Start by marking “My Husband’s Lies” as Want to Read:
My Husband’s Lies

My Husband’s Lies

‘I was gripped immediately’ KATERINA DIAMOND, author of THE TEACHER

Do you really know your friends?

On the afternoon of Nick and Lisa’s wedding, their close friend is found poised on a hotel window ledge, ready to jump.

As the shock hits their friendship group, they soon realise that none of them are being as honest with themselves – or with each other – as they think.

And th
Published May 17th 2018 by One More Chapter

Start your review of My Husband’s Lies
Dash fan
May 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
4☆ Full of Secrets, Lies and Deceit!

My Husband's Lies is a book about secrets, betrayal, friendship, lies, relationships and affairs.

I had mixed feelings when I was reading My Husband's Lies.
Firstly the amount of characters that was introduced at the start was slightly overwhelming.
I have to admit it got me very confused and I had to keep skipping back to try to get my head round who was who.

There are several main characters.
The main ones are 'The A Team' ... best friends since school.... Dan,
Sandy *The world could end while I was reading and I would never notice*
EXCERPT: Ah, there's the voice again, soft and reassuring.

'Pitter, patter, pitter, patter.'

She leans forward to listen.

'Listen to the. . .'

But a shriek spoils the moment, too loud in her ears. She looks down and teeters.

'Oh my God, look! There's someone at that window. Oh my God, quick, someone help! I think she's going to jump!'

ABOUT THIS BOOK: Do you really know your friends?

Sue
Jun 19, 2018 rated it liked it
MY HUSBAND’S LIES by Caroline England is a noir thriller, rich on drama exploring many issues such as adultery, lies and deceit and sexuality and “husband lies".

Be prepared to pay close attention at the beginning of the novel, as there are a vast number of characters, that can seem overwhelming at times. I found myself taking notes and jotting down the names of the different characters and their relationship to each other. It took me a little bit to get a handle on who was who.

The central charac
Mandy White
May 13, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: net-galley
I really did struggle with this one.. I really liked the sound of the story but it just didn't work for me.

There were so many characters and I was confused as to who was who and how they all related to each other. It just wasn't for me.

Thanks to Avon Books UK and NetGalley for my advanced copy of this book to read in exchange for my honest opinions
Bex (Beckie Bookworm)
my-husband-lies.png

Arc Book Review
Release Date

This one for me wasn't really my bag at all.
It was also filled with some truly awful individuals that I had great trouble feeling any sympathy for whatsoever.
I mean there were some normal ones as well but I have never seen so many selfish peeps all in one book.
I was frankly for the most part quite bored throughout and I only actually kept reading here because I was waiting for the other shoe to drop; newsflash it didn't.
I also found it quite hard going keeping the whol
Kim ~ It’s All About the Thrill
Jun 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
My thoughts...
This is going to be a review that is hard to write without including spoilers. There was just so much going on and so many twists, that it will be hard not to reveal secrets hidden in the book's plot. I hate when I read a review just to get an idea if I am going to like a book and the reviewer reveals half of the twists. So bear with me and I will do my best not to spoil it for you.

Most people have that group of friends in high school that they share everything with. Usually upon e
Shalini
May 17, 2018 rated it it was ok
After reading the synopsis, I couldn't help but pick up the book..

But as the learned have said, do not judge a book by its cover, I say do not judge a story by its blurb. Thus book took me 15 days to finish. It was shocking to me, I have read only 1 book this month. Gawd! This news was far worse than the story of the novel.

There were a lot of characters, a-lot, so keeping track of them was seriously confusing in the beginning. Then came the secrets, so convoluted are they that I got confused ab
Linda Strong
3.5 Stars

This is a book about lies, secrets, friendship, relationships, mental illness, affairs, and fighting sexual attraction.

There are quite a few characters to get familiar with. Some are married. Some have children. Some are trying for a baby. Some have issues with their parents. The one thing they all have in common ... they all harbor at least one secret and will lie and lie and lie to keep those secrets from being exposed to the light of day.

