Start by marking “The Harper Effect” as Want to Read:
The Harper Effect

The Harper Effect

3.52  ·  Rating details ·  289 Ratings  ·  104 Reviews
Sixteen-year-old Harper was once a rising star on the tennis court--until her coach dropped her for being "mentally weak." Without tennis, who is she? Her confidence at an all-time low, she secretly turns to her childhood friend, next-door neighbor Jacob--who also happens to be her sister's very recent ex-boyfriend. If her sister finds out, it will mean a family war.

But wh
Published May 15th 2018 by Sky Pony Press (first published December 27th 2017)

To ask other readers questions about The Harper Effect, please sign up.
Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) I'm not sure what you are asking about the book or how other goodreads members (other than the author who has an Author Q&A section) can help you.

Jeann (Happy Indulgence)
EDIT: After being threatened with legal action by the author in response to my 2 star review below, I will no longer be supporting this book. I've since dropped it to 1 star. No one should ever feel unsafe for reviewing a book with their honest opinions. The original author's comment is here, and I also blogged about it here.

I enjoyed the glimpse into a professional tennis player's life in this one, and the message behind it in that resilience is built through downfalls.

However, I didn't agree
ambsreads
Dec 11, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
THIS REVIEW IS ALSO ON MY BLOG, PLEASE CLICK HERE TO CHECK IT OUT (the formatting is much better on the blog, trust me)

R E V I E W
Since I read this book in 2017 and this is a review coming in 2018 I just want to quickly mention that this was my 200th read of 2018.

Anyway, The Harper Effect was a contemporary I was excited to read. When my mum was younger she played tennis competitively and was aiming for Wimbledon when her coach passed away and she fell away from the sport. To this day, I don’t t
Aentee
Jan 17, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
If there was an option to give negative stars, I would. Never have I read such badly written prose, poor excuse for chapter development, or uninspiring protagonist. Awful metaphors abound, including but not limited to:

• “He smiles. And his whole face unfastens like a window blowing in the breeze, letting in fresh air and sunshine. It’s as if I’ve witnessed one of the Seven Wonders of the World; seen something not many people get to see.”
The Seven Wonders of the World called, they would like to s
Alexandra
Seventeen dollars for an e-book??? This publisher must have mistaken this author for Steven King.

MC dates her sister's ex-boyfriend knowing it'll hurt her sister? I already dislike her. And I don't tend to like books with unlikable, jerkwad, MCs.

Love triangle? Done to death, and extremely tiresome. Just a lazy way to amp up angst and drama, IMO.

Readers get to have opinions, and express them.
PinkAmy loves  💕 books📖, cats😻 and naps🛏
GR deleted my original review because I criticized the writer’s behavior instead of the book so I’ll only criticize the book and the writing as not something I can recommend. I won’t dump on the writer for her behavior towards reviewers or trash the book in keeping with GR Guidelines. If you decide to read anyway, my strong recommendation is borrow don’t buy.
Madeline
Jan 01, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I feel obliged to write a preface to address the drama surrounding this book. I'll be honest, I don't condone authors threatening reviewers with legal action simply because they disagree with their opinions. But as Bashford has not commented, I have no way to verify the facts of the reviewer. To be honest, it's also none of my business.

The Goodreads community also has a lot to answer for: intentionally giving a book low ratings when you haven't read it, leaving unhelpful and snappy reviews, and
Brittain *The Baddest Female*
My review was just a gif and it still got removed? Really?

Not going to read this book. Ever. Overpriced and sounds pretty terrible in my opinion.

Since when is expressing an opinion grounds for getting a review removed? I wasn't even a bitch this time!
Trisha
So good to read a sporty YA where the sport is part of the plot, part of the MC's journey, and authentically depicted. Plus I love tennis.

Harper does make some silly mistakes, but she learns from them, and always tries to do better. Love the differing views of family, all real, all valid.

Milo is terrific, Jacob needs lots of hugs, Aria flies, Colt is swoony and Harper loves them all.

