Start by marking “The Truth Lies Here” as Want to Read:
The Truth Lies Here

The Truth Lies Here

In small town Michigan, Penny, an aspiring journalist, teams up with the nerdy boy-next-door and the town’s star quarterback to find her conspiracy theorist father after he goes missing and several other townspeople turn up dead in the woods.

The deeper she digs, the weirder things start to get. Townspeople repeat the same phrases—verbatim. Men in black suits stroll around
Published August 21st 2018 by HarperTeen

Start your review of The Truth Lies Here
Stacee
When I saw the tag line of “Stranger Things meets Men in Black” I was 100000% here for it. Sadly, it was fairly disappointing for me.

I liked Penny well enough. Her struggle to fit back into a small town life felt realistic and I really enjoyed her tenacity. Dex was sort of adorable and I would have liked something a bit more tangible between them. There are a few other characters, but no one really stood out.

Plot wise it lagged a bit. I was all in on this concept, but at the halfway point, I c
Kyra Leseberg (Roots & Reads)
Jul 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc
Penny is back in her hometown of Bone Lake, Michigan for the summer prepared to write her college essay on the decline of the town after the military pulled their major contract causing the local factory to close several years ago.
Her dad doesn't show to pick her up at the airport, which doesn't surprise Penny who is used to be letting down by him.  Dexter, the literal boy next door, picks her up and delivers her to her door, worried that her dad has seemingly disappeared.

Penny brushes it off
Marta Barrales
May 05, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: dnf, disappointing
I must admit that this just hasn’t been the best reading year for me so far. Many of my recent reads have turned out to be disappointing to put it kindly. Sadly, The Truth Lies Here was not the exception.

The story follows Penny, she needs a big story to include in her college application. So, she heads back to her hometown to interview people about a tragic event that happened many years ago. Around the time of her arrival, a series of mysterious murders start to happen. And the circumstances on
Robin Bonne
Did anyone else grow up listening to Art Bell and his conspiracy theories about monsters and aliens late at night on the radio? If you did, this book might interest you.

Penny’s dad, a conspiracy and cryptid journalist, stumbles onto a dangerous secret and disappears. Penny is coming back to her hometown to visit him, and when she gets there he is nowhere to be found. Instead, she finds burned bodies in the woods, old friends, and the mystery of what happened to her father.

While the side charac
 Amelia
Feb 14, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi, mystery, 2018
I feel like I just watched a mediocre teen sci-fi/mystery movie that I'm gonna forget in a week. The premise sounds cool, but the book itself is nothing special.

The plot wasn't that slow, but we still don't get much info until the end. It's mostly just Penny telling everyone how her dad is horrible, them saying that's not true, and then her getting in a love triangle of sorts. It's not that the romance took over or anything, but it was still annoying and for the life of me I couldn't see why she
Jen Ryland
I excited by the premise of The Truth Lies Here: a girl who wants to get into journalism school and has a father who is a conspiracy theorist. Penny Hardjoy (lol - does she sound like a Bond Girl or what?) leaves Chicago to spend the summer with her father in the small midwestern town where she lived until her parents spilt up. She plans to do research on the ways a plant closing impacted the residents' lives and instead gets embroiled in an X-Files style whodunit. Her father is missing, as are ...more
Kitkat
Oct 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
I really liked this creepy book. This book was the perfect Halloween book. The author made it subtle which many thriller books have trouble with. Also that there was more development in characters through the book. Horror books usually focus on the plot than the characters which made me like this book a lot.

SPOILER SECTION

Okay this book was crazy. This was filled with twist and turns which I should've seen coming. How the FBI got involved but really was the company. The story is about Penny find
Samantha (WLABB)
Feb 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Rating: 4.5 Stars

A throughly compelling coming-of-age story laced with mystery and a touch of Sci-fi.
Confession: I read this one by accident, so it will be quite a while before I post my full review. Until then, know that I only have good things to say about this book.

Full review to follow.

*ARC provided in exchange for an honest review.

BLOG | INSTAGRAM |TWITTER | BLOGLOVIN | FRIEND ME ON GOODREADS
Heather Wood
Apr 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I really dug this book. A little bit strange, but a lot of fun, I kept reading up until the wee hours to see how everything was going to be resolved. The sci-fi angle was written in a way that made the book feel grounded. I loved the main character and enjoyed the mystery as well as her complex romantic and familial relationships. 5 Star Read for sure.
Mandy
9/14/18 Review:
Oh, look, a highly anticipated read that didn't fail me. Call me impressed.

