Start by marking “Made by Maxine” as Want to Read:
Made by Maxine

Made by Maxine

Meet Maxine, an inspiring young maker who knows that with enough effort and imagination (and mistakes), it's possible to invent anything.

Maxine loves making new things from old things. She loves tinkering until she has solved a problem. She also loves her pet goldfish, Milton. So when it's time for her school's pet parade, she's determined to create something that will
Published October 9th 2018 by Dial Books

To ask other readers questions about Made by Maxine, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Made by Maxine

Start your review of Made by Maxine
Raven Black
Jun 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Not sure I like the idea that Maxine uses things around the house without permission (the vegetables and her old toys) but the concept of "thinking big and doing it" is a nice message. The humor about the fish (what it is or isn't doing or understand, after all he is a fish and it is hard to tell) is amusing and in some ways, adult but totally kid friendly.
Jillian Heise
Perseverance, creativity, making. Pair with The Most Magnificent Thing.
Christina Reid
Fun book about how creativity can overcome most, if not all, challenges! Full review now on my blog, complete with pictures.
Lindsi (Do You Dog-ear?)
Nov 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
I received an ARC from the publisher in exchange for an honest review. My thoughts and opinions are my own. Any quotes I use are from an unpublished copy and may not reflect the finished product.

My son loves to use household items to build things! We have a craft box that is full of odds and ends we've collected over time. There are a few toilet paper rolls, plastic silverware, buttons, leftover yarn, rubber bands, and even a seashell or two. When we decide to do something crafty, the kids have
Mary
Apr 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Admittedly, it is rare for someone to gift us a book that is completely new to me This years completely new-to-me book that we are THRILLED to have is Made by Maxine, by Ruth Spiro (you may already know her Baby Loves Science board books, like Baby Loves Coding!) and illustrated by Holly Hatam (who also illustrated Dear Girl).
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
Made by Maxine tells the story of Maxine, a young tinkerer, who loves making new things from old things. But it is so much more than simply a story about a girl
Cindy Mitchell *Kiss the Book*
Made by Maxine by Ruth Spiro, illustrated by Holly Hatam. PICTURE BOOK. Dial Books for Young Readers (Penguin), 2018. $17. 9780399186295

BUYING ADVISORY: Pre-K, EL (K-3) - ADVISABLE

AUDIENCE APPEAL: HIGH

Maxines class is having a pet parade and she is determined to find a way to let her pet fish participate. Luckily, Maxine is good at building things and she has lots of ideas for making her fish mobil. Many of these ideas do not work at first, but she keeps trying and makes the perfect mobil tank
Jj
I enjoyed this one more than I had thought I would. There are a number of books like this out nowadays, the young female inventor/tinkerer who puts her creativity and hard work to use in her everyday life. This one was engaging. I liked the character of Maxine, along with her peculiar but inspiring dedication to her pet goldfish, Max. She experiences her share of failures in the inventing process, but is determined and achieves the desired outcome in the end. The lack of repetitive phrases of ...more
Diane
If I can dream it, I can make it!

Maxine loves making new things from old things. She de-constructed and re-constructed. Unscrews and re-glues. When she sees Milton in a pet shop (Was he waving to her? Since he was a fish, it was hard to tell.), she decides he deserves a much bigger place to live than a little bowl. So she created a fabulous fish tank and a pedal-powered fish-feeder.

Then the teacher announces that they are going to have a pet parade at school. Maxine wants Milton to be there,
Sheri
Nov 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
I love reading about inventive kids who take action and make things work like Maxine does in this story. Maxine is inventive and finds a way to bring her fish to the pet parade, but like all inventors it takes multiple tries to find a way. Good book for teachers to read to students before a project and to show trying to solve the problems that come up in making something new for a project and accomplishing the task. Reminds me of the title; Crafty Chloe.
Bookish
Oct 13, 2018 rated it it was ok
How does this book plot differ from The Most Magnificent Thing? A tinkerer likes to make things, tries and fails to make something awesome, but -- yay! -- is persistent and makes a mobile device for her pet. *yawn* Been there, read that.
Amber Webb
Oct 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Phenomenal book about perseverance, problem solving and STEM. I loved it and couldn't wait to use it with my preschool STEM class. The story of Maxine creating and tinkering, constructing, deconstructing and reconstructing is perfect for reminding kids that failure is not the end, but only the first try. Highly recommend!
Alyssa Gudenburr
A great story about a girl and her inventions for her pet goldfish. Has a great message about not giving up. "She had already discovered a million ways that would not work. Which meant she was getting closer to finding a way that would." Would be best enjoyed as an one-on-one story in order to see all the details in the illustrations.
Producervan in Cornville, AZ from New Orleans & L.A.
Made by Maxine by Ruth Spiro. Illustrated by Holly Hatam. Published October 9th, 2018 by Dial Books.