Wish I knew for sure if this was 2017 or 2018. Messes with my system.
Ann Elise Monte
Jan 16, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nope
My original review was removed for daring to state my reasons for not wanting to touch this book. Fine. We all know why this book isn’t worth reading anyway.
Sammi
 I really enjoyed this book! Also what a brilliant time to release it!! It will make a perfect summer read while you watch tennis on the tv!!

To the book.......
So the overall plot is fairly predictable, but its the details that make this book so enjoyable. Parts of this book make you want to slap the characters because WTF were they thinking!! But as we all know, mistakes are part of growing up, and there are some pretty epic mistakes made in this book.
I know that a lot of people will hate the lo
Tatiana
May 20, 2018 rated it liked it
Recommended to Tatiana by: Kirkus
Shelves: 2018, aus-nz, romancelandia, ya
Kirkus Reviews convinced me to read this. Australia, tennis, romance? Yes, please.

Harper Hunter, a 16-year old aspiring professional tennis player, is failing. She seems to have plenty of skill, but no mental strength to get to the top of the tennis ranking. Her coach abandons her, believing she just doesn't have what it takes to be a winner. Distraught, Harper finds herself at the center of family drama at home too, when her older sister is in a midst of a breakup with their mutual childhood fr
Pocket Full of Pages
Thank you so much Pan Macmillan for sending us a copy of The Harper Effect to review. Thank you for also letting us be part of this blog tour!

'The Harper Effect' by Taryn Bashford is a debuting young adult novel allowing readers to discover the art and lifestyle of a teenager and her dream of becoming a professional tennis player. But for any teenager, this lifestyle includes first loves, friendship, grief and the ability to follow your dreams.

Whilst we made our way through this novel, we couldn
Rob De
Oct 20, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is an engrossing debut novel by Australian author, Taryn Bashford that provides an indepth look at the heady world of the professional tennis circuit.
Beginning with a 17 year old Harper Hunter being dumped by her coach and then her doubts as to whether she is indeed good enough. We journey through her friendships- both with her sister Aria and next door neighbour Jacob the three of whom have been inseparable since childhood. That changed with Harper away on tour so much and Jacob and Aria b
Maddie P
Feb 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I hate to state the obvious, but allegations made by a reviewer who has a personal vendetta against the author cannot necessarily be trusted. In terms of The Harper Effect, like others who have actually read the novel, I loved it. The writing style was really refreshing, being easy to read with some really interesting phrasing that stayed with me, or had me re-reading it just to enjoy it again. The story was fast-paced and the characters came across like real teens even though they were moving i ...more
Colleen
Jan 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book got to my gut! Chortling one minute, digging for tissues the next.
Impressive must-remember-that-one, are the ingenious metaphors and vivid word pictures that spring from the pages.
Set in the competitive world of tennis, it explores awakening young love that can confuse and unravel, but similarly shows how special love can uplift and encourage.
Food for thought for many a teen trying to decipher friendship vs love and the difference between the two.

Morgan Blanch
Jan 17, 2018 marked it as lost-interest  ·  review of another edition
As my original review was taken down, I'm just going to link you to this blog post as to why I won't be reading this book.

If you want an in depth analysis (and a good laugh lets be honest), see this thread.
Jessica M
Dec 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

The Harper Effect is a debut YA novel by Australian author Taryn Bashford, taking the reader deep into the world of professional tennis. It’s as much a romance novel as it is a fun, sporty novel for tennis fans.

I love tennis. It’s probably one of my favourite sports. So to find a YA novel that features this much tennis was amazing. I loved all the behind-the-scenes exchanges and all the travel, and I love how this book wasn’t just about the lead up to one tournament, but
Karen
Feb 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I felt I had to add a little note to my review, because although the author is not a personal friend, I’ve attended many writing events when she’s been present. I’ve always found her to be particularly generous with her help and advice for up and coming writers. She’s also a very down to earth and level-headed person. Her comment here can be interpreted in different ways, but knowing what I know about her, I doubt she said she’d sue over a bad review. Why threaten to do so with this person’s rev ...more
Mark
Jan 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Interesting insight into the world of tennis. Loved the coach Milo character. He reminded me of other coaches in movies like Rocky and The Karate Kid. A page turner!
Daniella Osborne
Straight from the author’s mouth – this vendetta the author refers to started when the author gave the reviewer’s Instagram account a shout out by re-posting one of the reviewer’s photos. The reviewer freaked out that the author had ‘stolen’ her photo even though the author had given credit in the comments and was giving a shout out to her! The reviewer wanted the credit ON the photo. She bombarded the author with copyright law info, then contacted the author’s Instagram followers, telling them ...more
Jen Ryland
Childish. Petulant. Entitled. Engaging in bad behavior.

