Jump to ratings and reviews

Will Cook for Love #3

Can't Stand the Heat

In Peggy Jaeger’s delectable series, delicious food is just an appetizer for life’s main course: the kind of love that feeds your soul.

With three successful TV series under her belt, including her cousin Kandy’s, executive producer Stacy Peters is ready to helm her own show. But to make that happen, she has to do her network boss one favor first—spend two months on a ranch in Montana wrangling the notoriously difficult director of Beef Battles. Apparently, he eats producers for breakfast. Yet all Stacy can think when she meets the lean, rugged man is how hungry he makes her . . .

Dominic Stamp—Nikko to his very few friends—has had enough interference from TV newbies. And when Stacy climbs out of the car in Montana, he’s not convinced she’s even old enough to drive, much less produce his show. But he can’t deny that the long-legged blonde with the stubborn will and the dazzling smile whets his appetite. And as Stacy proves her talent with the crew and the budget alike, Nikko vows to prove to her that love is on the menu for both of them . . .

Look for exclusive recipes in each book!

357 pages, Kindle Edition

Published April 3, 2018

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Peggy Jaeger

48 books1,624 followers
Peggy Jaeger is the award winning author of the popular WIll Cook For Love series which includes Cooking With Kandy, https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/3... and A Match Made in Heaven Series, https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/4...

Peggy is a contemporary romance writer who writes #RomComs about #strong women, the families who support them, and the men who can’t live without them.

#Family and #food play huge roles in Peggy’s stories because she believes there is nothing that holds a family structure together like sharing a meal…or two…or ten. Dotted with humor and characters that are as real as they are loving, Peggy brings all topics of daily life into her stories: life, death, sibling rivalry, illness and the desire for everyone to find their own happily ever after. Growing up the only child of divorced parents she longed for sisters, brothers and a family that vowed to stick together no matter what came their way. Through her books, she has created the families she wanted as that lonely child.

Her #hobbies include #painting #crafting #scrapbooking and #decoupaging old steamer trucks that she then gives as gifts to her friends

As a lifelong diarist, Peggy caught the blogging bug early on, and you can visit her at peggyjaeger.com where she's blogging about life, writing, and stuff that makes her go "What??!" daily.

She's a lifelong and avid #romance reader and writer, is a member of RWA and her local New Hampshire RWA Chapter

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
1 (2%)
1 star
2 (4%)
Displaying 1 - 27 of 27 reviews
Profile Image for Jen (That's What I'm Talking About).
1,441 reviews255 followers
March 26, 2018
Stacy has successfully produced three cooking shows for the EBS network and is known for being able to get the job done. She recently pitched a new idea for her own show, one her boss is interested in, and tells her he’ll green-light it, if she’ll produce a show for him in Montana. Figuring she can deal with eight weeks on the road, Stacy agrees, only to discover after that the director is one of the best and most difficult in the business.

Nikko doesn’t need anyone from the network looking over his shoulder and making changes to his program, so he was ready to hate Stacy the minute he saw her. However, she’s unlike anyone he’s worked with before and his daughter seems to like Stacy, and the more time he spends around her, Nikko realizes he needs Stacy for more than just his television show.

Can’t Stand the Heat is the third, standalone story from Ms. Jaeger’s Will Cook for Love series. While characters from the first two titles make an appearance in this title, and we originally meet Stacy in the first book, having read the previous books isn’t necessary to enjoy Can’t Stand the Heat. Unlike the first two books (and much to my joy), this story is straight up contemporary romance, without any bit of suspense or danger tossed in. The story focuses on Nikko and Stacy—getting to know one another and learning how to move on from past heartache and pain.

At the start, Nikko is an ass, not just to Stacy, but to all those he works with. He’s a perfectionist and master of his trade, but he’s unkind. His demeanor is in part due to his control freak nature, but also partly due to the physical pain he endures, stemming from a car crash that killed his ex-wife (the mother of his teenage daughter) less than two years prior. Worry for his daughter, whose life was completely rearranged by the death of her mom, provides additional stress, making Nikko unbearable most of the time. Yet, he is a smart man, and he recognizes the truth in Stacy’s kindness and learns how to become a better man by accepting her generosity, which allows him to grow.

