Start by marking “The Beautiful No: And Other Tales of Trial, Transcendence, and Transformation” as Want to Read:
The Beautiful No: And Other Tales of Trial, Transcendence, and Transformation

The Beautiful No: And Other Tales of Trial, Transcendence, and Transformation

“Thursday morning. One hundred pounds overweight, no man in sight, and rounding the bend to 57 years old—a full-blown catastrophe.”

What happens when you realize you’ve had the career of your dreams, but you don’t have the life of your dreams? This was the stark reality facing Sheri Salata when she left her twenty-year stint at The Oprah Winfrey Show, Harpo Studios and the
Published June 4th 2019 by Harper Wave

To ask other readers questions about The Beautiful No, please sign up.
Ela There's definitely the story of her rise and success at Harpo Studios, but it's not the focus. It's one part of her whole journey on living the life…moreThere's definitely the story of her rise and success at Harpo Studios, but it's not the focus. It's one part of her whole journey on living the life of her dreams. And I think the book shares advice on life but not like a prescription or in a preachy way, more about her own trial and error.(less)

Rachel
Jun 30, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Meh. I really wanted to love this book but it was not great. To be honest, it was hard to get behind someone who wants to transform her life and has every possible advantage and privilege to do so.
Ali Amagasu
Jun 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I would probably cut off four or five fingers to have had Sheri Salata’s career. I think we all look at someone like her and say “Wow—she nailed it.” But it turns out she doesn’t necessarily see it that way. It turns out even someone like Sheri has all kinds of unrealized dreams and places where her life has felt unbalanced. This book is about her journey to a more well-rounded type of success: one that includes taking care of her health, finding true love, nurturing her spiritual side, becoming ...more
Donna Jean Gray
Jun 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sheri Salata has been a true inspiration to me enter since her Oprah show days. But when I stumbled upon her podcast about reinventing oneself in midlife, I felt like I'd found a sister in spirit. This book, The Beautiful No, does not disappoint. It's full of inspirational bits of wisdom woven into stories of her loving family, amazing friendships and enviable career. You will find yourself saying YES! as Sheri brings us along on her mighty dreamquest reminding us that midlife isn't the beginnin ...more
Ela
Jun 04, 2019 added it
Loved this book! It came to me at a great time--just when I needed it. This is great for anyone trying to rewrite the second half of their life--or any time in their life really. Sheri Salata shares her journey to creating the life of her dreams in an honest, vulnerable, and genuine way. She shares her trials and errors and successes. Love her writing style--it's friendly, funny, and relatable.
Kathleen
Recently, I attended a presentation about this book, and another woman said to me upon leaving, "That wasn't for me." I agree. Although I applaud anyone making positive life choices, doing whatever one needs to do to get healthy, Salata's transformation in her mid fifties was paved by her wealth and connections. While she had many of the same challenges facing women across time, I could not let go (because she referenced it so often) of her big life with Oprah, famous people whom she met, etc. I ...more
JSter
Jul 05, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well-written/spoken/organized. Shit got real in there a couple of times and my heart got squished, but for the most part the book felt superficial. She gave a bullet-point version of all the things she wanted to change during her week of reckoning (wow, she got that covered in just a week?!). But I wanted to hear more. Why was/is she overweight? What was really eating her? What really went down in her relationships? What was going on with all that wine? Was that an issue for her? She made one ti ...more
Lori Helke
Jun 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm a huge fan (Dreamtriber) of The Sheri And Nancy Show podcast and was so anxious to read co host Sheri Salata's first book.

I just knew that if she approached writing this book with the same honesty and humor she does on the podcast, that I would throughly enjoy this book.

And yes, I loved The Beautiful No.

Just because you have one of the most coveted jobs in the world, surrounded by not only one of the most powerful women of our time, Oprah, but she had access to a revolving door of the worl
Laurie
Jul 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'll admit it. I was a big fan of the Oprah Winfrey Show, and during its final season I even watched the behind-the-scenes reality show -- which featured Sheri Salata in her role as executive producer. I remember her as being incredibly capable, creative, in control, and just so talented in her career.

This book drew me in because it shows the other side of her life. All that I just said is true and she was also incredibly stressed, with terrible health habits and feeling a lack of a soulmate rom
Angie Thompson
Jun 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"Listen, this may be a bold statement, but if we could collapse time and recognize the beauty in a no right when it arrives, no matter how disappointed we might feel, I think we would have mastered something fundamentally important about living happily ever after".
-Sheri Salata, THE BEAUTIFUL NO

This is the first book I've read cover to cover in one sitting in a very long time. It felt like a long, deep into the night phone call with my bestie.