Has all of the three Cs: Cute, Colorful, Creative! Great picture book read for your curious child, crafter or tinkerer about a young girls determination to make her impossible situation work with her pet goldfish. Text is combined with colorful, clever illustrations. Highly recommend!
Holly Mueller
"If I can dream it, I can make it!" Maxine's determination to make sure Milton, her goldfish, is in the school pet parade makes this the perfect book to add to my growth mindset collection. It reminds me very much of The Most Magnificent Thing by Ashley Spires. Maxine shows us how to make mistakes, fail forward, and keep trying until you make something wonderful!
Lynn  Davidson
Mar 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Maxine is a girl who loves to recycle old things to build new things. One day her teacher tells the class to bring their pets to school for Pet Parade day, but since Maxine's pet has no feet, being a fish, Maxine figures out a way to allow her pet to march, too. Determination and good thinking.
Great illustrations.
Amy Oberts
Dec 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
"Made by Maxine" combines several initiatives present in current learning environments--makerspaces, Rube Goldberg-inspired projects, and "can-do" attitudes grounded in a commitment to pursuing success, even if it means first experiencing failure. An intriguing story that could easily be shared with a wide age-range of listeners.
BrocheAroe
Rosie Revere (an engineer), Ada Twist (a scientist), and blue-haired Charlotte (who makes a Doll-e 1.0) all know a thing or two about dreaming big dreams and creating innovative things - now they can add Maxine to their STEM-inspired girl gang!

Jul 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Maxine says if she can dream it, she can make it, and she does! Maxine wants to participate in her class pet parade, but she has a fish named Milton. Fish don't have feet. Fish cannot march in a parade. Maxine is determined to find a way to include him. Perfect book for determined STEM students.
Miss Sarah
Jan 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
A young inventor gets a new pet and dreams up a lovely new habitiat for him but when the pet parade happens at school she has to decide about her loyalty to her friend or her clasmates comments. Cute. Elementary and up. Very creative
Jesse
Feb 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
For fans of stories featuring girls with ingenuity! Maxine wants to include her pet goldfish in her class's pet parade, but first she needs to invent a contraption to do so. It takes several tries, but she gets it. Love the trial and error and that she doesn't give up!
Karrie Chajkowski
Jul 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Received this book from the author at nErD Camp MI and completely fell in love with Maxine! Fun story for primary students focusing on the engineering design process and reimagining items from your daily life! Perfect for fans of Spires The Most Magnificent Thing! ...more
Yapha
Oct 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Super fun book, perfect for maker spaces! Maxine tries and fails and never gives up until she finaly figures out how to make what she needs. Highly recommended for Kindergarten and up.
Edward Sullivan
Oct 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Maxine, who loves to make new things from old things, knows the limitless possibilities of imagination and invention.
Robin
Oct 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
My kid wanted to make something immediately after reading this book. Good STEAM content. Recommended for ages 5-7.
Sue Mosher
Oct 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great for teaching kids about "making" -- not being afraid to fail, using things you have to make other things, etc. -- and a fun story to boot.
Margaret Boling
10/27/2018 ~ Great to hear the author talk about how the illustrator added to the story.
Shari
Nov 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrensbooks
This book has it all! A story of a girl engaged with STEM, a message of persistence, and a perpetual favorite with children-pets.
Kelly
Maxine is a very clever girl who comes up with a way to share her fish in the classroom pet parade.
Viviane Elbee
Jan 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Cute STEM book for fans of tinkering, inventive characters - with a heartwarming friendship theme too.
Kim
Feb 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Maxine fell in love with Milton, a goldfish. She brings his home but his bowl is boring so she builds a better one.

• Truman
  • Hair Love
  • The Book Hog
  • Adrian Simcox Does NOT Have a Horse
  • Let the Children March
Ruth Spiro is the author of the Baby Loves Science series, published by Charlesbridge. These adorably illustrated board books contain expert-reviewed science, yet are simple enough for the very youngest readers. Another new picture book series, Made by Maxine, will be published by Dial in October, 2018.

Ruth is a frequent speaker at schools and conferences, and recent presentations include the