Meanwhile, Stacy has her own demons that drive her work ethic. However, she’s balanced, using yoga as an outlet for stress and physical pain. She is open and giving, and great at her job. She refuses to let Nikko scare her off. Yet, she’s strangely attracted to the man, and absolutely adores his daughter. She’s so good-natured, there really isn’t anything bad to say about the woman.

When each started showing an interest in the other, I have to say I struggled with their relationship. As much as I liked both, at first their story was all say instead of do: we didn’t see them growing close, we were only told they each felt a physical attraction. Their interactions were toxic mostly, so the attraction felt off. Yet as the book progressed, Nikko and Stacy spend more time together, and we got to know them better, and we saw barriers come down.

In the end, I really enjoyed Can’t Stand the Heat, and it’s my favorite in the series to date. I appreciated seeing Nikko and Stacy become friends and grow close. I loved Stacy’s connection with Nikko’s daughter. Generally, the characters are good people, and they deserve good things. The ending really warmed my heart.

My Rating: B+ Liked It A Lot
Review copy provided by NetGalley
Originally Posted at That's What I'm Talking About
Profile Image for Donna Simonetta.
Author 7 books227 followers
March 21, 2018
Peggy Jaeger’s book Can’t Stand the Heat, is the third book in her ‘Will Cook for Love’ series, and I have to say––it is my favorite one so far. And that’s saying something, because I loved the first two books!
I really enjoyed the setting of this book, on a location shoot for a cooking competition show. It was an interesting glimpse into the workings of a reality television program, and it also served to get the female protagonist out from the shadows of her more flamboyant family members and let her shine on her own. I liked Kandy and Gemma in the first two books, but I found Stacy to be more relatable.
Nikko Stamp, the male protagonist, is a curmudgeon with a snarky teen daughter. At first, I didn’t see how Stacy and he would work as a couple, but as the author revealed more about his past and character, I could see how Stacy would fall for him. And his daughter was a great, well-developed secondary character.
You could read this book without reading the first two, but I think you’d enjoy it more if you do. Plus, they are excellent stories also!
I love Jaeger’s style of writing. Her dialogue is witty and realistic, and her characters are always interesting and multi-dimensional. If you haven’t read any of her books before, do yourself a favor and get one today. And get comfortable, because once you start reading Can’t Stand the Heat, you are not going to want to put it down!
Thanks to the author and publisher for an advance copy of this book to read, in return for an honest review.
Profile Image for Jacki.
1,040 reviews4 followers
March 22, 2018
Cute and fun
This is my first book by Peggy Jaeger.

What I liked:
The writing style
The characters
Part of a series: Will Cook For Love
Standalone
HEA

I look forward to reading the other books in this series.
I voluntarily read and reviewed an ARC from NetGalley.
64 reviews2 followers
March 13, 2018
I enjoyed Can't Stand the Heat from beginning to end. The cooking show premise and the ranch local was easily relatable, especially to a fan of cooking shows. Stacy Peters, executive producer that knows her way around an active set and uses smiles and understanding to get the best out of people. Nikko Stamp, director and Stacy's polar opposite. He is arrogant, pushy, demanding, and doesn't want anyone telling him how to do his job. When these two butt heads,both on set and off, the tension is so thick you could cut it with a knife but so is the attraction. I did find Nikko's attitude a bit grating at first and desperately wanted Stacy to put him in his place but as the story progressed he won me over. Now add in Melora, Nikko's teenage daughter, who is still trying to grasp her new life after everything she's known has been turned upside down and you have a book that has it all
Profile Image for Becky Burciaga.
1,426 reviews14 followers
February 20, 2018
This story is amazingly emotionally engaging and forthright. With Melora's story running parallel to Nikko and Stacy's there were some very heartbreaking and at the same time heartwarming moments. The way the author has written an extremely important message within the pages of the main one, captivated me from the onset. I was moved on more than one occasion due to how well the characters' joys, sorrows, and challenges were interwoven into the fibers of the story, set in the backdrop of an industry that is intriguing in of itself.

The characters were written with such believability, especially Melora and her teenage snark...she brought the attitude that was hilarious in the frustration it brought to her dad. And yet the love between the two was touching and so real it was as if I was living in the moment with them.

There is so much to enjoy about this story as have been with each book in the series. I hope that there will more forthcoming from the Will Cook for Love series.

