Start by marking “Hey Ladies!: The Story of 8 Best Friends, 1 Year, and Way, Way Too Many Emails” as Want to Read:
Hey Ladies!: The Story of 8 Best Friends, 1 Year, and Way, Way Too Many Emails

Hey Ladies!: The Story of 8 Best Friends, 1 Year, and Way, Way Too Many Emails

Based on the column of the same name that appeared in The Toast, Hey Ladies! is a laugh-out-loud read that follows a fictitious group of eight 20-and-30-something female friends for one year of holidays, summer house rentals, dates, brunches, breakups, and, of course, the planning of a disastrous wedding. This instantly relatable story is told entirely through emails, text ...more
Published May 1st 2018 by Harry N. Abrams

To ask other readers questions about Hey Ladies!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hey Ladies!

Ashley
May 17, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: library, 2018, ebook, 2-stars
Here's the thing: I hated this book, I thought it was obnoxious and insufferable, and hated my life while I read it. However, damn, I couldn't stop reading it. This book is the definition of a train wreck. And, like, I get that that's the point, that's it's a satirical look at groups of girlfriends, and heck, I know I've sent my share of "Hey ladies!" emails... but ye gods. I didn't find this funny or amusing or anything but annoying.

The characters were all obnoxious. Again, that's the point, bu
Abby Lance
May 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2018
Listen, did I hate something about every single one of these women, except Gracie, who is me, and therefore perfect? Yes. They’re all terrible people who you care about in the way you care about your family even though they’re terrible. When *spoiler* can this book even have spoilers? Ali is passed over at first to walk down the aisle even I felt bad for her and I fucking hate her and my best friends name is Ali so that should really say something. The something that it should say is that you wi ...more
Ngiste
May 16, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This is the Girls of fiction. I hate skimmed it. What could have been a funny exploration of modern female friendship was just an unending list of female caricatures. Not one character in this book was compelling or even mildly unselfish (much like girls). It was maybe satirical, but if so definitely didn’t need to be novel length.

2 Stars because i wouldn’t leap and tear this book out of someone’s hands and wouldn’t mind talking about all the ways this book was terrible with someone.
Mary
May 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Listen. Is this high literature? NOPE. Did I hate every single one of these characters at one point or another? YUP. (Except maybe Gracie. Also I might be her, down to the very last page. #owningit.) Was it thoroughly enjoyable and 100% bingeable and exactly what I needed over the holiday weekend? Absolutely yes.

I’ve been on this email thread. YOU have been on this email thread. Markowitz and Moss do a fantastic job of satirizing the tone of the unique vortex of the mass group email and female
Trin
Sep 04, 2018 rated it did not like it
If this had been written by men, it would be considered a hate crime. It certainly was not what I was expecting from anyone associated with The Toast.

I love a good satire, but not one that just perpetuates the idea that women are shallow, backstabbing bitches who are horrible to each other.

Hey Ladies: if you actually have friends who treat you like this, I feel deeply sad for you, and also you need to find some new friends.
Lindsey Hresko
May 21, 2018 rated it it was ok
Reading this book was like watching a marathon of Real Housewives: you can do it compulsively, but you sort of feel icky about yourself during and after the whole debacle. The book was easy to finish - I read it at a sprint - but the whole experience actually made me nauseous.

I get it. This is humor. Maybe even poorly executed social commentary. But while it had brief moments of being relatable, everything was portrayed on such an exaggerated scale that it was all just cringe-worthy. These wome
Amy
Aug 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Every time I read a espitolary style book I always think about how fun it is and how I wish there were more novels written in this style. I think part of the appeal for me is that I feel like I’m getting a secret look at a side of people’s normally private life. This is told solely via emails and texts and even though I know these are fictional characters I still love the intimacy this structure creates, it feels voyeuristic in a super fun way and I always end up binge reading these books in one ...more
Monica Kim: Reader in Emerald City
I’m so glad I didn’t spend a penny on this book and was able to skim throughout it pretty quick @ a bookstore. #sorrynotsorry

This maybe the most unnecessary, obnoxious book I came across, and definitely lost a few brain cells along the way. It’s basically a book of emails between eight friends over a year period. It’s your typical endless friend email thread that you probably have one or two in your box that you just can’t seem to cut off. We’re bombarded with emails, so reading a book about nev
Emily
May 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is one of the funniest and most cringe-inducing things I’ve read, maybe ever. It is utterly ridiculous and 100% based in reality. I’m going to start gifting it immediately...
Elise Fegler
Jun 16, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: book-club
The only redeeming part of the book was that there were some parts of NYC I recognized. Otherwise the characters were horrendous, the friendships were nothing but toxic, and I didn’t laugh once.
Tamara
May 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Hey Ladies!!

