andy. An overnight media sensation due to a home video taken of the killings in progress shows Laura taking out the shooter. Not good. Someone’s now trying to snuff out Laura leaving Andy scared and on the run. Riveting and entertaining!
Mandy White
Jul 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: net-galley
Karin Slaughter has done it again, what an amazing book! I have read and enjoyed many of her books and this stand alone one is fantastic. If you have not read any of Slaughters books before then you really need to rectify that.. get Pieces of Her!!

Andrea and her mother Laura live in a small, quiet town. One day they are caught up in a violent attack in a cafe in a local shopping mall. When the gunman starts firing Laura starts to behave ini a way that is the complete opposite to the mother than
Judy Collins
From the internationally bestselling author of crime fiction, Karin Slaughter returns following (2017) The Good Daughter landing on my Top Books of 2017 with her latest —PIECES OF HER, an emotional heart-pounding action thriller featuring dynamic mother/daughter duo.

What if everything you thought you knew about your quiet, middle-aged mother was wrong?

First, let me begin by saying: "My nerves are fried after reading PIECES OF HER—this is one INTENSE novel! Can you really truly escape your pa
Chloe
Aug 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley

Andrea and her mother Laura are enjoying a quiet lunch at the mall when a lone gunman opens fire killing two innocent people.Laura a cancer survivor and a speech therapist trying to save Andrea manages to disarm and kill the gunman . This incident sparks a chain of events that embarks Andrea on a difficult journey to discover who her mom really is.

Pieces of her is a stand alone fast paced character driven thriller by Karin slaughter . Although not as as dark as her other books it is an enterta
KC
Her mother appeared to have been trained to kill, perhaps a spy or former military, but before that horrifying and dreadful day in the diner, Andrea Cooper believed she had a quintessential upbringing. From that moment on, what she knew of life, of herself, and of her mother, it had all been a fabrication, a deception. The reader is led on a roller coaster ride of suspense, deceit, and intrigue. With the recognized style of the Jason Bourne saga, Slaughter has crafted an exceptional thriller.
Karin Slaughter is one of the world’s most popular and acclaimed storytellers. Published in 120 countries with more than 35 million copies sold across the globe, her eighteen novels include the Grant County and Will Trent books, as well as the Edgar-nominated Cop Town and the instant New York Times bestselling novels Pretty Girls and The Good Daughter. Slaughter is the founder of the Save the Libr ...more
“When somebody dies, you forget they're an asshole.” 6 likes
“Love doesn't keep you in a constant state of turmoil. It gives you peace.” 5 likes