This ARC book was complimentary, provided by the Publisher and NetGalley. I am voluntarily providing my honest review.
Profile Image for Bec.
1,627 reviews39 followers
April 2, 2018

Executive producer Stacy Peters is a very determined woman. All she's ever wanted is to helm her own show and now she's finally going to get her chance. Yet, first she has to survive the favor her boss asks of her. Stacy knows she has her work cut out for her, especially when she'll be working alongside Dominic 'Nikko' Stamp -- the director a lot of people find difficult to work with -- for two months on Beef Battles. Will Stacy discover that working with Nikko is the best thing to happen to her, or will their shot at happy ever after never happen?

If you've never read a book by Ms. Jaeger before, then you're missing out on some of the best writing I've ever had the pleasure of reading, especially since her stories feature strong heroines that aren't afraid to challenge the hero and I've got to say that this third book of her Will Cook for Love series is highly entertaining, fast-paced and a read that had me hooked from the very beginning because of Stacy's words. Is her newest assignment really going to be a trip to hell? Is she going to be able to handle working with a notoriously difficult director? However, it was from the moment the hero and heroine meet that had me smiling for the first time in this book, as Stacy isn't easy to get rid like the two previous producers. Will she win Nikko over sooner rather than later? Finding out the answer to that question had me reading quickly, determined to discover when Nikko will see that Stacy is an asset because she's good at what she does.

As for the dialogue, it was intense due to the main characters back stories, as both Nikko and Stacy have been through so much in their pasts. Nikko has struggled to help his daughter through her grief concerning her mother's death and I liked that he gave Stacy a chance to help his daughter Melora, which is proven by everything Stacy does for the teenage girl because the heroine has witnessed someone else in her life dealing with Melora's situation. Moreover, both the main characters are amazing and I loved every moment they conversed, as Stacy works her magic on Nikko time and time again and handles his explosive temper without losing her own, which is quite impressive since there are times where things he blames her for aren't her fault.

As for the heroine, she is resilient, exceptional at her job and I liked how she handled Nikko and didn't need him to come to her rescue with any of the problems she dealt with on set including an annoying and high-maintenance judge that wants everything her way. Will Stacy put the woman judge in her place? While the hero, he's hard-working, doesn't take kindly to people being unprofessional on the job, and I liked the close relationship he has with his daughter, even though Melora is a handful at times and full of attitude. I also liked how determined the hero was to win over the heroine once he realizes that he can't deny his feelings for her anymore.

Overall, Ms. Jaeger has delivered an absolutely captivating read in this book where the chemistry between this couple was off-the-charts; the romance was full of exquisite heat and passion that showed how good these two are together and for each other; and the ending had me cheering for this couple's happy ever after because they're meant to be no matter what happens to cause their relationship to go awry. Will Nikko be able to make things right? Furthermore, it was the final chapter of this book that wrapped this story up brilliantly, as Nikko and Stacy are very happy together and I liked how happy the hero's daughter is for them. Then again, Stacy is a good influence on Melora. I would recommend Can't Stand the Heat by Peggy Jaeger, if you enjoy workplace romances, boss-employee romances, or books by authors Lauren Layne, Miranda Liasson, Sarah Ballance and Jeannie Moon.
Profile Image for Kathy.
526 reviews11 followers
April 12, 2018
I am not a romance genre fan. I loved this book. Couldn’t put it down til I found out the ending. Part of the reason I enjoyed this book was its setting and the occupations of the characters. Maybe I should add that I also loved the book because the storyline was about producing cook-off reality television shows. Not just reality cooking but on a ranch out West, learning to cook the freshest beef and ingredients ever. A beautiful ranch in the West, wow.

I am never ever this much of a cheerleader about a book like this but it contained a little of everything. The scenic description by Peggy Jaeger made you feel as if you were right there on that ranch. Right there with her characters, from Stacy, the newly assigned Executive Producer and the ranch hand to the raving Technical Director and his sweet young daughter trying to find her way. Each character had a personality of his or her own and I liked them…well…most of them, but that’s how it’s supposed to be isn’t it? Being best friends with all of the characters would be a pretty bland book. There’s some sadness in this book along with some anger but it has its humorous and its sweet moments too. I didn’t feel there was any type of explicit sex in this book. There was longing and loving but nothing embarrassing to me and romance was very seldom the main topic. When I say nothing embarrassing to me, it means a lot. One of the reasons romance is not usually a genre I enjoy reading is because some of it does embarrass me; makes me feel uncomfortable. That’s not anything I’m ashamed to say here, it’s just true. This book was tough and sweet and so well-written that you really wanted it to end your way. It’s worth reading to see what really does happen.
This is Book 3 in the Will Cook for Love series. This book could definitely stand alone but somehow having looked at the great ratings Jaeger has online, I’d read all three books in this series and hope she’s busy writing Book 4.