When The Toast folded I didn't think I would ever again get my fix of these amazing email threads. When I read Caroline Moss and Michelle Markowitz were coming out with a whole freaking book of Ali, Jen, Gracie, and co., I was elated.

These emails are way too relatable and I hate the bit of me I see in many of these girls. (I like to think I'm a Gracie with a dash of Morgan, but real talk, I'm probably a Katie.)

Hey Ladies! is laugh-out-loud funny. Our girls exchange emails and texts o
Nadja
FULL DISCLAIMER: I FINISHED THIS ONLY TO GIVE IT A FULL-HEARTED 1 STAR REVIEW

I hated it from the beginning.
It was so boring.
These ladies are cold hearted bitches.
And Gracie who was the only accetable turns in the epilogue to a bridzella as well. hoho what a twist. You are so funny and sarcastic ladies. NO YOU ARE NOT!! This book is not smart nor satirical. This is repetitive and stupid and EVERY character is SELFISH AS HELL and obsessed with BOYS BOYS BOYS and THEMSELVES.
If you want girls girls
Kari Ann Sweeney
May 29, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2018
The blurb on the back of this book read, "This is the Bridget Jones's Diary of our time. By the way, Bridget Jones’s Diary is a total masterpiece.” I adore BJD - the books, the movies, the Colin. I'm here for all of it! I have a cat named Jones. So, I obviously had ridiculous expectations.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
I think it's supposed to be satire, but I could barely tolerate this book. The characters are vapid, passive aggressive and ridiculous.  I am struggling to find something positive to say besides the fa
Brooke Nuzie
Jun 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
I almost feel weird giving this book 4 stars because it’s not a “good” book. I read it in about 3 hours, and it was entertaining. I hated actually every character (except Gracie and probably Morgan), but I think because I read it fast it never became too much. In the beginning, I could see all my friends in each of the girls, but as it went on they became wayyyy too stereotypical and were less relatable. Still an overall enjoyable use of 3 hours!
Elizabeth
Jul 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
Hey ladies,

Wow. This book was intense and obnoxious and hilarious and made me cringe far too often. These characters were way too much to handle.... Except Gracie, because she is me and I feel like 85% of us readers can relate to her best. This is because she’s not 100% bat-$hit crazy like the rest of the gal group 😝 we all want to feel like we are not lunatics, but in actuality, we are more Ali, Jen and Nicole-esque than we think are. I’m just speaking my truth here.

Was I the only one who pict
Alison
Apr 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Like another reviewer, I stayed up way too late so I could finish this book. I was a huge fan of the Hey Ladies column at The Toast, and the book is amazing. It's absolutely hilarious, and it builds on the original column in smart and funny ways. There are text messages in here! You get introduced to Helene, one of the Ladies' moms! And there are side plots and intrigue and ... it's just wonderful. I laughed out loud repeatedly.
Neda
Aug 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I quite literally could not put this one down. It was like driving by a car crash and not being able to look away. Each of the girls is so marvelously, deliciously awful - I think I said "jesus christ" out loud over 50 times while reading this. This book is fantastic and awful and I want a reality tv show starring the Hey Ladies.
Maddie McDermott
HOW ARE THESE WOMEN FRIENDS.
The Book Maven
Jul 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
I cannot believe I am doing this, but here I am, doing this:

I am putting this on my "Best Books of 2018" list.