The quote above is one of my favorites from the book
Mary Swan-Bell
Jun 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I listened to this book while sitting in the sun for the first time in weeks in Ohio. I started to appreciate my own little soggy backyard paradise more and more as I laughed, cried, and enjoyed every part of the journey Sheri invites her readers to take.

I have loved listening to the Sheri and Nancy show since the very first episode and this deep dive with Sheri feels special, revelatory and like a long chat with an old friend. Her gratitude and appreciation for life is so inspirational and shi
Adreina Adams
Jun 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Beautiful No And Other Tales of Trail, Transcendence and Transformation by Sherri Salata is a Beautiful book. It touched my soul and lifted my spirit. It is a thoughtful, authentic, inspiring, transformational vulnerable, powerful, inspirational and impactful book. Wow I really love, love, love this book. Sheri shared her story with passion, generosity and love. It helped me to examine my life to determine where I have said No to myself. Examine, reflect and be grateful for all of the Beauti ...more
Susie Bommersbach
This book is a must-read for women in the middle of life. Sheri's expert story telling, honesty and sense of humor make "The Beautiful No" a truly enjoyable experience. I found myself crying in one chapter and laughing out loud in the next. I have followed Sheri since the beginning of her podcast and after reading her book, I feel like we are old friends. She comes across as so genuine and authentic to the core. Read and share this book with your best girlfriends. They will thank you for it.
Diane
Jun 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Like other reviewers here, I just kept turning the pages, soaking it all in. Sheri's book is highly entertaining, deeply moving, and quite inspiring. And who isn't up for a little reinvention in life!

P.S. Sheri offers lots of resources in her podcast and on her site The Pillar Life -- including a free companion workbook to The Beautiful No. Highly recommend!
Grace Hill
Jul 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Inspiring and real.
Colleen Olinger
Jun 13, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 stars-Sheri Salata is a great writer, and I enjoyed her enthusiasm. She's one of those people that you wish was one of your good friends, because you can tell she's got a magnetic personality. I enjoyed reading about her journey.
Robin
Jun 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sheri Salata is a great storyteller. Her book reads like the podcast she co-hosts with her BFF, Nancy Hala: real, funny in spots while deep in others, and full of moments that make you think. I can relate to so much of what Sheri writes about, right down to the nearly identical menu it sounds like our families used to enjoy on Thanksgiving. Ladies, I can't recommend this book highly enough. Sheri's memoir-so-far is a treat with the added bonus of a free downloadable companion guide on the book s ...more
Cathy
Jun 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book came out at just the right time for me. I've been pondering some of the same questions as Sheri Salata and loved how she just told it like it is and is so down to earth about everything. The Beautiful No is definitely inspiring, especially for women who may be "midlife" and wondering how to navigate the next few decades. I read it quickly and feel like immediately rereading it to make sure I get all the nuggets Salata shares.
Crystal Zavala
Aug 06, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: tlcbooktours, audio
I listened to the audiobook of The Beautiful No as written and narrated by Sheri Salata herself. Sheri wrote the book after The Oprah Show wrapped. She had worked for The Oprah Show for over two decades. Sheri found herself in a middle of life transition. She wants to look inward at herself in regards to her love life, her weight, her spirituality, and her future career.

As a woman who is almost exactly 20 years younger than Sheri, I found that I couldn't relate to everything that she is going th
Teresa
Aug 10, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This looked like it was going to a good summer read of a feel-good life transformation. Instead I got a weakly-organized, flakey, and navel-gazing meander. I appreciated most learning what a 56 year old might care about at that stage in her life, but the good stuff could have taken up no more than a chapter. A clearly rich woman in both money and family, I think Salata is probably a neat human being, but she ended up sounding deeply selfish except when it came to her love for her family. Additio ...more
Laura Steward
Jul 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I bought this book on several friends recommendations. They said read this book and then interview her. This book is important. Well I read a lot of books but rarely do my friends tell me I have to read something. So of course I trusted them and bought the book read the book and then interviewed her! So glad they suggested it because this book is a treasure. It is filled with honest stories and nuggets of wisdom of a life well lived and a life undergoing change.

Sheri Salata opens her heart and h
Ana Devine
Jun 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I FREAKING LOVED THIS BOOK. I wasn't ready for how amazing Sheri Salata's book is. I'm a huge fan of her podcast, and I should've known her writing would be epic.