**This book was provided to me in exchange for an honest review.
Profile Image for K.T. Castle.
Author 3 books245 followers
May 14, 2018
Peggy is a great writer, so I didn’t think twice about reading her new romance. Plus, she was the most awesome cooking tips throughout any of her stories and is happy to share with us her knowledge. Her stories are about love, but you can always see her passion for cooking in her words.

Stacy Peters is hands down a wonder woman. She is compassionate, she is driven, and she is crazy handy… she can honestly solve any difficulty presented in the line of duty. It’s impressive. This woman is a walking problem solver, and it’s impossible not to care about her immediatedly. So, when the story begins she’s asked to go and be the executive producer to one of the most challenging (and that’s putting it mildly) directors of TV cooking shows. She only agrees to go because she’s promised a great deal out of it, but, boy-oh-boy, it was nothing like she would expect.

Dominic Stamp, or Nikko, is not the kind of main character you would expect. He’s far from charming, quite the opposite. He’s arrogant, stubborn, proud… not to mention volatile. At the begining of the story I wanted nothing more to slap him and tell him to chill. He’s rude to everyone, and I mean everyone under the sun. But as the story develops it is clear why he’s the way he is, and with Stacy in the mix he eventually becomes a person worthy of admiration and love.

It is clear from the begining that they’re attracted for each other (although it was hard to accept for me that they could place their differences aside and let it grow into more). There’s a lot going on around these characters. Not only are they working together, but they both have a complicaded past (including Nikko being a single father). They both have different ways to cope with everything happening in their lives, and eventually learn to work together up to the point that they fall in love and find their HEA.
Profile Image for Tena Stetler.
Author 23 books499 followers
April 2, 2018
This is the third book in the Will Cook for Love series. I’ve read Cooking with Kandy (first book) A Shot at Love (second book) and figured I would enjoy the third book as well. I was right.
What’s it about?
In order to get a chance at her own show, executive producer, Stacy Peters agrees to spend two months on a ranch in Montana wrangling a notoriously difficult director, Dominic Stamp. Yet things are not always as they appear. Underneath it all, he is a loving father to a teenage daughter with an eating disorder, and suffers from an injury received during an accident that killed his ex.
Stacy is a professional with a talent to calm and keep everything running smoothly, even when her words are twisted and motive questioned. Will Stacy’s personal and professional live survive? Will Dominic and his daughter see through the ruse created by the hateful diva? You’ll have to read the book to find out. I highly recommend Can’t Stand the Heat.
My Take on the Book.
I was invested in the characters and the story from the first page. So much so, that quite often I wanted to shake Dominic for being such a tyrant, but loved how Stacy stood up to him and befriended his daughter. I wanted to strangle the manipulative #%*# diva that was forever causing problems. I laughed out loud at some of the pickles Stacy, Dominic (Nikko) and his daughter got into. See what I did there, pickles – food—cooking book. You know you want to smile. LOL

Oh, there's yummy recipes at the end of the book, too.
Profile Image for Monica.
Author 7 books46 followers
April 25, 2018
Wonderful read!

Loved the concept - Behind the scenes of a cooking show
Loved the setting - Montana ranch

Nikko is a flawed hero, scarred by the accident that killed his first wife. He struggles with his injuries and with a teenaged daughter battling her own demons related to the accident. Intro Stacy, the perfect heroine to guide these two through their healing process. The problem is that she's agreed to work as an executive producer on a troubled cooking show, to manage Nikko, a demanding director with a reputation for hot-headed control issues. If she succeeds, the payoff is creative control on a show of her own. But the journey is full of pitfalls that will challenge them both, and learning to trust will demand all they have.

