Start by marking “The Perfect Mother” as Want to Read:

3.54  ·  Rating details ·  35,453 ratings  ·  3,984 reviews

They call themselves the May Mothers—a collection of new moms who gave birth in the same month. Twice a week, with strollers in tow, they get together in Prospect Park, seeking refuge from the isolation of new motherhood; sharing the
Published May 1st 2018 by Harper

To ask other readers questions about The Perfect Mother, please sign up.
Sharon Yes! I was swept into the story and then found myself getting confused with the characters! 🙄
Angela Yes I did. I skipped through until the last couple chapters then skimmed it until I read the resolution and read the end. Way to many characters…moreYes I did. I skipped through until the last couple chapters then skimmed it until I read the resolution and read the end. Way to many characters points of view to keep up. Didn’t hold my attention very well from the beginning. (less)

·  35,453 ratings  ·  3,984 reviews

Emily May
Feb 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this quite a lot.

The Perfect Mother definitely has something of a Moriarty vibe (Liane, not Jim) but I personally found it better paced. I struggled with the slowness and tame domesticity of Moriarty's The Husband's Secret and Truly Madly Guilty, though I enjoyed the HBO adaptation of Big Little Lies. I would say that this book is more like the latter. It's predominantly about women and the relationships between them, with the thriller aspect of a missing baby providing the stage on w
Deanna
May 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018, arcs
My reviews can also be seen at: https://deesradreadsandreviews.wordpr...

As soon as I read the description for “The Perfect Mother” I immediately added it to my list of Most Anticipated Reads for 2018. The fact that it was already in production to be made into a major motion picture added to my intrigue. I couldn’t wait to read it.

The May Mothers are a group of mothers who gave birth in the same month. They joined the group online and eventually met in person. They met a couple of times a week a
Melissa
“Is this the definition of modern motherhood?”

The Perfect Mother epitomizes the reading experience I wish for every time I crack a new cover. Let’s be honest though, picking up any book is a crapshoot, even with authors you’ve come to rely on, there’s still no telling what you’re in for. For me, turning that first page is often accompanied by a heady mix of excitement, cut with a sliver of apprehension, for good measure. Worst case scenario, things veer off into disappointed territory and figh
Kristin (KC) - Traveling Sister
*3.6ish Stars*...because I’m annoyingly indecisive with ratings!
“Mothers and babies. You’re everywhere. I hope you appreciate everything you have.”
Meet The May Mothers: A newly-acquainted group of first-time moms who’ve all delivered their babies in the month of May.

They trade parenting tips, share undiluted birthing stories, vent about their constant lack of sleep...nothing glaringly out of the ordinary here.

Until one of their babies goes missing during a much-needed girl’s night out.

And
Dorie  - Traveling Sister :)
Finally a thriller that really delivers! Stayed up until 2:00 last night finishing this, I just had to know how it ended. It’s amazing that this is a debut novel and that it has already been picked up to be made into a movie, what a wonderful accomplishment for Ms. Molloy.

This novel is told from multiple points of view and I did have a little trouble at times keeping track of who was talking but that was probably just because I was reading too fast! The author also used a technique that worked v
(Bern) Mom to 2 Posh Lil Divas
Jun 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018, adult-reads
"This will be great. A few hours out. A slice of freedom...Nothing we'll regret. Just one drink."

This story had me reading through the night. It was full of twists & turns and secrets & lies. Trying to unravel it all was difficult because the story is told via various (unreliable) points of view. At times it was difficult to tell where 1 character's thoughts began and another's ended. Things jumped from person to person but honestly, I felt that it added to the overall frantic pacing
Kaceey
May 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Oh my! Now that was one twisty read!!

The May Mothers – A group of new moms form a casual friendship, getting together to share their experiences and support one another. After all, they’re new parents…with lots of questions.
When the ladies plan an evening out without their babies in tow, no one could imagine the consequences of that innocent rendezvous.

There is a definite rhythm to this book, though it took me nearly half-way in to find the pace. I struggled a bit keeping a few of the character
JanB
May 28, 2018 rated it liked it
This was a mixed bag for me for the following reasons:

- I'm not a fan of the confession monologue as a means to solve a crime
- I found it difficult to keep the characters straight and needed to jot notes down as I read.

- But I loved the focus on motherhood and how difficult it is to balance those first few months.
- I liked the focus on the part the media plays in sensationalizing crimes and their rush to judgement.
- loved the the "Nancy Grace" character who vilified the moms for having a drink
Crumb
Jun 07, 2018 rated it liked it
It’s every parent’s worst nightmare. One moment you have your baby, and in a blink of an eye, they’re gone, taken from you.

When I read the plot summary for this book, I was instantly hooked. Whenever a novel has some sort of abduction or kidnapping theme, I’m all in. I eagerly try to use my amateur sleuthing skills to figure out the “who-dunnit” before it’s revealed. However, I am also pleasantly surprised when I’m completely stumped, as was the case in The Perfect Mother. I tend to look a littl
Diane S ☔
May 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Books seem to be published according to trends. The one I've noticed lately are about groups of women, who have children or are expecting a child. I've read many of these in recent months with varying degrees of success. This is one of the better ones in that grouping. For one reason the writing style is suspenseful but not overly dramatic, soap opera style, and for another I found these women realistically portrayed the many aspects, trials if you will of being a new mother.