These people have known each other for many ye
Julie Lacey
May 15, 2018 rated it liked it
I found this book quite confusing at times due to the amount of characters introduced in the first chapter. I noticed another reviewer even had to take notes to keep track of who was who!
The book is about a close knit group of people, and most of them are lying about something.
The ‘A Team’ are a group of school friends, Dan, WIll, Nick and Jen, who have moved on in their lives, but have all remained friends.
The chapters are written from the perspective of different characters and it can get co
Joanne Robertson
Jun 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
It’s wonderful when a local author “does good” so I’m overjoyed that Manchester ex-lawyer Caroline England continues her successful writing career with another best selling domestic noir. After the wonderful Beneath The Skin, here is another slice of deliciously dark and intensely voyeuristic look into the lives of a group of friends. If you’re one of those people who looks at their neighbours and acquaintances wondering if their rosy life is as perfect behind closed doors then this is the book ...more
Erica
Feb 08, 2018 rated it it was ok
Angela
May 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
My Husband's Lies is the story of seemingly 'normal' people on the outside, but scratch below the surface and we have some problem relationships, flaky marriages and unhinged individuals.

The book's opening chapters introduce each of the 'cast' at Nick and Lisa's wedding. There are quite a lot of characters introduced at once and you do have to remember them as couples as well as individuals, so attention is required from the beginning.

Caroline England has a lovely writing style and has woven int
Michelle
Jun 10, 2018 rated it liked it
Review can be found on my blog here: www.booksonthebookshelf.wordpress.com

This book follows the life of 4 friends, known since their childhood as the “A team”. They have been friends since they were younger, and are now adults. The story is told in different POV’s. The 4 friends are Jen, Nick, Will and Dan. Jen is now married and they have 3 daughters together. Nick has just recently gotten married. Will is married with no children. And Dan is expecting a baby with his girlfriend. The story is a
Aleasha
Mar 18, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
This book sorely dragged on and on, but did have the potential to be very intriguing. Lots of betrayal and I daresay the book should actually be called 'EVERYONE'S' lies rather than just the husbands. Jeez, the crap these people get away with and do behind their significant others backs is appalling, scary really. I mean do people's partners actually do this type of thing and live a secretive double life? Anyways getting right back on track - this was okay, not great but just dragged on too long ...more
QHuong(BookSpy)

I was so disappointed at this book. Was it a psychological thriller? No, it was a truly family, couple drama. It focused heavily on the relationships and identities without any suspense or mysteries. The ending was just so lacking and abrupt that it seemed like the main problem that this book pointed out was not thoroughly solved. Somehow it sounded like the author was very hesitant that she didn't know how to end this book, so she had to take that measure just for the sake of ending t
Susan Hampson
May 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a story based round a group of friends that have been in each others pockets since school days. They were and still are the A Team, Will, Dan, Nick and Jen with each of them having partners, wives and family which makes it quite a long list of players in this story. To be honest I really don’t think that the number of characters could have been trimmed but the further you read into the book the more you really get to know who is who. This is all made easier because the chapters are under ...more
L (Daytime Dreamer, Nighttime Reader)
I almost gave up on this book. The cast of characters was daunting. It seemed too gossipy and bs drama for my tastes yet something compelled me to start over albeit slower. It took a couple chapters of flipping back and forth to the character list at the beginning of the book. Thankfully the characters came together in my mind.

The story is intriguing, complicated relationships, forbidden love, heartbreak and yearning, infidelity, mental health, and disaster. The characters are definitely flawed
Michelle Ryles
May 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: galleys-read
Wow! This book is SO good. It's my first Caroline England book but I did buy a copy of her debut, Beneath the Skin, a little while ago; I just haven't had the chance to read it yet. I will be remedying that shortly if My Husband's Lies is anything to go by. One thing I would say before reading it is to write down the names of the characters as the four couples are introduced in quick succession so it would be easy to forget who was who.

There is a 'blip' on Nick and Lisa's wedding day in the form
Norrie
Apr 11, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: dnf
I couldn't finish this. I'm at 30% and just can't go on.

I feel like the title has not much to do with what happened up until now, and it's very disappointing. With a title like "My Husband's Lies" i expected an intimate perspective of a wife and some horrible secrets of her husband. I think in this book that husband is the least of our issue to be honest.

I'm not able to connect with any of the characters, and each chapter seem to tell a different story. This far in the book they should have had
Karen Cole
May 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Nick and Lisa's wedding day should be a joyous occasion for all but especially for Nick's childhood friends - 'The A Team'. Things don't quite go as expected however, when a guest appears to threaten to jump off a window ledge. The group of friends try to move on from the incident and refer to it as 'the blip' but it gradually transpires that there are deep secrets in each of their lives which will test the bonds of their friendship to its very limits. Chapters follow the friends - and Will's wi ...more
booksofallkinds
May 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Jaysus, this book is absolutely crazy and messed up - in an utterly compelling and gripping way but messed up all the same!!