I thoroughly enjoyed reading this story. Stacy is a heroine that keeps a calm head in the face of Nikko's explosive personality. She sees behind the gruff exterior to the heart of a man battling grief and physical pain. Watching her become the grounding force for father and daughter, two worthy yet broken characters, offers the reader a warm emotional story guaranteed to pull on your heartstrings.

Can't Stand The Heat is the first book I've read by Ms. Jaeger, but the third book in the series. It's a standalone, thoroughly entertaining, and I wholeheartedly recommend.
Profile Image for ⚜️XAR the Bookwyrm.
2,311 reviews17 followers
April 21, 2018
FTC DISCLAIMER: I RECEIVED AN E-ARC FROM THE PUBLISHER THROUGH NET GALLEY. I VOLUNTARILY OFFER MY HONEST REVIEW OF THE BOOK, THOUGH IT IS NOT EXPECTED OF ME! RECEIPT OF THIS BOOK IN THIS MANNER DOES NOT AFFECT MY OPINION OF THE BOOK OR THE CONTENT OF MY REVIEW!

I was actually pleasantly surprised by this story. I was reluctant to give the second book a four star rating, but not so with this installment! I was engaged and enjoyed my time reading it!

My chief complaint was with Stacy, because I found it hard to believe that she'd never blow up at Nikko. It just didn't feel realistic. There were other aspects of the book that I also didn't find realistic, especially with regard to Nikko's daughter, but on the whole I was able to ignore them and enjoy the story.

The other complaint I have is that I felt that the daughter's illness wasn't enough of a focus, like it was there just for the minor conflicts it provided. I would have liked to see more of her journey to wellness, as I think it would have been a force for helping other women in a similar situation.

The story itself was interesting, with a bit of a different twist from the previous books in the series. I liked that there was less reliance on Kandy's character, making Stacy stand on her own two feet as a leading lady. This is the book that I would heartily recommend in the series!
Profile Image for Jennifer.
27 reviews
April 1, 2018
This is the third book in the Will Cook for Love series and I just loved it! The fact that both Stacey and Nikko had to work through their pain made the story so relatable. The location shoot and multiple personalities were so well written they added flavor to story.
Nikko is a man dealing with not only his own physical pain but his daughters as well. These factors and his terrible temper make Stacey not think much of him at first. In her usual calm and unflappable way Stacey takes his temper and sees through to the pain below.
When they finally come together the sparks sure fly.
Profile Image for Ruby Scalera.
44 reviews6 followers
March 18, 2018
Peggy hits it right out of the park with this book! As much as I adore Kandy and Gemma's tales of love, I think Stacy's story might just be my favorite! In addition to dynamic, flawed, individual characters that evolve organically and fall in love in believable, wonderful ways, Peggy addresses complicated issues of grief, physical pain, and the emotional issues that often follow loss, all in a true, honest and respectful way.

The setting is unique, the story is real and the love is well-earned. I loved each of the individual characters and the dynamics forged between them, and the character development over the course of the book was well-earned and respectful to their internal struggles. I absolutely loved Stacy as a heroine and Nikko met her match for match.

Peggy gets better with every book and she is most definitely a one-click author for me for life! I can't wait for the next one!

*An ARC was provided to me for an honest review*
Profile Image for Bookschatter.
Author 1 book95 followers
March 23, 2018
My rating: ★ ★ ★ ☆  I liked it a lot   (equivalent to 4 stars on Amazon)

"Can't Stand the Heat" is my first taste of Peggy Jaeger's writing and the third instalment in her  "Will Cook for Love" series, which follows the lives and loves of the Laine sisters (six of them) and their family, such as their cousin, and our heroine, Stacy Peters. All novels in this contemporary romance series are standalone and have a Happily Ever After (HEA).

On 20 March 2018, Peggy Jaeger wrote a piece for our blog where she described the elements that she feels are the pillars of any good romance story, her " Romance Must-Haves "; I was excited to find all of these amply delivered in her own work.

The third person narrative effortlessly and vividly sets the scene and alternately unfolds the innermost thoughts of the two protagonists, executive producer Stacy Peters and her antagonistic director Dominick (Nikko) Stamp, whilst interspersing funny capers from a host of minor characters. Nothing feels superfluous.