They begin meeting
Shannon
Jan 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I literally have no idea how I am going to write this review. I’ve had my eye on The Perfect Mother by Aimee Molloy for MONTHS. I saw this pretty little gem on edelweiss and was completely obsessed! I knew I had to read it. Then, to find out The Perfect Mother is going to be a movie with Kerry Washington? Um, SOLD. Though, I am seriously wondering how they will do this book justice.

So, when I was pregnant with my daughter, I signed up for babycenter.com. It is a website with facts about your gro
Holly  B
A clever page-turner!

A mother’s group goes out for a fun get together at the local bar. Then one mom gets a call from the babysitter.

I love the thought of a mommy group and meeting to support each other. This mommy group (May Mothers) is going through hell after one of the babies goes missing.
This book got me out of my reading slump. Perfectly paced with plenty of twists, it kept me engaged as the moms put on their detective hats (along with me).

I loved the camaraderie of the moms and could rela
Linda
May 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
"Wanna know something?" Nell leans in and lifts the bottom of her shirt. "These are maternity pants. The baby is two months old, and I'm still wearing maternity pants."

This, folks, is reality. The soon-after-birth reality that visits the "May Mothers" (with little hatchlings all born in the month of May). Brooklyn's Prospect Park is the site for all to meet with their caravans of strollers and baby carriers. A place to embrace a once far distant sanity welcomed into this new state of chaos. Momm
Carrie
Apr 17, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: edelweiss
The Perfect Mother by Aimee Molloy is a psychological thriller that easily will have readers on the edge of their seat as the story involves a missing infant. This one is told from multiple points of view including an unknown voice involved in the story.

Several women have formed a group that they are calling the May Mothers after the fact that they all met because they were all due to have their babies that May. After the births the ladies would get together to share stories of their children a
Liz
Apr 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars, rounded up
This is one of those books that works to confuse you. With constantly switching perspectives, it’s not an easy story to figure out. Think Big, Little Lies with all the swirling confusion. If you like that style, you’ll like this.

A group of new mothers opt for a night out and during that time, one of their babies goes missing. They don’t know each other well. These aren’t long time friends, they all met through a website for new parents in Brooklyn and bonded because their d
Tucker
Apr 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
In “The Perfect Mother” a group of expectant mothers gather frequently to discuss pregnancy and raising their newborns. These women were not previously acquainted, but soon find themselves forming strong bonds over their shared experiences. Strong bonds and a closeness that belie the somewhat superficial nature of their relationships. When one of their babies goes missing, they discover how little they really know about each other and Molloy excels at slowing revealing their secrets through clev ...more
j e w e l s
Apr 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
FOUR STARS

File this under NM for New Mommies. The new mommy character is in sweet abundance in Aimee Molloy's debut The Perfect Mother. She has assembled a group of women that all gave birth in May and met months earlier online to trade stories and offer support to each other. The online friends all live in Brooklyn and begin meeting IRL just a few weeks after the babies are born. This is where the plot really begins.

The mommies decide to go out for a well-deserved girls' night and it is on this
Sandy *The world could end while I was reading and I would never notice*
EXCERPT: Why? Why did she do that? Hadn't she learned her lesson? One impulsive decision can destroy an entire life. If anyone should know that, it's her.

ABOUT THIS BOOK: An addictive psychological thriller about a group of women whose lives become unexpectedly connected when one of their newborns goes missing.

Susanne  Strong
May 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
3.75 Stars.

In Brooklyn, a group of mothers to-be, all due in the month of May, coined “The May Mothers” start a meet-up, sharing stories and bonding over impending motherhood.

Being the perfect mother seems unattainable and yet these mothers strive for it. Receiving monthly emails about what to expect each month, exchanging messages with helpful suggestions, gaining support from each other whenever the need arises.

After their babies are a few months old, their bond deepens unexpectedly. Frannie,
Norma * Traveling Sister
3 Stars! I wish I would have loved this one a little more!

This book was chosen to read as a Traveling Sisters Group Read and what originally attracted me to this book was the title and the cover - which is pretty much how I choose all my books to read!

THE PERFECT MOTHER by AIMEE MOLLOY is a steady-paced, insightful, character-driven, and a twisty psychological domestic thriller that is filled with interesting characters that I really appreciated. The voices and dynamics of these women really r
ABookwormWithWine
⭐⭐⭐⭐💫 / 5 red herring filled stars!

I read The Perfect Mother by Aimee Molloy as a buddy read with Heather from @nature.books.and.coffee, Shannon from @givemeallthebooks, Emily from @book.happy, and Jamie from @beauty_andthebooks_ and I think it is safe to say that we all really enjoyed this thriller, and it was a complete binge read for almost all of us.