"Why, Bookmaven?" you may ask. "Is your taste in books as bad as your taste in men?" (Spoiler alert: Duh.) I know, I know, and I am sorry! But I must honestly confess...after the first 20 pages, I couldn't put this book down (which for me is an important measure of how much I enjoy a book.) I devoured book within 16 hours of starting it, and I was working and out with friends during a l
Jill
Oct 09, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: humor
This was hilarious! A total fluff read that was entertaining and funny. The characters and events are a big exaggeration, but still gives it a "I've been there" feeling. So relatable!
Jamele (BookswithJams)
Jul 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
I don’t ever remember laughing out loud as much as I did during this read. I thoroughly enjoyed these ladies and their hot mess selves. I didn’t expect the book to be in email format, but it made it so much better. Dying at the phrases after each email, because really, people do that and it’s absurd, and omg I have replied all when I didn’t mean to and had to deal with that awkwardness, but if it happens again I can just say - ‘Whatevs, I’m not sorry, I’m just speaking my truth!’ Seriously, I hi ...more
Danielle
Sep 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
Read this book for the same reasons you would watch Real Housewives or The Bachelor. It’s just hilarious bingeable trash. The book is comprised of emails and text messages with 8 friends over the course of a year. When I first started reading it I was like “ugh this is so offensive I can’t believe all the women are portrayed like this” and then I was like “Danielle, you are binging on Gossip Girl, eating Gardettos by the fistful, and wearing old threadbare yoga pants, chill.” Sure the book might ...more
Emily
Jul 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely hilarious. Sure, every character was wildly unlikable (except Gracie) but this is a perfect book to read at the beach or pool for the summer. It’s not “literature,” but it’s very relatable and made me laugh out loud and that’s worth five stars to me.

Edit: I’ve been thinking about this book every day since I’ve read it and I can’t stop quoting it to my poor family who is tired of hearing about it. Bumped up from 4 to 5!
Mandy
May 27, 2018 rated it it was ok
Quick read with a lot of under-delivered potential. Few of the characters seemed like real people and yet they also weren’t quite over the top comic enough to satisfy. There are a few great zingers but I’d love to see someone handle the awfulness of the wedding industrial complex on friendships with more empathy and a sharper eye.
Priya Solanki
May 18, 2018 rated it it was ok
My friend and I decided to pick up this book after he heard positive reviews, and I have mixed feelings. I like this book for being an innovative format that tells a story in a new and unique way. I don't like this book because almost every character is uniquely annoying and at times I just wanted to yell at them or tell them to shut up. This book advertises female friendship, but these friendships are toxic and not representative of female friendship in the slightest. If you see this book as a ...more
ester
May 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I laughed so much over this book on the subway that a dude next to me asked what I was reading. "It's a satire about female friendships," I told him. "It perfectly captures how obsessive and fraught and even smothering they can be, and also how important they are, and it's all done through emails and texts over a year while these eight friends are planning one friend's wedding."

"OMG," he said, taking a picture of the cover, "that sounds great. I'll have to get it for my girlfriend. She'll love
Leann
I've loved Hey Ladies since its very beginnings, and I was worried a book of it would be taking the joke too far. But no, they do a great job of keeping it fresh and introducing enough narrative to keep it moving. I don't know how it will stand to the test of time, but it's hilarious right now.
April
May 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Holy crap. I can't remember the last time a book made me laugh so much. I'm genuinely excited for friends to get engaged so I can buy them this book. Also, considering the ending, there better be a sequel.
Katelyn Holland
Sep 11, 2018 rated it it was ok
While there are some funny moments in this book it is mostly annoying. There are no characters to root for or relate to, as they are all obnoxious. Reminded me of talking to an old friend that I absolutely hated.
Holly
May 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I feel like I’m most like Gracie but my personal fear is that I’m really most like Ali.

And that is the brilliance of this book. That I can see parts of myself in each of these women, while swearing I’m nothing like any of them.

• An Experience Definitely Worth Allegedly Having: Travel Stories from The Hairpin
  • Charlotte Walsh Likes To Win
  • 500 Things to Eat Before It's Too Late: and the Very Best Places to Eat Them
  • Bab: A Sub-Deb
  • Talk
  • Recipe for Disaster
“All of my close friends and family drive me at least 70% crazy, but in the end it’s completely worth it.” 1 likes