There are a couple of fairly graphic steamy sex scenes, however these are  perfectly timed, non-gratuitous and serve to enrich the story and character development. Jaeger also addresses several tough and sensitive issues, such as bereavement, eating disorders, traumatic events and their physical and psychological consequences, in a serious but not overbearing manner. The overall feel of the book is romantic, funny, emotional but positive and light.

The characters are very well developed, realistic and relatable; like peeling an onion, personalities are revealed a layer at a time. The dialogue and background (the filming of a professional cooking competition, Beef Battles) authentic, down to the annoying, "like", speak of Nikko's teenage daughter, Melora.

My only criticism relates to the crisis at the end of the second act of the plot prior to the promised HEA. As the story progressed I felt there were events which had been set up to lead to a couple of possible crisis scenarios, involving Melora and another minor character, which could have developed more organically than the rather obvious catalyst which was actually used. To me, this part felt a little forced / overplayed / not completely consistent with the emotional stage the two protagonists had reached. I suppose, I expected better from both of them.

As an added bonus for all meat lovers, this books also includes four lovely "Recipes from the Dixon Ranch": Sweet & Saucy BBQ Sauce, Chicken Fried Steak, Spicy Short Ribs, and Cheesy Corn Frittata (which I shall try out myself 😉).

On final analysis, I thoroughly enjoyed "Can't Stand the Heat" and would not hesitate to read the rest of the series. "Can't Stand the Heat" is a thoughtful emotional romantic read with wit, strong women, a worthwhile love-interest, some steam and a satisfying HEA.

[ARC received via Netgalley and Goddess Fish Promotions]

First published on BooksChatter
Profile Image for Bella.
926 reviews3 followers
February 28, 2018
4.5stars
I really enjoyed reading this book. It is romantically, intense, a story about family drama and struggling with pain and loss. I loved both Nikko and Stacy. She was an amazing character, caring, loving really a women warrior like her grandmother had said. She was trough so much already in her life and had learned how to be strong and operate in her working field. Nikko although very arrogant and at first unpleasant is also a great person. He was bitter because of his past and he was in constant pain. But he was also caring father, a person who admitted his mistakes and apologize for it. The whole concept of the story is very well written and spiced with food and love.
I volunteered to review an ARC of this book for Netgelly
Profile Image for Katy.
111 reviews
September 17, 2021
Fabulous!

I’ve flown through this series the last couple of days, and this third one is just as great as the first two. I loved Nikki and Stacy together, and Stacy’s relationship with Melinda is just heartwarming. Another winner!
Profile Image for Katie O'Sullivan.
Author 27 books162 followers
October 25, 2018
Peggy Jaeger delivers once again, with a captivating contemporary romance full of slow burn chemistry that sizzles off the page. If you haven't read one of Ms. Jaeger's books yet, you're in for a treat! If you're already a fan, Can't Stand the Heat will not disappoint.

First though, can I complain a little about the cover art?

I may be overly picky, but Kensington is a big name publisher, right? I'd like to think that the cover artists try to reflect the characters in the actual story. The blonde on this cover kind of resembles the Stacy in my imagination (except, of course, you can see her forearm, which she Always wears long sleeves, for reasons we discover halfway through the story, so bit of incongruity there.) But the guy? No way. He's not Nikko. First of all, he's supposed to tower over Stacy, not be the same height. And second? He's too young. Just...no.

Okay, rant over. Back to the good stuff - the story. The characters. The lyrical way Ms. Jaeger writes, describing emotions and inner turmoil so precisely that the reader feels it swirling through themselves as well as the characters.

The story takes place in Montana during the hottest part of the summer, where a seasoned television crew has taken over a cattle ranch to film a reality television show titled Beef Battles. The director is a notoriously hotheaded perfectionist who's already fired two executive producers and is already overbudget. The network executives make a deal with Stacy Peters to rein it all in and make it work. She's a young but seasoned food network EP who's already made a name for herself as a miracle worker with fast-paced and/or troubled productions. If she can work her magic with Beef Battles, the network has promised creative control over a show of her own.

Nikko Stamp is an unrepentant perfectionist with control issues dialed to the max, and no time to waste with "babysitters" sent by the network to slow him down or question his vision. He and Stacy get off to quite the rocky start, but she surprises him at every turn by staying calm, cool, and professional, despite his angry outbursts, despite the diva judges, and despite the near constant 100 degree heat of a Montana July. On top of that, the woman pushes buttons he thought had long ago died, making him want things he thinks he doesn't deserve or have time for.