I didn’t really know what to think of this book as I was reading it, but then I got towards the end and WHAM, it changed the entire book for m
Tammy
Apr 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
The Perfect Mother: Try to do it all and chances are you will fail at something or feel like you’re failing even if you’re not. During the first and only night out at a local hot spot, the unthinkable happens when one of the “May Mothers’” infants goes missing. What follows is a well-plotted, fast-moving story focusing on how little these friends really know about each other. And, there is a lot that is unknown despite bonding over the significant stresses of new motherhood. This book will give ...more
Skyler Autumn
2 Stars

I wanted to like The Perfect Mother. NO! I wanted to love it. This book seemed so promising a story about a mommy group entitled the May Mother's for the very obvious fact that they all gave birth in May. Decide to go out a few short months after their babies are born to blow off steam, let their hair down, and have one (or quite a few) drinks. BUT (I know there is always a but) the outing takes a dark turn when one of the Mother's returns home to an empty cradle.

Brenda - Traveling Sister
3.5 Stars

Norma and I were lost in the sunny, grassy lush coulee with five of our Traveling Sisters reading The Perfect Mother and we really enjoyed our reading experience and discussion on this story.

The Perfect Mother is a fun, entertaining and engaging story with a bit of dark to it that had us feeling comfortable in our sunny, grassy coulee from any unsettling scenes from this story. We meet a group of Brooklyn new mothers all with their own secrets who meet regularly to support each other t
Crime by the Book
Jan 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
4.5/5 stars for this addictive, engaging read! Find my full review here: http://crimebythebook.com/blog/2018/1...

This is a fantastic "popcorn read" - aka the kind of suspense novel you just want to binge on! Fans of Liane Moriarty and B.A. Paris will love this pacey, engrossing story of secrets, group dynamics, and interpersonal tension. Couple this with a cast of compelling female leads, and you've got a winner! Highly recommended for addictive, unputdownable spring reading.
Katie B
Feb 02, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When I picked up this book I was hoping it would just be one of those fun, mindless vacation type reads. And for the most part it was, but I also was impressed the author explored society's expectations of mothers within the story. An entertaining read that also makes you think a bit after you are finished.

The May Mothers are a group of new moms, and one dad, who get together at a park a couple times a week for some much needed adult conversation. They never seem to discuss anything more than th
Elyse Walters
Sep 12, 2018 rated it liked it
Library Audiobook...read by Christin Milioti

Maybe the screen version will be more entertaining. I like Kerry Washington who will be in the cast.

I admit to liking the screen time to “Big Little Lies”
better than the book. The A- rated cast made it very entertaining.

I was enjoying this book
for awhile....but soon became bored ....
Although....
I enjoyed it enough to finish it -
Breaks were definitely needed though. Newborn-mommy struggles in small doses is plenty for me. After living through my own s
Gabby
This book was meh, unfortunately. I was really excited to read this one, because the premise sounded so amazing. A group of Mother's who all had babies within the same month - then one night when they all go out for drinks, Winnie's baby Midas goes missing! Suddenly the police are looking into the private lives of all the May Mother's and they all have something to hide.

This book started off promising enough, but I quickly grew bored with the story. I don't really know what it was, but this boo
PattyMacDotComma
3.5★
“I remember walking into the bar, spotting them, tired eyes rimmed in kohl liner, black circles tempered under too much concealer, lips shimmering with the lipstick they hadn’t worn in months.”

The May Mothers, all tarted up (with questionable appeal) for a night out on their own – babies left at home with partners, or in the case of the single mother, a sitter. What could possibly go wrong? The Goodreads blurb reveals the answer to that—the single mother’s baby is abducted.

The May Mothers ar
Helga
Sep 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: crime, mystery
A mommy-group night out leads to tragedy and heartbreak.

It is Fourth of July and some new mothers who usually gather around in a park once in a while with their new born babies and discuss diaper rashes, baby-pukes, etc., decide to take a break and have some deserved fun; that is, to leave their babies with their husbands or baby-sitters and have a couple of drinks in a posh bar and unwind.
But the fun doesn’t last long, as they soon realize that the baby of one of their friends have been abducte

• WISHBONE...Be Careful What You Wish For
  • Our Kind of Cruelty
  • Sunburn
  • Not That I Could Tell
  • For Better and Worse
  • Our Little Secret
  • The Silent Patient
  • The Other Woman
  • Beartown (Beartown, #1)
  • Beautiful Bad
  • Let Me Lie
  • The Lies We Told
  • Cross Her Heart
  • The Echo Killing (Harper McClain, #1)
  • Call Me Evie
  • The Last Time I Lied
  • The Neighbors
  • Where'd You Go, Bernadette
“That’s all I wanted to do. Really. Just talk to Joshua. Tell him that being with him is the only thing that’s ever mattered to me. Let him know about the letters I’ve been writing him, maybe offer to read one or two, so he’d know exactly how I feel, and how much I still want him. How sorry I am for anything I may have done wrong.” 2 likes
“bad things happen in heat like this” 2 likes