At a wedding reception a group of old friends and their respective partners gather to celebrate and reminisce but when one of them steps out on a window ledge it will set off a chain reaction among the group where long-buried secrets, lies, and betrayals will come bubbling up to the surface with unimaginable consequences.

This book follows a group of friends - Dan, Nick, Wil
Lori
Oct 26, 2018 added it
DNF. I tried. I really did. But it's time to accept I won't be coming back to this one. I was vaguely intrigued by the Dan/Seb storyline, but not enough to drag through the rest of it.
Grace J Reviewerlady
I feel a bit grubby after reading this - sort of how I would expect a peeping tom to feel. I've been a fly on the wall among this group of friends and I know all their innermost secrets . . .

I'm pleased that the blurb doesn't give much away on this one; I'm not really keen on waiting for something to happen which I know is coming in a book. No such worries here - it's a cracking read. As you would expect, there are secrets and lies and boy, are they whoppers! I have been glued to this one, almos
Kavita Kumar-Karthik
You know that saying " Why need enemies when you have such friends ? ", this book made me feel that. The story is about childhoods friends, how are now married or in a relationship. The story starts with one of the women attempting suicide. From there it keeps spiraling out of control, spewing off conceited friendships, hidden agenda, selfish actions and psychotic episodes as well.

I do not want to like this story because I did not like any of the characters. All are malignant and cancerous pulli
Danielle Dent
May 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this. The characters were all likeable and relatable and the threads woven between them all were intriguing and felt real and well developed. I love this type of novel where it’s “family drama” and relationships and what makes people tick. Very Liane Moriarty so if you like that sort of thing this is the book for you. I would have liked a bit more closure - didn’t like the abrupt ending. Thanks to Net Galley and Avon for the advanced copy in exchange for an honest review.
Anna
Jul 24, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 1-star, read-in-2018
Hate it when a book is nothing like the blurb.

'And there are secrets lurking that could destroy everything. Tense, disturbing and clever, My Husband’s Lies is a breath-taking read,' says this one.

Nope. Instead it's a bland meander through various lives where nothing really happens. I carried on reading in case the blurb eventually proved right. It didn't. Complete waste of time.
✟Roxanne✟(Death by Book Avalanche) ☠
4 Stars ★★★★

My Husband's Lies is a noir thriller written by Caroline England. It is also the first book I have read written by this author. If my enjoyment of this novel is anything to go by then I would be definitely interested in reading her other work.

Rating

The story itself focuses on the lives of the main characters who go by the name 'The A Team' and their families. Whereas My Husband's Lies is a good title for the book, it only really touches the tip of the iceberg when it comes to the amount of
Barbara Elsborg
Aug 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
I really liked this. Read it in one sitting on a hot night when I couldn't sleep. I see from a number of reviews that readers had issues with the large number of characters. Usually, that's an off putting aspect for me but in this book I wasn't confused. Maybe because I read it all at one go, I don't know but I was trawled up into the secrets and lies and desperate to know how it was all going to turn out. It was well written, pacy, had interesting characters - not necessarily ones you are inten ...more
Steph Lawrence
May 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
It’s the first book I’ve read by this author, but I’ll be seeking out more for sure.
I met Caroline at an author/blogger meet up in Stoke-on-Trent. I had a promo postcard from her and the book sounded just my cup of tea. What a lovely lady she is, and she had a good natter with everyone. She had some fab trousers on, if only I had the legs to carry them off!
It revolves around four school friends known as The A Team…. Nick, Dan, Will and Jen. And their respective partners and family. The cast was
Hannah
I received this book via Netgalley thanks to the publisher; Avon Books UK in exchange for an honest opinion.

Truly rated 2.5 stars but rounded up to 3 as it was closer to a 3 star book than a 2 star book.

The first few chapters seemed to be slightly dull and dragged on a bit. However, after this the book did get more interesting but also confusion was starting to build as it jumps around quite a bit between each person's personal story the many lies contained within which makes it hard to keep t
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• She Chose Me
  • The Other Wife
  • The Ex
  • The Liar's Girl
  • The Controller (Lynch and Rose #1)
  • My Mother the Liar
  • Her Greatest Mistake
  • When She Returned
  • The Light in the Hallway
  • The Last Thing She Told Me
  • The Other You
Born in Sheffield, Caroline studied Law at the University of Manchester and stayed over the border. Caroline was a divorce and professional indemnity lawyer. She turned to writing when she deserted the law to bring up her three lovely daughters. Caroline has had short stories and poems published in a variety of literary publications and anthologies.

Caroline writes domestic psychological thrillers