On top of the issues with the show, Nikko's troubled teenage daughter is staying with him on set. It's been two years since her mother died in a car accident where Nikko was driving and also badly injured. It was almost too late when Nikko realized she'd developed an eating disorder as a coping mechanism for the uncertainty and upheaval in her life, and now can't let her out of his sight.

The story has many layers, each so interesting and woven together with the rest like a multi-hued tapestry. I could have happily read a longer version of this book, where more scenes were played out between the minor characters and other storylines pursued more fully. The behind-the-scenes views of the reality cooking show were so much fun, especially where my son and I watch so many of them on cable already. But this isn't just a "reality television" romance. I've read several of those in the past. This one is more.

The main focus of this story is the relationship between Stacy and Nikko. How two broken people with pain and secrets can learn to trust one another, both in a professional capacity as well as personal. How a people-pleaser and an angry hothead can come together to create chemistry that sizzles off the page. How love can heal, if you give it a chance.

Totally recommend this book and this entire series.
Profile Image for Toula.
2,149 reviews
July 2, 2018
This was a great read. I have Peggy in Audio. . This story was great. It had lots of twists .
Stacy is the Heroine. Nikko is the hero

Stacy gets an opportunity to do her own project. She’s excited about it. There is one catch. She has to produce Nikkos next one in Montana. Stacy doesn’t know what she agreed to
Nikko has a bite always seeming he’s angry with the bite.
But slowly he and Stacy learn to give and take ..... so they can do the cooking competition
Profile Image for Books and Spoons.
1,613 reviews28 followers
May 10, 2018
An emotional, fun, and ardent story set in the middle of a television cooking show.
I have enjoyed immensely Peggy Jaeger's Will Cook For Love series. The way she tells a story it pulls you in the middle of the heat, so to speak. It is alluring, making it impossible to put the book down until the end. You are engaged with the character, you are cheering for them, and you will want to know their destiny, how they will work things out, will they be able to do the hard things, and open their mind and hearts to love.
I absolutely loved Stacy Peters. She is a true warrior, she is a peacemaker, she is Switzerland, she is a caring, confident, kind person, so easy to like. She knows what she wants in life, she is not afraid to go after it, she is talented, organized, structural, a person of order... I admired her, I liked her, I wanted her to get all her heart desires. She has had it rough growing up, there are deep wounds in her mind that she needed to work with, but she is resilient, she has the will and ability to overcome the biggest hurdles, and that just made me respect her even more.
Her relationship with the young Melora, Nikko's daughter, was heartfelt and sweet. I loved the bond between them, the honesty they had with each other, the witty dialog, and the teenage angst mixed with the sweetness, and feeling lost, it was all done so incredibly well. Melora's eating disorder, wow, the raw honesty the author brings to the table, and to the tale, just floored me and touched my heart. So so real, heartbreaking, and factual the battle Melora fights, even the way Nikko wrestled with his daughter's disorder, just truly authentic and true.
Now, Nikko, umm... I had to admit, as much as the story enticed me, he, not so much. As a father, yes, but as a lover, the hero, I struggled with him. When the hero is a completely arrogant and rude jerk most of the story, it is always a risk an author takes, to balance all the audacity with positive vibes so that the readers will connect with him. I might be, most likely am, in the minority here, but I needed more, wanted more, from him, to show that he really is worthy of Stacy. For me, this just tells how much I was emotionally invested in the tale, in the characters, and in their wellbeing.
There's another point with Nikko, or the relationship, that I wished would have happened. There's the fact that he is the boss of Stacey, and they end up in a physical affair. I was expecting and waiting for the conversation about consent, what will happen with her already turbulent job if things do not work in between them? The thoughts go through his and her mind, but the conversation was never materialized. I wish it would have.
So, Nikko could have worked a bit harder to win my heart, but he and Stacey heat up the pages, allure each other in a sensual and sizzling tale. Add the drama of the teenage mind with Melora, the trouble, and challenges in the television world, and you have a tale with lots of heat, heart, laughter, and love. This series is not to be missed by any romance fans, especially the foodie romance readers.
~ Four Spoons
675 reviews6 followers
March 26, 2018
This is a voluntary review of an advanced copy.