As you can see, my pre-read review was allllllllllllllllll the fangirl feels since the premise was literally alllllllllllll of my buzzwords? I was like, all this book needs is some Bigfoot and it would be good, and how does this book start???? MC AND DAD ON A BIGFOOT HUNT. Omg, I was having a moment, y'all. Me was in the corner, heavy breathing because I just can't.

Overall, though, besides hitting all of
Jen
Aug 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018, arcs
ARC provided by the publisher vis Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review.

4/5 stars for The Truth Lies Here! I had so much fun reading this book! I'm not going to lie, I requested this book 100% based on the fact that it's set in Michigan. That being said, I could not remember anything about the synopsis. This book is kind of like Stranger Things meets Men in Black meets the X-files - which is awesome. HOWEVER, aliens aren't REALLY my thing. Luckily, there was so much to love about this book
Cassandra
Aug 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arcs, reads-of-2018
*Thank you to Edelweiss and the publisher for the ARC in exchange for an honest review!*

”To believe blindly is to get burned, and I was smarter than that now. I knew better.”

Along with openly being a love letter to her childhood growing up in Michigan, this book was also a love letter to small town sleuthing, murder mysteries, and of course, good old science fiction flicks about aliens. While very little of this book was not following some well worn troupes, I enjoyed every page.

Penny serves as
ThatBookGal
Jan 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was like reading a classic 80's Sci-Fi movie, with a tinge of Stranger Things thrown in, I loved it. The small town vibes, mixed in with an intriguing mystery, with just the right amount of terror thrown in. For once, a cover buy has paid off, because the content lived up to the aesthetic!!

Klingele's writing style is pretty simple and straightforward, and there's certainly no groundbreaking literature going on here, but it had me hooked from the word go. The suspense builds up nicely, with
Roxanne
Jan 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: physical-library
Maybe a 3.5, story was engaging but a bit of a let down in the ending.
Thamy
Aug 05, 2018 rated it liked it
Penny is supposed to spend summer vacations with her distant supernatural journalist father. When she reaches the small town she grew up before the nasty divorce, he is nowhere. She's sure she's been ignored or forgotten because of some unbelievable story but things in town seem too out of place.

I hadn't noticed before but this book has a lot to do with X Files, which should have been obvious even from the title. Like Scully, Penny is a non-believer who needs to pair up with one too-gullible-to-
Miriam
Nov 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book! It has such a Stranger Things vibe. So fun!
Zemira (Kylo Ren fangirl) Warner
Stranger Things, The X-Files and Men in Black make a compelling mix in The Truth Lies Here.
Kathy Martin
Jul 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Penny Hardjoy is spending the summer with her father in Bone Lake, Michigan, while her mother is on sabbatical in Spain. Until she was ten years old, her father was her hero. She went with him on hunts for Bigfoot and loved all of his stories about supernatural creatures. But seeing him take a picture of a bear and call it Bigfoot and walking in on him kissing her best friend's mother tarnished his role as her hero. When her mother divorced him, she was glad to go with her Mom to Chicago. Her di ...more
Mel (Daily Prophecy)
Penny's parents are divorced after she discovered something that destroyed her friendship with her best friend. She gets to spend her vacation time with her father in the small town she grew up, but when she arrives she finds out her father isn't home. At first she believes he is hunting down another story. He is a journalist who spends all his time searching for mysterious and otherworldly stories; like his claim about the 'Others' who came to earth with the meteor that crashed in the woods. Bu ...more
Amy
Jan 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It was creepy with a hint of romance and I LOVED IT!
Best bit was the MASSIVE plot twist which I don’t think anyone could see coming! Honestly amazing. Definitely has a spot as one of my favourite reads ever!
Kal ★ Reader Voracious
Aug 19, 2018 marked it as to-read
I just read the first two chapters via the Epic Reads Sneak Peak and HOLY CRAP. Does pre-ordering a book two days before release count as not breaking a book ban? Asking for a friend. ...more
Vanessa
Nov 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
First of all. I felt like parts of this were a love letter to Michigan. Which I'm here for; I'm most prone to homesickness during this time of year (Fall/Winter), and simple things like lakes, Superman ice cream, M66, and such warm my soul.