Her writing is beautiful, lovingly honest, and powerful, and it's so well matched with the beauty of her life's stories. This book (hopefully the first of many) brims with learnings, laughter, intentionality, and her own story of life evolution from external and internal forces.

This is going to be my go-to friend gift for the next bir
Erik G.
Jul 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this and I'm enjoying now the podcast! The author has a unique perspective given her role four decades working for Oprah Winfrey in such a high capacity. It's also fun for me that she is also from Illinois. I admire her tenacity and I enjoyed so much watching her on the program about working behind the scenes on the Oprah Winfrey Show. The author clearly has lived unusual life which is interesting and fascinating. This book will inspire many to create the momentum to reinvent th ...more
Catherine M
Jun 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was “introduced” to Sheri Salata through her podcast “This is 50” which has evolved into the “Nancy and Sheri show” and I immediately loved her message! This book takes our “relationship” to a new level and made me feel connected to her personally! Sheri’s journey out of her incredibly successful career to defining a new life created around her values “aka pillars” is inspiring. If you have struggled with your weight, experienced low self esteem or want to redefine your life on your terms - re ...more
Linda
Jul 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I started listening to the Sheri + Nancy Show podcast last year and I fell in love with them. They are hilarious, real women in their mid-life, figuring out how to make changes to their lives to make their lives better. I went to their retreat at 1440 Multiversity last August and was inspired by the amazing speakers and attendees. Of course I had to read her book, and I loved learning more about her. Aren’t we all just trying to live our best life?! I know I am....thank you Sheri for sharing you ...more
Dora
Jun 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you want to join the journey of a brave, open hearted, spiritually generous seeker who stops to reassess her life with grace, honesty and humor then I could not recommend this book more. Coming from an undoubtedly enviable career as producer for The Oprah Winfrey Show and co-president of OWN Network, Sheri Salata gets real, in a completely candid and deep way, and extends an open hand for us to do the same. Read this book!
Ursula
Jun 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I am a big fan of Sheri and Nancy's podcast so I was so excited to get a copy of this book. The book is written as if you are having a conversation with Sheri. She is able to weave the important stories of her life into the nuggets of wisdom she has gathered over the years. Her life experiences and the lessons she has taken from them are inspiring and grounding at the same time. A great book to kick off your summer reading.
Becky Daniels
Exactly what I needed to read

I heard about this book on a podcast that Sheri was interviewed on and had the feeling I should put it at the top of my list... And I am so glad I did. This book was moving, motivating and exciting. Despite the author's truly magnificent job, she remains relatable and fun and shared her lessons without any condescension. I will likely read this again and am certainly recommending to friends!
Dorothy
Jun 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Beautiful No by Sheri Salata is a jewel 💎.Its been a very long time since I’ve read a book that made me, smile, laugh out loud, and cry sad and happy tears. You will finish this book and feel that you are ready to create the life you’ve always wanted but thought you could not have . You will feel empowered and ready to stop existing and start being present in every single minute of your beautiful life. A must for every woman who has reached the middle of her life...
Kelly 💜☕️
4.5 stars, rounded up

I really enjoyed this inspirational memoir. It had great honesty and I love that the author is reinventing herself at the new midlife — in her 50s. Sheri shares so many of her failed attempts before she became a producer on Oprah’s talk show. So many topics discussed and I loved her approach that people should only do what works for them.

Thanks to San Diego County Library for the digital audio version via Libby app.

[Audio: 6 hours, 40 minutes]
Anbo Wang
Aug 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Honest and moving

I can feel the connection in so many chapters because this is so true. The challenges of our life are so true. And it is so good to not be alone. This books comes with great authenticity. It is kinda of spiritual in a way that you almost need to feel it. Some of the chapters I don't feel a strong connection. But biggest take away is you need to always ask yourself: what makes YOU happy?
« previous 1 3 next »
Sheri Salata is a writer/producer, co founder of thepillarlife.com and co host of the podcast The Sheri + Nancy Show. Her current ventures are the evolution of her 20-year career with Oprah Winfrey. Her action-packed days as Executive Producer of The Oprah Winfrey Show were chronicled in the acclaimed docuseries Season 25: Oprah Behind the Scenes.

Sheri also served as Co-President of Harpo Studios
“Though they sometimes balked at my relentless rehearsal schedules, they always loved the standing ovations that came after. Everyone does.” 0 likes