Whew! This book is hot! Stacy was just so calm & cool and Nikko was just the opposite - but not always in a good way. It was fun to watch as he would get so upset and Stacy would come along and he could feel her then calm down.

Throw in Nikko's teenage daughter who has anorexia, which you just can't help but feel for her in spite of her angst. Stacy not only has a good influence on Nikko but his daughter, Mel.

But you know without conflict, the story would be boring. Just when you think that Nikko and Stacy are well on their way to being a couple, throw in a viper and her poisonous words and Nikko doesn't give Stacy an opportunity to tell her side of the story.

After seeing Stacy with her cousins - Gemma and Kandy, I loved how these women cared for each other and looked out for their family. When Stacy called Kandy, all she needed was one word, and Kandy was there to rescue her.

As I have not read the previous books, I can say that this book can easily be read as a stand alone so it was not necessary to read previous books but I really want to read more about these wonderful cousins! It was great that even after Nikko turned his back on Stacy, she went to her cousin, Gemma, and helped Nikko's daughter get an internship. Only thing I didn't see and would have liked to (hope I didn't miss it when reading) was Nikko thanking Stacy for the internship.

I loved the part where Stacy went in at the end to see where she stood with her show and how she didn't have a fight on her hands and every thing fell into place. Even the ending was just perfect!
Profile Image for Joanne Guidoccio.
Author 13 books398 followers
April 10, 2018
Having thoroughly enjoyed the previous two books in the Will Cook for Love series, I looked forward to reading this latest installment. An evening or two with Ms. Jaeger’s delightfully flawed characters and well-plotted storyline can be compared to a perfectly brewed cup of tea. Hot and sweet enough to satisfy the most discerning of tastes. After reading Can’t Stand the Heat, I would go one step further and add a delicious scone to the mix. Ms. Jaeger has surpassed all expectations and presented us with her best work to date.

I was captivated from the start and found myself rooting for both Stacy and Nikko as they struggled with their personal and professional challenges during a two-month television shoot on a hot, sweltering ranch in Montana. A seasoned health professional, Ms. Jaeger includes expert advice on dealing with excruciating pain, eating disorders, and lingering grief. And, with a nod to her foodie self, four mouth-watering recipes.

My only complaint…The series has ended.
1,108 reviews
June 6, 2018
This is the third book in the Will Cook for Love series. It is an enjoyable read. Stacy Peters, who appeared in the two previous installments, has an idea for her own show. Her boss says he'll allow her to do the show if she goes to Montana and serves as executive producer for a show called Beef Battles. The show is directed by Dominic "Nikko" Stamp who is notoriously difficult. Stacy thinks two months are worth having her own show. When she arrives, Nikko is everything she's been led to believe. But, she also recognizes that he is in pain. She wants to help. She becomes friends with his 15-year old daughter who is fighting a health issue. She helps them both and does a great job in her role. Nikko and Stacy begin a relationship which the star of the show tries to sabotage. The story has a happy and satisfying ending. I liked and respected both main characters and wanted their relationship to succeed.
Profile Image for Kari Lemor.
Author 30 books152 followers
February 15, 2018
Can't Stand the Heat by Peggy Jaeger is yet another great romance by this author. These characters were outstanding. I love the feelings that were pulled out of me when this story unfolded. Each unique individual was well-crafted and exciting. I'm not a fan of typical arrogant alpha males but we got to the heart of this one allowing us to understand his choices. It was so nice to see how much he cared for his daughter and that she was his first priority. Lovely! I hope this author has more for us soon as she pulls me in and doesn't let go until I've sailed through each story!
83 reviews1 follower
April 11, 2018
Stacy was great very humble and helpful

Cool calm and collected in the time of a storm. Wanted her to have fighting drama like her cousin. I believe she could have taken jade. Someone needed to take her down with all that mess she had started.
Profile Image for Wanda.
100 reviews8 followers
November 6, 2022
Another great book to an awesome series by Peggy Jaeger.
Profile Image for Billie.
930 reviews79 followers
Read
February 27, 2019
No rating, no review because I read this for a specific purpose/project and don't want to say anything until that is complete.
Displaying 1 - 27 of 27 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.