That's how I'd describe Harper, the main character, and the two guys she's choosing between.

Think I'll pass on this one, thanks.
Alison Quigley
Jan 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Years ago, when my son was barely four, we were failing to make play dough and he turned to me with, “Let’s win it this way.” I was delighted he’d figured out there were many ways to win a game, and it’s an attitudinal state that comes to mind when I read the Harper Effect. Our protagonist Harper Hunter has invested a huge amount of time and effort in becoming a top ranking tennis player and the traditional trajectory, winning through Coach Kominsky, has failed her. The new way to win is much mo ...more
Chloe Hughes
Feb 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So good to read a young adult book that isn’t set in high school or university or life between high school and university. Teenagers do have ambitions to be the next Jelena Djokovic and Lleyton Hewitt and there should be more stories.
The overall story was predictable but that was part of the charm that I loved, the characters were flawed and often making wrong decisions.
Aria getting mad at her sister Harper for breaking the sister/best friend pact not to fall for her ex-boyfriend Jacob and Jacob
abdulia ortiz-perez
I receive this book from the author on a giveaway I won on Instagram. Also for honest review.
I was honor to get this book from the author. This is the first time me reading anything from her. I like the romance and drama in it. Who doesn't like a little drama while reading I do.
You do what you have to do to get where you want to get to. You never let nobody tell you amy different or let somebody bring you down.
The storyline was good, it went well together. The characters was good. It also wen
Kristine Asselin
Mar 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: girl-athletes
Thanks to SkyPony Press for the chance to read this ARC. Great sporty girl YA romance--two hot boys, a jealous sister, and a wizard of a tennis coach combine to make sixteen-year-old profession tennis star Harper Hunter's life a crazy whirlwind of chaos.
Wanda
Mar 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Refreshing read because the characters were very different - in a good way. Accessible, authentic, and their issues were intense because they are all elite at what they do - music and tennis. A real page turner. Seriously read into the middle of the night.
Sophie
I received an Advance Reader Copy from the author. This in no way impacted on my view.

I adore reading contemporary YA, especially when the weather is starting to get better, and an sunny bank holiday weekend seemed to be the perfect time to read The Harper Effect.

In The Harper Effect, our MC is Harper, a 16 year old tennis professional who has just lost her coach, and been told she doesn't have what it takes to become a star. Her sister, Aria, and best friend, Jacob, have been together for a few
Weezie's TBR Beatdown
I had my review taken for supposedly bashing the author when nothing in my review said anything about the author. Keep it classy, Goodreads.

Once again, this book was pretty much the most awful thing I've ever read. Bad behavior glossed over as "good girl motives", nah.
Lauren (Northern Plunder)
i had 13+ likes on my review
Julieann
Apr 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Taryn Bashford’s evocative wordsmithing reads like she is conducting a word orchestra, who then play a magnificent symphony of sentences that flow with a mesmerising energy. I found the story addictive as Harper Hunter’s world became shaken, stirred, upended, swallowed and spat out.
I loved the childhood connections and memories in the story, the emotional turmoil, regret, bad choices, and the growth of the character as she became her own person, working out who she was and what she stood for.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
Taryn lives the typical writer’s life alongside supportive husband, teen children, and characters from her latest book insisting they help make dinner. This can be disconcerting as Jacob is always sticking his fingers in the cheese sauce and Harper can’t cook.

Taryn’s been an English Literature Honours student, an advertising sales rep and a CEO of an internet company, but writing is her first lov