Second and rest of all, this isn't my normal read. I like these types of stories, but normally I prefer to watch them, then read them. But this thing sucked me in, and I could hardly put it down. I honestly don't remember the last time I sat a read 100's of p
Kimmy
Aug 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
(Received from the publisher in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.)

I saw this book described as Stranger Things meets Men In Black, which guaranteed that I would read it!

I hope to like every book I read, but I was pleasantly surprised by just how much I enjoyed this book! The story was very intriguing (strange things happening in a small town with a sci-fi twist), and I really liked the characters.

It was a really engaging story
Anna
Oct 09, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
This was so disappointing. I was really in the mood for a mystery in genericville, America. The town of Bone Lake should have felt like its own character, and yet the descriptions of it were bareboned. How hard is it to put in descriptions? Tell me what it looks like from the shades and shapes of houses. Tell me what it smells like. Tell me anything that I can visualise. But not, that’s just too difficult.
The characters are about as flat as they can be. They have little personality outside of o
Courtney
Mar 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: march-2018-haul
Y'all. this book was SO good. I didn't get this ARC from a publisher or anything, I actually got it for free from a little indie bookstore in Kitty Hawk, North Carolina while on Vacation because when you buy from them, you can choose to pick out an ARC. This one seemed the most promising so I gave it a try and I am so glad that I did.
This was a super quick read for me and I throughly enjoyed every second of it, I got Stranger Things vibes as well as some X-files vibes thrown in there as well.
Court
Oct 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a strange, fun read. As a cryptid, I want to believe-er, when this book popped up on my shelves, I had to read it. And while the search for the Visitors is a big part of the book, the other story lines of family, and suspicions and truth and lies makes for a very compelling read.
amara✨
Nov 23, 2018 rated it liked it

This book was really good and had some good twists and turns!
Teenage Reads
Jun 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: advance-copy, 2018
Plot:
Penelope, who prefers the nickname Penny, lost faith in her father, Ike Hardjoy, at ten years old. When she used to believe all the fairy tales he told her, about werewolves, Nessie, fairies, all wandering around the woods waiting to be discovered. When hunting for Bigfoot, and found a black bear instead, her father used the blur out photos of the bear, claiming it to be Bigfoot. Losing the faith his daughter had in him during the process. Yet, that writing mindset never left Penny, and as
Teenreadsdotcom
Oct 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
When Penny thinks of her hometown, she thinks of the local ice cream shop, her childhood crushes and her father, a reporter who specializes in the paranormal. When she was little, she believed in her father and his outlandish claims, but since her parents' divorce and her subsequent move to Chicago, she sees the truth in his “supernatural” findings.

But when she goes back to Bone Lake, Michigan for the summer, her father has mysteriously disappeared without a trace, leaving no note and her strand
Elisha Jachetti
Aug 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
THE TRUTH LIES HERE by Lindsey Klingele is a young adult, sci-fi novel set in Bone Lake, Michigan. This little town is the last place Penny wants to spend her entire summer, but her mom’s on a sabbatical in Spain and Penny needs quotes from Bone Lake residents for her college admissions essay. Determined to get into Northwestern, Penny lands at the airport on a mission, but finds herself stranded when Ike, her father, never arrives to pick her up. Days pass without any word from him, and Penny s ...more
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Sawkill Girls
  • When the Sky Fell on Splendor
  • Deadfall
  • Dare You to Lie
  • Deadly Little Scandals (Debutantes, #2)
  • The Dark Beneath the Ice
  • Notes from My Captivity
  • Little White Lies (Debutantes, #1)
  • Invisible Ghosts
  • You Won't Know I'm Gone (The Black Angel Chronicles #2)
  • Broken Things
  • All Your Twisted Secrets
  • Keep This to Yourself
Lindsey Klingele grew up in Western Michigan, where she read every book she could get her hands on. She eventually moved to Los Angeles (the real land of make believe) and worked as a writers' assistant for TV shows such as THE LYING GAME and TWISTED. She still loves living in LA, especially since it's home to great television shows, truly excellent cheeseburgers, and her pitbull, Bighead.